Letting go

Voice

 

Chapter 27 – Letting go

 

Previously, Yunho is still telling the story to the kids while waiting for Kyuhyun and Sungmin to come home.

 

“Things started to change after that. It first changes in how her friends treated her then, the whole school started to spread bad rumors about her family just because she is from the yakuza family. Even so, Sungmin didn’t want to change school. She said it was already too late to make any changes now, since it will not make any difference. And yet, we knew that it will hurt her sooner or later. Sungmin was few times being caught or saved by our men in a fight with some of her school mates or when she was being bullied. And every time it happened, our men will get the punishment.”

 

“Punishment? But, they are only protecting Sungmin, right?” Donghae argues to what Yunho said.

 

“True. But to fight a minor is absolutely against the clan’s principle. They should think twice before they do anything. and Sungjin, being the leader, is really strict in that matter. Sungmin blames herself for the men’s punishment. She begs Sungjin to not punish any of them anymore because it hurts her feelings. She even promises us that she will avoid any fight as long as there’s no one to put to blame on.”

 

“It still didn’t change much, right hyung?”

 

Yunho stops and thinks. He slowly shakes his head, saying no.

 

“Well, we thought that it will subside. Then, one day we received a call from the school. Sungmin and one of her friend were rushed to the hospital.” Sungmin’s friends gasped of shock when they heard the word hospital.

 

“That was the time when Sungmin’s mute incident starts.”

 

~~

 

“I call Yuriko and the others to the school hall to make an end to everything. I know that they hate me. Still, I can’t just let her and her friends to continue making fun of my family. They are not at fault. I am proud to be a Yakuza and came from the Lee clan because I know that is who I am really are. But, that day, I didn’t know that the fate has something else written for me.”

 

“Yuriko did something to you?”

 

Sungmin stays silent.

 

“Kyukyu…let’s stop there for a while, can we?” Sungmin requested suddenly.

 

Kyuhyun is confused but he obeys. They stop by the road with a very beautiful hill view. The lamps from the houses down the hill shining through the dark night, making it extra beautiful in the eyes of the viewers. Both Kyuhyun and Sungmin look at the scenery, enjoying it in silent. In truth, Kyuhyun is actually waiting for Sungmin to continue again with her story just now. He knows that it must been hurt for her to reminisce the bad memories again. So, he waits. And after a few more silent, Sungmin starts talking again.

 

“At first, we were just talking or…is it bickering? I don’t quite remember anymore. But, everything starts to lose control when one of them pushes me. I tried to defend myself but I lose balance instead. At that time, the school hall was preparing for some play that uses lots of props here and there. I fall. And someone was there too, who was trying to save me, fall together with onto one big piece of glass.”

 

“Glass?”

 

“I heard the girls screamed. I saw blood in front of me, and feel some pain but I couldn’t say anything. Then, everything turns into black. I didn’t remember anything that happened after that. And, when I wake up, my voice…it stuck.” Sungmin holds her chest, holding the pain that he used to have once before.

 

“What? What has actually happened, Sungmin?” Kyuhyun worriedly asked.

 

Sungmin turns to him with a bitter smile. Her eyes start to get teary by the story. She moves her right hand slowly until it reaches her neck. Kyuhyun watches it very closely and his eyes widened once Sungmin pushes the hair away.

 

“There’s a scar, right?” Sungmin replies to Kyuhyun’s stare.

 

“The doctor said when I fall, another glass next to it also fall onto me and shattered into pieces. My body was not that badly hurt but especially here.” She touches the nape where the scar located at, “Because of that, I couldn’t speak for days. And because of that also, I used it as an excuse to hide my true feeling from Jin-chan.”

 

“It must have hurt you so much right?”

 

“Em…maybe.”

 

“You said just now, you fall with someone else? Who is it? Yuriko?”

 

Sungmin denies Kyuhyun’s guess by shaking her head to left and right, “It’s Kotarou.”

 

“He’s there?”

 

“Em. By the nick of time, he grabbed me and fall together. He protected me from the glass and hurt himself even more than I am. If I was asleep for a day, it takes 3 days for him to wake up from the unconscious. Yuriko blames me more.” Sungmin closes her eyes.

 

It was all your fault!

 

Yuriko’s stabbing words still makes her feel guilty every time she remembers it. She purposely looks up to the sky to stop from the tears from falling.

 

“Kotarou was the school national basketball’s representative. Because of the incident, he couldn’t play basketball anymore. He losses the school scholarship, losses the chance to play again and almost loses his life too.” Sungmin closes her eyes slowly, blaming herself on that part.

 

“If only I didn’t chose to call for them. If only I just stay silent whenever they’re insulting me none of it will happen. And If only I was given the chance to change the past once again, I really didn’t want to hurt him. It’s better just me losing my voice rather than him losing his chance to live his life again.”

 

Kyuhyun whom has been just listening went forward and embraced her.

 

“It’s not your fault.” He comforts her.

 

Sungmin stood still. And slowly, she hugs Kyuhyun back, and let the tears fall from her eyes.

 

~~

 

“To make things worse, Kotarou is the son of our clan’s rival. So, because of that incident also, the fight between the rival get intense. Each of the clan blames on each side and fight is the only thing that we always do. Because of that, it has become more dangerous for Sungmin to continue living with us in Japan.” Yunho sighs after the long story.

 

“And, when Sungmin’s mama found out about her injury, she was really furious. She forcefully took Sungmin away from us to live with her in China. She wants to protect her, I guess. It was for the best. Even we didn’t want Sungmin to get involved in the fight that we are into. She is not at fault with everything that has happened. So, for the next few months, we just let Sungmin stays with her mama.”

 

“Then, how come Sungmin lives with Sungjin oppa now if she already went together with her mama?” Ryeowook utters her curiosity.

 

“They loved each other too much, Ryeowook-ssi.” Yunho replies to her.

 

“Eh?”

 

“Sungjin and Sungmin hold a very special relationship just between the two of them. Yes, he is her uncle but at the same time, Sungjin is more than that for her. He is her only family that has lived longer with her that was left and understands the difficulty of being the child from the Yakuza family. He is also the first person who found Sungmin first when her parents died. Her mama couldn’t do anything when Sungmin begs her to go back home to Japan with Sungjin. That is how Sungmin ended up together with him till today.”

 

The others nod their head approvingly. They can see how close Sungmin is with Sungjin.

 

“And, just like how it is turns out now, Sungmin lives with Sungjin in Korea. Her mama is in China and me and Dongwoo takes care of things here in Japan. It was a good thing though that Sungmin staying there. There’s not much people knew about her true identity. She can walk around safely. And most recent and importantly, she got all of you as her friends now.” He said proudly, patting both the girl’s head affectionately.

 

Donghae and Ryeowook laughs happily by that compliment. Yesung and Eunhyuk beside them just smile. In their heart, they made a promise that they will always protect Sungmin. They will make Sungmin feels happy just to be with them.

 

“Okay, enough with the story.” Yunho said, clapping his hand and standing up from his seat.

 

“Let’s welcome those two home with a bright smile, shall we?”

 

“Yes, sir!” the four of them said in sync.

 

~~

 

“EHEM!”

 

Kyuhyun and Sungmin abruptly let go of the hug upon hearing the sound of someone coughing. They turned to the voice in a flash and eyes widened in horror.

 

“Woo-kun?!”

 

Yes, it is Dongwoo. He is walking from somewhere and accidentally sees a couple hugging. He wants to ignore them at first when he saw, the same Kimono that his loved one wore. He watched the hugging couple closely and the light from the lamp post shines on Kyuhyun, showing his face. His mouth hangs open when he sees that. And at the same time he realizes, he shouldn’t let that continue for so long. 

 

That is why he fakes a cough and surprised the couple. And it is also how, he ends up standing in front of the couple, crossing his arms on the chest, trying his best to look angry as ever.

 

“You should be thankful that it was me who first found you.” He comments.

 

“We didn’t do anything!” Kyuhyun and Sungmin fast denied.

 

Dongwoo sighs, “Well, if Sungjin or Yunho who saw that just now, I don’t think you will be given any chance to speak.”

 

The couple fell into a deep silent. They look at each other by the corner of the eyes, shy and embarrassed at the same time. Their cheeks are already tinted with red in colour.

 

“Anyway,” he smiles mischievously, “You gotta treat me to something to close this mouth.”

 

“I guess I have too.” Sungmin chuckles shyly and Kyuhyun agrees by the side.

 

After that, it was Dongwoo who holds Sungmin on his back towards the remaining journey to their home. They made a promised with each other that what happened will remains only within them especially the hugging part. Both Kyuhyun and Sungmin really didn’t want Sungjin to know about it.

 

Upon reaching the house, they were greeted happily by their friends. They create new memories by playing fireworks together. Sungmin really has smiles a lot and their relationship really has grown into something even better. Furthermore, her friends had gain Sungjin’s trust, the most important person in Sungmin’s life. Sungjin knew that Sungmin will no longer feel the same pain anymore as long as they are with her. The three uncles watch the kids laughing and happily playing by the side. Tomorrow, they know there will be a new day and new memoirs to create.

 

 

 

TBC

 

 

author note....

MIANHAE….(づ-̩̩̩-̩̩̩_-̩̩̩-̩̩̩)づ *bows apologetically* I know it’s been really long since I last update this story…and there’s still a lot to finish yet. Anyhow, their holiday is almost end and new school session will starts. There will be new characters next…hopefully I have the idea to write faster kkkk..

Thanks in advance for the readers and also new subscribers, THANK YOU!! (((o(*゚▽゚*)o)))