The Devil's Spouse

I'm In Love with My Lawyer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Chapter XIII: The Devil's Spouse

 

 

Luna was escorted by the bailiff then settles herself in the elevated podium. She gave her oath then sat in the wooden chair of the witness stand, dark circles and wrinkles were visible on her pale face. She was wearing a plain blouse and jeans as her hair tied in a loose knot. The mere sight of the girl emitted an aura to which everyone felt sympathy on her.

The Luna who is seated as a witness was far from the Luna,Donghae saved back then, she was stressed out and looked thinner from the last time he saw her. 

Dong Won approached the witness stand, with eyes locked with Luna, his expression was unreadable but his gaze was soft.

“Miss Seong, Where were you on the night the victim died?”

“I was with him sir” she responded

“What were the two of you doing before he got killed?”

“We were talking. Well arguing, exactly. ”

“What happened then?”

“We were on a heated argument, which he can’t help but shout. Donghaessi came, I think he thought that Min Ho was going to hurt me, so he grabbed and beat him up. She was dry as cornmeal, flatly narrating the details.

"They were strangling each other when suddenly I heard a gunshot and Min Ho was already lying lifeless on the ground” Tears were now starting to fall from her eyes.

“Did he hurt you?

“No sir” she said in between her sobs.

Donghae grimaced in his seat while he tightens the grip onto the arms of his chair. The vision of Luna’s bruised shoulder was very clear in his memory.She was lying, why would she? He thought into himself.

“Did you see Min Ho holding a gun?”

“No” her head bent down “It was Donghaessi who had the gun” she added.

At that blatant lie, he finally jerked up from his seat, banging the table with his tight fists, and everyone jolt in surprise.

“You know that’s not true! Why are you lying?!” He shouted unable to control his rumbling anger. The whole crowd was shocked with his sudden outburst. The calm Lee Donghae never went ape. He was never even angry to the point of shouting in public. With their faces contorted with worry, his Suju members watched him from their seats, fidgeting. They wanted to approach and ease him, to say it would all be fine and they were there for him but unfortunately, they were not allowed to do so.

“Order!" The judge barked, striking his mallet. "Atty. Park, tell your client to behave himself or I will personally send him to detention.” 

Dara immediately pulled Donghae back in his seat and reached for his hand below the table, trying to calm him down.  Donghae was still furious when he looked at her, his eyes blazing in contempt and fear.

“She’s lying!” he hissed through clenched teeth; it almost sounded like he was pleading to be believed in. 

Seeing the desperation in his face, Sandara heaved a small sigh. He didn't know how harsh things could happen inside the court. His trusting and soft part probably expected that the people inside would give him a smile and act all vigilant ang good because that was just how it should be. But clearly, it wasn't.  Court hearings were always imbued in lies and deceit it sometimes disgusted her. She pitited the guy because he didn't deserve such lies.

Squeezing Donghae's hand in her grasp, Sandara  the spoke as softly as possible.  “I know. I believe you," she assured him. "Just calm down and leave everything to me, okay?”  Donghae lookedat her and the determination in her eyes somehow calmed him. It reminded him that he was not alone in this trial. No pun intended. 

 

Dara’s POV

 

I sat comfortably while watching the drama infront of us. The interrogation continued. Judge Nam asked her a few questions where in return, she answered passively. Her eyes were heavy and lips starting to get dry as she tries her best to relate the ‘facts’ of that night’s event. She was lying, as what Donghae said. I knew it, of course.

Attorney Kang’s examination was done, now it’s my turn and I will set this liar in fire. 

Walking towards the witness stand, I kept my stare on her, piercing as I examined every feature of her face. She looks familiar though, but I immediately shrugged the thought off since it wasn't the most imperative as of the moment.

“Miss Seong, how sure are you that it was my client who had the gun?” I started, direct and blatant, skipping all the unnecessary routines of questioning. I just want to get through with this. Fast.

“I am sure it was his...” her voice faltered, paused, as if thinking of what to say.  “I saw him taking a gun out from his side pocket.”

“Side pocket?" a scoff.  "You actually think that an idol like him--a person who has eyes watching him every second and a fan clinging every now and then--would carry a rifle in his side pocket? In a public place at that?” 

She simply fidgeted in her seat, the flush--of what I suppose was shame for giving an obvious lie--burning on her cheeks. 

“Well, I.. I don’t know.” 

I crossed my arms and cocked my head at that. I hope she did realize how foolish it was of her to give such a dull and inconsistent response. A mocking smile came tugging on my lips and I couldn't help but look at her in a ridiculing manner. “Now you’re unsure, huh, Miss Seong?” 

She visibly bristled at my implication but manged to keep her calm.“I know what I saw,” she snarled soflty.

 

“What you saw,” I said slowly ,“was a hallucination”

 

“No.” She was glaring now. 

 

“Yes," I countered. "You said they were strangling each other and then 'suddenly', you heard a gunshot. Now you’re saying you saw him taking out a gun, and then fired it? Make up your mind Luna ssi.”

Her glare dissolve almost immediately. I could clearly see how her expression fell and colors evaded her face. She blinked and unblinked, started to get restless on her seat. I simply smirked at her flustered state, enjoying the effect I was giving her. 

*****

“Objection your honor, Attorney Park is confusing the witness.” Dong Won interrupted trying to save Luna from her dreadful situation

“No, I’m not. Your witness is confused herself, Attorney Kang.” Sandara responded as she turned to look at him with a stoic expression. Their gazes met and burned with intensity, not one intending to balk out of the sta

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter