Sungmin's past

Voice

 

Sungmin slowly adjusted herself in the new school and her new environment. She even has two best friends which are actually best friend to each other.

 

“You know sign language, Wookie? That’s a pleasant surprise. I didn’t know that.”

 

“Of course you didn’t know. You are so…busy with your dance club that you forgot everything about me.” Ryeowook said mockingly, obviously having a grudge against the dance club.

 

Donghae eyes rolled by the comment from her best friend, somehow she understands why Ryeowook said something like that, “Wookie, I know you’re still mad at me but aren’t it far enough. I am not fit at singing, remember?”

 

“Tsk, liar. You just don’t love me at all.” Ryeowook retorted her back and Donghae could only sigh by her friend behavior whereas Sungmin who has been watching could only chuckle, amused by the friendship of those two.

 

“Min! You’re laughing at me right? Are you going to leave me like her too?” Ryeowook faked a tear.

 

Donghae scoffed, really tired to handle her. Meanwhile Sungmin calmly explain something using her sign language which was only understands by Ryeowook and leaving Donghae gaped.

 

“Hee…I know you’ll be my best friend forever. Thank you!” Ryeowook dashed forward and hugged Sungmin.

 

“Err…Wookie? Translate please?” Donghae requested, and the two girls smiling at each other before Ryeowook answer her.

 

The three of them become best friend in no time. But, Donghae still isn’t satisfied with the fact that she couldn’t understand sign language like Ryeowook did. To celebrate for their friendship, Donghae even have the heart to ditch her boyfriend for the day only to have a girls’ day with her new best friend.

 

“Are you sure Hyukkie is okay with you spending your lunch time with us? I thought that he’s overprotective.” Ryeowook questioned, sounded concerned.

 

“Nah…he’s fine. I guess. Well, we’ll see each other again later anyway. I control him, remember?” Donghae smirked by her own comment.

 

‘Wookie, can I know how did you two become friend? You seem…different.’ Sungmin asked.

 

“What she says?” Donghae turned to Ryeowook for the translation, “She asked why we’re friend since we’re seems different?” Ryeowook answered.

 

“Well, Min…we are not just seems different but we’re really different. I am majoring in dancing while this little friend of mine here is majoring in singing.”

 

“Yah, it hurts!” Ryeowook said, annoyed when her cheeks were pinched by Donghae.

 

“If you want to ask, I force her to join me in the music club but she refuse because she LOVES her boyfriend so much to ditch me.”

 

“Wookie, I already sent my cousin for you!”

 

“Your good-for-nothing cousin done nothing for me but tease me!” they have another argument again and Sungmin smile looking at them.

 

She knew, they love each other so much and that is why they could fight like that.

 

‘So, is this mean, Wookie is not the only person that is in the club?’

 

“Apparently speaking I am not. But, he has never comes to the club ever since the day he became a member.” She complained, pouted a little.

 

“You have to admit my cousin is like that, Wookie. He is my boyfriend’s best friend after all.” Donghae said, followed by a nod from Ryeowook, agreeing with what she’s saying.

 

Who is this Donghae’s cousin anyway?

 

A question popped inside Sungmin’s head. She was about to ask the question without realizing someone was now walking towards them.

 

“Hae baby!”

 

“Ahhh!” an arm came circled around Donghae suddenly and she shrieked loudly because of too surprise.

 

 “Hyukkie!!” she yelled, obviously didn’t like the treatment, “I told you to never surprise me like that!” she scolded her boyfriend that only smiles innocently.

 

“Sorry, dear…I forgot.” Eunhyuk apologized with a peck on Donghae’s cheek, which make Donghae blushed immediately, “Hyukkie…”

 

“Yah, we’re still present here.” The couple turned to see Ryeowook frowned holding her anger with Sungmin’s face red with embarrassment with Eunhyuk bold action.

 

“Ah, you’re Sungmin right? The new girl?” and Sungmin nodded hesitantly, “I’m Lee Hyukjae but everyone calls me Eunhyuk. I’m Donghae’s boyfriend.” Sungmin shook hand with Eunhyuk and smiled.

 

“So, it’s true then?” Eunhyuk looked at her closely, “You really can’t speak?”

 

“Hyukkie!!”

 

“What? Is it wrong to ask?” he looked at the angry girls.

 

“Sorry about this brat behavior, Minnie.”

 

‘I’m fine, don’t worry, Hae.’ Sungmin tried to explain but Ryeowook was the one to translate after all, “She says she’s fine.”

 

“Argh! I’m so frustrated! You have to teach me sign language, Wookie.” Donghae ordered, “Yeah, yeah, I’ll teach you.”

 

“Anyway, Hyukkie dear, where’s your best friend?” Eunhyuk shrugged his shoulder, “He said he has something to do with someone.”

 

“Who?” the two girls asked, confused by the statement, but Eunhyuk just smiled sheepishly.

 

Kyuhyun was standing at the hallway, Eunhyuk was right when he said Kyuhyun has something to do. He was actually waiting for someone he wants to meet and need explanation from. Minutes passed and his patience has grown thinner but the said man was still nowhere to be seen.

 

“Kyuhyun.” He turned to the voice frowning, “Sorry, I’m late. The meeting was longer today.” The man turned out to be Yesung.

 

“Whatever, hyung. Now, tell me what I want to know.” He demanded, angry.

 

Yesung sighed, “I’m not sure what am I going to tell you is the same thing that you want me to tell, but I’ll try.” And Kyuhyun waited.

 

“Yes, I know Sungmin. And yes, she is the same girl that you knew long time ago.” Kyuhyun was still calm as Yesung started his story.

 

“I’m not sure whether you still remember or not, but at the age of 6 Sungmin left the school, and…”

 

“I know that.”

 

“Just let me finish, Kyuhyun.” Yesung demanded and Kyuhyun scoffed, “There’s a reason why she left and that reason has left a deep scar inside her.”

 

“What happened?” Kyuhyun could feel butterfly in his stomach.

 

“Her parents were killed.” Kyuhyun’s eyes widened by the news.

 

“Killed? What do you mean hyung?” Kyuhyun asked still couldn’t believe what he just heard.

 

“No one actually sure how it happened. But one thing for sure, Sungmin saw everything. She was traumatized. She refused to talk to anyone and by the time she recovers, she has stopped talking to everyone else. Her grandparents took her to Japan to live with them, but then they also passed away just a few years back. It leaves her to more heartbreak.” Yesung explained long.

 

“But, there’s still something else.” He added.

 

“What?”

 

“Sungmin didn’t know about her parents’ death. It’s more to like she didn’t even remember about her parents’ death. She only knows that her parents died in an accident.” Yesung said.

 

“Then, she’s okay now?” Kyuhyun asked, making sure.

 

“Well, she’s the way she is now. She didn’t talk and she actually just came back from Japan.”

 

“Who’s taking care of her now? And you still didn’t tell me your relationship with her.” Kyuhyun continue asking.

 

“She’s staying with her uncle now and she’s my childhood friend. I only treated her like my sister Kyuhyun, nothing more than that. Well, I didn’t know about her feelings though.” The last sentence stabbed Kyuhyun but he just decide to stay calm.

 

“Ok then. I guess that’s all you can tell me right? Thank you, I’ll leave first.”

 

“Kyuhyun, wait.” Yesung stopped him before he take another step leaving, “Sungmin still has a secret why she didn’t want to talk.”

 

“What is it?”

 

“You.” Yesung pointed.

 

“Huh?!” Kyuhyun obviously astounded by it.

 

 “Do you still remember the necklace that you give her?” Kyuhyun nodded lifelessly.

 

“When the police found her, she was holding the necklace in her hand. But, her eyes only showed emptiness. She didn’t let go of it until she passed out and fainted. ”

 

 “Do you understand now? You are her only past that she still remembers, Kyuhyun. That’s why she’s avoiding you.” Kyuhyun stunned by the statement.

 

He was agape for a few seconds, processing what he just heard. When he wakes up later, Yesung has left and he was standing at the hall way alone.

 

I’m her only past? What was that supposed to mean? He asked himself while walking back to his class.

 

When he looked outside the window, he saw a group of students taking a break and was actually laughing happily. The group was where his best friend was. He watched as Sungmin smiles together with his friend. He felt jealous of them because Sungmin’s eyes even refused to look at him when they met and yet, she was happy with the others.

 

Why must you change so much, Min? He left the unanswered question inside and just walked away but he stopped half away.

 

Flashback.

 

“Now, where have Minnie gone to? Eh?” Kyuhyun was looking for his ‘girlfriend’ when he heard a small sobbing by the corner.

 

He headed to where the voice is to see Sungmin crying alone, “Isskh…isskh…”

 

“Minnie!” he dashed towards her, “What’s wrong? Why are you crying?!” he panicked.

 

Sungmin turned to look at him with her doe eyes, her ‘m’ shaped lips started to shudder as she cries again, “Kyukyu…”

 

“Hey, hey. Don’t cry.” Kyuhyun said, tried his best to calm the girl and took the girl into his arms.

 

Seconds later, Sungmin’s sob subside as she snuggles closer towards Kyuhyun’s warmth. They continue to stay in that position until Kyuhyun was sure that she was okay.

 

Then, he started his question again, “Now, tell me, why you are crying?”

 

She wiped the tears using the back of her hand, “I’m sorry…Kyukyu…”

 

“Sorry? Why?”

 

“Minnie lost Kyukyu’s present…” she confessed, and tried to hide herself in Kyuhyun’s chest.

 

“Present? The bunny?” Sungmin slowly nodded, still didn’t dare to face to face with Kyuhyun.

 

Kyuhyun sighed heavily, “Minnie, it’s just a bunny. Kyu will buy another one for you.”

 

“BUT! It’s Kyukyu’s first present to Minnie! And…and Minnie has lost it…Minnie is a bad girl, please don’t be mad at Minnie…” she stammered as her eyes started to get teary once again.

 

“Shh…don’t cry…” Kyuhyun carefully wiped away her tears, “Kyu will never be mad at Minnie. Kyu loves Minnie, right?” and Sungmin nodded hesitantly.

 

He scratched his head, thinking hard about what he should do to ease her ‘girlfriend’, “Ah ha, let’s do this.” He let go of the hug and took out the necklace that he was wearing, a letter ‘K’ and he exchange it with Sungmin’s letter ‘S’ necklace whereas Sungmin just stared at him, confusion written all over her face.

 

“Kyukyu?”

 

“There. Now, Minnie is mine.” He stated, holding the girl’s hands with his, “Minnie must make sure to wear Kyu’s necklace always and Kyu will wear Minnies’. No matter where we are, we will always remember each other. And if we ever separated, with this, we will sure be able to recognize both of us, forever. Aracchi?” Kyuhyun explained long and it takes time for Sungmin to actually process the information.

 

She then nodded eagerly. “Aracchi! Now, Kyukyu is Minnies’! And Minnie promise to never lose the necklace ever!” Sungmin showed her best serious expression then she smiled, “Pinky promise!” she said.

 

Kyuhyun smiled to see the overloading cuteness from Sungmin and he was really happy that he was able to make her smile again, “Pinky promise.” And they both intertwined their pinky finger and a promise was made.

 

Flashback end.

 

“We made a promise right, Minnie?” Kyuhyun murmured to himself, holding the necklace that he wears tight, remembering his past memories.

 

His gaze was fixed at Sungmin but there’s nothing he could do. In his mind kept thinking, if he was Sungmnin’s past, he must make a decision on what to do to make him become her present now. As he walked away from the window, he didn’t realize that Sungmin has turned her head to look at the same spot, like she could actually feel someone is watching her.

 

“Sungminie, let’s go.” Ryeowook called, and she shook the feeling and went back to the class together with her other friends.

 

 

TBC