Father?

Voice

 

Sungjin noticed the changes of attitude of his niece. But even though he asked the girl, Sungmin still refused to tell him anything. He wanted so much to interfere but at the same time, he was afraid that Sungmin might hate him if he did so. He has no other choice to restrain himself for the mean time from butting in. And still, just like the Kangteuk couple, he swears if it continues so long, he will not hesitate to take an action.

 

So, for the whole week, the bullying continues. Even though the pranks weren’t so serious, Sungmin couldn’t help from feeling hurt and sad by it. Being pushed while walking in the hallway, treated harshly during the PE class, being totally ignore and thrown with spiteful words has almost become accustomed to Sungmin. She did tried her best to ignore and avoid all of it, may be just a little bit. But still, the loneliness was nothing to compare to everything. She has lost her friends that could actually understand her and has no one to tell her side story to.

 

Bad rumors have also started to spread. Almost every moment Sungmin could hear people whispering behind her back and kept saying bad things about her.

 

“I heard that she slept with 10 men.”

 

“10? Are you kidding? She’s mute though.”

 

“Because she’s mute, she slept with those men. You know…to show her love.”

 

“Eww..so disgusting. She even had an affair with that mafia, Kangin.”

 

“Such a .” They continue insulted ignoring the fact that Sungmin heard everything all along.

 

Sungmin lean back on the wall, hiding herself from being seen by the other students. She just closed her eyes tight. Hoping and praying that those whispering will stop. But all of it leaves to no vain. No one has the power to stop human’s mouth from talking after all.

 

“So what if she has an affair with me, ?” Kangin appeared, and those girls were startled for sure, “You got a problem with that?” he added, giving them a killing stare they deserved.

 

“We…we didn’t say anything!” they denied and quickly ran away from there.

 

Kangin sighed and huffed. He walked a few steps forwards, finding Sungmin there, and meeting his eyes with her.

 

“If you hear that, shouldn’t you just go away from there? Or at least cover your ears from listening.” He nagged.

 

Sungmin just put her head low, afraid that Kangin might be angrier at her, which was the truth.

 

Kangin sighed again seeing the reaction from the girl, “Let’s eat lunch. I’ll treat you.” He walked in front, didn’t even wait for an answer.

 

He knew that Sungmin will certainly follow him. They ignore all the eyes watching and were together for the whole day. Kangin is just tired of pretending already. The fact that he care about Sungmin is enough and he will not care for other people perception anymore. Since Sungmin is already being disregard by everyone, why would they care about other people now. What’s for sure, Sungmin just really grateful that Kangin was there with her.

 

~~

 

Meanwhile, at one place, there’s a boy who was dozing off, trying his best to balance himself on the small hospital chair.

 

“Kyuhyun…” the boy, none other than Kyuhyun jerked from his sleep hearing his name being call.

 

“Halmoeni? Are you awake? Do you need anything?” he panicked, a little bit shock from the sleep.

 

“No, I’m fine.” The old woman answered, “Just calm down and sit.” she added.

 

Kyuhyun sighed in relieved. He slumped back his on the chair. Starting from three days ago, he has been going back forth from house and the hospital. It was also almost three days he was absence from school. The last day he went to school was the day where he blurted out his hatred to the only girl he loves, Lee Sungmin.

 

He didn’t intend to say that words. He couldn’t even believe the part that Seohyun told him about Sungmin but somehow, he was just too jealous and angry at that time. To make things more stressful for him, by the time he walked inside the house that afternoon, he ran into his grandmother, unconsciously lying on the floor.

 

He was panic for sure. He tried to wake her up few time and finally rushed her to the hospital. Fortunately, there’s nothing serious happened to his grandmother. She only had an asthma attack but still it is quite dangerous for her age. She was being held in the hospital for a few days ever since until her body is perfectly well again. Kyuhyun’s parent requested him to keep his grandmother accompany for the mean time since they were busy. It was also the reason why he’s been absence from school.

 

Apart from that, he also uses that excuse to avoid meeting Sungmin. He didn’t have much confidence that he could stay calm if he meets Sungmin in the short period of time.

 

“Kyuhyun.” Kyuhyun snapped from his thinking hearing the call, again.

 

“Are you okay?” his grandmother asked, worry clearly showed on her face.

 

Kyuhyun smiled weakly, “Yeah, I’m okay, halmeoni. Maybe I’ve been thinking too much lately.” He reasoned out.

 

“Are you sure? I notice that you have been spacing a lot this few days? Did something happen, Kyuhyun?”

 

He stared at her long, and let out a sigh, “I’m fine, halmeoni. I just miss being in school, I think.”

 

“My grandson? Miss his school? That’s rare.” She smirked.

 

“What?” Kyuhyun frowned, confused by her reaction.

 

“Because the Kyuhyun that I knew, only love games and willing to do anything to be lazy including skipping school. So, it’s really rare that you suddenly miss your school.” She teased.

 

“Furthermore, you can go to school if you want to. Halmeoni is okay now.” She exclaimed, showing her best serious expression, “But, this is not just about the school, right?”She added more.

 

Kyuhyun wanted to reply back to the statement. But then, he just closed his mouth, keeping the problem inside. His face fell when he recalls back what has happened between him and Sungmin. He just couldn’t bring himself talking about the matter to anyone else. Maybe not that moment.

 

His grandmother realized that her grandson didn’t want her to dig further into the matter judging from Kyuhyun’s face. She caressed her grandson cheeks gently, makes him look straight into her eyes.

 

“It’s okay, Kyuhyun. You can tell me if you want to one day. Halmoeni will not force you on anything.” She patted the boy’s head affectionately.

 

Kyuhyun smiled back at her. He was glad that his grandmother was with him. At least, he could feel at ease and avoid himself from stress.

 

“Do you want some apples, halmoeni?” Kyuhyun asked, changing the topic and she nodded to the question.

 

Kyuhyun took a few apples from the basket and went to the nearest sink to wash it. He then, sits back at the seat and started peeling the apple for his grandmother. They were enveloped in a very comfortable silent. The grandmother continues watching every movement of her grandson. She felt that seeing Kyuhyun now is almost the same as someone that she lost one time ago. A memoir that she tried to forget the most.

 

“Oh yes, aunt Jungsoo say she’s coming. Maybe she’ll arrive this afternoon. Do you want her to bring anything?” Kyuhyun stated, didn’t realize the look of his grandmother.

 

The woman shook her head, “Nothing much. Everything is provided here, but maybe I’ll talk to her later about it.” She answered.

 

“Okay then.” Kyuhyun handed her the apples in a plate.

 

Smiling, his grandmother took it and ate. He also took some to eat for himself. While eating, he realizes that his grandmother was still staring at him.

 

“What’s wrong halmoeni? Did you need something else.” Smiling sadly, she shook her head.

 

“You really look just like him, Kyuhyun.” She said, still looking so depressed.

 

Understanding who is ‘him’ that his grandmother referring to, Kyuhyun face fell.

 

“Halmoeni, he is…”

 

“I know, Kyuhyun. I know. I’m just saying it. Please, just ignore it.” His grandmother cuts him, “Let’s eat, okay?” she smiled, tried to change the topic again.

 

Kyuhyun sighed faintly, went forward and hugged his grandmother, “But, I’m still here, halmoeni. I’ll always be.”

 

His grandmother feels calm to hear the comforting words from the boy. She hugged him back. She really is thankful to have an understanding grandson, just like Kyuhyun.

 

~~

 

One day, Sungmin was walking back home alone and it was raining heavily. The week is almost over and she was still being treated badly at school. It was also almost a week where she was alone and has to go home alone.

 

What will Yesung-oppa said if he found out that I have been bully again. He might agree with Jin-chan to transfer me away again. And it will make it even harder for me to get friends. Or maybe I end up with no friend at all. Where is it going wrong? Why no one wants to give me a chance to explain at all. Sungmin sighed.

 

“Just get up, old man!” Sungmin shocked hearing a loud shout out of sudden.

 

Carefully, she tiptoed to where the sound came from and hid behind the wall. She was more surprised to see a group of men surrounds an old man and looked extremely scary. The old man was sitting in the rain, face scrunched in pain.

 

“Now that you’re alone. Don’t ever think that we are afraid to kill you, ahjussi.” One of them said, kicked the old man.

 

The man yelped but snickered after, “Aren’t you scare that your life that will be flying next if you kill me, brat?” he said.

 

“You…old man. How dare you! Die! Argh!” they stopped suddenly.

 

Someone has just thrown an umbrella at them. That someone is none other than the only spectator there, Sungmin.

 

“What…are you trying to do, ?” now, the men turned their target to Sungmin.

 

Sungmin could feel her feet trembled but she still try to act tough. Slowly, she backed away a few steps and starts running away from there.

 

“Chase her!” the man chased Sungmin in the rain.

 

Stupid Sungmin! Stupid! You’re so stupid! Sungmin scold herself, still running as fast as she could.

 

Just before the scary men managed to catch her, she saw a police patrol car. Running using her last energy, she stopped in front of the car. She tapped hard on the window car but unfortunately, there’s no one inside the car.

 

I’m dead. She gulped, slowly turning back to see those men has arrived, smirking evilly.

 

“Looks like you have nowhere to hide now, .” They stepped forward one by one.

 

Please…

 

Sungmin prayed inside her heart, closing her eyes tight.

 

Just about she could feel hands touch her, a loud yelling was heard.

 

“Yah! What are you doing?! Stop it!”

 

All eyes wide opened to see 2 police standing not so far from them.

 

“Yah! Stop it right there?!” one of them ordered as those men ran away, saving their life.

 

Sungmin heaved a heavy sigh, panting a little bit. Her body slide down onto the road floor, still drenched in the rain.

 

“Are you okay, miss?” the other officer asked, shield her from the rain using an umbrella.

 

Sungmin nodded faintly.

 

“Those bastards ran away, Siwon.” The one chasing just now came, panting.

 

“It’s okay, Jae. At least the girl is saved.” Siwon replied, looked at Sungmin back and continued, “What happen to you, little miss?”

 

Sungmin blinked her eyes few times.

 

The old man! Sungmin remembered.

 

She hurriedly stands up and pulled the guy to follow him regardless of questions pouring on her. The two men followed where she brought them but still confused with the sudden action especially with the fact that Sungmin didn’t say a single word yet. The three of them arrived to where the old man was and saw the old was still there, sitting.

 

“Ahjussi!” Siwon called, all three ran to him.

 

“Oh, Siwonnie.” The old man greeted back smiling but winced in pain after, “Help me…”

 

Sungmin looked at him worriedly, “Are you okay, ahjussi?” Siwon asked again, somehow like he knew the old man.

 

“My…my leg…” he showed his leg.

 

“Your leg?” all three were confused.

 

“My legs cramp!” that words instantly make them wide opened.

 

“Ahjussi! Stop joking with us!” the two police yelled, totally irritated with him.

 

~~

 

After that, they took Sungmin and the uncle back to the police station.

 

“Here, drink this. You must be cold.” A woman officer handed Sungmin a cup of hot cocoa.

 

‘Thank you.’ She mouthed, smile a little.

 

She took a sip of the drink and sigh contently.

 

Now, I’m here in the police station. Luckily there’s nothing bad happened to that uncle. It’s funny to think back that, the reason why he was surrounded by those scary men only because he has a cramp. Anyhow, we both were saved because the police was there. Hope that I will never meet those men again. Sungmin hoped and prayed to herself.

 

“Next time, just don’t walk alone, uncle. Just bring one or two your underlings.” Siwon reminded the old man as they walked inside to where Sungmin is.

 

“I was just going to buy some snack. Why I can’t just live like a normal person?” the man replied dejectedly.

 

“Because you are not a normal person to begin with, uncle. So, stop pretending. You should be grateful that you’re still alive.”

 

“Oh, stop worrying. I’ll be fine. They wouldn’t even dare to do anything to me.”

 

“Yeah, right. You’ll be dead if this girl isn’t around that time.” Siwon pointed to Sungmin.

 

“I know, I know. Just stop nagging for once.” He said, “Seriously Wonnie, you’re more annoying than my son.” He mumbled his dissatisfaction but still loud enough to be heard.

 

They both walked towards Sungmin.

 

“Are you feeling okay now, little miss?” Sungmin nodded to Siwon’s question.

 

“I’m very thankful that you help me, child.” Sungmin just smiled once more, “But, why haven’t I heard you speaks? Did you hurt yourself somewhere?”

 

‘No, I’m okay. I just…’ Sungmin gestured but make them confuse instead.

 

She turned around her, searching for something till her eyes found it. She grabbed a paper and a pen, and started writing the answer. She then showed the paper to them.

 

‘I’m sorry if it is inconvenience to you. But, I’m not like other people. I can’t speak, much.’ She purposely writes a comma before the last word.

 

“You…can’t speak?” the man asked, “Mute?” he asked again, to ensure.

 

Sungmin hesitate at first whether to be honest or not, but after some time she nodded nonetheless.

 

The others were surprised for sure, “Oh, I’m sorry child. I didn’t know your condition.” The man apologized, and sat in front of Sungmin on a chair, “And, you are not an inconvenient at all. You save me, remember?” he patted Sungmin head gently, like how a father did to a daughter.

 

“I should thank you on that matter, right?” he added, smiling.

 

The touch slightly touched a part of Sungmin’s feeling. It was a feel of a father’s touch. And it was a feel that she has been longing for so long.

 

Thank you, my Sungmin.

 

She could almost recall her father’s voice and warmth from a long time ago.

 

Sungmin tried to smile back to the man. But, instead of only a smile, the others saw tears also sliding down her cheeks. They were shocked, again.

 

“Did I make you feel sad?” the man wipes the tear on Sungmin’s cheeks.

 

Sungmin flinched at first by the touch, cause she didn’t realize it herself that she was crying.

 

‘I’m sorry. I’m sorry.’ She apologized, bowing a few times.

 

The three people whom was there watching, were a little bit taken aback seeing Sungmin’s sudden reaction.

 

What happened to me? Why did I cry? Baka Sungmin. Sungmin wiped away the remaining tears that came out. She was actually feeling embarrassed to show that sort of side of her to strangers.

 

“Hey child, can I ask for your name?” Sungmin nodded to the question and wrote her name on a piece of paper.

 

“Lee Sungmin? You have a nice name.” the man complimented and gives out his hands, “My name is Kim. Young. Jin.” He strengthened it one by one, “Nice to meet you, little Sungmin.” he smiled sincerely.

 

Sungmin stared at the hands long. She was unsure at first but, slowly she accepts the hand and all of them smiled. Youngjin wasn’t really sure but he could somehow feel the sadness that Sungmin feel even though he just knew the girl. There’s some attraction on the girl that he thinks that he has to protect her.

 

~~

 

Sungmin’s POV

 

I’m now in the car of Siwon oppa together with uncle Youngjin. Why? I don’t exactly understand the reason why but they insisted on me following them. After me and uncle Youngjin introduced each other, the other two police officer also introduced themselves. I was sure surprise to find out that Siwon oppa is actually his nephew. No wonder he acted like he knew the man so much when we met. May be there are more shocking news waiting for me, who knows.

 

                Now, back to the story why am I in the car together with him. Uncle Youngjin wants to pay back the kindness that I show by treating me for a dinner. I resisted at first, because I did sincerely help him, so I need not for any payback at all. But the uncle insisted and he said he will not stop bothering me if I still didn’t accept it. And may be Siwon oppa saw the nervousness look on my face, he recommended that he’ll be together with me too. That’s how I ended up in the car and now, we’re on the way to uncle Youngjin’s house, which is still a mystery to me.

 

                It’s already past 5. Jin-chan might be looking for me if I late arrived at home. But, I just couldn’t say no when uncle Youngjin so determined like that. Maybe I’ll just tolerate it for now. To make thing worse, my phone has totally stop working already. Jin-chan will surely strangle me to death.

 

POV end.

 

Sungmin sighed heavily and was noticed by the two men in the front seat.

 

“Something’s wrong, Sungmin?” Youngjin asked.

 

‘Ah, no! nothing!’ she fast denied, using her body language.

 

“It’s good that you’re okay.”

 

“Before that, Sungmin, let me remind you something.” Siwon said makes Sungmin turned to look at him, “There’s going to be a LOT of wolves in uncle Youngjin’s house. Just stick yourself to me, okay?” he warned, strengthening the word ‘lot’.

 

 ‘Wolf?’ Sungmin’s head tilted to the side, confused in a cute way.

 

“Yah, who told you to insult my house?” Youngjin hit Siwon on the head, annoyed by what he said.

 

“What? It is the truth after all. I’m just protecting Sungmin and remind her, that’s all.”

 

“Yeah right.” Uncle Youngjin eyes narrowed, but then he turned to Sungmin back, “Don’t worry Sungmin. Everything will be perfectly fine. Uncle will be there with you.” He assures the girl.

 

Sungmin smiled back at him. I hope. She told herself silently.

 

And yet, by the time Sungmin reached the house, she couldn’t even close plus with eyes wide opened. What she saw now was beyond shocking. The house was an old traditional enormous house, with a very big lawn and trees all over the place. There was even a pond that is very rare to see in a house. Still, Siwon was right about one thing. The place is surrounded with a very LOTS of ‘wolves’ a.k.a men.

 

“Welcome back, master!” almost hundred of men, lining up by the side of the lawn, with a 90 degree bowing, greeting the old man.

 

“Yeah. Yeah. I’m back.” Younjin answered lazily, puts his hand up to stop them from bowing.

 

“Prepare a feast for me and this girl. She is our special guest today. She has saved my life.” Youngjin claimed and an ‘aww’ was heard all over.

 

Sungmin unconsciously gulped. She was still in a confuse state but somehow, she understands the meaning behind the word ‘master’ so much.

 

This is a mafia group. She concluded.

 

~~

 

Sungmin was treated like a princess as soon as she was inside the house. Youngjin even gave her a change of clothes, of course with the help from the female maid that was there. He also ordered his maid to do not say anything about Sungmin being a mute. So, no questions were allowed to ask. At all. They all absolutely obey everything that was told. It was shown how much powerful Youngjin’s status is in the house.

 

Since she herself came from that kind of family, she thinks it’s normal and easily adjusted herself to the environment. After a warm bath, a change of clothes and a smile, she joined Siwon and Youngjin for a dinner.

 

“Did you like the food?” Youngjin asked.

 

Sungmin nodded, smiling.

 

“Then, you should eat more.” The man took more meat and put it inside Sungmin’s bowl.

 

Sungmin thanked him and continued eating. Youngjin was happy to see the smile on Sungmin’s face. He has always wish to have a daughter in the house and seeing Sungmin in front of her now is just like a dream come true.

 

Maybe I should adopt this girl into the household? Or force that brat to marry her. That’s a nice idea. He started to make a future plan inside his head, eyes still fixed on Sungmin.

 

“Uncle, are you drilling a hole on Sungmin?” Siwon’s question took him back into reality, and Sungmin also realize that he has been watching her.

 

“What? No, Sungmin. Uncle didn’t plan anything bad on you. Not at all. I just…I just love seeing you eat. That’s all.” He reasoned out instantly, seeing the frightened look on Sungmin’s face.

 

“Are you sure, uncle?” Siwon continued teasing, amuse with his uncle stutters.

 

Youngjin glare at the latter, and Siwon just chuckled away watching the reaction. It was the first time he ever sees that face after all. He will not miss the chance on teasing him. Furthermore, he knew Youngjin didn’t have any bad intention towards the girl.

 

‘Is there something on my face, uncle?’ Sungmin showed Youngjin the question that she writes in a notebook.

 

“No, there’s nothing. You just look so cute eating.” Youngjin replied, “Just ignore what Siwon said. Uncle will never do anything to you. And if I did, he will stop me for sure.” Sungmin nodded, understand.

 

“He’s right. I’ll always be here.” Siwon added, and they three smiled to each other.

 

“I’m just glad that you like the food. The truth is, you are the first girl that is ever been brought inside this house.” Youngjin started the story, Sungmin’s mouth formed ‘o’, accepting the fact.

 

“No girls ever dare to come to this household. They say whoever tried to come here will not going out alive from here. And of course, it’s not true at all. We are just a bunch of lonely mafia.” He said, faking a depressed look.

 

“You should just ask hyung to marry, uncle. That way, you will surely get a daughter and maybe grandchildren.” Siwon suddenly suggested, with his cheeky grin.

 

“You’re right! Sungmin!” Youngjin called her, grabbed both of Sungmin hands into his, stare deep inside her eyes and said, “Would you be my daughter in law?”

 

What?! Sungmin screamed of shock inside her head, absolutely dumbfounded with the sudden proposal.

 

“Yah, old man…” the door suddenly spread opened and a man was appeared at the door.

 

All eyes turned to the door. Both the man at the door and other spectators’ eyes widen in surprise.

 

“Hey, son.” Youngjin greeted, a silly smile painted on his face.

 

“Old man…you…what are you trying to do?!!” The man rage, face red in anger.

 

 

 

TBC

 

 

 

~~So, here’s the update!! I don’t exactly know what am I writing but hope that it reach the readers. Hehehe…Minnie will be fine, and try to guess who is youngjin’s son. I think most of u can guess it right? And there’s also kyu here, (in case there’s any who question about his whereabouts) hehehe… there will more secrets from now. Comments are highly appreciated! Thank you in advance for reading!!~~ (●⌒∇⌒●)