Parting, all is Well

Voice

http://sadlifequotes.net/wp-content/uploads/every-story.jpg

 

CHAPTER 36

Later that night, Henry and Jongjin accompanied Amber back to Sungmin’s house with puffy eyes (only Amber). Sungmin was shocked to see it but she decided to not say anything after a signal from Henry. She comforted Amber and told her to take a shower while she prepared the bed. And while she’s cleaning herself, Jongjin and Henry told her what has happened. She sighed after the story ended but she promised that she’ll help to make her better.

 

“Mingming…”

 

“Ah A, come here. Let’s sleep together.” Sungmin invites, patting the bed beside her.

 

Amber slowly walked closer to her and lied herself on the bed without words. Sungmin smiles. She’s a bit relief that Amber has already calmed down rather than when she came back. By the look on her face, she can already tell that something not good has happened again. But, she chose to not ask anything because she understood everything just by a nod from Henry.

 

Sungmin turned off the room’s light and left the table lamp on, purposely. After that, she also lie herself on the bed, beside the dongsaeng. Amber on the other hand, was watching Sungmin’s movement in silent. When Sungmin has settled down, she moved closed and snuggled on Sungmin’s pajama, gently.

 

“What is it?” Sungmin questioned carefully, caressing her hair soft.

 

Amber didn’t right away give an answer to the question. She just stares at Sungmin and cuddled into Sungmin’s embrace.

 

“Can you pat me, Mingming?” she requested, almost whispering.

 

Sungmin obeyed by her words, and patted Amber’s back gently. Amber closed her eyes slowly, enjoying the moment. Sungmin waited for her to speak again, patiently.

 

“Henry is being so unfair again, Mingming.” Amber stated, after a long time of silence.

 

“He scolded me again, today. He said I’m stupid because I kept on drooling over Jongwoon oppa. He told me that I should already forget about my feeling to oppa and moved on. He’s the stupid one, idiot mochi.” Amber grumbled, “How can he expect me to do that so easily. It’s impossible.” She complained, extremely dissatisfied with the whole situation happening especially regarding Henry.

 

“What should I do now, Mingming? Please tell me.” She asked.

 

Her eyes are already glistening with tears once more, just to remember what has happened. Her sadness has overwhelmed her again. She never feels that weak before. And just in front of Sungmin, she thought that she might need to break the wall some times.

 

Sungmin smiled sadly. She continues patting and caressing Amber’s head.

 

“It’s not your fault, A.”

 

A tear fall from Amber’s eyes slowly after Sungmin said the words. It does hurt her heart and opened up her eyes to the reality which was obviously a lot painful to be said than done. Sungmin didn’t say anything else, but to just took the initiative to hug the girl more. She wants to avoid her from breaking again.

 

“It’s not anyone fault if you fall in love to someone.” She said again, “Everyone has the right to choose what they want and who they want to fall in love with. Sometimes, we human are useless to fight against our heart because it always did something we don’t want it to. But, you know, A, you yourself knew which is better for you, not somebody else. It will take time, but for sure, someone will come to you, and be there with you always.”

 

Sungmin’s long explanation and advice calmed Amber’s heart much more than before. She feels relaxed and Sungmin is right about everything. May be her heart still loves Yesung, but she also has some ‘thing’ towards one other person. Time will tell and heal everything, she was sure.

 

Sungmin’s hold onto her tightens and softly she hummed a song. Amber closed her eyes slowly, enjoying the heavenly voice from Sungmin.

 

Just like the old days. She told herself in silence.

 

Amber was really grateful to get to know Sungmin. They got to know each other on one summer and only during summer when Sungmin went to visit her mama that they are together. But, that didn’t stop from their relationship to grow. Back then, Sungmin didn’t speak much to anyone, but she was really glad that she was persistent in knowing her. Because after she did, they are inseparable and every day is a blessing for each of them.

 

It’s true that their relationship didn’t start as good as anyone else but their time spent together will always be cherished forever. And just like the old time, Sungmin’s voice never fails to calm her heart. It soothes every pain that she kept inside.

 

“Thank you for staying with me, Mingming.” She thanked her sincerely.

 

Sungmin’s smile bloomed. She knew by then that it will be a new start altogether for them.

 

That midnight, Sungmin once again wake up from her sleep unconsciously. She felt thirsty and went downstairs to the kitchen. She was surprised though, upon seeing Henry there, innocently searching for some food inside the fridge.

 

“Henry?”

 

Henry turned to her in fast mode, quite shock, “Ah, Ming. Did I make noise?” he asked, mouth full with a pack of bread.

 

“Well…nope.” Sungmin replied, hesitant but she smiles nonetheless.

 

“What are you doing actually, Henry? Don’t tell me you’re hungry.” She teased.

 

Henry laughed awkwardly by the bull’s eye.

 

“Sort of. But, I’m not the only one. Jongjin who told me to steal some food.” He quickly said to defend himself.

 

“Yah, what do you mean I told you to steal?” came a voice from behind and when they turned, Jongjin was there, with arms on his chest and a frown on his face.

 

“Jongjinnie…”

 

“I just told you to get some snack, that’s all.” He rebutted.

 

“Hahaha…I’m just joking.” Henry laughed it away.

 

Jongjin groaned at him, and walked closer. Sungmin also laughed. The two friends will always bicker with each other anyway.

 

“You’re hungry too, Jongjinnie?”

 

Jongjin sighs, “Not much. But, I just feel like eating something.”

 

“Want me to cook pasta? I can do one really fast.” Sungmin suggested.

 

The boys’ eyes sparkled almost immediately with that.

 

“Gladly!” they said in unison.

 

Sungmin smiles away by the childish act. She started taking the ingredients out for the pasta and let them waiting and talking by the table.

 

“Mingming…” someone called and there was only one person that called Sungmin by that name.

 

“A?”

 

“Hey A.” they boys greeted her leisurely.

 

“You’re cooking pasta?” Amber sleepily asked her.

 

Sungmin nodded, “Want me to help?” She offered herself.

 

“No, A. I’m okay with it. It’s going to be fast. You go and sit with the boys.”Sungmin gestured.

 

“Okay, then.” Amber took a seat next to the boys.

 

“I thought you said you want to help.” Henry mock at her, on purpose of course.

 

“I did, and she said okay, idiot.” Amber retorted back and stuck her tongue towards the boy.

 

“Aren’t you supposed to sleep already, brat? It’s late.” Henry teases her, making her angry.

 

“Speak it for yourself, brat.”

 

“You…”

 

“Can you please just shut up for the moment? I’m watching a movie.” Jongjin interrupted.

 

The couple looked at him, frowning which then it turned into a very mischievous smile.

 

“No!” they charged forward and attacked Jongjin.

 

“What! Hey! Let go of me! Stop it!” Amber and Henry joined together and tickled Jongjin.

 

They had another ‘battle’ with each other and laughed.

 

Sungmin can only smile to see it. That was all an act of bonding time with each other. They are childhood friend after all. She continue with her cooking and in just a few minutes later, a pan of pasta and a plate of salad was ready served on the table. Just they are about to take the pasta into their mouth, another voice came and greeted them in the dim light.

 

“What are you guys doing?”

 

Sungjin has just came back home from his work. He was quite astonished to find the youngsters still wide awake and actually eating. The kids laughed in sync.

 

“Wow, pasta!”Dongwoo came from the back, followed with Yunho just right behind him.

 

“What is going on here?” Yunho asked.

 

In the end, they spent the night by eating and talking about each other stories. They even ordered even more snack that night. They talked until morning, and forget about the school coming on the next day. Well, not that they care about it anyway.

 

/////

 

Exactly on the same weekend, it was finally the time for them to say goodbye to Henry and Amber. Decided that Henry is right, Amber didn’t argue about cancelling her previous plans and going back to mainland anymore. She also, didn’t want to make Sungmin worry about herself with the feel she had. Everyone was there, including Kyuhyun, who was dragged by his cousin.

 

Ryeowook’s face has been sullen after the last time she found out about Amber’s feelings. She felt guilty but mostly, she didn’t have any heart to face up with the girl anymore.

 

“Unnie, come here!” Amber suddenly pulled Ryeowook to one corner.

 

“I’ve something for you,” she said as she rummaged her backpack and take out a small paper bag, “Here. This is for you.”

 

She handed the bag with a giddy smile pasted on her face.

 

“What…is this?”

 

“A present.”

 

“Present? But I…”

 

“No buts! I insisted that you accept it.” She determined, pushing the gift lightly to Ryeowook.

 

“But, Amber. I can’t accept this gift so suddenly. Also, I…”

 

“Unnie, it’s okay.” Amber exclaimed, render Ryeowook speechless.

 

Amber gave her a wide smile.

 

“I know by now that you already found out about my feeling to Yeye oppa.”

 

Ryeowook gasped unconsciously by the statement. The guilt once more washed through her especially with the fact that Amber seems so casual saying it.

 

“I’m fine, unnie. I just need some time. I have known for so long that Yeye only sees me as a sister, not more than that. I was a fool to keep hoping for it to be real. I guess love really does make you blind. And…it’s most certainly not your fault at all.” She assured sincerely.

 

Ryeowook’s eyes started to glass. She bit her lower lip to prevent herself from crying there.

 

“I’m…I’m sorry…” she apologized, stammering as she holds the tears from coming out.

 

Amber smiled sadly and slowly embraced the elder.

 

“Unnie, thank you.” She said, slowly detached herself from the hug, “You’re kind, you know.” She stares lovingly at the moist eyes.

 

“Truthfully, I had once thought of hating you when I first heard the news of you being Yeye’s girlfriend. Mingming also talk about you so much ever since she transferred here. I feel jealous I guess.” Her gaze lowered by the lowly thought, “But, everything that I felt, every hatred I had to you vanished when I met you. How could I hate such a lovely and innocent girl? I said to myself. And true, I can’t hate you at all, unnie. Your kindness in loving Yeye, your sincerity in being Mingming’s friend, and…the love that you had for me as a stranger, all of that cleared up all the hatred. More than the hatred, I would say I love you more.” She chuckled brightly after the long explanation.

 

Ryeowook also followed chuckling by the strange logic. Strange but, true at the same time.

 

“So, that’s why…” she holds her hand tight, “Let’s keep in touch, Wookie unnie.”

 

Finally, a smile spread on Ryeowook, she hugged Amber tighter and laughed together.

 

“Yes, let’s keep in touch always. Just tell me if you ever need anything. I promise that I will always be there for you.” She promised and Amber nodded eagerly.

 

Henry and the others by the side just watched as the girls hugged each other. A smile appears on Henry. He felt a tap on his shoulder and turned to see Jongjin by him.

 

“All is well?” the boy asked.

 

He smiles back at him, “Yeah, all is well now.” He agreed.

 

“So…will you be coming back again?” Kyuhyun asked.

 

“Maybe yes or maybe not. It depends.” Henry casually replied.

 

“It’s okay. Just make sure to study hard and take care of yourself.” Yesung advised.

 

Henry chuckled, “I know hyung. I will also gladly take care of Josephine for you.”

 

Yesung laughed slightly by the promise. Without saying much, he exceptionally understands the meaning behind the words so much.

 

“Ah, Ming. I almost forget. Here.” Henry out of blue pull out something from his bag and put it on Sungmin’s hand.

 

Everyone stared.

 

“Candy?” Sungmin responded in puzzle.

 

“Thank you for accepting me and Josephine’s stay in here. Accept it as a sign of gratitude from me. And, just come to mainland whenever you want. I’ll promise to present you with more candies.” He explained grinning widely.

 

Sungmin blinked and break into a laugh after some realization. The others were absolutely confused by the reaction.

 

“Hehehe…thank you so much, Henry. I will hold onto that promise for sure.” Replied Sungmin and they smile meaningfully to each other.

 

“What is it?” Kyuhyun asked out loud.

 

“Nothing Kyukyu. It’s a promise between us. It’s nothing to be concern off.” Sungmin explained.

 

“Really…” Kyuhyun mumbles under his breath, didn’t continue asking for more.

 

Tingtong…

 

The airport’s alarm started to ring, a call for the passengers to get ready.

 

“Josephine, it’s time.” Yesung came and interfered the girls’ talking.

 

“Coming.” Amber responded almost immediately.

 

“Let’s go, unnie.” She holds Ryeowook’s hand walked hand in hand towards the others by the call.

 

After bidding due and hugged everyone, Henry and Amber board on the plane. Amber waves and smiles happily as a memento for them to remember and true they will remember for sure, even though it’s just a short encounter.

 

Right on the plane, Amber settled herself and smile as she look at the group picture that they took before. She really is going to miss everyone.

 

“Hey.”

 

She turned to her side and sees Henry patting on his shoulder a gesture that she clearly understand. Amber laughed inwardly by the concern but she lean on him nonetheless. Henry shifted few times for her comfort which make her smile grew wider.

 

“Just rest. I’ll be here for you.” He professed.

 

Because I will be here for you. Always.

 

A flash of memories went through her suddenly by Henry’s words. She unconsciously looked at Henry which puzzled the boy.

 

“What is it?” Henry questioned, blinking his eyes innocently.

 

Amber stares at him without saying a word.

 

FLASHBACK.

 

Little Amber cried by the slide. Someone bullied her again and took her teddy bear.

 

“Hey, why are you crying?”

 

She turned up to meet up with Henry’s worried expression. She sniffed.

 

“Did those brats bullied you again?” he asked.

 

“Ah, did…did not.” She stammered.

 

Henry’s eyes narrowed by the lied, “They did.” He’s sure.

 

Amber flinched by the tone he used. She snorted.

 

“Wh…what do you care? You also tease me a lot.” She sniffed again, wiping the tears away.

 

Henry didn’t talk back. He frowned.

 

“Where’s your teddy?” he asked, noticing the precious toy was no longer by the girl’s side.

 

“They…they took it…” her lips trembles as she hold the urge of crying, “They said, a boy should not play with teddy bear. But…but…I’m a girl right?” tears flows from her eyes, “Why…why did they say like that. It’s Yeye’s present too…” and she cried again for the ninth time thinking about her situation.

 

Henry stares at her without a word. He turned to look at the other side of the playground where a bunch of other kids playing. He saw Amber’s teddy bear lying by the side. He nodded to himself and decided. Silently, he walked there.

 

“Isskh…Hen…ah…he’s gone.”

 

Amber whispered, devastated. She turned from her crying expect to see the boy but his glimpse already disappear from her side. More tears flowing wetting her cheeks. Her heart crushed, thinking that her only friend is just like the other kids who never care about her. Still in blue, she dragged herself away from there and went home.

 

She really hates everyone at school and even at the neighborhood.  The boys love to because she acted like a boy and the girls didn’t even want to be friend with her. It’s not like she want it to be like that. She’s the only daughter of the family and only had brothers as her siblings. It supposed to be norm in how she lived within her family but her other kids didn’t think it that way. Her only friend since small was Henry but just like the others, the boy also loves to tease with the exception of being nice a bit.

 

Back to the day, Amber changed her clothes and takes a warm bath to clean herself. She’s still sad about losing Yesung’s gift to a bully but there’s nothing she can do. Due to her small built body, she couldn’t even fight back against them.

 

“Josephine, done bathing?” Her mother peeked from the bedroom’s door while she’s combing her hair.

 

She hummed and nodded slightly as the answer.

 

“There’s someone waiting for you.” She informed.

 

“Who?”

 

“Go and check it for yourself. He’s waiting in the living room.” She said again and left.

 

Amber frowned. A bit anxious of the sudden visit, she fastens her pace to the living room. Amber’s eyes wide with disbelief upon the appearance of the said person. There, waiting for her was actually Henry. What makes her so shocked was the fact that Henry was hurt and covered with bruises. Furthermore, he was holding the bear in his hands.

 

“Ah, hey Josephine.” The boy chirped right away just he sees her.

 

He hid the pain from her but Amber could clearly see on how he winced. She walked slowly to where the boy was, still in wide eyes staring. She was sure gawked to see him that way.

 

“Henry?”

 

The boy grinned widely by her call.

 

“Here.” He hands the teddy bear.

 

Amber’s hand blankly reached out for the bear but still fixed looking at him.

 

“With this, you don’t have to cry anymore.” He said more.

 

“Why…” a word finally spoken from her, “Why…are you hurt?”

 

“Ah, this?” he smiled awkwardly, “I fought with those bully to get back your teddy. But, rest assure. I’m perfectly fine. This is nothing for a boy like me.” He faked, “I know how important this bear for you.”

 

Amber stared. She was extremely moved with Henry’s action. Her eyes slowly get teary.

 

“But…I thought…I thought that you hate me…” she assumed.

 

It was Henry’s turn to frown, “Hate? What do you mean? Why would I hate you?” he questioned her back.

 

“Because I…I don’t know…” Amber shuttered, didn’t know what to answer to give.

 

“Idiot.” He remarked, patting Amber’s head gently.

 

Amber’s face turned red slowly by the action. She felt a spark from the touch but she’s unsure of the feelings she feels.

 

“I will always stay by your side. Whether you like it or not, I will always stick to you, Amber Josephine. I’ll be here for you.” He promised with his widest grin.

 

FLASHBACK END.

 

“Hey Josephine.”

 

Amber snapped back into the present seeing him waving his hands in front of her.

 

“What’s wrong? Why are looking at me like that?” asked Henry to her worriedly.

 

Amber blinked and stared at him for the longest time ever.

 

Yes, you’re here. She assured herself.

 

A smile spread on her, “No, it’s nothing.” She responded and lay back on his shoulder.

 

Henry frowned deeply. But since he doesn’t understand anything, he shrugged and lay comfortably. Amber was still smiling hugging his arms. She admitted that she’s dense and maybe a bit idiot in those loves things. But, she’s glad. She has Henry all along.

 

Thank you. She thanked mentally and the journey to mainland continued in silent.

 

 

TBC