Jealousy

Mute and Loud

Dear readers, Baekhyun can still read Yuni's mind but at some point, he just couldn't. He haven't lose his gift completely YET. 

 


 

I woke up earlier than expected this morning. I don't know why but it feels good to be an early riser for a day. My school graduation day will be held next week and the final year result will be out by tomorrow morning. I can't deny that I actually feel nervous over this matter. Well, who doesn't? Right...

 

However, this morning haven’t end yet. I'm having breakfast, more likely, sipping our coffee with Baekhyun at our regular cafe. Maybe, it happens to be a habit or perhaps, our date must venue. We are just having a small talk, exchanging some secrets, giving each other a brief stares and smiling when no one is looking. I'm aware that some people are looking at us in the weird way because Baekhyun is doing all the talking which I meant, voicing out when I'm giving him the green light to read my mind.

 

Frankly, I hate it. I hate it when Baekhyun is the victim in this case. I hate it when I know I'm hurting him. I hate when all I possibly do for him is actually equal to nothing. But, I just can't simply do it. Even mentioning his name is hard for me to do, when the urge to do so is strong, I just can't. Unconsciously, a sigh escapes my lips.

 

"Stop sighing. I noticed that you have been an expert at hiding thoughts from me," he says jokingly.

 

I can't hold back my smile. I press my lips together, part it a second later and shakes my head. His eyes shift to his coffee, watching the swirls in it and I can feel it is the same swirls occur in his mind.

 

After we have finish our coffee, we walk out of the cafe, both heading to different ways. I'm going to walk around the neighbourhood while Baekhyun is going to check out some university to further his studies. Well, I have done that earlier than him. But, I'm hoping to get a full scholarship since I have no one that I can rely on to pay for my tuitions fees. I can get a part time job, and it could be hard because no one wants to have a mute worker like me.

 

The morning breeze is something I adore a lot. I love how refreshing and calm it is. Then, I stop but end up walking by when I see the park on my right side. I should get home and starts learning how to talk. It's funny that I finally admit it. And it's more funnier that I don't know where to begin.

 


 

I hear a thud sound of the door from below. Baekhyun is home. I rush down the stairs almost slipping. My lips starts to curve upwards when my eyes catch the sight of my favourite person. I should know by now that I'm too lucky to meet a guy like him and we end up dating in less than a month. Maybe this is what they call love at first sight? But as far as I remember, I hate him when the first time I laid my eyes on him.

 

So, how did we ended up together?

 

Perhaps because we complete each other needs. Baekhyun with his gift, myself for being mute.

 

"I'm hungry. Let's have something to eat," Baekhyun says, wrapping his arms around my waist with his head near my neck. I don't know when he close up the distance but it makes me feel good.

 

I nod my head, making he pulls away the hug. Then, he fills the empty spaces between my fingers, leading the way out of the house. I can't get a clue on where we're heading because he is driving all the way to an unfamiliar road without saying a word. And frankly, I love small surprises. After a solid 15 minutes of journey, Baekhyun finally slowing down the speed and stop in front of a restaurant.

 

It's a restaurant run by an ahjumma with three young workers. We sit down on an empty table at the far back. There is quite many people are filling their stomach as it is already dinner time. A girl around our age stand next to our table with a piece of paper and pen in her hands. She has long legs, pointed nose, an oval-shaped face with a 'S' figure. Her hair is red in coloured, tied into a ponytail. She looks so familiar. I feel like I have seen her before somewhere around here.

 

"May I take your order?" she ask with a bright smile.

 

She look at me and we exchange smile. Then, she turn her head to face Baekhyun, and slowly, that smile on her face fade away. I can see the expression on her face is different from before. It was cheerful and bright, now it's gloomy and grey. Baekhyun is busy with his phone, perhaps replying some texts.

 

"Yuni, what do you want to eat?" he ask, smiling at me before looking back at his phone.

 

My eyes are on the red-haired girl. is open slightly, wanting to say something but fail to do so. I know her.... no, I've seen her before. But why can't I recall anything.

 

Baekhyun lift his face, looking straight into my eyes while his hand shoving his phone into his side pocket. "Yun--"

 

"B-Baekhyun?" she finally voice out.

 

In an instant our head turn around. She is staring at Baekhyun with her brows meet across her forehead, bewildered, confuse but her lips is trying to curve into a small smile.

 

I found Baekhyun’s eyes. He is looking a little bit lost, furrowing. And the only word that come out from his mouth just makes me remember everything, “Krystal?”

 

 

“You remember me?” Krystal ask, looking excited at the same time.

 

“Of course. We used to be classmate and you’re the only person I’m close to,” Baekhyun answer.

 

I don’t feel like I can fit anywhere. It makes me feel small and invisible. There’s a weird feeling twitching in me for the first time. The feeling of insecurities or jealousy? I don’t even know if it have the same meaning with different spelling. I’m new in this whole relationship world and no one ever taught me about dating before.

 

“Krystal, meet my girlfriend, Yuni,” Baekhyun says as my cheeks starts to blush.

 

I flash a smile towards her for the second time but it’s a little bit awkward this time. Her face looks pretty with that smile on it. Even though I don’t know her, from my point of view, everything about her looks so perfect from head to toe. She has all every girls wanted, the kind of attraction that could overwhelm other ladies.

 

“Oh! So, it’s you. We met before. Do you remember? That night at the ice cream vendor with Tao?”

 

I thought she has already forgot about it seems it doesn’t sounds so important to her. I only nod my head. The corner of my eyes catch Baekhyun’s face, heating up a little bit when he heard the name, Tao.

 

After Krystal took our order, she head to the kitchen. Now, Baekhyun and I are alone again. I try to avoid his stares as possible as I could. I know he will be mad if he knows the whole story about Tao saving me that night during the attack at the back alley. But, I would love to keep it as a secret for now. Just let it stay sealed in my mouth for a while.

 

I wait, wait and wait until our food has arrive. Baekhyun don’t even mention a word. He is focusing on his meal, stealing few seconds to look at his phone while his mouth his stuffed with food. I bite my lower lips, hoping for him to at least say something. It’s much more comforting for me if he yell at me rather than this silent treatment.

 

This is not the first silent treatment that he ever give to me. Somehow, I feel like in our relationship, there’s a point where we gave each other a silent treatment when we had a misunderstanding. Is this a habit in a relationship? Because if it does, it caused a lot of pain more than trust.

 

Dinner ends in 15 minutes without a sound. Baekhyun seems to find his voice when he is having a conversation with Krystal and they seems close. Like close, close. More than a normal friend. Do they used to date in the past?

 

I hate curiosity.

 

We arrived home before 8. Baekhyun is sitting on the sofa with his both legs landing casually on the side. I approach him, stop briefly within every single step. His eyes are glued to the television screen which is currently broadcasting the news.

 

Once I stand next to him, I move his leg one by one away from the couch. I’m surprised that he actually comply to my action. Baekhyun ends up sitting properly on the sofa. I sit next to him, gradually moving closer to him. Baekhyun don’t even bother to look at me or give a small reaction. He treat me like I isn’t there.

 

Baekhyun…

 

Of course he ain’t going to answer me.

 

Baekhyun… Much softer this time.

 

Baekhyun… Much much much softer.

 

Baekh---

 

He hold my shoulder, pinning me to the couch, making me lie down with my back completely. I try to move but he is way stronger than me. I end up giving up, watching his eyes staring deeply into mine.

 

“You’re too cute. I can’t even stay mad at you,” he says.

 

I-I’m sorry about Tao.

 

“You should tell me earlier. I don’t even know how you guys met.”

 

Well, h-he kinda save me…

 

“Save you?” his eyes are wide open.

 

Y-yes… But---

 

“When? Why?”

 

I’ll tell you if you get off me first.

 

“No,” he says with a smirk.

 

Baekhyun lean closer to me until our nose meet. I freeze, gulping down a hairy ball in my throat.

 

“It’s suppose to be easy if you have tell me earlier but you’re the one who is making it hard.”

 

Oh boy… This doesn't sounds good.