Beside You

Mute and Loud

 

The door behind me is push hard until it hit the wall and produce a loud bang. I startle but still manage to hold myself. My body swing around to face the door. Baekhyun is standing there empty handed. He is breathing heavily while walking forward.

 

"Don't move or she'll die," the man warn, pointing the knife down my chin. My lips are trembling, feeling that death is just near me.

 

I close my eyes, afraid of what might happen. I can hear footsteps and someone struggling. I open my eyes to find myself laying on the bed. I stand up and the lights are on. There is another man, short and wearing a black mask standing at the door while Baekhyun and the other man, tall and broad shoulders is at the middle of the room. Baekhyun seems like he isn't aware of the short man behind him. He is throwing punches at the tall man.

 

I want to scream, alerting at him about the short man. But I just freeze and stand next to the bed feeling clueless. I don't know what am I suppose to do. in and help Baekhyun? That sound impossible since I don't have any skills in being defensive.

 

The short man approach Baekhyun from the back with a knife in his hand. When the knife swing to stab from the back, Baekhyun turn around and do the Brazilian kick, hitting on his stomach. The short man fell on the floor whining in pain. Then, Baekhyun grab the tall man hand, turn it around, pushing him towards the wall. But the tall man is pushing his body backwards making Baekhyun to lose balance. It is nerve wrecking to know that I can't do anything to help Baekhyun since Baekhyun is helping me.

 

I grab the alarm clock on the bed side table and hit it on the tall man's back. I drop the alarm clock when he turn around, rubbing his nape in frustration. This is bad. I shouldn't have help Baekhyun and I should have just stay quiet. The tall man march towards me as I am taking step by step backwards until I can feel the rough cold wall against my body. Now, I really need Baekhyun's help. I tilt my head to the side to find him but the tall man's body is big enough to block my sight.

 

Suddenly, that man stop walking, get on his knees and lay on the floor. I look at him, wondering what had happened. I lift my head, sweats run down to my neck. Baekhyun is standing, looking at the tall man. He must have learn the art of defense or something. I run towards him and hide my face on his chest, arms wrapping around his waist. I'm glad that he's ok. I'm glad that this is over.

 

I can feel Baekhyun hands holding my waist and tighten it. He kiss my head, saying, "It's alright. You're save now."

 


 

The police arrive 10 minutes after Baekhyun called. I'm sitting on the sofa next to Baekhyun while holding his hand. I feel secure whenever I'm around him. It hurt my pride to know that I need him more than anything. There are three police officers. Two of them went up the stairs to check on the burglars and the other one is taking our statements.

 

But I can feel that those two men up there aren't burglars. Because they know my mom and I. And I can't find the connection between mom and them.

 

The police officers left with those two criminals. I'm not sure if I'm going to have a goodnight sleep tonight.

 

"Yuni, your mom..." Baekhyun says, still holding my hand.

 

"She sent those guys to find you. I read the short man's mind. And your mom is going to---"

 

Stop. I don't want to hear anything. I get up, facing the floor while holding my tears from escaping. This is not right. Mom won't do such thing to me. Why would she do that? I mean, I'm her daughter. She can't hate me forever because of what had happened to dad. It had go on for five years. Can't her get over it like I have?

 

I'm also devastated to know that dad is not here anymore. It's even hurt to know that I'm the reason he died. I did't mean to rush him but it just happened. It just did. I'm young back then. I don't know the difference between right and wrong. I hate myself for letting that to happen. I walk ahead, all I can think about is locking myself up in my room and cry my lung out. This is where I need myself and I time.

 

"She is not your mother. Yuni, you don't have to hate yourself," Baekhyun add, making me trembling. I hold on the stairs panel, supporting myself. I lost. Tears flow down my cheek.

 

Baekhyun walk briskly towards me and hold on my shoulder. "I'm sorry," he says sincerely.

 

I push his hands from my shoulder. Leave me alone. I walk into my room, lock the door and sit on the floor with my back leaning against the door. I did't mean to force dad to come to my school talent show back then. If I knew that he ended up involved in a car accident, I won't let him come. And he may be still breathing untill now and my step mom won't hate me. Yes, I know that she is not my biological mom but I love her as much as I love dad.

 

"You don't have to punish yourself. Your dad died because it his time to go," he says, trying to comfort me. I believe he is standing facing my room door as I can hear his voice clearly. I try not to sob even louder. He continue, "Yuni, please. Don't blame yourself of what had happened. Punishing yourself to stop talking and singing won't help anyone."

 

Stop it Baekhyun! Stop it. I don't need you to tell me what to do and what's not. Just stop listening to my thoughts! It’s my past and you have no right to know.

 

"You think I like reading your mind. Knowing your past when all I can do is act like I don't know. I hate having this ability. There is no advantage of listening to people's personal life,” he pause.

 

“When I walk by the girls, they may be squealing on the outside but in their mind, they had another thoughts. About making me theirs and all those ert things. You don't know how I feel.... I beg you, please open the door and look at me. So I can tell you that you're not alone and how much you mean to me," he says, sending me to silence.

 

All this time, I have been thinking about my own self, my own feeling when he is also hurting in the inside. How could I be so selfish. How could I not notice that he is in pain. I stand up, looking at the door handle. Then, I hear the sound of the door close. He has gone into his room. I pull the door handle, slowly revealing the image of Baekhyun's room door.

 

But Baekhyun is also there, standing close to me. Without second thought, I throw myself into his arms. And tears keep on flowing endlessly. He lean closer, resting his chin on my head and hold me by my waist. I feel down and peace at the same time. It’s sad to know that my life is getting harder but happy to know that Baekhyun will be there for me.

 

"I'm here. I will always be here."

 

I know. And I'll do the same, being there beside you.

 


 

Sun rays escaping through the white translucent curtain hanging near the large window, hitting my face. I frown, hands covering my eyes. I open my eyes, finding myself being close to warmness. Baekhyun is sleeping with his arm supporting my head while the other hugging my waist. A smile drawn on my face.

 

My eyes catch his lips. I have the urge to go closer and touch it with my own lips. And from there, I know I'm not being myself. I tilt my head ahead, laying sideways and brush my lips against his and pull back. Another playful smile appear. I don't know if this is what they call love or it just something else. 

 

I bite my lower lips, wanting to taste those lips more. I go forward, seeing him this close is heavanly. His jaw lines, his light blonde hair, his sleeping eyes and that cute nose of his. Everything about him is perfect to me. I kiss him for the second time and my body is turn, completely laying on the bed. Baekhyun is on top of me, our lips are still attact together.

 

Then, I feel he is kissing me with his eyes close. And I kiss him back, putting my hand around his neck. It is the greatest thing that is happening to me. We kiss for a few more moments, wanting to take dominance. We parted, gasping for air, eyes staring into each other. He is smiling, making me to smile as well.

 

"I like morning kiss," he says as my cheek blushing hot red.