Remember again

Voice

 

CHAPTER 41

 

“Pardon…”

 

“Ah! Kyuhyun!”

 

“Eh?”

 

The time froze. What happened was, Kyuhyun opened the door of the infirmary, normal as he can be but he surprised the people inside instead, Leeteuk who exactly didn’t expect the arrival. Kyuhyun was surprised himself because Leeteuk was not alone. She was at the window, with Kangin. Maybe talking, or maybe not, for sure, he came at the wrong timing.

 

“Sorry?” Kyuhyun grinned awkwardly

 

“Hey Kyuhyun.” Kangin waved casually.

 

“Hey hyung.” Kyuhyun greeted back, also casually leaving Leeteuk alone all anxious.

 

“Wha…what are you doing here, Kyuhyun?” she asked, shuttered, shielding Kangin from Kyuhyun’s stare.

 

“I’m visiting. What about you, hyung?” he gave the question back to Kangin.

 

“Well, I’m here…”

 

“Nothing!” Leeteuk fast cut off Kangin’s words, “He just wants to ask me something right?” she answered on his behalf, “And you’re leaving already right? Then, go.” She pushed the latter away from the window.

 

Kangin wanted to laugh watching Leeteuk’s nervousness, but he tried his best to hold it out. He exchanged a glance with Kyuhyun and they smirked at each other.

 

“Alright…songsaenim…I’ll see you again.”

 

He winked before leaving.

 

Leeteuk turned red but she sighed in relief after the boy was gone.

 

“You don’t have to chase him away you know, aunt. I am okay with you and him.” Kyuhyun spoke up, “Well, unless he didn’t know anything about me and you, then I guess it’s fine if you chase him away.” He added more.

 

Leeteuk sighed again, “There’s nothing to worry about, Kyuhyun. And yes, he didn’t know about you and me. That’s more of reason why I chase him.” She said dejectedly.

 

Kyuhyun shrugged. His aunt really is secretive and it’s pointless to go against her in that matter.

 

“What are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to have club activities now?” Leeteuk asked again, more at ease this time.

 

Kyuhyun grinned. He walked closer to her and put a package on the table. Leeteuk looked in puzzled.

 

“Halmoeni wanted me to give you this.” He answered Leeteuk’s unspoken question, “She was really worried when she heard about your absence, aunt. So, she packed few side dishes for you to eat.” He added.

 

“Thank you…” she thanked the latter, “I hope you didn’t tell anyone about what you…saw.” She was eyeing Kyuhyun with empathy.

 

Kyuhyun laughed softly, “No, aunt. I didn’t tell anyone about what I saw. You don’t have to worry about that. But, I am curious still. What had happen that make you cry and went M.I.A for a week like this? You never acted this way before. Halmeoni was heartbroken when she heard about you. She insisted for me to look for you. But, I didn’t do it since I know you didn’t like me butting in so much.” He nagged long.

 

Leeteuk smiles sadly.

 

“I’m sorry Kyuhyun.” She apologized, “I didn’t mean to bother you much with my problem. I just thought that I want to be alone, that’s all.” She reasoned, still going around the bush.

 

Kyuhyun sighed wearily. He already guessed for her to make those excuses.

 

“I was worried too aunt. You didn’t give me any news in the past few weeks. I thought that something bad might happen to you. Luckily I didn’t barge into your house.” He expressed his thought, truthfully.

 

Leeteuk chuckled, “Yeah, luckily that you didn’t.” she whispered the words.

 

Kyuhyun looked at her with more worry.

 

“There’s nothing bad happen to me, brat.” Leeteuk assured him, ruffling his hair, “I am fine. And I promise that I will okay after this.”

 

“You will not going to tell me anything even if I beg?” Kyuhyun asked again, trying his luck.

 

Leeteuk shook her head, and gave him a thin smile.

 

“I thanked you for your concern. But, I’m sure that I am alright. Don’t worry okay?”

 

Kyuhyun continued staring at Leeteuk long to find the honesty inside her words. After he was sure, finally he nodded his head.

 

“I will not stay silent again if anything like this happened.” He warned.

 

He got a laugh as the reply from Leeteuk instead. But, he was glad though. If she truly is okay, then, there is not much he had to worry about.

 

 

/////

 

 

When the weekend came, as promised from last week, Sungmin and her friends rejoined for a date at the amusement park. Kyuhyun was once again mesmerized by Sungmin natural beauty upon her arrival but he kept it all to himself. If not, for sure he’s going to get teased by Eunhyuk and Donghae. They walked happily towards their first destination, the accessories shop.

 

“Try this Minnie.” Donghae voluntarily puts a bunny headband on Sungmin’s head.

 

Sungmin blinked innocently as Donghae and Ryeowook positioned the accessories on her head.

 

“Kyahhh….you’re so cute!” She and Ryeowook cooed in sync and hugged her from the cuteness.

 

Sungmin blushed.

 

“You look like a bunny, Sungminie.” Commented Yesung agreed by the others willingly.

 

Sungmin shyly smile by the compliment. Her eyes slowly travelled and met up with Kyuhyun’s. The hint of blush grows on Sungmin by the look they shared.

 

“Hey, Kyu. You take this one.” Eunhyuk puts on him another bunny headband, in brown color, “It’s a couple look.” He teased, earning a “Yah!” from Kyuhyun.

 

They all laughed seeing the anger and embarrassment from Kyuhyun. Truly, they are having fun teasing both Sungmin and Kyuhyun.

 

“Let’s look for another one, Hyukkie.” Donghae pushed away her boyfriend to another shelf before Kyuhyun gets angrier.

 

“What about you oppa? What do you want?” Ryeowook asked.

 

They walked hand in hand, “Is there a turtle headband?”

 

“Turtle? You’re funny, oppa.” And they moved away from there.

 

All that left was Kyuhyun and Sungmin, all speechless and shy looking at each other.

 

“Err…” Kyuhyun stammered, “You look good today.” He praised.

 

He gathered all his courage to say it. And since they were alone, he didn’t let the opportunity passed. Sungmin laughed softly.

 

“Thank you, Kyukyu. You are not bad yourself.” She gave the compliment back at the boy.

 

Their eyes met again and they smiled. This time they are at more ease.

 

“Let’s choose something else for you, Kyukyu.” Sungmin suggested and started scanning for some other headband, “I don’t think bunny suits you much.” She joked.

 

Kyuhyun laughed but he agreed on that though, “You’re right. Hyuk is just teasing me.” He took off the headband from his head, “Do you think there’s a wolf one?”

 

“Wolf? Why wolf Kyukyu? Wolf is bad.”

 

Another laugh erupted from Kyuhyun by Sungmin’s innocence, “Well, I am bad~~” he sang.

 

Slowly, their awkwardness air clears up. Their friends watched them from side with a happy smile. After some time spends looking for the accessories, everyone finally got something as a memento each. Kyuhyun got a bear headband, chosen by Sungmin. Eunhyuk chose himself a special hat with a monkey tail attached, Donghae got a Nemo hat since she likes fish so much whereas Ryeowook chose a giraffe headband for herself. Last but not least was Yesung, who insisted on a hideous turtle hat for himself. The others, with the exception from Ryeowook were complained by his choice. But, they shut off immediately upon realizing it was Yesung’s money used for everything they chose in the shop.

 

After that, they all spread out and started to play all available games at the park. Although there are some scene erupted regarding what to ride, so far, they were having the time of their life. When it was noon, the couples settled down together at one table. They wait in anticipated while Sungmin was arranging a few boxes on the table. It was their lunch and she has been carrying it the whole day.

 

“Here.” She presented it.

 

“Wow…”

 

All can’t help but feels amazed by the varieties of food in front of them.

 

“You made this, Sungminie?” asked Donghae the obvious.

 

They got a shy nod from Sungmin.

 

“I made it this morning. Try it.”

 

Gladly, they grabbed chopsticks, and took a dish that attracted their eyes so much. They ate and munch the food in silence. Sungmin was anxious and worried by the silence response given. She’s afraid that the food was not to their liking. But, apparently, it was the other way around.

 

“SO DELICIOUS!!” all exclaimed aloud even though with difference tone used.

 

“This is so delicious, Sungminie.” Donghae took another and hummed, “This one too! Everything is!”

 

Eunhyuk’s mouth already full with the food. They all agreed that Sungmin is a good cook after all, so, there’s no point of comparing her with other food. They have a decent lunch and were happier after that. Toning down the tension a bit, they separated into couples and went separate ways. Well actually, Kyuhyun and Sungmin were left behind, again and on purpose.

 

“Where the hell are you?!” Kyuhyun raised his voice in anger but controlled it as to not make any scene, “Why did you leave me and Sungmin again?” he asked his cousin, the master mind.

 

He heard some giggles from the other line. It angered him even more.

 

“Oh, come on Kyuhyun. I know you must be happy to be left alone with just Sungmin, right? Admit it.” Donghae even more.

 

Kyuhyun growled, “No, I don’t, stupid.” He scolded, even though it was a total lie.

 

His friends laughed even more.

 

“It’s up to you now, Kyu dear. Whether you create a new memory with Sungmin or let it pass like that, you choose. Me and the others will have fun on our own. Bye, Kyuhyun.” And she hung up the call just like that.

 

“Yah!” Kyuhyun yelled to his phone.

 

It was useless already. They once again tricked him by being cupid. Kyuhyun turned by the side and smile sheepishly at the awaiting Sungmin.

 

“So?”

 

Sungmin smiled back at him, with equal awkwardness, “Should we visit the animals?” she suggested.

 

Kyuhyun chuckled, “Better than doing nothing I guess.” He agreed and they walked side by side towards the destination.

 

Better than what they expected, they actually had fun with each other. It was awkward sometimes but it wasn’t that bad as they thought about it will be. Maybe, it was a good thing after all being left behind like that. After few hours and the sun slowly going down, they decided it’s time to end the date.

 

“Can you reach them?” asked Kyuhyun to Sungmin about the others since he couldn’t contact his dear cousin at all.

 

Sungmin nodded.

 

“They said they’ll be coming this way later.” Informed Sungmin.

 

“Good then. Ah but Sungmin…” Kyuhyun fidgeted, “I’ll go to the washroom first, can you wait?”

 

Sungmin nodded few times.

 

“I’ll be back!” shouted Kyuhyun and quickly rushed to the nearest washroom available.

 

He’s been restraining himself for hours, of course he needs to be hurry. Sungmin waits by the parlor. She hummed some song to kill the time. While doing so, her eyes noticed something. There’s a mirror house not too far from her. She didn’t realize it even though she and Kyuhyun have played most the games in the amusement park. Sungmin stared at the signboard.

 

Strangely, she felt some strange feelings from the place. Her feet started to move on its own towards the house unconsciously. In deep trance, she enters the house of mirrors. By the time she wakes, she was already in the mirror place. She felt cold sweats forming on her neck. Her eyes wandered around the mirrors looking at her images. But, that was not the only thing that she saw.

 

Just as she about to take a step away, a harsh wind her into a whirlwind and forced her into her deepest mind.

 

“What…”

 

“Run Sunghee! Take Sungmin with you!”

 

A man’s yell was heard followed by repetitious of gunshot. Sungmin’s eyes followed the pictures she saw, in frightened. A woman was holding the little version of her throughout a house. They were running away from someone or something. And she knew it wasn’t a good thing at all. Then, they stopped. The woman took Sungmin somewhere isolated, somewhere hidden away from the others.

 

“Stay here okay, Sungminie? Don’t make any sound. Don’t speak of anything. You’ll be safe, I promise.” She caressed her cheeks gently, and hugged her tight.

 

“Umma…”

 

With heavy heart, she let go of her hug.

 

“Umma loves you so much. Appa also loves you. Remember that okay? We all love you.” Little Sungmin nodded frantically, with tears fast flowing from her eyes.

 

Her mother embraced her again, firm and trembling. Leaning in, she kissed Sungmin long on her head with words of ‘I love you’ repeatedly said. Sungmin’s hand clenched on her mother’s dress desperately. Without looking back, she detached away from Sungmin and locked the door to the room. Sungmin stood still by where she stands, sobbing and in fear. She saw everything that happened outside of the room. She saw the fight and crashing here and there. She heard people yelling but she couldn’t figure out what was been talked about. Then suddenly.

 

Pang!

 

Sungmin jerked abruptly from where she stood. Red thick blood splashes on the mirror shielding an image that she saw from the other side. Her mother. It was her mother. Her mother’s body slowly falls in front of her, lying there, helplessly.

 

 “Sunghee! No! Wake up!” her father came, hugging his wife.

 

Pang!

 

Another gunshot shocked Sungmin. It was her father this time.

 

“Appa…” she called.

 

Ming? A voice suddenly heard inside her head.

 

“NO!!!”

 

Everyone was flabbergasted. All turned to the same direction by the sudden shout. They all heard the cry loud and clear. Kyuhyun ran as fast as he could towards the place. As soon as he entered the room, his eyes widened due to astonishment. Sungmin was already on the floor sobbing hard and panting for air to breathe. Her body was shaking. Her eyes were black, pitch black, darkened by the past that she saw.

 

“Sungmin!”

 

“NO!!”                                                                                         

 

Kyuhyun was pushed harshly when he reached to Sungmin’s side. He was taken aback by the reaction. Not giving up, he sprinted towards Sungmin and hugged her tight. Sungmin immediately screamed and struggled from Kyuhyun’s hold. But, he held on to the hug. Other people were already started crowding inside the scene, looking at them. Kyuhyun was in panic state to see Sungmin in that condition. But when the time he almost surrendered, a shadow engulfed him and Sungmin into an embrace. He looked to the man, surprised.

 

“Hold her tight.” The man told him to which he compiled.

 

The man wrapped his arms around Sungmin’s petite body. Kyuhyun watched as the man went closer to Sungmin and whispered some words to her ears. Strange and amazingly, Sungmin stopped struggling before she closed her eyes and fainted.

 

“Sungmin!”

 

Sungjin’s head turned as if he heard something. He didn’t understand why but he felt anxious out of blue. He walked in fast mode to search for his Yunho. And just when he opened the door, he was almost bumped into the man. Yunho was thinking the same thing as him. Both of them look at each other. They were about to speak but suddenly interrupted by Sungjin’s phone. Rushed, he picked up the call.

 

“Yesung? What? What happened to Sungmin?!”

 

It turned out his bad feelings were true after all. Panicked, he and Yunho hurriedly leave to the amusement park after the call from Yesung. They arrived there in no time. Sungmin wakes up when they arrived and clings onto Sungjin like her life depend on the other. It crushed the uncles’ heart and shock for Sungmin’s friends to see her in such condition. It was new for her friends but for her uncles, it was almost like the past repeated itself again.

 

 

/////

 

 

Sungmin slowly opened up her yes from the drowsiness. She blinked few times and noticed a figure seated beside her.

 

“Hey princess.” Dongwoo greeted with a smile, brushing her hair softly.

 

Sungmin’s heart tightened by the gentle touch. A gush of feelings went through Sungmin after seeing the smile. Tears started to pool up inside her eyes when she remembered what had happened.

 

“Woo-kun…” she called for the man, suddenly on verge of crying.

 

“Hey, hey, it’s okay.” Dongwoo patted her head and moved closer to lie on the bed beside her.

 

Right away after he settled on the bed, Sungmin hugs him and gripped closer. She cried again. Dongwoo sighed wearily. But, his hand still held Sungmin securely in his arms. He didn’t utter a single word but to just let the girl cried. She knew that nothing will comfort her in that few moments.

 

Back to hours ago, he was really surprised to receive a call from Sungjin that afternoon. He was on a photo-shoot in Japan together with Hoya. Ignored all protest from the staff and managers, he just rush back to Korea. He knew it was an emergency and if anything happened to his career, he’s got Yunho as the backup. That’s the purpose all along.

 

He sighed. It’s been hard on her, he thought inside.

 

After a few minutes of hugging her, Sungmin finally calmed down. He wipes away her tears and smiled warmly.

 

“Come on, let’s get downstairs. Your Jin-chan is already waiting for dinner.” He told the younger.

 

Sungmin nodded faintly, and holds Dongwoo’s hand leading her to downstairs, meeting up with her other uncles. Sungjin and Yunho were waiting for them at the lawn. They set up a table and Yunho was grilling something using the electric grill, some meat and chicken for the dinner.

 

“No! I didn’t do it on purpose!” Sungjin on the other hand was on the phone, talking to someone and looked very annoyed.

 

“Yun-kun…” Sungmin greeted the man softly.

 

“Ah, princess. You’re awake.” Yunho smiled widely, “Have a nice sleep?” he kissed her on the cheek.

 

Sungmin nodded and hummed, “Good one.” She smiled back at him.

 

“Sungmin’s okay! For god’s sake, can you calm down?!” Sungjin suddenly yelled out, irritated with the caller’s attic.

 

“Who is Jin-chan talking to, Yun-kun?” asked Sungmin.

 

“Your mama. It appeared that her niece sensor detected that you’re in danger, and she’s been bugging him ever since.” Yunho explained.

 

“Ehh…it must hard for Jin-chan then…” Sungmin said, pitied the uncle.

 

Yunho and Dongwoo just laugh at her remark.

 

“NO! Just stop screaming! Urgh!” Sungjin growled angrily, “She’s awake now. You can call her and ask her about it yourself.” And he hung up immediately after that.

 

Sungjin marched towards the others and handed his phone to Sungmin straight.

 

“Here, she’ll call.” He said short and simple while frowning hard.

 

He then, sat down tiredly next to Sungmin. Handling Sungmin’s mama is much worse than handling a whole clan. He’s really exhausted. The phone rang, and quickly, Sungmin answered the call, video call.

 

“Mama…” Sungmin called gently, waving at her happily.

 

“Sungmin!” Heechul’s worried face appeared, “Are you okay? Did something bad happen? Did you hurt yourself anywhere? Tell mama, and I will…”

 

“Mama!” Sungmin stopped Heechul before her booming of questions continued.

 

“I’m okay, mama.” she assured her.

 

Heechul’s eyes moistened looking at her, “What happened?” she calmed down a bit.

 

“Nothing bad, mama.” Sungmin gave her a thin smile, “I just had a bad dream, that’s all.”

 

Heechul stares at her long. She heaved out a deep sigh.

 

“I was really worried, you know.”

 

“I know.” Sungmin nodded like a child, “And I’m sorry mama. I promise I will never make you worry about me again. But, where are you now? You didn’t look like you’re at home.” Sungmin asked curiously.

 

“Yeah, I’m not in China now. I’m in New York.” She answered.

 

“Wow, New York? What are you doing there? Another fashion week?” she guessed.

 

Heechul smiled at her, “It’s just a meeting, princess. There’s a new collection coming out. So, I’m here to discuss about the designs with the other designers. Also, I’m here to choose new material for my new collection.” Answered Heechul long.

 

“You’re getting busier mama. Just don’t forget to take a rest.” Sungmin reminded her.

 

Heechul chuckled.

 

“I’m fine, princess. This type of busy doesn’t affect me much. You know I’ve been in worse condition right?” Sungmin nodded.

 

“Anyway Sungminie, are you really okay, now?” Heechul’s face turn into worry once again, “Do you want me to call your baba and fetch you to China?”

 

“Ah…”

 

“Fetch? What do you mean fetch?” Sungjin immediately jumped into the conversation after he heard it, “Why on earth does Hangeng need to fetch Sungmin? moreover to China. In case you’ve forgotten, she still has her uncles, Heechul?” he reprimanded.

 

Heechul scoffed, “So what if she does? Her uncles didn’t seem to take a better care of her.” she mocked.

 

“Yah!”

 

“Ah! Jin-chan…”

 

Sungjin fast grabbed the phone from Sungmin, “You don’t have the right to say that about us! We take a good care of Sungmin!” he retorted.

 

“Oh yeah? Then, why does it every time she’s with you, there will always be something bad happened?”

 

“That is not my fault!”

 

“It was!”

 

“Mama…Jin-chan…”

 

Sungmin was restless trying to stop her family from bickering. It was normal but she knew she had to stop them before it turned worse. She turned to Yunho for help, pleading with her eyes. Yunho sighed.

 

“Hey, can you stop being a child?” he scolded.

 

“I’m not a child, you old man!” they retorted in sync.

 

“Yah!”

 

With that, another bickering starts. All three were hard-headed and stubborn, so, it was difficult to stop them whenever it happened. Dongwoo and Sungmin can only relate to each other about the feelings. It was not their first time and absolutely not the last. After a long hour of argument, they finally stopped with the grumbling of stomach from Sungmin.

 

“Take care of yourself princess. I love you.” Heechul said for the last time and hung up the call.

 

After that, they continued eating dinner which was postponed due to the fight. Sungmin feels more relaxed after the talk with Heechul plus the little scene. She was thankful that everyone worried and understand her, and that everyone is her family. After the dinner was over, all the four family members stayed at the house lawn to continue relaxing.

 

“Jin-chan…can I ask you something.” Sungmin spoke audibly, attracting all attention to her.

 

Sungjin smiled, “Sure, princess.” He has been waiting for her to say it actually.

 

Sungmin looked down, fidgeting and hesitated.

 

“I saw…in the mirror house…about what happened…to umma and appa.” She stated one by one, still averting her eyes away.

 

Sungjin, Yunho and Dongwoo looked at each other, giving a silent a gesture as to let the girl continued without intervention.

 

“Umma and appa…they didn’t die from the car accident right?” Sungmin’s eyes glassed as she remembered the moment.

 

Sungjin took a deep breath and heaved it out slowly, his expression softened, “No, they didn’t.” he responded.

 

His niece’s face changed. Her lips quiver as she tried her best to hold out the tears. It turned out that every image that she saw were true after all.

 

“What…happened, Jin-chan? Why?” Sungmin asked.

 

Sungjin gave her a sad smile, “Another clan attacked your family.” He started telling the story, “Actually even before that, many others tried to attack but mostly they failed miserably. But, that time, it was totally unexpected in our side. The three of us were away from your family. We were on mission to clear things up, but, we didn’t realize it was a trick for us to leave you and the family alone. By the time we came back, everything was already too late. All we found were blood.” Sungjin explained long.

 

“And you…” Yunho suddenly added looking into her straight, “You were missing, Sungmin.” he stated.

 

Sungmin wide eyed staring at him. Missing? When? Why? She asked inside.

 

“We were terrified to not find you everywhere around the house. You was not with your parents and but secluded somewhere.” He stated.

 

Sungmin frowned, “What do you mean, Yun-kun? Secluded?”

 

It was their turn to frown upon hearing the question from Sungmin.

 

“Don’t you remember Sungmin? You were found in a secret room.” Dongwoo answered.

 

“Secret room?” Sungmin repeated the last word, still confused.

 

The three uncles looked at each other.

 

“You mean…you don’t remember about that room?”

 

Sungmin shook her head.

 

“How about who found you? Do you remember?” Sungjin continued asking.

 

Once again, Sungmin denied.

 

“Wait,” Dongwoo took a big step towards the girl and face up, “Sungmin. What did you remember from the incident? Tell us, everything.”

 

Sungmin paused and thought long.

 

“Until today, honestly I don’t remember anything. But today, I saw an image of umma and appa being shot. Appa told umma to take me somewhere and she did as told. Then, umma locked the door. But, I could see everything like a mirror. Then…I don’t know what happened next.” Sungmin shrugged.

 

“Don’t you remember anything that happened before or after the incident?” asked Sungjin for more story.

 

Sungmin shook her head, “Not really. I think I only remember what happened at the funeral.” She vaguely responded.

 

“So…you don’t remember…” Dongwoo trailed his statement.

 

“Why? Woo-kun? What happened?”

 

Dongwoo turned and smiled, “No, it’s nothing, princess.”

 

“Eh? But…”

 

“It’s better if you left not knowing anything that happened than the other way around.” Yunho cuts her sentence, “It was not a good memory to begin with.” He added.

 

Sungmin pouted. Though she agreed on that memory part, she still couldn’t hide her curiosity.

 

“Okay…” she responded, decided to go along with her uncles’ decision.

 

“And…” Sungjin comes into the conversation, “Whatever happened to them, no matter what, they didn’t die in vain, Sungmin.” He patted Sungmin’s head gently, “They died in order to protect you.”

 

Sungmin looked into the eyes of Sungjin. She smiled after a long time that day, and nodded.

 

“I know, Jin-chan.”

 

 

/////

 

 

“Am I the last to know?” Jongjin asked to make sure and to complain at the same time.

 

Sungmin chuckled, “No, Jinnie. You’re the first that I called, trust me.”

 

Jongjin sighed.

 

“Good to hear then.” He boldly commented.

 

Sungmin smiled from the other side of call. After the dinner and story-telling with her uncles, she already makes a list of call to make. Since she already talked to her mama, the closest family that she should inform was Yesung’s family. She knew that Yesung will tell the family about what happened that afternoon. Moreover, knowing the younger’s worry, she decided to call on Jongjin’s phone instead of the family’s phone.

 

“Are you really okay, Sungminie?” Jongjin’s worried tone, wake her up from the trance.

 

Sungmin hummed.

 

“I’m fine now, Jinnie. I didn’t get hurt anywhere.” She assured.

 

“What happened actually? Hyung said you went into the mirror house and screamed out of sudden. He said you were hysteric by the time he saw you.” Jongjin repeated what has been told to him.

 

“I don’t quite sure how to answer that.” Replied Sungmin, hesitantly, “But, it was nothing bad actually. I only saw images of flashbacks.” She added, didn’t hide the fact about it.

 

“Flashbacks? What do you mean?”

 

“Well…” Sungmin trailed, “I saw how umma and appa died.”

 

Sungmin heard Jongjin’s breath loudly from the other line. He was flabbergasted. He knew a bit about Sungmin’s past and how Sungmin didn’t remember the incident from her childhood. What he didn’t expect was for Sungmin’s past to come back and haunted her in that way. Now, his worry piled up even more.

 

“Jinnie…”

 

He flinched by Sungmin’s call.

 

“Please don’t be worry too much about me.” Sungmin told the latter, “It already happened right? What past is a past now. Nothing will able to change it. True, I was scared at first when I saw it but then…when I wake up, Woo-kun is with me. Jin-chan and Yun-kun were also here. Mama makes a video call with me too. Plus, I’m speaking to you now, right? You will help me to ease the ‘pain’ and make me forget the bad thing, aren’t you?” Sungmin explained long.

 

She knew that they were all worry about her. The least she can do was only to assure them that she was alright.

 

“Okay…” Jongjin spoke up after a long silence.

 

Sungmin’s smile bloomed.

 

“But next time, I will be there for you.” He added before anything.

 

Sungmin laughed softly, “Em!” she agreed and nodding her head.

 

“Ah, do you want to talk to umma? She’s been worried sick since this afternoon after hyung told us.” Informed the boy, walking towards his mother who has been waiting for her turn not far from him.

 

“Em, I want. I need to explain to her too right?”

 

Jongjin hummed. The phone exchanged hand to which the mother eagerly waiting.

 

“Sungmin!” she cried worriedly, and Sungmin went into another trip of explanation.

 

Back to Jongjin, he walked away to give her mother some privacy. He bummed into Yesung on the way.

 

“What did Sungmin told you?” asked Yesung, straight to the point.

 

Sungmin has never hide anything from his brother, which was certain. Jongjin sighed faintly before he gave an answer about what he heard from Sungmin. Just like his reaction, Yesung was also equally shocked when he heard it. It has been many years since the death of Sungmin’s parents. No one has ever dare to spoken a word about that matter because of the topic’s sensitivity.

 

But now, without any planning, the scene emerged again from the past. It will be another hassle for them to go through it again. More than that, the Lee family who was involved in that matter will be having more hard time than ever.

 

 

/////

 

 

After the incident that afternoon, Kyuhyun’s worry about Sungmin suddenly piled up. He knew that Sungmin has a past or something like that, but he never thought that Sungmin’s past was actually that scary. More than that, there was actually something else that perked his curiosity. The man that was with him and Sungmin in that mirror room, he was a total mystery. He didn’t have the chance to see the man’s face or what else to ask the man because of the crowd pooling at that time. He felt strange and curious with the man’s identity. Something tells him that the man is more than just a stranger.

 

Kyuhyun stood long in front of the door of his father’s office and knocked. After a respond from the inside, he slowly opened the door.

 

“Hey appa, are you free?” he started.

 

“Em?” Myungsoo nodded, “Why?”

 

“Nothing. There’s something I want to ask you.” he walked into the room in slow steps.

 

Myungsoo frowned, “Something? What kind of?”

 

Kyuhyun stares. He fidgeted the question inside his head, suddenly hesitated whether to ask his father or not. After some silence, finally he spoke up.

 

“My uncle…”

 

“Ah.”

 

“Do you remember him, anyhow, appa?”

 

“Your uncle? Kyungsoo uncle?” Kyuhyun nodded faintly, “Why all of sudden with the name? Did something happen?” asked the father.

 

“No, there’s nothing happen. I’m just curious, that’s all.” Kyuhyun lied.

 

Myungsoo stares at him long and slowly heave out a sigh. He put down the file he’s holding and takes off his spectacles.

 

“I don’t recall much about him. We didn’t have many memories with each other. And even if I do, most of it was not a good one.” He replied.

 

Not good? Kyuhyun repeated the word inside his head confusedly.

 

“He left a deep scar in our family, Kyuhyun. That’s why we hardly talk about him. You’re a kid yourself when he went away, so, I don’t blame you if you don’t remember anything. But,” He paused, “If you want to know much about him, you should be asking your aunt Jungsoo, not me.”

 

“Aunt? Why?”

 

“Because she lived longer with him and she has the most stories about him than me.” informed Myungsoo to his son.

 

“Oh…okay. I’ll ask her then. Thank you for your time, appa.” He bowed a little and took a step away.

 

“But Kyuhyun,” he stopped from walking and turned back, “If you didn’t have a solid reason, I advised you to not ask much about your uncle from your aunt.”

 

“Eh why? I can’t?”

 

“No, it’s not like that. It just…” Myungsoo trailed his words, showing a serious expression, “The family hasn’t talked much about him after his disappearance. We also didn’t have good memories about him except the painful one. I really hope you didn’t hurt your aunt by reminding her again about it. She has taken lots of courage to come back and I hope for it to last forever.” He reminded long.

 

Kyuhyun looked at his father, blinking and processing what had been told. He smiled thinly.

 

“It’s okay, appa. I know my limit. I’ll take caution on that.” he promised.

 

Without saying more, he left the room still thinking about what his father said.

 

Painful? Then, isn’t it more painful for aunt to see me every day now? He asked, looking at his split image from the mirror in front of him. I resemble uncle Kyungsoo. Aren’t I?

 

 

/////

 

 

The time slowly went deeper into the night. Sungmin finally ended her story explanation of the day with the last conversation with Ryeowook. She sighed tiredly. She’s a bit tired because of remembering back the past after so many years. It’s painful but she knew there’s a meaning behind it. She felt something touched her. When she turned to the side, her pet, Kon already climbing up onto her lap.

 

Sungminie.

 

Sungmin smiled wide, “Sorry that I make you worry, Kon.” She told the ferret, petting its head.

 

Are you tired? Need more rest?

 

Sungmin shook her head slowly, “I already have enough rest, don’t worry.” She answered the pet.

 

Kon looked at her. Both of them were staring into each other eyes, sort of mind-linking with each other.

 

Was it all?

 

The pet questioned to Sungmin and she somehow clearly understood it. Her expression changed. Slowly, she lifted the pet from her lap and put it on the table, facing up with her. Sungmin lays her head onto the table too, exhausted. The full moon shines through the window onto her.

 

“No, that wasn’t all.” Sungmin stated.

 

“Apart from the images that I saw, I knew there was…something else.”

 

What is it? Why didn’t you tell your uncles?

 

“I don’t think telling them will do any good. You saw how they reacted after knowing my loss of memories right? I don’t think they will like it if they knew something else.” She makes excuses to support her decision of lying.

 

You only make it hard.

 

Sungmin smiled thinly. She sighed slowly and closed her eyes. The pet also lies beside her face, closing eyes.

 

“The voice that I heard…” Sungmin whispered in the lonely night, “If they knew about it, for sure, they will never forgive themselves again.”

 

Her heart clenched painfully.

 

I’m here now, Ming. Don’t be afraid.

 

She remembered clearly the voice that was spoken to her before she passed out in the mirror room. The same voice kept ringing inside her repeatedly even after she woke from sleep. Strange it was, she was actually calmed down every time she recalled it. One thing for absolute, the voice that she heard, she swore to keep it as a secret only to herself. No one yet needs to know about that matter, not until the right time. Not until when the said person showed up to herself again.

 

But, the question was, does she still remember how ‘he’ looked like?

 

 

TBC

 

 

So, I present you readers with My longest update ever since…Thank you so much for keep on reading and commenting my FIC ^^

The 'man' has able to make Sungmin remember again…but does she really did?