Promises

Mute and Loud

 

This is my third cup of coffee. Sitting, staring and silent have become a habit of mine. I'm stuck in a coffee shop near Baekhyun's house. Just a few meters away. It's dark out there. My eyes travel across the sky, looking for a certain explainations. But thanks to the caffeine for keeping me awake. There is no such thing as explaination up there. It's just me that is suppose to go out and seek for it.

 

I walk out of the shop after the forth cup. Let's call it a day for today. I should get home and clean myself up before falling asleep. If only I have the guts to fall asleep after continously consumed caffeine. I starts to feel empty again. Is it just me or it's really is happening? The emptiness is something that I'm not a fan of. I haven't feel this way since dad and mom left. I mean, my step mother.

 

When my biological mother left, I did't miss her much because I was just a small kid back then. And dad was there next to me. Now, I can feel that Baekhyun is walking away from me. Maybe I really meant to be alone in this world. I sigh, wonder why it happened to me?

 

My arms are wide open, feeling the wind pushing me from the front, blowing my long hair. It's cold and it makes me feels good. 

 

After strolling at the street, I don't know how I end up being in a park instead of where I should have been. I sit on a bench facing the lake. There are people here. Some of them come in couple, hanging out with their friends and some are just unlucky to be alone like me.

 

I feel like having ice-cream. I stand up, looking for an ice-cream vendor and I found one. Right across the street behind me. A small ice-cream vendor and a familiar figure standing with his back facing me. And I thought, what a small world I'm living in.

 

After crossing the street, I stand next to him, pretending that I did't know him. He's tall. Too tall for me steal a few glance. My eyes shift to his hand, holding two cone of ice-cream. He must be meeting his girlfriend. Unconsciously, I found myself grinning. 

 

"What kind of ice-cream do you what young lady?" the man in red apron ask.

 

I point my finger towards a chocolate flavour, follow with his head nodding. And that's where the guy standing next to me notices me, "Yuni?" I turn my head to face him, there's a girl standing there, red long hair, fair skin and as well a few centimetres taller than me. I'm jealous. I smile to that girl and she return it. 

 

"I thought you've learn your lesson. Guess you're still brave enough to walk around, alone at night," he says.

 

I roll my eyes, handing in the money to the man in red apron. My tongue stick out to the chocolaty taste. When the soothing taste reach my taste bud, all those memories from my childhood time flash in my mind, just like a movie. I pull up my hoodie and shove my other hand into my pocket. Then, I lift my head, looking at the girl who is clueless. I guess Tao should at least say something to her.

 

And right on time, he says, "Krystal, this is Yuni. We're schoolmates and she...... don't talk." Even though Tao whispered the last part, I can still hear him. 

 

There's nothing much that I can do. We couldn't have a decent conversation and I can't properly introduce myself to Krystal. "Is she mute?" Krsytal ask, still whispering but staring at me. I continue enjoying my cone of ice-cream, pretending that I did't hear them.

 

"No, she's not. She's just don't talk," Tao answer in a convincing tone. 

 

I face Tao and snap my finger to grab his attention. Tao face me with his brows meet on his forehead. I place my hand on my chest and did a thumbs up, pointing to the back, signaling that I'm going home. Then, I wave my hand. Tao wave at me back, so did Krystal. Both of them look happy but Krystal looks a little bit lost. Maybe she is still confuse, figure out my extraordinary state. 

 

Once I reach home, my ice-cream has already finish. I climb the stairs, heading to my room and wash myself. Just before I end up sleeping, I decide to walk around in Baekhyun's room. I miss him. I miss his present close to me. I don't why I'm acting this way. Things happens and I have to expect the unexpected.

 

I sit on the bed, decide to lay down for a while. And the last thing I remember is sleeping on his bed. Then, someone came to me, pulling the blanket up to my chin.

 


 

I had a weird dream last night. But a sweetdream instead. I met my dad and it makes me feel good about it. He comfort me, gave words of advices and pat my head gently. While laying on the bed, I look up at the ceiling. I think I should come out of something to get away from Baekhyun. I mean, stop being a burden to him. 

 

A thud sound coming from downstairs startle me. Once I reach the kitchen, I see a man standing with his back facing me. 

 

Baekhyun?

 

The person standing facing the sink turn around, making me full of anticipation. "Yuni, you're awake," he says. Dissapointment appear on my face. I did't expect Baekbeom to be home. I smile awkwardly and sit on the high stool. He approach me with two mugs of coffee in his hands. I grab one of the mug and take a sip. It taste hot and pleasure.

 

"Baekhyun is still in the hospital." Does he also have the same ability like Baekhyun? Because he seems like he is. Well, I did expect Baekhyun to stand there instead of him. 

 

We are drinking the coffee quietly. None of us mutter a word, enjoying the silence and feels the caffeine flow in our body, leaving an effect. I sigh when I did't mean to. It just happened out of my control. My eyes travel on Baekboem's face, observing his facial expression. I wonder what he might be thinking about right in the moment. 

 

Beokbeom look at me with his mouth open slightly, indicates that he is about to say something. But seconds later, his mouth is close. I look away from him, staring at the empty spaces, imagining that I can truly see the particles of the oxygen scatters around. "I am glad that Baekhyun met you," he says out of the blue.

 

I turn my head, creases on my forehead, confuse by his words. On the other hand, Baekbeom looks rather calm and inexpressive.

 

"At least he could find his gift useful. It's funny that he could find a replacement. I thought he love her so much."

 

Her? Does he mean Victoria Song?

 

"You know, his first love is his angel," Baekbeom says, staring straight into my eyes. I can feel that this could lead to somewhere else. And I feel quite uneasy about it.

 

I heard him sighing then take a sip from his coffee. He lift his face, placing the mug on kitchen island. "You should know something but Baekhyun is the right person to tell you about it." Baekbeom keep on sending information into my brain without a decent explainations. If he is planning not to tell me clearly, then he shouldn't mention about it at the first place.

 

I bite my lower lips, feeling insecure. He walk towards me and stop, standing next to me. "Yuni, promise me something. Don't hurt yourself....... and Baekhyun."

 

I nod my head, unaware with what he truly meant. Maybe it's the same thing as what I think of but the possibilities that it isn't the same is high. Why everyone keeps on making promises? What is it that I haven't find out yet?