Summer festival

Voice

 

 

 

Chapter 25

 

Late that afternoon, Sungmin invites them to go to the summer festival at the nearest shrine. Sungmin is now helping Donghae and Ryeowook to wear a kimono, a present from her to her friends.

 

“Minnie, is it true that we do not wear any underwear underneath the kimono?” Donghae ask, while looking at her reflection through the big-sized mirror.

 

She’s still amazed by the beauty of the Kimono which is a first for her.

 

Sungmin laughs to hear that question, “No, Haehae. We still keep our lingerie on. It’s just a stupid bluff by saying that.” she explains carefully.

 

“You looks like so professional at this, Minnie?” Ryeowook compliments her, while Sungmin is fixing the kimono on her.

 

“I have to learn how to wear one kimono ever since I was a kid. You know, it’s a must for one yakuza child to lean Japanese culture and wearing Kimono is one of it.” Sungmin explains.

 

“Oooo…” they said in sync, understand.

 

 “You’re done, Wookie.” She said as she gives the last touch on Ryeowook’s Kimono.

 

“Arigatou, Minnie.” Ryeowook happily thanks Sungmin, with the new Japanese word that she learnt.

 

“Come over here, Haehae. Let me do your hair.” Sungmin instructed, patting the chair next to her.

 

“Okay.” Donghae answers and skips happily towards her.

 

They continue getting ready while chatting about random things. Both Ryeowook and Donghae are amazed by Sungmin skillful hand and knowledge about the Japanese culture. They are indeed lucky to have Sungmin. Furthermore, ever since they reconcile back with Sungmin, they’re getting lots of presents and surprises from Sungmin’s family. Some of it is unexpected but most of it creates even more memories between them. While the girls getting ready, the guys are waiting for them downstairs.

 

“You’re not coming with us, Sungjin hyung?” Yesung ask, seeing that Sungjin and the other two are nowhere ready to go out anywhere.

 

“No, I’m staying.”

 

“The others too?”

 

“Yup. We decide to get some rest. There’s still work to do tomorrow.” He replies.

 

“Okay then.”

 

“The girls haven’t come down yet?” Kyuhyun asks.

 

“They will. Sungmin said that they are getting ready.” Yesung answers to his question.

 

“Okay, then. We just have to wait.” He replies.

 

Eunhyuk comes afterwards. Because the girls are still preparing, they wait patiently by the stairs. Eunhyuk notices a beautiful bouquet of flowers in a vase. He feels weird because he didn’t see the flowers before.

 

“Hey Kyuhyun, where does this flowers come from? I didn’t see it before we went to the beach.” He asks Kyuhyun since he is the one of them that went home once.

 

“Oh, that. Sungmin got it from someone.” Kyuhyun replies casually.

 

“Someone?”

 

Sungmin’s three uncles’ ears perk by the conversation.

 

“It’s a stranger actually. There’s a guy I saw talking to Sungmin when I came to the house this afternoon. She said he’s the one that gave her the flowers.”

 

“A man?!” those three shouts in sync and completely shock the others.

 

They charges to Kyuhyun and starts booming him with questions.

 

“Who is that man?”

 

“How does he look like?”

 

“Did you hear what are they talking about?”

 

“Ah…errr…”

 

“Did she say anything about that man?”

 

“What else did he gave Sungmin?!”

 

“Why didn’t you tell us about this earlier?!” they screamed altogether, shocks Kyuhyun to the brim.

 

Even the others already back away from those three uncles by that sudden action.

 

“Jin-chan?” they stop abruptly upon hearing the voice, Sungmin’s voice.

 

“What’s wrong?” Sungmin asks worriedly as she and the other two girls appear together.

 

“Oh no, it’s nothing. We’re just talking, right?” Sungjin sling his hand on Kyuhyun’s shoulder and gives him a stare to just follow his sign.

 

“Ah…ah…yes, we’re just talking.” Kyuhyun stutters.

 

He is in shock with Sungjin’s weird reaction. But, when he turns to look upstairs, he is once more mesmerized by the beauty of Sungmin wearing the Japanese traditional clothes, Kimono. The other two boyfriends are also in the same state, seeing their beautiful girlfriend on top of the stairs. The girls walk down gracefully and stop in front of the boys.

 

“How do I look baby?”

 

“Beautiful as usual, honey.” Eunhyuk compliments with a kiss on his girlfriend’s cheek.

 

Donghae just chuckles away by the cheesiness from her boyfriend. Yesung and Ryeowook are also happy in their own world which is left Kyuhyun alone to handle Sungmin’s uncles.

 

“Are you sure everything is okay Jin-chan?” Sungmin asks again, to her uncles.

 

“Yes, we’re fine Hime. Don’t worry so much.” Yunho answers instead of Sungjin.

 

Sungmin stares into those three eyes, tries to look for some truth and somehow, she couldn’t sense any lie in it.

 

“Okay, if you say so.” She said.

 

“Let’s get going then. The festival has already started.” Yesung informed.

 

“Yes, oppa!” the girls reply on the same time, and together they walks to the door.

 

But, just before Kyuhyun walks away, someone pulls him to stop him. And it is none other than Sungjin himself.

 

“Tell me what has happened this afternoon. Who is that guy?” he turns back to the earlier question, looking so serious.

 

“I…I don’t know. That guy left just before I reached them.”

 

“Are you telling us the truth, Kyuhyun?”

 

“Yes! I am. I really didn’t see that guy anywhere before. He looks like a normal delivery man, I guess.”

 

“Delivery man? Did you hear they’re talking? Are they speaking in Japanese?”

 

Kyuhyun nods, “I hear a few words said in Japanese. And that’s all. That guy left immediately when I came. I really didn’t know anything after that.” Kyuhyun explains more.

 

Those three continue on staring him. Kyuhyun shrink by that intense stare. He just didn’t know what kind of answer or reaction to give by that sudden topic.

 

“It’s fine. You can go.” Sungjin is first to break the deep stare, “Sungmin is waiting for you.” He pushes Kyuhyun slowly.

 

The still confuse Kyuhyun leaves right away without turning back. He is scare that he might get hurt again by Sungmin’s uncles if he stays long. They are Yakuza after all. After Kyuhyun disappear from the door, the room getting intense so sudden. Those three men stare into each other.

 

“Is it him?” Dongwoo speaks out.

 

“I don’t know. And I really don’t want to know.” Sungjin answers him, frown has starts appearing on his face, “Let’s just investigate this matter first. Dongwoo, don’t do anything unless I told you so.”

 

“But, what if…”

 

“It is just an ‘if’, Dongwoo.” Yunho cuts him before he finishes, “Until we make sure, no one should do anything. Not under my order.” He demands, very serious in his talk.

 

“Yunho is right.” Sungjin adds, agreeing.

 

Dongwoo sighs heavily, “Fine. I’ll stay silent.” He huffed.

 

Even though they agree with just that, in truth, they all are actually contemplating something inside their head. They turn to look at the flowers beautifully set inside a vase on the table. In their head they keep thinking of the flowers and the meaning behind it. It’s white lilies, and for them, it is not a normal greeting. Not normal at all.

 

~~

 

Back to Kyuhyun and the others. They all are walking happily towards the festival. All can’t wait to get their chance to spend the money given by Sungjin just now. When they arrived, Yesung being the guide starts explaining everything to the Korean friends. Sungmin didn’t speak much but they are could completely understand that Sungmin is still just isn’t ready. During the half time, Donghae and Ryeowook pulled their boyfriends away and left the KyuMin couple alone. It is a very awkward situation at first between them and both of them trying to hide from each other’s presence. No matter what, one of them has to speak to ease the intense.

 

“Kyukyu…” Sungmin calls softly but Kyuhyun’s sharp ear could hear it clearly.

 

“What is it?”

 

“Let’s get some blessing, ne? There.” She pointed to the shrine, where people start crowding around.

 

“Blessing?” Sungmin nodding her head few times, hoping Kyuhyun to agree.

 

“Well, sure. Let’s go.”

 

They walk together, entering the crowd and lineup.

 

“You always come here, Minnie?” Kyuhyun starts a conversation.

 

“Sometimes. My Ojii-chan brings me here whenever he had the time. Though he is very busy like Jin-chan.”

 

“He must be really precious to you right?”

 

“So much.” She smiles proudly, “Everyone really respect Ojii-chan. Jin-chan said he’s very powerful during his reign.”

 

“Powerful? In what kind?”

 

“Let’s see…” Sungmin’s lips pouting while thinking which makes Kyuhyun scream inside by the cuteness, “I don’t really know whether it is the truth or not but, Jin-chan once told me that Ojii-chan used to fight 100 people at the same time and he wins.”

 

“100?! Are you serious?”

 

“It’s a legend. But, even by the first impression, Ojii-chan is already quite a scary. That’s why everyone tends to not talk back to him, ever.” Sungmin shivers when she remembered that one time when his grandfather was angry.

 

“What about the family?”

 

“The family?”

 

“It can’t be that he’s scary to you too, right? The only grandchild of his.”

 

Sungmin looks at him and she smiles, “Yup. I guess you’re right on that part. He is the least scary to me and Obaachan. People said we make his heart melt with just a smile.”

 

“Everyone will melt to see your smile, Minnie.” Kyuhyun compliments sincerely.

 

Sungmin’s face flushed a little by that remark. She hides her embarrass face by hiding herself more to the thick clothes. Kyuhyun is oblivious with that, but what he feels at that moment is really just happiness. In no time, they both reach in front of the shrine. Kyuhyun and Sungmin take turn to ring the bell. They clap two times, clasped their hand together, and pray with their eyes closed. Each open their eyes and turn to look at each other.

 

“What do you wish for?”

 

“Everyone’s happiness.” Sungmin answer short.

 

“Lame…” Kyuhyun teased, laughs at her after that.

 

Sungmin pouts, “What do you want me to wish for then?”

 

“I don’t know. A boyfriend maybe.” He suggest, smirking.

 

“Hmph…Jin-chan will kill that ‘boyfriend’ first if I have one at this age.”

 

Kill? For real? Oh my, I really need to pay attention then. Kyuhyun reminds himself mentally.

 

“How about you, Kyu?” Sungmin asks him back the question.

 

Kyuhyun smirks, “Secret.”

 

“Kyukyu!”

 

“Hahahaha….” Kyuhyun laughs to see Sungmin huffing in anger with his tease, “Sorry Minnie bunny,” he pats Sungmin’s head like a child.

 

“There’s nothing special about my wish too. I just hope that everything will turn okay with my life.” He reasons.

 

“Really?”

 

“Yes, it’s real. Now, let’s go. Other people are waiting.” Kyuhyun gives her a hand and Sungmin gladly accepts it with a smile, “Where do you want to go next?” he asks

 

They are still holding hand with each other even after they left together and both didn’t seem to bother at all with it. what’s more, Sungmin feels more protected with the warmth from Kyuhyun’s hand.

 

“Don’t know.” Sungmin replies to him.

 

“Konbawa.” A girl greets them suddenly.

 

They stop walking and the girl continue talking while handling them a piece of paper, “Do you want to try for a fortune telling?” she said in Japanese.

 

“Yes?” Kyuhyun stares at her, puzzled.

 

It’s famous among the couple nowadays.” Sungmin’s face blushes to hear that word ‘couple’ whereas Kyuhyun just looks at them confusedly.

 

Have a try. It will be fun.” The girl left after that when Sungmin takes the paper from her.

 

“What does she said, Sungmin?” Kyuhyun asks, he notices how Sungmin’s pale skin turns pink by what the girl said which he didn’t understand a bit about it.

 

“Oh…it’s a fortune telling. She invites us to try one.”

 

Kyuhyun’s lips forming an ‘o’, “It’s really famous in here, right? Fortune telling.” He comments.

 

“Somehow,” Sungmin nods, “Yes I guess.”

 

“Let’s try then.” Kyuhyun pulls Sungmin to where that girl headed just now, smiling with an ill intention inside his mind.

 

He actually wants to know what kind of fortune that he will got. It’s not that he believes in those things, but he just want to have a reason to do something with Sungmin. He prays for a good luck, because he really needs it especially whenever he had to deal with Sungmin’s uncles. And yet, his pray is not like what he predicted at all. What he gets is actually the exact opposite of it.

 

“Bad luck?” His hands shivers because of anger, “Why did I get bad luck?! It’s so not fair!” he yelled, frustrated.

 

Sungmin laughs at his action. It’s funny to see Kyuhyun so frustrated over just a fortune telling, a new side of Kyuhyun that she gets to see.

 

“It’s just a fortune, Kyukyu. Don’t need to be so devastated.” Sungmin said, comforting him.

 

Kyuhyun turns to look at him with a disappointed look.

 

“It’s bad luck, Minnie.” He said again, faking a depressed face, “Bad luck.” He stressed the word while showing the fortune paper to her.

 

Sungmin just giggles.

 

“And, it’s just a fortune. You can’t ever be sure that it’s real or not.”

 

Kyuhyun sighs, “Maybe you’re right. What did you get?” he asks Sungmin.

 

Sungmin hesitantly shows him her paper.

 

“Great luck?!” Kyuhyun reads what’s written on the paper, “Why?!” and it makes him even more frustrated.

 

Sungmin laughs again, “You’re really funny Kyukyu. I told you, it’s just a fortune, right?”

 

“I know. It just…” he whines, and sighing.

 

“You are actually very lucky, Kyukyu.”

 

“And why is that?” Kyuhyun frowns by that statement.

 

“Because to get a bad luck is really something that no one could easily get. So, you are considers to be very lucky.” Sungmin console him, smiling towards him with the sweetest smile ever.

 

“Really?” Sungmin nods her head frantically, to ensure him.

 

“Let’s play games next, okay?” Sungmin invites, looking super cute in Kyuhyun’s eyes.

 

Kyuhyun smiles happily. He turns to look at the fortune paper once more and notices something special on the love section.

 

The one you are with now is your destiny.

 

He inwardly smiles again. She is my ultimate destiny. He said to himself mentally and follows Sungmin to find a stall to play games.

 

Their awkwardness disappears in that one moment and they casually getting comfortable with each other. They play games together and take few pictures of memory. They have forgotten about their friends already. Then, at one time while they are strolling around the festival more, Sungmin notices there are two 5-year old kids looking so restless holding each other hand. Sungmin tells Kyuhyun about it and they approach the kids together.

 

Hey, konbawa.” Sungmin greets them.

 

They quickly turn to look at the couple.

 

Doue?” Sungmin asks them.

 

Slowly, and gradually their lower lips tremble.

 

“Mama!!” they scream out loud as tears flowing from their eyes and starts crying.

 

Kyuhyun and Sungmin are in deep panic state with those so sudden cries. Every eyes are watching them in surprise.

 

“Sungmin! What should we do now?!”

 

“I don’t know!”

 

“Mama!!” they continue on wailing.

 

To their utter surprise, the kids didn’t stop crying at all. They carry the children in each arm and find an isolated place to avoid from the crowd. They are still crying and Sungmin tried her best to comfort them since it’s only her that could understand Japanese. It turns out that the children are actually a twin and were separated from their parents. When Sungmin greeted them before, they are in truth on the verge of tears already. That’s why they start crying almost immediately after that.

 

Kyuhyun in the end used the last option that he could figure out to stop the tears. It is none other than by treating a.k.a bribing them with ice-cream, using his own pocket money. It is worthy though because the kids stop crying soon after that.

 

Then, he and Sungmin together try to think a way to look for the twin’s parents inside the sea of people. Luckily, the kids are actually wearing a lost kid necklace. There, are written their parents contact number. Sungmin calls the number and they promised to meet with each other in front of the shrine gate.

 

Oiishi?” the twin nods their head in sync, while eating the ice cream happily.

 

Yokatta.” Sungmin pats their head lovingly.

 

Kyuhyun is there by her side, watching Sungmin interaction all along. He feels touch by how gentle Sungmin treats the twin even though they are a total stranger. It is a good thing that they found the kids, because he got the chance to see Sungmin’s motherly side. After more minutes of waiting, a couple comes towards them running. The twin hugs their parents tight, so happy that they are re-united once more. They thanks Sungmin and Kyuhyun repeatedly, very grateful that the twin are safe and sound.

 

“They’re so cute, right?” Kyuhyun nods his head, agreeing by that comment said by Sungmin when the family has left their sight.

 

“Ah, Kyukyu! Their bag! They left it!” Sungmin exclaimed suddenly when she saw the bags lying on the floor.

 

“I’ll catch them.” Kyuhyun takes the bag from Sungmin, “And, you just stay here.” He orders.

 

“But…”

 

“It’s faster with just me, Minnie.” Kyuhyun retorted, and he dashes away from there without waiting for Sungmin’s answer.

 

Sungmin pouted cutely. She smiles after that. She knew that Kyuhyun is just worry about her.

 

~~

 

Arigatou gozaimasu.” The couple thanked Kyuhyun.

 

Kyuhyun just nods his head a bit and excused himself. He went back to Sungmin with a smile on his face to be able to make a good deed for the day. He just hopes that his y image at the beach will be forgotten with that.

 

But, something unexpected happened when Kyuhyun arrives there. Sungmin is nowhere to be found at the place where he left the girl. His eyes scan around the venue and quickly search for her, wasting no more time. He found Sungmin, but not in a very good condition, at all. Sungmin is surrounded by a group of people, and she is sitting on the floor, looking hurt.

 

 “Why aren’t you saying anything, idiot?! Got a cat on your tongue?!” Sungmin is surrounding by a group of people while she is almost on the verge of tears on the ground.

 

You are mute, after all.” Another girl remarked, hurts Sungmin’s heart.

 

Some of them evilly laugh at Sungmin. They didn’t even consider how hurt it is to Sungmin.

 

“Sungmin!” Kyuhyun called, and runs towards her almost instantly.

 

Sungmin is surprised but feels relieved at the same time seeing Kyuhyun running towards her. Kyuhyun ignores the people and crouching down to look at Sungmin’s condition.

 

“Are you okay?” he asks, and Sungmin nods faintly.

 

He helps Sungmin by lifting her in his arms in bridal style. Sungmin was stunned by that action a bit but still she clings on Kyuhyun just like her life is depending on him. Kyuhyun stands in front, protecting her while piercing his death stares to the group.

 

“Who the hell are you?” he asks, in full English because he really didn’t know Japanese.

 

Anata ga dare?! This is none of your business!” one of the es asks him back.

 

“What? Sorry es.” Kyuhyun retorted, “I really don’t understand you. And I don’t even want to understand anything.”

 

Anta!

 

“Leave Sungmin alone. I will not hesitate to kill you if I ever see your face again.” he threatened, looking very angry and evil.

 

Some of the girls unconsciously backed away seeing that face. Kyuhyun turns away from them and starts walking from there. Just a few steps away from them, Kyuhyun heard someone’s voice calling.

 

Matte!

 

A boy from the group that attack Sungmin just now, called. He runs towards them while holding something in his hand.

 

“I’m sorry about my girlfriend.” He apologizes to Kyuhyun, in English.

 

Kyuhyun frowns at him, “What do you want?” he goes straight to the point.

 

“I’m just…” the boy looks at Sungmin in Kyuhyun’s arm sadly, “Min-chan, gomena. Hontou ni gomena.” He apologizes again looking very sad.

 

Sungmin didn’t say a word, but she buries her face more on Kyuhyun’s chest. It’s a signal for Kyuhyun that Sungmin didn’t want to be in that situation anymore.

 

“This belongs to her.” The boy hands in a purse, he notices signal by Sungmin to Kyuhyun towards him, “I’m sorry again. Please take her home safe.” The boy told Kyuhyun.

 

“Thanks.” Kyuhyun takes the purse, still didn’t stop from glaring at that boy at all.

 

The boy takes a last glance at Sungmin. He bows a little and left. Kyuhyun heave a deep sighs.

 

“Let’s go.” He walks away with Sungmin in his arms, to a place with less of people.

 

~~

 

Kyuhyun puts some ice on Sungmin’s swelling foot. Sungmin hasn’t spoken a word after he save her. He feels worry and wants to ask lots of things to her, but he decided to give her some time first. He knew that Sungmin was still in a shocking state.

 

“Can I borrow your phone?” Kyuhyun requested.

 

Sungmin nods slowly. She takes her phone and gives it to Kyuhyun. Kyuhyun starts searching for Eunhyuk’s name and he calls him immediately.

 

“Yah, where are you?” he asks, so irritated with his friends.

 

“Just somewhere. Are you having fun with just Sungmin…Kyuhyun? Hahahaha…” Eunhyuk teases, and Kyuhyun could clearly hear the others’ laugh behind.

 

“Yeah right. So much with fun.” He mocked, “I’m going home with Sungmin. Let’s just meet at home, whenever you are right now.”

 

“Okay Kyu~~ have fun.” He hangs up the call after the information.

 

Kyuhyun looks at Sungmin once more. She’s still feeling down and didn’t show much changes.

 

“Hey, Sungminie.” He calls soft and gentle, “I don’t want to hurt your feeling or whatsoever like that. But, I really think we need to go home.”

 

Sungmin looks at him. Her eyes glassed with some tears which she tried to hold on. She nods slowly to Kyuhyun as the only answer. Kyuhyun smiles weakly. He crouches down back-facing Sungmin. Sungmin confusedly stares at his action.

 

“Get on.” He orders.

 

“Kyu?”

 

“You can’t walk like that to go home, you know.”

 

“But…”

 

“It’s okay.” Kyuhyun assures her, “Now, let’s go.”

 

Sungmin hesitated, but she gradually climbs on Kyuhyun’s back. Kyuhyun stands up carefully, and starts walking right away with Sungmin hang onto him. Along the journey, he keeps on thinking what kind of reason should he gives to Sungmin’s uncle after this.

 

TBC

 

 

 

 

Another update from me…I can’t believe I actually get to write more than 3,000 words this time…XD but, I really think I need to study more on how to write more Kyumin moment…I never have a boyfriend after all…T_T what else to go for a date, so forgive me if it is tooooo normal, i have tried my best!…hehehe but at least there is Kyumin moment more here..hehehehe…

As usual comments are highly appreciated!! And thank you in advance!!!