I'm okay

Voice

 

 

It’s been five minutes after the chaos when Kangin suddenly appeared at the door, fuming in anger seeing Youngjin holding Sungmin’s hands. He pulled Sungmin at once from Youngjin and stand in front of her, sort of protecting her. That was where the tongue-battle begins.

 

“What the hell are you doing to Sungmin, old man?!”

 

“What do you mean by that?! I didn’t do anything to her!” Youngjin retort back, both of them standing straight, glaring at each other.

 

“Then? Why are you holding her hand?! You stinky, wrinkly old man!”

 

“Wrinkly?!” Youngjin raged even more, “Stupid brat! How dare you call your father like that?! If only you’re not my son! I’ll surely grill you alive!!”

 

“Oh yeah! Like hell I’ll let you do that! ” the situation start to be getting even more heated as both of them didn’t want to give up and Sungmin was panic for sure.

 

“Okay. Okay, enough.” Siwon interrupted, standing between the two angry lion.

 

“You…”

 

“You’re scaring the girl.” Siwon cuts again, and they stopped right away understand the meaning behind the statement.

 

“Sungmin, you’re okay, right?” Kangin turned to look at Sungmin worriedly and Sungmin nodded to the question.

 

“I’m glad.” He hugged Sungmin in relief.

 

“Yah, yah who told you that you could hug Sungmin?” this time, it’s Youngjing who pulled Sungmin away from Kangin, “And why are acting so familiar with her?” he frowned hard.

 

“Cause I’m her friend and protector, that’s why, old man.” Kangin took Sungmin into his arms, again.

 

“Ceh, protector? Stop joking. Sungmin here is my savior, brat. Let go of her.” He scowled in annoyance.

 

“Yah, yah.” Just before Youngjin grabbed Sungmin from Kangin’s hold, Siwon was first to interrupt in between, again.

 

“Fighting in front of her isn’t really a good thing, hyung, uncle.” Siwon said and the duo finally realize their mistake seeing the confuse look on Sungmin’s face.

 

“Hmph!” they sulked and scoffed in sync, a proof that they are really father and son after all.

 

Sungmin couldn’t stop the laugh anymore.

 

“Sungmin! Don’t laugh!” They exclaimed, feeling embarrassed by showing that side to Sungmin like that.

 

The bickering between those two people really amuses her. Soon after that, with the help from Siwon, they all managed to calm themselves down and sit. But of course, Kangin refused to let his father touch Sungmin ever.

 

Youngjin uncle, the mafia gang leader is the father of Kangin oppa which is actually Kim Youngwoon. No wonder I feel so familiar with the name ‘Kim’ on the family plate just now. Also, the fact that Siwon oppa is Kangin oppa’s cousin is really weird as both of them are the pillar opposite of each other. A police and a mafia, what a weird family combination. And now, I’m sitting between these men and yet still feel so secure and safe. Is it because I’ve used to this situation or is it just because it’s my nature. Sungmin said to herself, smiling.

 

“I still didn’t get it why this sweet little Sungmin is a friend with such a stupid brat like you, huh?” Youngjin still didn’t want to accept the fact.

 

“It’s not your problem, old man.” They have another staring battle.

 

“Just forgive their quarrel will you, Sungmin?” Siwon said to Sungmin.

 

‘Do they always fight like this?’ Sungmin asked the question on the notebook.

 

Siwon nodded, “Every time they meet with each other, they’ll fight. But, don’t worry they’re just showing their love.” He added and Sungmin nodded eagerly, understood what Siwon is implying about.

 

“It’s late, Minnie.” Kangin exclaimed after that, “Let me send you home.” He added and stood up.

 

“What?! No! You can’t take her away!” Youngjin objected immediately.

 

“You said only dinner old man. And dinner time is over. I’m taking Sungmin home no matter what. Sungmin, let’s go.” Kangin ordered, started walking out from the room.

 

Sungmin smiled apologetically, she handed a piece of note to Youngjin.

 

‘I’m sorry, uncle. But, it’s really is late and I’m afraid that my uncle might get angry at me. Let’s meet again someday. I’ll ask for permission from Kangin-oppa to bring me here.’ Youngjin and Siwon both read the note together.

 

Youngjin sighed, “Maybe you’re right. Let me send you to the door.”

 

“Me too.” The two men walked Sungmin to the gate where Kangin is already waiting.

 

He looks extra cool with a very expensive black car parked next to him. Sungmin is really proud and amaze by Kangin’s appearance now which is very much differs than he is at school. He seems more mature, just like how a real man should be.

 

“Take a good care of yourself, Sungmin.” Sungmin promised.

 

“Just call me if you ever need any help again.” Sungmin nodded again to Siwon.

 

Youngjin feel sad to separate with Sungmin, “Oh, I’m going to miss you, Sungmin.” Sungmin just laugh seeing the sad expression, “Just consider about what I told you, okay?” Youngjin whispered the last sentence to Sungmin’s ears and Sungmin blushed remembering it.

 

“Enough drama, father. Sungmin, let’s go.” Kangin cuts them off again and receive a deathly glare from his father.

 

Sungmin bowed a little and waved goodbye towards the ‘Kim’ household before she get inside the car. Without wasting more time, Kangin fast drove away from there. Sungmin has already written the address that he needs to know, so it makes him easier to send Sungmin home.

 

Youngjin and Siwon watched the car until it completely left the road. And Youngjin sighed again.

 

“Disappointed, uncle?”

 

“Who would not. Youngwoon’s eyes clearly say that Sungmin is just a sister.” He sighed again dejectedly, “When will this brat ever give me a grandchildren like this?”

 

“Oh, come on, uncle. Youngwoon hyung is still young and so are you. The time will come.” Siwon said, comforting his uncle.

 

“Maybe.” Youngjin replied short and they went back inside the house.

 

But, why does Sungmin’s face seem so familiar? I think I have seen her somewhere before. Youngjin pondered about it all by himself.

 

~~

 

“Just forgive my father’s childish attitude, okay Minnie?”

 

‘Okay.’

 

“I still can’t believe the story that you save my father, though.” Kangin turned to stare at Sungmin deeply, “You should be grateful that it’s my father that you help, Sungmin. Next time, don’t try your luck with anyone else. If you see anyone fighting, just run, understand?” Sungmin nodded slowly to the warning.

 

“I just don’t want you to get into trouble, Sungmin.” Kangin said more, seeing the cute pout started to appear on Sungmin’s face.

 

‘Sorry.’ Sungmin mouthed and clearly understood by Kangin.

 

“I know I’m being weird and overprotective. But I really didn’t want you to involve more with my family.” He sighed tiredly every time he remembers the memory of people involving with his family.

 

‘Why?’

 

“You’re asking me why?” Sungmin nodded.

 

Kangin stare straight in front, arranging the sentences that he wants to use to explain, “My mother passed away after giving birth to me. So, I don’t quite know what mother love is to begin with.” He started.

 

“Father was really devastated. He grew me up well though, in that kind of situation, with lots of discipline. He teaches me sorts of things to become strong and a leader. But…I was greedy.” He stopped for a moment.

 

“Father’s love is not enough, I guess. I betray his trust. I had a terrible fight, police involved, and the group was badly damaged. Father was almost died in solving the matter.” Sungmin was shocked to hear the last statement.

 

“But, he’s okay now.” Kangin ruffled Sungmin’s hair.

 

“The problem was solved and I swore myself to never betray the group ever again. Still…being the son of a mafia group is not always a good thing and the enemy is everywhere. I don’t want my love one to ever get hurt because of me.” He said, and Sungmin could sense the sincerity behind it.

 

“I just hope that Teukie will be able to accept the real me.” He hoped, smiled sadly.

 

A hand affectionately touched his head and patted him gently. He turned and smile towards the girl.

 

‘It’s alright, oppa.’ Sungmin ‘said’ the encouraging word.

 

Kangin was grateful that she was with her and understands him.

 

Few minutes later, they arrived at Sungmin’s house. They both were greeted by an angry Sungjin who was waiting in front of the door, with his hand crossed on his chest. Sungmin gulped, feeling nervous with it.

 

“Let me explain to him.” Kangin whispered and accompanied her to Sungjin.

 

They walked forward, feeling extremely nervous with Sungjin next reaction.

 

“Where have you been, Lee. Sung.Min.” Sungjin asked, sounding very angry but still is in control.

 

Sungmin puts her head low, looking at the floor. She actually didn’t know where to start and what to say as the answer to her uncle with the presence of Kangin there.

 

“I’m so sorry.” Kangin said, breaking the ice between them.

 

“You mean?”

 

“Sungmin lateness is due to my father’s stubbornness that didn’t want to let her go home.” Kangin said but it makes Sungjin more confused.

 

“What are you talking about? I don’t understand a bit. And who are you, actually?”

 

Kangin cleared his throat, “My name is Kangin. I’m Sungmin’s senior in school. Actually today, Sungmin has helped my father and my father insisted in treating her dinner to pay her kindness. That’s why she was late. We have clean her clothes too. I’m just so sorry that we made you worry.” Kangin explained again, with more details.

 

“Is that true?” Sungjin turned to Sungmin to make sure and Sungmin nodded slowly.

 

Sungjin sighed, “It’s okay, then. I’m glad that you’re fine. Get inside first.” Sungmin nodded again and bowed a little to Kangin before she disappeared behind the door.

 

“Thank you for sending her home. I’m Sungjin, Sungmin’s uncle.” He extends his hand and they shake hands with each other.

 

“You’re welcome and I’m really am sorry again.” He apologized.

 

“No, it’s okay, now. Maybe I was just too paranoid. Let’s meet again someday.”

 

“Sure.” They shake hand once more for the last time and went into separate ways.

 

Kangin waited till Sungjin get inside the house before he himself also get inside the car. Just before he starts the car’s engine, he notices Sungmin’s phone that was left on the car seat. He gets out once again and just about to ring the bell when he hears a voice, yelling.

 

“Lee Sungmin! Just be honest with me, and tell me what happened!” Sungjin’s voice sounded really angry.

 

“I said I’m okay, Jin-chan! Why are you so insisted?!”

 

Kangin was stunned. Sungmin’s voice? Sungmin…can speak? He tiptoed to the nearest window and took a peek inside the house.

 

“Because you are not okay!” Sungjin replied back, a bit louder this time.

 

“Why can’t you just tell me the truth. I will not force you if it’s not bad. Please Minnie, tell me what happened.” He tried to restrain himself a bit.

 

“No.”

 

“Lee Sungmin!”

 

“No! I said No! Why must you force me?!” Sungmin screamed loudly, already crying hard.

 

“Everyone hate me, Jin-chan! That’s why!” Sungmin finally said.

 

Tears continue on flowing through her cheeks as her uncle just watched, letting her says everything building up inside her heart.

 

“Wookie suddenly refuse to talk to me.” She sniffed, “She said that I betray her. But, I didn’t know anything. I…I didn’t know what I did. She just hates me now.” She’s already sobbing as she continued, “And…and…Kyukyu…he also…he also hate me!!” she cried out.

 

Sungjin’s face softened. He felt really sympathy to the girl.

 

“Everyone….everyone hate me…it happened again…it’s just like when I was in Japan…” Sungmin continues on crying, finally able to take out everything that she kept this whole week.

 

Sungjin walked closer to his niece, spread wide his arms and embraced the girl warmly.

 

“Isn’t it better to say it?” he said, “You should not keep this feeling alone. And, I know that you are upset.” Sungjin wiped some tears that were still streaming down.

 

“But, I told you, right? I’m here. And also, I told many times, this is not Japan. Still, if you want…”

 

Sungmin hurriedly shook her head even before Sungjin finished, “No, I don’t want to go!” completely know the meaning of Sungjin’s sentence.

 

“Listen, there’s still China…”

 

“No! I don’t want to leave here!” she determined.

 

Sungjin sighed, “Then, what do you want to do? Holding on?” Sungmin stayed silent.

 

“Sungmin,” The uncle holds both of her cheeks, “You are not weak, I know. But, pretending to be strong is not good for you. You should understand about this more than anyone else.”

 

“I know…” she replied faintly.

 

“Let’s do this, then. Next week, if this continues, whatever you’re hiding from me now, we’ll go for a holiday. Let’s meet your mama.” He suggested.

 

Sungmin’s face beamed hearing the word ‘mama’, “Really?”

 

“Yes. I know that you miss her and I’m 100 percent sure that she miss you so much too.” Sungmin nodded, a smile finally appears on her face.

 

Sungjin smiles along with her and hugged the girl again. Even tighter this time.

 

On the other hand, Kangin was watching everything that happened while those two totally oblivious with it. He smiled and sighed in relief. Deciding that he should not bother the family, he puts back the phone inside his pocket and walked back to the car. He started the engine and left. Along the way back home, there’s question that keep spinning inside his head.

 

Why did Sungmin refuse to talk if she can speak? If she has a voice, why did she decide to be call mute?

 

~~

 

Sungmin sleep that night in peace as one of her weight finally lifted when she was being true to her uncle. But during midnight, she wakes up again. Blinking her eyes few times, she gets up and headed to the kitchen to drink some water. By the time she almost reaches the kitchen, she heard voices talking. She was surprised to see Sungjin there, talking on the phone, wide awake and looked annoyed.

 

“Why tomorrow?!” he sounded upset.

 

“What?! What do you mean, it’s urgent and sudden?” he stopped to listen to the explanation on the other side.

 

“Then, you’re supposed to remind me a week ago! Not today!” he was furious, that’s for sure.

 

Sungjin slumped his on the chair tiredly, massaged his head a little. He was really tired with all the work and stresses that swelling since few days ago.

 

“No, I’m not going. What do you mean why? I just can’t leave Sungmin here! Bring her? Are you kidding me?! I promised not to take her those meeting again! Why? Please don’t make me angrier Yun. No! I didn’t ask to be the next generation! Well, I don’t care!” Sungjin angrily hang up, take a glass of water and gulping it non-stop.

 

“Jin-chan?” he jolted to hear Sungmin’s voice.

 

“Sungmin?” he sighed again, “Why are you still awake?”

 

“I just want to drink some water. Is there something wrong with the company, Jin-chan?” Sungmin asked worriedly.

 

“No. it’s not about the company.”

 

“Then?”

 

“There’s this stupid meeting with the entire related group tomorrow.” Sungjin stated, frowned hard, “And they want me, the next generation to be there.” He added.

 

“So suddenly?”

 

“Yes, so suddenly! I can’t believe they want me to fly there immediately without a notice! Who do they think I am? A robot? Pst, stupid group!” Sungjin complained irritably.

 

“Jin-chan, maybe they really need you to be there.”

 

“Maybe yes, maybe no. but…” Sungjin look at her and sigh again.

 

“I’ll be fine, Jin-chan.” Sungmin said, assuring her uncle.

 

“But, you’ll be alone. I might be home late. And if it’s early, I will only be back by midnight.”

 

“Still, it is important right?” Sungmin said.

 

Sungjin stared at his niece, processing and thinking before he finally nodded.

 

“If that’s so, it’s okay then. Trust me, Jin-chan. I’ll be fine. I promise that I will never do anything stupid that hurt myself, ever again.” She promised, with hands raised up to her shoulder.

 

“Okay. Okay. I get the point now.” Sungjin replied, “But, you’ll stay at Jongwoon’s house. No more excuses of staying anywhere else, understand?” Sungmin nodded eagerly.

 

“And, I’ll call those men again. To get a ticket and other things ready.” Just as Sungjin about to make a call, his phone rang, “Speak of the devil.” He pushed the answer button.

 

“Yes, hello. It’s me. Yeah, yeah sadly I’m still alive.” He said mockingly.

 

“Go to sleep after this.” He ordered Sungmin sternly and once he got a nod from Sungmin then he went to continue the call.

 

“Jin-chan is such worrywart.” Sungmin told herself, smiling.

 

~~

 

In the next morning, by the time Sungmin wakes Sungjin has left.

 

There was a note pasted on the refrigerator, written ‘I’ve call Jongjin. He’ll fetch you at school, today. Call me.’

 

Sungmin just smiled with her uncle’s worry. She finished her breakfast and fast get ready to school with a smile. At school, he was still treated the same way by the others, with the difference that Kangin was absence. When she asked Leeteuk, the girlfriend said that Kangin has an urgent matter that he needs to attend to.

 

“But, don’t worry. I’ll be here to protect you in his place.” Leeteuk said, patted the girl’s head gently and she received a genuine smile as the reply.

 

 

TBC

 

 

~~sorry for not fulfilling my promise to let Minnie reconcile back with her friend in this chapter. But, I’ll make sure, the next chapter, everything will be okay! I promise! Hehehe

And also, congratulations to everyone who give the right answer! Yup, kim youngjin is the father of kangin. But, don’t worry because he will never force kangin and Minnie to be together, he was just desperate to have grandchild, that’s all. ヽ( ´¬`)ノ

Thank you so much for new subscribers!! And also for other people whom commenting!! Your comments really made my day!!!~~ (★^O^★)