Reunion

Voice

 

CHAPTER 42

 

After the incident at the amusement park, Sungmin’s friends become more overprotective of her. They tend to not let Sungmin wanders alone and always make sure that Sungmin is with any of them. Sungmin’s grateful but at the same time, it tires her much.

 

“Hu…” she sighed long, blankly staring into space.

 

“What’s wrong?” a voice asked her and Sungmin turned to the man with solemn face.

 

She pouted, “My uncle gave me another curfew to follow.” She informed, sounded so devastated, “He told to be at home before seven every day.”

 

DO smile at Sungmin’s dejected look. He puts a cup in front of her.

 

“Here, drink this. It might calm you.” he told the latter.

 

Sungmin’s eyes turned bright instantly. She smelled a very good aroma from the cup.

 

“What is this, uncle? New tea?” the man nodded at her question.

 

“It’s a flower tea. I bought it from overseas. I heard it can help you to calm one’s mind.”

 

Wasting no time, Sungmin took a sip and moan deliciously when the aromatic tea touched her taste bud.

 

“This is so good…” she exclaimed, totally enjoying the tea.

 

DO smile wider to see the happiness on her, “Enjoy the tea. Call me if there is anything.” He reminded to which Sungmin complied willingly.

 

It has become sort of a habit for Sungmin in the past few days. Ever since the first time she went to DO’s café with her friends, she was captivated by the tea and services there. She often spends her time there, lazing around after the club activities while waiting for the noon to come. Though, it has only been a few times, she admitted that she fell in love to the café.

 

Now, it was another afternoon and she’s waiting for her friends to come. She went ahead from the others because they sort of had some meeting with the student council. She continued enjoying the tea until Kyuhyun came, running towards her.

 

“Sorry. Am I late?” he asked.

 

Sungmin shook her head, “Not that late.” She replied.

 

Kyuhyun invited himself to sit, “What are you doing, Minnie?”

 

Sungmin showed him the music sheet to Kyuhyun.

 

“New song?” she nodded childishly.

 

The paper exchanged hands. Kyuhyun scanned the notes and slowly humming the song. Sungmin waits beside him with a big smile, anticipated for his opinion. She loves Kyuhyun’s voice the most of all people she knew. Kyuhyun’s voice has that husky and healing effect, as she said.

 

“This is nice.” Kyuhyun stated and her smile widened.

 

“Why don’t you sing it, Sungmin? Everyone will be mesmerized.” Kyuhyun suggested and thanked the waitress at the same time for his drink.

 

A pout appeared on Sungmin’s lips.

 

“No…” she denied, “I don’t think it will do any good.”

 

Kyuhyun smiled thinly understood with Sungmin’s response. Even though he and his other friends supporting Sungmin, he knew that it must be still hard for Sungmin to overcome her trauma. And yet, he’s happy though. Sungmin never let go of her passion, music. The least is, he and Ryeowook will sing to whatever song made by Sungmin willingly.

 

 

/////

 

 

Far away in another foreign country, Heechul blinked and frowned deeply by what she saw at the moment. Out of blue a person she never expected to see appear by her work room. A stupid grin was plastered on the man, her in-law, Lee Sungjin.

 

“What are you doing here?” she growled at the man.

 

Sungjin laughed by the reaction he got, “Come on Chullie, can’t I pay a visit to my dearest in law? You know I love you right?” he joked.

 

She kept frowning.

 

“I don’t love you.” she sputtered back.

 

Sungjin laughed it off. He knew her too much anyway.

 

“Get this man a coffee. Black.” Heechul ordered to her assistant to which she obeyed right away, taking a leave to give them some privacy.

 

“So, just tell me what is wrong?” she asked to the point when the man fully seated beside her.

 

Sungjin puckered his lips, thinking.

 

“You know…about Sungmin last time…” he started and Heechul’s attention immediately focused by the name.

 

“She didn’t remember.” He said.

 

Heechul tensed. Even though it was vague, she clearly understood the meaning behind Sungjin’s words.

 

“Why?”

 

Sungjin shrugged nonchalantly, “I don’t know, Chullie. But, Dongwoo and Yunho agreed with me that it was a good thing that she didn’t remember a thing.”

 

Heechul was still frowning. Her woman’s instinct tells her the otherwise.

 

“What if she was just lying?” she guessed, “You know that she is my sister’s daughter right? They share the same gene, aka secretive. What if she is just lying to hide that man’s identity or something? We can’t skip that possibility.” She added.

 

“Yes maybe. But, I saw Sungmin’s eyes. It didn’t seem like she’s lying.” Sungjin retorted.

 

Heechul sighed.

 

“If it is true, then it’s good. I just hope that will not hide anything from us.” She wished, sincerely.

 

Sungjin nodding his head few times agreed to the statement.

 

“So? That’s all?”

 

Sungjin sneered at her after hearing the question.

 

“You really know me too much.” He commented.

 

Heechul scoffed, “Of course I am.”

 

~~Few days later~~

 

Sungmin was at school as usual. It has finally ended after a long hours of study.

 

“Sungminie, did you know?” Ryeowook vaguely asked.

 

“What?”

 

“There’s a y and beautiful blonde lady at the school gate. She seems like she’s waiting for someone.” Ryeowook informed.

 

“y?”

 

Why I didn’t like that term so much? Sungmin told herself.

 

“Did you know anyone like that, Minnie?” Kyuhyun suddenly asked.

 

“Eh?”

 

“Why would you ask Sungmin that, Kyuhyun?”

 

“Well…there are so many new people arrived ever since Sungmin came here. So, I thought…well, who knows right?” he assumed and shrugged at his own thought.

 

Sungmin giggles, “Maybe you’re right. But, I didn’t make any appointment with anyone. Well, expect the previous time.”

 

“But, her face seems so familiar,” Eunhyuk added by the side, “I think I have seen her in magazine or somewhere.”

 

“A celebrity?” they all guessed.

 

Eunhyuk shrugged, “I don’t know. Maybe yes, maybe not.”

 

“Come on, let’s ignore the petty things. We should head home now.” Kyuhyun cuts off the conversation and lead the others in front.

 

They walked together leaving the school lawn while talking about homework that they got for the day. But, just as they about to reach the gate, they stopped. Just like what Ryeowook informed just now, there was standing a woman waiting by the gate. She looked y and beautiful posing like in pictorial book with the red car parking beside her.

 

“MAMA?!” Sungmin called shockingly.

 

The blonde lady turned and smiled brightly.

 

“Hey princess!” she spreads her arms widely and Sungmin immediately run towards her, surprising everyone looking.

 

“I miss you so much!” she exclaimed, hugging Sungmin tightly.

 

“I miss you too, mama. But, how and what are you doing here?” Sungmin questioned, confusingly.

 

“I have some business here. So did your baba. So, here I am. Forgive me for not coming to your festival and sorry about not being with you when you need me.” She apologized, caressing Sungmin’s cheeks with love.

 

Sungmin absentmindedly shakes her head, “It’s okay. Jin-chan and Woo-kun were there. I got my friends too.” She replied, still disbelief with the sudden appearance of her mama.

 

“Did you miss me?”

 

Sungmin laughed softly, flashing a very bright smile.

“Of course I miss you, mama.” She hugged the lady again, happily.

 

The others on the other hand gawked, trying to understand the whole situation. It turned out Kyuhyun’s prediction was right on the spot. Sungmin once again surprised them with a new member introduced. But, this time, everyone seems to disbelieve to see such beauty.

 

“Anyway, tell me honestly. How do I look?” Heechul asked, spins herself in front of her.

 

Sungmin pouts.

 

“Not good?”

 

“No, it’s beautiful. Mama has always been so beautiful. No one will be able to surpass you in that.” Sungmin retorted, succeeded in making Heechul smiles by the praises.

 

“But, mama…this dress is too y. Aren’t you showing too much skin already? Doesn’t baba get angry at you?”

 

Heechul laughed.

 

“Don’t worry, princess. Your baba already gave me the permission. Furthermore, he will never argue with me when I show him only skin.” She winked.

 

Sungmin’s face turned bright red in an instant. Even Sungmin’s friends by the side who heard, blush by the boldness.

 

“MAMA! Stop being a ert!” Sungmin protested.

 

Heechul laughed it off. Sungmin then introduced her friends to her so-claimed mama. Everyone was absolutely in awe by the beauty of Heechul. They can see some resemblance from Heechul and Sungmin. Both are baby-faced and a natural beauty, they concluded. After a short introduction, she and Sungmin excused themselves to go home.

 

“Baba!” Sungmin called happily and embraced her baba tight upon reaching home with Heechul.

 

Hangeng laughed, “I miss you so much princess.” He said, patting the girl’s back gently.

 

Sungmin laughed back at him, really happy with his and Heechul’s arrival. Heechul trailed behind her, with same happiness. Both husband and wife are widely known to be very busy couple. So, whenever they have the time for her, Sungmin will the happiest.

 

“So, did anything happen at school? Your mama didn’t create any scene right?” he asked Sungmin, just to tease his wife actually.

 

Sungmin shook her head, “Not really. But, everyone was embarrassed when mama makes her dirty joke again.” She joked, receiving a protest from Heechul.

 

“But, I can’t blame mama on that though,” Sungmin suddenly added, “Mama is the goddess of sinner. Every eyes looking will be in sin whenever they saw mama’s beauty.” She said, grinned resembled a teasing kid.

 

Heechul laughed by the compliment, “True. No one will be able to resist me. I am your mama after all.” She spiced up the comment, ruffling Sungmin’s hair affectionately.

 

“Anyway, what shall we cook for dinner?” Hangeng changed the topic, “Baba got a time off for today. Should we cook your favorite?” he questioned.

 

Sungmin eyes sparkled to hear it, “Em!” she nodded eagerly.

 

“Then, go and get changed. We’ll leave to buy the ingredients after this.”

 

“Yes, sir! Mama, I’ll get going first.” Sungmin announced and pecked Heechul before she run off towards her room.

 

“She’s so excited.” Commented Heechul.

 

“Are you talking about Sungmin or yourself, Heechul?” came a voice behind, teasing her.

 

Heechul turned with a glare. No one who would dare to like that except her in-law, Sungjin. Sungjin smirked at her, and quickly leave before they caught into another fight. Still, Sungjin was right. It was not only Sungmin, even she was excited about being together with Sungmin again.

 

“Baby, I’ll go with Sungmin to buy some ingredients for our dinner. Are you coming?” Hangeng appeared from the door.

 

He went towards the cupboard and took a new shirt. He changed his shirts to a better one. Heechul on the other hand, thought long and shook her head.

 

“I’ll pass. Feels like lying down.” Replied Heechul, lazily.

 

Hengeng chuckled. He already expected that. He just asks to make sure. He walked to his wife and kissed her fully on the lips before saying goodbye. He then went downstairs meeting up with Sungmin. After getting the list ready, they went to the nearest mall to buy everything. Hangeng already used to do all the housework even though he was extremely busy. And with Sungmin as the helper, he got no more complains.

 

“What should we buy next? Do you want me to make you anything special? Hot and spicy maybe.” He suggested.

 

Sungmin shook her head, reclined the idea, “Maybe not. Mama doesn’t like to eat spicy food so much, remember?”

 

“True on that. But so you know, ever since she got pregnant, her appetite has drastically…changed.” Informed the elder, “So, I think spicy is good choice of all others.”

 

“Really?” Sungmin thought, “Then, should we make something else for her? Does mama wants to eat Korean food, baba?”

 

“Perhaps. She’s very unpredictable, you do realize that, right?”

 

Sungmin giggled, agreed to the truth.

 

“SALES! SPECIAL OFFER FOR FRESH MEAT! ONLY 5,000 WON!” suddenly a salesman announced.

 

“APPA! I’ll go!” Sungmin volunteered and ran fast towards the section before Hangeng managed to say anything.

 

Hangeng chuckled, “Pabo, it’s not like I don’t have money to buy.” He commented with a smile, but he followed to Sungmin’s side still.

 

Sungmin struggled with the other customers to get the meat on sale before the time limit exceeded. Just about her turn, she grabbed the meat fast but collided with someone else hand at the same time.

 

“Ah!” they turned to each other in sync and once again astounded.

 

“Sungmin?”        “Uncle D.O?” they called for each other name at the same time.

 

“This is a pleasant surprise. What are you doing here?” the man asked.

 

Sungmin smiled wide, “I’m on errand.” Unconsciously she let go of the meat she’s holding.

 

“Alone?”

 

Sungmin quickly denied, “I’m with my baba. He…”

 

“Sungmin, what’s wrong?” came Hangeng on the nick of time.

 

Hangeng frowned to see a man beside Sungmin.

 

“Ah baba, sorry I couldn’t get the meat.” Sungmin reported with a sulk.

 

“It’s okay, princess. We can always get another. Baba got all the money to buy new one.” He comforted her, “But he…do you know him, Sungminie?” he asked, referred to the man.

 

DO smile at him, “Sorry for the late introduction. I’m DO. An acquaintance of Sungmin.” He offered his hand to which Hangeng accepted.

 

DO? Strange name. Hangeng hide his thought inside.

 

“Hi, I’m Hangeng. Sungmin’s father.” And he introduced himself, openly.

 

“What are you doing here, uncle DO? Are you on errand too?”

 

DO nodded, “I’m just getting some things for my fridge and the café too. You got a lot. Are you holding a feast with those?” He pointed to the pile of ingredients and food inside Sungmin’s trolley.

 

“Hehehe…sort of.” Sungmin smiled sheepishly.

 

“Well, do you need this meat then?” DO asked, showing the meat on sale on his hand, “I don’t want your party to be spoiled without it.” He added.

 

“Ah…” Sungmin trailed, looking at Hangeng.

 

“It’s okay, you can have it.” Reclined Hangeng politely, “We can always get other meat. Furthermore, this portion is not enough with our family.”

 

“Hehehe…baba’s right. I almost forget about that.” agreed Sungmin.

 

“Really? Then, I take this then.”

 

Hangeng nodded, “We should get going Sungmin.” signaled Hangeng to the girl to leave.

 

“Okay, baba. See you again, uncle DO. It’s nice to meet you.” Sungmin said and walked away with Hangeng holding arms.

 

DO smile and waved back, “Yeah…see you.” He whispered.

 

After making sure that they are quite far from DO, Hangeng asked her niece about the relationship between her and the man. Sungmin explained the story that happened to her. Hangeng listened but he can’t help but feels anxious about the whole meeting him. The way Sungmin talked about the stranger feels like there’s something between them. Then again, he shrugged the feelings away. He didn’t want to think much and what’s more he doesn’t think his wife will like the fact that some men has appeared in Sungmin’s life again.

 

 

/////

 

 

“So? The woman we met this afternoon is actually your aunt? From China?”

 

Sungmin nodded and hummed to Kyuhyun’s question. They are talking on the phone.

 

“Ohhh…she’s the rumored mama of yours then?”

 

Sungmin giggled sweetly.

 

“She doesn’t look old to be call as mama.” Kyuhyun stated his opinion.

 

“Well, mama wasn’t that old actually. Plus, she’s really baby faced. So, it’s normal for people to get surprise after meeting her.”

 

“Yeah, more surprise to know that she got a high scholar as a daughter.” Kyuhyun added more to her statement.

 

Sungmin giggled by the truth. She agreed on that statement though. She realized that many eyes were watching her strangely upon her mama’s arrival at school that afternoon. But, she didn’t care much about it. In fact, she already used to it. She knew it will be more chaos if the students find out about her relationship with Dongwoo, the idol.

 

“Anyway Kyukyu, have you finished the homework that Yong-saeng gave?”

 

Kyuhyun hummed, “Almost. I don’t feel like doing it eagerly. The night is still young anyway.”

 

“Well, I hope you don’t forget about other homework.” Sungmin reminded.

 

“What? There’s more?”

 

Sungmin nodded. Immediately after that, she heard a growl from Kyuhyun.

 

“Darn, I forgot about that. Have you finished?” he asked her back.

 

“Err…yeah?”

 

“Great. Can I see some of the notes? I promise I’ll pay back to you anyhow.”

 

Sungmin smiles, “I will send the note through email. And you don’t have to payback anything Kyukyu. I am just glad to be able to help.”

 

“What do you mean no? I couldn’t just take it.”

 

“But…”

 

“No buts. Send it to me and I’ll decide for the treat tomorrow, okay?” Kyuhyun fast rebutted against Sungmin.

 

Sungmin sighed, “Okay…” she gives up.

 

“Okay then. We’ll talk again. See you tomorrow.”

 

“Em. Good night Kyukyu.”

 

“Good night Ming.”

 

They ended their call both with smile lasted on their face. And just as Sungmin put her phone down, her mama walked inside her room.

 

“Who are you talking to? A boy?” she asked, curious.

 

Sungmin tensed by the correct guess. She fidgeted with her fingers and slowly nodded.

 

“But, he’s just a friend mama. I can assure that.” she quickly added.

 

Heechul stares at her long. After she was truly convinced, she smiled.

 

“Good. I don’t want you to have a boyfriend yet at this age.” She said, patting Sungmin’s head gently, “You’re still young. And if he really likes you, he will wait for you.” Advised Heechul like a real mother.

 

Sungmin smiled sweetly at her and nodded, agreed.

 

“So, my princess I want to ask you something.” Heechul took a seat on the bed, “Tell me, when you look at me now, what do you see?”

 

“Eh? What do you mean?”

 

“Well…don’t you realize any difference in me?” Heechul opened her arms wide for her to find the difference.

 

Sungmin pouted while watching her mama. She squinted her eyes closely to search for something but, she couldn’t notice anything difference from her. She shook her head.

 

“I don’t see any difference, mama. You still look the same to me, still beautiful as ever.” said the girl.

 

Heechul smiled, “Really? Don’t you think I’m getting fatter?”

 

“What?! Fat?! No! Who dare to say you’re fat, mama? He or she must have some nerves to say it.” Sungmin said truthfully and Heechul laughed even more.

 

Sungmin frowned. She didn’t understand why Heechul being so calm talking about that topic with her. As far as she could remember, her mama is someone very sensitive about her body figures. Slowly, after she regains back herself from laughing, Heechul shifted closer to Sungmin. She reached for the girl’s hand and gently put it on her belly.

 

“He’s here, now.” Heechul stated with her voice full of motherly love.

 

Sungmin was dumfounded. She blankly stares at the hand and Heechul’s face repeatedly. After quite some time, her lips break into a big smile.

 

“AHHHHH!” she screamed excitedly and engulfed her into a tight embrace.

 

“REALLY MAMA? ARE YOU REALLY SURE?!” she asked, showing a face of excitement.

 

Heechul nodded and Sungmin screamed again, jumping all around the room happily. Thumping of people running was loudly heard from the outside. All the men inside the house appeared by the door, panting hard.

 

“What? What happened?” Sungjin asked, panicked.

 

“Jin-chan!”

 

“Umph!” Sungjin almost fall backward by the tackled from Sungmin, “What the…”

 

“I’m going to have baby sibling, Jin-chan! I’m going to be unnie! Yay!!” she cheered, very happy.

 

The men turned to Heechul sitting on the bed. Heechul shrugged.

 

“You finally told her.” Sungjin concluded and Heechul nodded.

 

Sungmin’s laughter fills the entire house that day. The news given was really the happiest news ever for the family. After years of trying, Sungmin’s mama is finally pregnant which was totally a celebration for them all. Sungmin remarked the day as a memorable one in her calendar for the future. She can’t wait for her younger sibling to arrive because she knows the child will be great one day.

 

 

/////

 

 

On the next day, Heechul and Sungmin to school together. Heechul went there for a parent-teacher meeting. That was the sole reason why she came to Korea in the first place. Many eyes were watching in envy when they saw Sungmin walking together with Heechul. Some of them already recognized Heechul and if they don’t, they were already in awe seeing her.

 

“Jongjin is staying at the same school as yours, right?”

 

Sungmin nodded.

 

“I heard many stories about you and him from Amber. She said you had fun here.”

 

Sungmin chuckled, “I did, mama.”

 

Heechul smiled wide, “I’m glad then. It was a good choice that you’re here.” She said, cupping Sungmin’s face affectionately.

 

Sungmin laughed with the love from her mama. They hold hands and walked together to the staff room in meeting the teacher.

 

“Hello, I’m Han Heechul, Lee Sungmin’s guardian.” She greeted and introduced herself to the teacher.

 

“Nice to meet you, Mrs Han. You are as beautiful as what they describe you as.” Compliment the teacher, sincerely.

 

Sungmin’s smile beamed wider after the praise. She really is proud to have Heechul as her mama. After that, she excused herself to go back to her class. She made a promise to meet with her mama again right after school. The teacher then invited Heechul to discuss about Sungmin’s grade and everything related. There’s a lot that she needs to catch up with her daughter’s progress.

 

She feels grateful to hear the improvement of Sungmin’s social life which is getting better day by day. She even asked for a tour from the teacher to know more about Sungmin’s school.

 

“I am glad, but can you give me a minute? I want to make a quick round to the washroom first?” she requested shyly.

 

Heechul nodded and fast, the teacher dashed to the nearest washroom. Heechul took out her phone and scans for anything new available. Just as she was doing do, a finger poke behind her few times. Frowning hard by the gesture, she turned to the said person with a glare. Her eyes widened upon meeting the person, grinning.

 

“Hey, lady Heenim.” The man greeted, bowed jokingly.

 

“Onew!” she called, “Seriously you annoyed me. If it was somebody else, that person is already dead by now.” She threatened.

 

Onew laughed her warning off, “Don’t be so grumpy lady Heenim, it’s not good for your beauty.” He joked.

 

Heechul scoffed at his attics.

 

“What are you doing here? Visiting Sungmin’s school?” asked him to which he got a nod as a response, “See anything interesting yet?” he asked more.

 

“Nothing much actually. But, Sungmin got great friends. They seem to understand her better than the last time.” She expressed her thought.

 

“It’s good right?”

 

“How about you?” Heechul gave the question back at him.

 

Onew frowned, confusingly.

 

“What about me?” he asked back.

 

“What are you doing here as the teacher? You’re not here as a spy to my in-law right?”

 

Onew laughed by the sharp remark from the lady. It was not a hundred percent lie but not entirely true either. It was a fact that he came from the Lee clan and he knew very well Sungjin. He retired at some point because of certain reason and moved on with his life but he still associate with Sungjin anyhow.

 

“I am here as a protector.” He told the lady, “You can think of that reason.” He grinned.

 

Heechul sneered at the reason. But she accepts it. She was thankful actually. There is no one she could trust in the world except the one who has some connection with the family. Sungmin didn’t know about it, but it was better if she didn’t know at all. The least is, Sungmin can have a normal life. After that, Sungmin’s teacher came back and they talked some more about Sungmin’s progression in school.

 

While Heechul thought everything is going well with Sungmin’s school, once again her thought was dead wrong. Her eyes grew big staring at the figure in front of her. The other person was also in deep shock, staring at her. Both seems to know each other and didn’t expect the reunion at all.

 

“You are…here? How?” Heechul spoke after a long stare.

 

Leeteuk quickly averted her eyes away.

 

“Ah, miss Heechul, this is our school nurse, miss Jungsoo.” The teacher introduced.

 

“School nurse? Since when?” Heechul blurted the question, still frowning.

 

“Since when?” the teacher confusedly repeated the question, “Err...it’s already been few years now. Why? Is there something wrong miss?” she asked back.

 

Heechul didn’t answer the teacher’s question. Hell, she didn’t even take away her eyes from staring at Leeteuk. She unconsciously gritted her teeth. Shock? That was an understatement. She is angry.

 

“No, there’s nothing.” She controlled her voice as calm as possible, “I think there’s nothing else for me here. I’ll take my leave.” She casually left, leaving the teacher all speechless with her sudden change of behavior.

 

“Did I offend her, Teukie? She’s seems angry out of sudden.”

 

Leeteuk’s eyes were far away watching Heechul. She slowly shook her head.

 

“It’s not you, Mrs Kim. It’s me.” she inaudibly whispered the last statement, once again being overwhelmed by the guilt.

 

She knew that ever since her first reunion with Sungjin, she will be reunited again with Sungmin’s other family member. But, she didn’t expect for it to be so soon. She must make everything clear after this. There’s no use for her to hide anymore.

 

 

TBC

 

A/n: Thank you so much for all the readers that still support this story…your comments are always appreciated ^^ Thank you also for the new subscribers…thank you again…hihi ^^