Arraignment Day: Haunted by a Nightmare

I'm In Love with My Lawyer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Long Chapter ahead :)))

 

 

 

Chapter X :

Arraignment Day: Haunted by a Nightmare

 

 

 

 

Arraignment day

Park Law Offices 8:37am

“Where is that guy?” Dara scowled while impatiently tapping her stilettoes against the marbled floor. “I specifically instructed him to arrive here before 8:30” she irritably murmured yet audible enough in the ears of her secretary.

“No need to worry Dara, the hearing starts at 9:00 there’s still time” Youngbae uttered with a smile flashed from his charming face hoping this can calm down his grouchy boss.

“I hate waiting” still irritated she checked her wrist watch “I’ll give him 10 minutes or else you’ll be his lawyer.” Her tone was full of angst. Obviously, joking was not in her mind.

“Hey relax will you! You’re always grumpy early in the morning”

“You can’t blame me, I hadn’t have a good sleep” she leaned her elbows against the wooden table with head buried in her arms.

Youngbae stood staring intently at her with worried eyes. A nightmare again? He thought. He was always worried for her, she can be strong and fierce facing other people yet he knew for sure she was a fragile woman threatened to break any moment when alone. It has already been 3 years since he first met the most incredible girl in his life, no doubt he fell for her at first sight. No man in his right mind would not think she’s irresistible, Dara wasn’t hard to love. She was a desire for every man and an exemplar for every woman. He was always there watching her from a distance, you can call him a creep, a one hot and y creep. He saw how she dumped numerous eligible bachelors, witnessed how she apathetically told each one of them “I don’t have time for you”. Seeing all those men walk out devastated from her crashes every glint of his courage for confession. He’ll one day tell her, he promised. One day.

He was about to utter a word when the door swung open revealing Donghae as he strode hurriedly inside.

“Finally” Dara stood up throwing her brief case towards Youngbae, the latter made a swift catch which took Donghae by surprise.

“Miahne if I’m late. My friends kept on pestering to come with me” He apologized while scratching the back of his head.

“You brought them with you?” Youngbae asked him

“No. They had busy schedules so I didn’t want them to cancel it”

“Let’s go now” Dara was now waiting by the doorstep, her irritated mood somehow subsided.

 

 

*****

When they arrived at the Hall of Justice Donghae was escorted by two deputies into the courtroom. He was nervously stiff while walking in between the two well-built police men. They used the side door, away from the main hallway where the curious were known to lurk.

Dara followed her client and the cops while Youngbae waited outside.

Courtroom 8:50am

The courtroom was of a shape and design Donghae had never seen in television. It was so small! There were no benches or seats for the spectators. The judge sat behind an elevated structure between two flags with the wall just behind him. Two tables were in the center of the room, facing the judge and one was already occupied with men in dark suits. To the judge’s right was a tiny table where an older woman was flipping through a stack of papers, very bored with it, it seemed, until he entered the room. A charming middle aged woman sat ready with a stenographic machine directly infront of the judge’s bench. A bailiff with a gun on his hip was the final actor in the play.

Donghae took his seat, very much aware that everyone was staring at him. The two police left the room, and when the door closed behind them the judge picked up the file again and flipped through it.

 

Dara’s POV

When we arrived the hearing shortly started and went smoothly. Donghae was nervous no doubt about that however I must acknowledge him for being one refined man in answering calmly the questions thrown to him by the interrogative bailiff. He was genuinely honest just as what I told him to be.

“…Mr. Lee Donghae you have been charged in an indictment with murder, a violation of section 125.25 of the Penal Law. Specifically, it is alleged that on August 23, 2013 you fired a shot which struck the victim, Kang Min Ho’s chest which caused of his death. How do you plea?”

“I am not guilty sir.”

“Very well Mr. Lee your plea of not guilty is accepted. This case is scheduled for trial before the Honorable Nam Soo Hyuk, five days after.”

With that the hearing was adjourned, it was one fast arraignment. Well you can’t really expect the real battle to happen now do you? This is just the opening kickoff.

I was suddenly interrupted by a baritone voice behind me “So you’re his lawyer” I turned around only to find myself facing a man in black suit, there were visible lines in his face I can say he’s in his late 30’s.

“Yes and I suppose you’re the prosecutor”

“I certainly am” he showed me pride, arrogance and mockery knitted all in one smirk. This prosecutor emits an aura I am perfectly accustomed of, a conceited, egocentric smarty-pants. “I’m atty. Kang Dong Won by the way” He offered his hand for a handshake however I ignored it and laid a hand on his shoulder.

“I am sorry for the lost of your brother” He looked stunned from my gesture of sincerity seemingly felt insulted by it. What intrigued me here were his eyes. It was a pool of various emotions. He smiled trying to conceal those emotions nonetheless my eyes were keen enough to notice these.

“B-brother?”  

“Yes Mr. Lee, he’s Kang Min Ho’s older brother” I informed Donghae who was right beside me. I felt him tense up upon knowing that this lawyer has a relation with the man he shot. Who wouldn’t be when this guy holds a lethal stare straight at him like looks could kill.

“Don’t be for I’ll surely seek vengeance Atty. Park” it was said in a soft mutter laced with sardonic intent

“Vengeance is not ours Atty. Kang let’s just enjoy this little war of who beats who”

“Alright then let’s see who’ll end up triumphant in this battle Atty. Park” His eyes drowned in menace as he accepts the challenge I gave then again followed by that implacable smirk on his face. I will definitely take that smirk away after this.

 

*****

“I thought you said Min Ho was the only child?”

“Yes he is. He’s the only legitimate son. Atty. Kang is a son of his mother”

“Damn I’m in trouble, he’ll surely do everything to win this case”

“So am I Mr. Lee” I said as I started walking away from them

“Where are you going?” Youngbae asked

“Restroom”

 

 

I went out of the powder room and was about to return where I left Youngbae and Donghae waiting however two mysterious figures at the far end of the hallway caught my attention I was about to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter