Smile

Voice

 

CHAPTER 37

 

Sungmin smiled satisfyingly at the plane slowly boarding into the sky. She’s grateful that Amber is fine now and she knew that Henry will always be by her side.

 

“Someone is in a good mood.” Greeted Kyuhyun with a smile.

 

Sungmin nodded agreeing.

 

“I am.”

 

“That’s good to hear.” Kyuhyun told Sungmin sincerely, their eyes were looking at the same blue sky through the big window.

 

Kyuhyun glanced at Sungmin by the corner of his eyes. Suddenly, he gets nervous.

 

“Hey Sungmin…” He called softly.

 

Sungmin hummed and turned to him.

 

“I was wondering…”

 

“KYUHYUN!” Two pairs of hands came crushing him from the back suddenly, shocking him.

 

“Yah!” He yelled in annoyance, knowing the culprit behind it.

 

His friends grinned sheepishly to see the anger on his face.

 

“So, Kyu. Have you told her?” Donghae started her question.

 

Kyuhyun groaned.

 

“I was about to ask when all of you came and CRUSH me!” he glared at them, showing his dissatisfaction.

 

They laughed awkwardly, absolutely realized what have they did.

 

“Told me what?” Sungmin cuts in a question.

 

Confusion was written all over her face with her friends’ conversation.

 

“Ah…actually…I was about to ask you…something.” Kyuhyun stammered again.

 

Sungmin’s head tilted the side cutely while waiting for Kyuhyun to continue.

 

“Err…tomorrow…are you free?” finally he asked.

 

“Tomorrow? Why?”

 

“Well…”

 

“We’re going for a date.” Donghae interrupted.

 

Kyuhyun growled with a deathly stare at his cousin after the interruption. Donghae smirked at him instead. She’s just frustrated with Kyuhyun’s stammering. Kyuhyun let out a sigh.

 

“Date?” Sungmin repeated the word, still puzzled.

 

“We’ve got some tickets for the amusement park, Sungminie. And we’re thinking of going there together.” Ryeowook explained, “You’re going to come with us, right?” she repeated again, eyes already sparkled with hope.

 

Actually, even Donghae, Eunhyuk and especially Kyuhyun were anticipated for Sungmin to agree and say ‘yes’ to their invitation. But Sungmin on the contrary, smiled thinly.

 

“Sorry.”

 

Their face turned solemn in unison.

 

“I’m really sorry. If it is tomorrow, I really can’t join.” She said again, apologetically.

 

“Why? You already got something in plan?” Kyuhyun questioned, while hiding his disappointment from all.

 

Sungmin slowly nodded.

 

“Actually yes. I’m leaving to Japan tonight. There’s going to be a tea ceremony and clan gathering tomorrow at my house in Japan. Yun-kun and Woo-kun were already there, making all the preparation and waiting for me. I have to be there since Jin-chan is the leader of all clan and Jin-chan also going to introduce me to the other clan members. It is essentially an important ceremony.” Sungmin explained long.

 

Her friends’ expressions were still down even after it ended.

 

“Sorry…” Sungmin repeated again, feel sorry to disappoint her friends like that.

 

“No, don’t be sorry Sungminie. It’s not your fault. We should have asked you first before getting the tickets.” Kyuhyun comforted her on his friend’s behalf.

 

“Ah but, I still feel sorry…”

 

“No, it’s okay.” Kyuhyun cuts her, “We’ll just cancel the date, okay?”

 

Eunhyuk, Donghae and Ryeowook nodded faintly. They disappointed but at the same time, they knew Sungmin needs to give a full commitment for her other duty.

 

A chuckle suddenly heard from the disappointment scene. Yesung was practically laughing and they certainly didn’t understand the meaning from the laugh.

 

“Seriously…all of you look like someone was dying.” He joked, unconsciously sulking the younger ones, “Here, let me show you something. I’m sure it will be able to cheer you up.”

 

“Eh?”

 

Yesung took the ticket and showed them some writings on it.

 

“It stated here…‘No expiration date’. Which means, you can use the tickets anytime you want. It’s not necessarily need to be tomorrow.” He explained, “Well, it can’t be help that Sungmin couldn’t join you for tomorrow but it doesn’t mean that you can’t postpone it to next week right?”

 

Sungmin and the others stared. After some realization, a smile finally blooms on each of them.

 

“Yeah! Let’s go next week!” they cheered and hugged each other happily.

 

/////

 

In Japan, after the tea ceremony.

 

“I’ll be home tomorrow, Jinnie.” Sungmin informed, talking to Jongjin on the phone.

 

“Really? Got any souvenirs for me?” he tried his luck.

 

Sungmin giggled. Of course she prepared something. Though it was such a short trip, she never forgets to buy something for her friends. After a few more talk with the boy, she ended the call and went straight to bed.

 

Sungmin yawned tiredly. She rested her head on the soft board of the bedding and closed her eyes slowly. It’s been a tiring day and she couldn’t even complain to anyone due to duty. She shifted herself to find a comfortable side soft on the bed and relaxed on the thick mattress. She tried to doze off but her mind was still not that tired. She opens back her eyes and came across few pictures of her family on the side table.

 

She unconsciously smiled. Getting up from bed, she reached out for one picture frame. She watched the picture closely with a smile lasted on her lips.

 

“I miss you too, umma and appa.” She professed.

 

It’s a family picture of her and her late parents. It’s a lie to say that she didn’t miss them. True, they have been gone for years already, but Sungmin’s love to them has never change. She missed them so much especially in the ceremony which involved the clan just like what she just experienced. Her mind drifted into dreamland slowly while thinking the memories of her family.

 

A knock suddenly heard and immediately open to appear Yunho in suits.

 

“Sungmin?” he called.

 

“I’m here, Yun-kun.” Sungmin waved at him with a smile still.

 

Yunho smiles back at her and invited himself inside the room. He walked straight to Sungmin’s bed.

 

“Tired?”

 

Sungmin smiled, assured the man, “A bit. But all is better. This is not my first time, remember?”

 

“I know. I’m just making sure.”

 

Sungmin giggles, “I’m not a child, Yun-kun. And even if I am tired, surely I will tell you right away. You know I can’t lie anything from you.”

 

Yunho laughed soundlessly. He agreed with her though. He noticed the picture frame on Sungmin’s lap.

 

“You miss them?” he guessed.

 

Sungmin’s eyes diverted to the picture.

 

“Yeah, I miss them.” She agreed.

 

Yunho smiled thinly at her as he watched the girl. There was silence in the room as both of them enjoying the moment alone. His eyes also focused on the picture, to which his former leader seems so happy with his family. The family that belongs to him now.

 

“Ah, Yun-kun. Are you going?” Sungmin suddenly asked.

 

“Where?” Yunho fast questioned back by the vague question.

 

“The arranged meeting.”

 

He frowned by the answer.

 

“How did you know about this?” he interrogate.

 

Sungmin smiled awkwardly, “I heard the elders talking just now. They said they found a perfect match for you.” She replied, almost whispering the answer.

 

Still with a frown, “I didn’t teach you to eavesdrop.” He scolded the girl, flicking Sungmin’s head softly.

 

Sungmin pouted by the accusation.

 

“I didn’t mean to. I just hear them talking and it’s their fault for speaking it out loud. They’re not even hiding it from me though.” She defended herself.

 

Yunho laughed to see the pout appear. He was just teasing her. He didn’t actually mind if Sungmin knew about it. He ruffles Sungmin’s hair and the girl spontaneously laughed by the sweet affection.

 

“So? So? Are you going Yun-kun?”

 

Sungmin repeated her previous question. There’s a hint of excitement in her eyes as she waits for Yunho’s reply. Yunho watched her for the longest time and shook his head in slow motion. Sungmin’s lips puckered into a duck automatically. She expected the answer but it still feels sad to hear it.

 

“Why? It’s not because of me, right?” she blamed herself into it.

 

Yunho gave her a thin smile.

 

“No, hime. I am not yet ready to tie a knot with anybody for the moment.” He makes excuses, “That’s why I reclined the offer. Not everything is because of you, you know.”

 

“Really?”

 

He nodded to Sungmin’s anxiety. But, the look that Sungmin’s gave proves that she is not at all convinced.

 

“Anyway, why would you say that, Sungmin?” he asked the latter.

 

Sungmin pouted while looking at him.

 

“Well…because you, Jin-chan and Woo-kun are all the same.” Yunho smiled and put all ears on her.

 

“First, I can accept if Woo-kun being solo is because of his reputation as an idol. But, you and Jin-chan are different. I don’t understand why you and Jin-chan didn’t want to find a partner. Last week, Jin-chan also got the same offer. He rejected it without even paying a glance at the other person picture. He reasoned that he didn’t want to make me feel lonely by accepting new person in his life. I don’t get his reason but I have to understand it because he’s my only uncle. Still…I don’t…want to hear people saying that you’re an old bachelor.” She complained long.

 

Yunho didn’t say a word but to just let her finish her complain. He smile warmly at the girl and patted her head.

 

“You don’t have to worry anything about other people’s talk, hime. We are completely fine with the way things are now. True, you are one of the reasons, but I’m not saying that we’re not going to get marry at all. Just for this moment, marriage is not our top priority.” He explained.

 

Sungmin was still pouting. She wasn’t that satisfied with the explanation given. She loves her uncles so much that she wanted them to find their own happiness, not to just stick to her alone. She didn’t want to continue being the reason for them being solo because since she’s small, it has always been the same excuses.

 

“Enough talking. You should take a rest. I’ll wake you up once we’re settled to send you home.”

 

Sungmin nodded faintly.

 

“Okay…” she trailed her word long but lay on the bed comfortably.

 

“I love you, my hime.” He planted a kiss on Sungmin forehead lovingly.

 

Yunho walked out from Sungmin’s room carefully to not wake her up. He turned forward to come into Sungjin instead walking towards him on the way.

 

“Where’s Sungmin?” the man asked.

 

“Resting. There’s still few hours left before your flight, right?”

 

Sungjin nodded and turned back, changing his route, walking side by side with Yunho.

 

“What did you talk about?”

 

“Nothing much except the marriage proposal.” Sungjin flinched by the topic, “So…you reclined the offer?” he mocked at the latter.

 

The leader grinned awkwardly, “Well…I don’t like her so much.”

 

“Without even looking?” once again he got a ‘slap’ on the face.

 

“Alright…alright. I admit it. No need to pierce into my wound further.” He sighed wearily, “Those people just love to butts into my business. It’s not like I’m so desperate getting laid. I’m a man right?” he nagged.

 

“What about you, Yun? I heard they offered the same thing.” He gives the question right back to Yunho.

 

“Yeah they did. It was not the same woman though.” He corrected, “But, I don’t think they’re going to give up after this.”

 

“True.” Both of them sigh in sync.

 

“Dongwoo is really lucky to be an idol. He can use that excuse to avoid this stupid marriage matter. Sometimes, I wished it was me.”

 

“Well, you are an ‘idol’ yourself remember?” Yunho stated sarcastically.

 

Sungjin snickered at the statement said.

 

“But you know, Sungmin was worried about us.” Yunho added.

 

“Worried? Why?”

 

“She’s afraid that we might end up being an old bachelor.”

 

A laugh erupted from the man.

 

“That girl was just being paranoid. It’s not like we’re so old for her to be so worry.” He said, feels a bit amused by his niece thinking.

 

“Well, she blames herself, that’s for sure.” Yunho added.

 

Sungjin looks up front, thinking.

 

“Hey Yun…” he called softly, as the other man slowly went away ahead of him.

 

Yunho turned.

 

“What if, I told you now…I met someone from our past? Will you be angry?” he questioned, serious.

 

His eyes furrows into deep frown, trying to process Sungjin’s question. Then, he realized.

 

“Jungsoo.” The name naturally came out from his lips.

 

Jungsoo was their one and only past that still exist in their heart. It was the past that they have been trying to search and running away from. Sungjin told Yunho everything that happened on Sungmin’s school festival. At first, he wants to hide it but to keep it all by himself, making him restless day by day. He knew that he can trust Yunho in keeping secrets. Furthermore, he knew, it will not be long for the truth to reveal one day.

 

 

 

TBC