Darkness

Mute and Loud

 

The clock ticking, the moon light emerge through the sun weak rays as I am staring from the window at the stars hidden behind the clouds. It was a waste. The worker, a lady at the coffee shop who knows my mom said that she haven't seen her a while. I lost track of her. It feels like the path towards her is slowly vanish from my sight. I wonder if she really want to abandon me, leave me and go with that man.

 

A sigh escape my lips. I get out of the room, looking for Baekhyun. I close the door behind me, feeling uneasy. The door of Baekhyun's room opposite my room is shut close. I approach his room and knock on the door. But there is no answer. I knock again, still there is no respond. Maybe he's downstairs.

 

I walk down the stairs, seeing the television at the living room is turn on. Baekhyun is sitting with his back facing me on the black leather L shape sofa. I always end up looking at his back whenever I was searching for him. After a few steps ahead, I am standing next to the sofa. There is a laptop, few revision books(some are stacks up and some are open to random pages) and a pencil case on the coffee table in front of him. The only thing I could think of is, is he studying for the final exam?

 

I glance at him, eyes still attach to the television. He seems that he isn't aware of my presence or act like he did't. My stomach suddenly making a weird sound. I look at the clock, hanging on the wall on top of the television. It is already time to feed myself. I used to skip dinner but today have to be an exception since I already skipped lunch earlier.

 

I walk pass the sofa, heading to the kitchen while rubbing my empty stomach. A list of different kind of meal that I could possibly cook pop up in my mind. It depends if the ingredients needed are available. I'm a good cooker. Not to mention I spent most of my time home alone cooking, trying hundreds of different recipe from different countries. It is a hobby that I like to do a lot besides watching movies for hours continuously.

 

I open the double door fridge, making myself at home. There are meats, eggs, some greens, side dishes pack into containers and snacks. Galbi sounds appetizing but where the heck am I going to grill it on. Perhaps beef pancake. But I feel like eating kimchi fried rice. What should I have for dinner? Maybe I could ask Baekhyun.

 

I close the fridge and turn around lazily. My body is being push and pin to the door of the fridge. I look up to find Baekhyun staring at me with his hand on the fridge while the other one holding my shoulder. He lean closer and closer, tilting his head to the side a bit.

 

I close my eyes, seeing him this close may lead to the next level of our friendship. Well, I'm not expecting it to happen but if so, I don't want it to happen this abrupt. I mean, we just met and I do agree that living under the same roof with a boy could be inviting a special relationship.

 

"I'm...." he say, breathing heavily.

 

I bite my lips, opening my eyes slowly. He is still there, taking advantage to close the distance between us. I push myself back, hitting the cold surface of the fridge.

 

Baekhyun lips curved upwards, looking away and end up laughing. That's weird. He stand up straight, hands shoving into his pockets.

 

"I'm hungry. What's for dinner?"

 

Seriously. If I could stop the time, I will do it and make sure that he is cover with bruises all over his pretty face. All of that intimate gesture just to say that he is hungry. He could just shout from the living room that he want to eat or something. Baekhyun is indeed random.

 

I let out a sigh. Do you like ramen? I open the top cabinet, finding two packets of ramen along with teas and coffees.

 

He nod his head excitedly. Of course he would like ramen. I mean who doesn't. It is the most popular and the fastest meal ever been invented. Whoever came out of the idea to create it is a genius. The MSG can be used for almost everything. But I, as a true cooker, I only use it whenever I am only short of time. I grab a pot from the other cabinet and fill it with water.

 

"Lets have ramen while doing the history assignment together. I already pile up all the books needed at the front," he says, looking at me placing the pot on the stove.

 

So the books are meant for the assignments not for him to study. Thought so. It will be rare to find him attach to books because he did't seems like he is that type of student. I don't know if he did well in his studies at his previous school but who knows. Anything could happen. Baekhyun head back to the living room, leaving me with my cooking.

 


 

Dinner went quite well. Now, all that left to do is get our hands on the homework. I stare at the books on top of the coffee table before looking at Baekhyun sitting on the floor right across of me, facing the television. I grab one of the book, title, 'History of Joseon' and start reading it from a particular page. I don't need to read the whole book. It's not like I am writing a review about that book. I'm just extracting some useful information from the it.

 

Hours passed by jointing down facts and ideas, writing the essays, drinking coffee and staring at the clock. My elbow is resting on the coffee table with my chin prop on top of my fist. It starts to bored me like what happened at Yuri's birthday party. But this time is different. My eyes are heavier than it used to be. I feel that I can just simply pass out any minute. I sit up, straighten my back, stretch my arms out, bend my neck towards each side and popping my knuckles. Much better.

 

I smile when I see Baekhyun is sleeping with his head land on his arm. I thought I'm the only one who feel this way but seems like someone has already somewhere in his dreamland. I lean closer, to take a better look on his sleeping face.

 

I wave my hand ensuring that he is totally unconscious of my action. And yes, he did't noticed that. My finger is poking his bubbly cheek and drawing circles on it. I giggle when he is still sleeping. Then, my finger travel down to his lips. I stop moving. Not sure what am going to do about that red tempting lips.

 

My finger touch his corner upper lips lightly, moving across the other corner. Honestly, I don't even know what am I doing right now? Is it really me who did that or my other side?

 

I wince when Baekhyun shrug like a baby follow by his eyes being open widely. He lift his head, looking at me in confuse. I widen my eyes and pull my finger away from his lips. But before I manage to do so, Baekhyun snatch my wrist. I gulp, hoping that he didn't know what just happened. I'll be dead in humiliation if he does. Sometimes Baekhyun could be really good in being sarcastic.

 

"Wish to ki---"

 

The whole house is blackout. Even the television is switched off. My eyes are searching for Baekhyun, standing on his feet. The light coming from the outside is the only source for me to see clearly. It’s funny that his house is the only one that don’t have the electricity. Something is not right. I can feel it running through my vein.

 

"Yuni, go upstairs and stay in my room. Lock the door as well," he order, making me even more puzzle. "Now!!" he shout. It’s the first time he raise his voice at me.

 

I run towards the stairs, eyes locking at Baekhyun walking towards the kitchen. I rush up the stairs and even foolishly hit my knee with the edge of the glass stairs. It hurt but not as much as my aching heart for being yelled by Baekhyun. I stand up and run into his room.

 

It’s dark. My hands are hanging searching for the wall to lead me to his room. I walk along the way with my hand touching the wall until I can feel a door. I go inside the room and close the door, sitting down next to his bed, hugging my knees tightly with my head lower down. I don't exactly know what is happening but all I know is I need Baekhyun...

 

I heard a loud thud coming from downstairs. It sound like something fell onto the floor. I don't really know what is happening to Baekhyun. I want to find him. No, I need to find him. I hate being alone in darkness. But, I know that I have to stay in here like what Baekhyun told me too. 

 

After a few minutes of waiting, I start to feel insecure. The sound is gone. It's silence. Now, I really need to find Baekhyun. I stand up and the door is being push from the outside. Baekhyun.

 

I can't really tell if it's him because I feel like it's just getting darker in here. I walk ahead, trying to see him more closer. He is also taking few steps ahead untill I shriek. The man grab my waist and cover my mouth with his hand. It's not like I'm going to shout but I plan to and I know I can't to. 

 

I try to move but he whisper, "Stay put or I kill you." I can feel a knife been point at my left torso. My hands are shivering, my body feel numb. Baekhyun.... Baekhyun.... I don't know how many times have I call his name. Can't he hear me? 

 

"Your mom is right. You're mute and beautiful," he says, hugging my waist tightly. 

 

Mom? What all of this have to do with mom?