The Trial

I'm In Love with My Lawyer
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

Chapter XII: The Trial 

 

 

It was a day before his trial and Donghae was worriedly pacing back and forth inside his room, with arms crossed and a hand massaging his forehead. It was always his gesture whenever anxiety disturbs the equilibrium of his emotion stability. He was pressured with everything that is happening. Lee Soo Man stated the verification of the spreading scandal yet kept his case untold, which is why reporters and journalists keeps on pestering him and s to break their silence. It was always a riot every time he tries to step out of the dorm. Another thing which was disturbing him is Attorney Park. He tried calling her office a dozen of times yet all they say is either “She’s not in” or “She’s very busy as of the moment”

He needs to talk to her especially about how to handle his current situation with the scandal, but he was ignored. She had no time for him, why? Is she planning to abandon my case?

The thought alone made his heart ache in fear and disappointment. “I thought she could be trusted”He uttered.

“Continue trusting her” he flinched upon the sudden interruption of a voice. He turned around and saw his bestfriend

“What do you mean Hyuk?”

“Your referring about your lawyer right? ”

He nodded

“Then just trust her! Stop pressuring yourself from too much thinking”

Donghae was about to respond when his phone rang and the caller was unidentified.

“Y-yoboseyo?”he answered, hoping it isn’t anyone from the media

 

 

 

 

 

“Hello Mr. Lee” a sweet feminine voice greeted him. In an instant all of his jitters subsided and a tiny little happy bubble popped inside of him.

“Sandara?” He assured

“Yes it’s me and again, call me Attorney Park”she was calm yet her voice was hoarse, seemingly tired.

“YAH! I’ve been trying to call you for days! Why aren’t you answering?” He pouted which took Eunhyuk’s curiosity

“Miahne. As what my staff has been telling you, I was really busy”

“So you’re not leaving me?”

There was a brief silence and Donghae’s heart was erratic, afraid of what she might answer 

 

“Why would I do that? I told you to trust me” Relief washed over him. I was thinking too much.

“Anyways, I called to remind you about the trial tomorrow. I suppose you’re aware of it, right?”

“Of course”

“Then better be at the office 8:30 am. SHARP” Dara instructed, emphasizing the word ‘Sharp’ for him to know that being late is a big no-no

“Tomorrow will be an epic battle my dear client. So, be ready” her voiced was laced with both mischief and valor. What was she up to? No one knows.

With that,Dara ended the call.

“Hello?? … Aaaisht! She hung up on me!”Donghae stomped, out of frustration.

Eunhyuk, on the other hand, was enjoying the bothered state of his friend then spoke in a teasing manner

“If I didn’t knew, I would actually think, you were talking with your girlfriend”

“Huh? What made you say that?”

“You pouted in a telephone conversation, for Christ’s sake Hae! ”

“No I did not!” He protested while touching his lips

“Yes you did.”

“And what was that ‘So you’re not leaving me?’ are you a paranoid boyfriend who desperately waits for his girlfriend’s call? You’re so obvious man! Tsk!”

“Obvious? What the heck monkey! Just get out will you?”

“I can’t wait to meet this Sandara, she really seems to be a special lawyer” Both of his eyebrows wiggled as a wide, playful grin spread on his face only to irritate the already annoyed fish.

“GET OUT YOU ANNOYING MONKEY!” he angrily demanded

“Arraarra! No need to shout lover boy”He quickly went out of the room avoiding Donghae’s flaring wrath of pillows.

 

*****

Trial Day

 

The most anticipated day has come for both parties who restlessly prepared themselves for a furious battle of knowledge, wit, pride and reputation.

The courtroom of Honorable Nam SooHyuk was crowded with the curious, the press, who would never slip this opportunity to have a bombastic scoop, and a small army of lawyers who were also eager to watch the most talked-about case of the year. 

Beyond the railing that separated the players from the spectators, Attorney Kang stood in the center of a tight circle of his assistants and whispered frowning as if they were planning for an invasion. He was decked out of his Sunday’s best- dark three-piece suit, white shirt, red and blue silk necktie and hair perfectly framing his handsome face.

All heads snapped towards the entrance when Donghae nervously entered the courtroom. Dara, Youngbae and a paralegal came walking beside him as the Super Junior members followed behind, ready to support their brother. Donghae was in casual attire, a plain black V-neck shirt and faded blue jeans. His clothes were simple yet it didn’t conceal the dashing debonair that he was.

Endless flashes from different cameras radiated the whole room.

The media’s attention drew towards a certain girl.

“Who is she?”

“I never saw her before, a new idol?”

Dara sat on the edge of the defense table which took them by surprise. They didn’t actually thought of a lovely young woman to be Donghae’s defense lawyer.

The courtroom deputy stopped infront of a bench and yelled for everyone to settle. The hearing was about to start.

Judge Nam appeared from the side door and was escorted to the bench by an assistant who was carrying a stack of heavy files

 

“Good morning, ladies and gentlemen. Calling the case of the People of the Republic of Korea versus Lee Donghae.  Are both sides ready?”

“Yes your honor” Both Dara and Dong Won responded

“Then let’s start with the opening statements” The judge stated as he takes off his round spectacles, anticipating for what each lawyers have prepared.

Attorney Kang stood slowly, buttoning his jacket and started his statement.

 

“Your Honor, ladies and gentlem

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter