What’s Important

It Takes Only Three Leaders for a Change

*No poll*

---

After TOP had wrapped Bom’s hand with bandages, he left her alone and took a shower. Bom sat on her couch with her legs crossed while thinking about what happened earlier. The anger and annoyance she felt when CL was talking to TOP, the feeling of no pain when she broke that cup under her bare hand-that is until Minji mentioned it. What was all that about? She snorted to herself and bit her lip. It was his fault. He had the nerve to laugh and talk with another pretty girl in front of her. They were so close, and so free with each other. Yet all she got was his amazingly sturdy scowl and reserved attitude. TOP touched CL’s fricking hand! And even though CL was busy with her own student, Bom couldn’t help but feel…a burning sensation in her face and her chest, her strength doubled and her nose scrunched. Standing, Bom made her way to her kitchen and grabbed a glass from the counter, pouring herself some water. She brought it to her lips, only to have it rip apart from her hand, “YAH!”

TOP gulped it down and looked at it, shrugging, “Sorry. I thought it was some vodka.” He smiled and handed her back the cup, “I don’t want you drunk at night. Worst combo ever.” Bom snatched the glass back and got herself more water, rolling her eyes, “So what exactly happened earlier with your hand?”

She bit her lip and quickly said, “My hand slipped. Sorry to uh…make you worry.”

He brushed his fingers through his hair and shrugged, “It’s ok. Just don’t be too clumsy, I can’t handle too many wounds you know.” It was that same straight face. Will that all she ever get from him?

“Hey.” She said.

“Yeah?”

“Um…what’s your relationship with CL?”

Even at the mention of her name-he smiled and looked at Bom, “She’s like my sister. My little sister, I watch over her and I’m there when she needs to vent on me.”

Bom wrinkled her brows, “Since when did someone like CL need to vent on you?”

He blinked and rested his hand on the counter, “You know, CL has some of the biggest and toughest walls a girl could put up to protect herself. I know for a fact that CL has never shown her true self to anyone but her follow Leaders-me and Taeyang. There are times when she’s especially stressed, since her job is the hardest and Taeyang and I are her only friends we want to help her out.”

“She doesn’t have any other friends?”

He nervously chuckled, “Well, CL isn’t exactly the most welcoming type. And we three were around each other constantly. Becoming friends was just natural.” TOP blinked and scratched his ear, “She’s really a fun person if you get to know her. But people are too scared of the person she is on the outside rather than the inside. It’d be nice if she can make some female friends, I think Taeyang and I make her have that scary image.”

Bom tapped her fingers on her glass and smiled, “Well, what if I become her friend?”

“That’d be cool, but CL doesn’t like to make attachments to things she’s bound to forget.” TOP said and stepped to the couch, sighing, “That’s just who she is.”

Holding up a finger, Bom called out to him, “Wait, what are you talking about?”

“Oh. Well, after each job, the Leaders have to erase your memories of us. Otherwise, we’d be all over the news and in the papers and on the web. It’s better to keep us a secret.” He plopped down on the couch and threw his head back, rubbing his temples before continuing, “It’s ok though, our students still go on like those traits were forever theirs.”

Her heart sank a little, but she ignored it, “So, that’s why CL doesn’t like making friends down here.”

“Better yet, she tries to stay as far away as possible with her students.” His eyes glazed over, “If she gets too close, she’s afraid that she won’t be able to pull away.”

Bom sat next to him, “What’s so wrong with that? Doesn’t she want to make memories?”

TOP bit his lip-making Bom smile a little, “CL isn’t that kind of person. The more memories she has, the more she can’t just move on. It won’t matter on the situation, but she’s afraid she just won’t move on from it because of memories and that’s the girl she is. To forgive and forget. With anything in her way, she’ll stop to think and may not forget.”

“She sounds complicated.” Bom said, resting her hand on her lap.

The man next to her laughed, “Yea. But that’s ok, I don’t think anyone still has figured her out.” He clapped his hands and looked at her, “Enough with CL. It’s time to get to you again.” TOP reached down in his pockets and wiggled a pack of cigarettes next to his face, “Found these in the bathroom. You smoke?”

She stuttered, “Well-I mean-I-…Yeah. I smoke.”

Shaking his head, TOP tossed it on the table, “No more.”

“Do you know how hard it is to quit smoking?!” She complained, reaching for the pack.

He took it back and nodded, “Yes. I was a smoker when I was a human.” She raised a brow and he nodded, “It’s true. It did take a while, but I managed to quit. Now also, I heard you’ve been moving on from job to job a lot.” Bom nodded and he laughed, “Let’s change that. I want you to stay at this job for at least a week. Then quit if you want.”

“Ok. I don’t think I’m gonna quit anytime soon anyway.”

“How come?” He asked, folding his hands together on his lap.

“I like working with Minji. She’s a nice girl.” Bom said, wandering her eyes around her home. TOP waved his hand and plucked a folder from mid-air, “Oh damn it. Is that the folder with all the info on me?”

He nodded, “Good eyes.” He said sarcastically, making her stick out her tongue and roll her eyes. Opening it, he picked up a paper from the middle and looked at her, “At this paper, it says you came from a wealthy family. You’re what people call ‘old money’.”

Bom shrugged, “Well…yeah. Old gang business my great grandfather ran. It’s still going on for about eighty years, but my younger brother takes care of it. He sends me money every now and then.”

“I didn’t know you had a younger brother, Bom. It doesn’t say anything about that, it says you’re an only child.”

She shuffled her fingers, “Appa was involved in an affair scandal and it was quickly dismissed. But it was true, he and another woman conceived a child together, which was my brother, Jay. Girls weren’t allowed to take over the business, and I’m Jay’s legal guardian now since his mother died a few years ago. So I gave it to him.”

TOP bit his lip, “Do you still have any jurisdiction over the business?” He asked, raising his glasses to the bridge of his nose.

“Well, I am the eldest. So yes, I do have most of the rights. Even if it is a secret business.” Bom gulped, and chuckled, “But, selling all sorts of goods to gangs isn’t exactly something I could handle-nor is it my style.”

He leaned closer to her, “It is a family business. I suggest you take over.”

She scoffed, surprised, “Aren’t you the ‘Leader of Intelligence’?!” She even put quotations with her fingers to exaggerate her point, “You want me to get involved in gangs and weapons?! Do you know how bad that is?! Me and a weapon! That’s worse than alcohol at night!” She threatened, eyes blazing with fear and shock.

Holding his hands in defense, TOP quickly explained his side, “Look, it isn’t my first proposal, it may seem really bad. But, it’s a family business, and it sounded like a good money maker. Plus, it says you’re a natural sharp shooter in your profile.”

Bom ignored her blushing cheeks and pressed on, “You knew that and yet you’re pushing my buttons until they’re all gone?” Her voice was curt and dangerous, a lot like CL’s when she was mad. The comparison made him laugh out loud, “What’s so funny?”

He shook his head and smiled at her, “Maybe you’re not that different from CL.”

“I-look, I can’t take on that business.”

“Why not? Shouldn’t it be better that direct family blood take over the business? Other than a love child?”

Bom sighed and raised her finger, “Ok, don’t go any further. You know, Jay may be some ‘love child’ to the public and to society, but to me, he’s my little brother. I may have spent my entire life with someone else who treated me like a Noona but Jay will always mean more to me. I missed out on twenty-three years of his life. I will never get that back. And I plan to make the most of everything. He’s my only family left and I’m his. So try to insult him again and you’ll experience my sharp shooting.”

Not fazed at all, TOP took off his glasses and looked at Bom. His gaze was as sharp as the cup that had cut her without those on, “It was a test Bom. Calm down a little, I just wanted to see what he was to you.” She leaned back and glared at him, “Aish. Look, I know my theories of teaching you are odd. But trust me, give that brother a call and talk to him about the business.” He took her glass of water and sipped from it, “You need a steady job to support you more than that waitress salary. And a family business is just perfect.”

Bom brushed her hair back and sighed, “You think so?”

“Yeah. I heard you don’t have the best grades, and no job is gonna hire someone with only average grades. This business may be your fall back.” He said, “It’s family ran, it’s got to be in your blood to be a good gang leader if it’s been in business for eighty years.”

She punched his arm, not expecting much harm, “I’m telling you! People won’t take me seriously as a female gang leader.”

“Does it matter? Bom this is about you, not what people think about you. If it’s good pay, take it. It’s your family, there’s no question you’re bound to get respect.”

Bom groaned, “I hate it…that you’re right.”

TOP smiled again and she smiled back, “How about I cook dinner? A reward for you coming to your senses.” She kicked his leg as he walked past her and scowled, “Hey. Call your brother.”

Pulling out her phone, Bom called out, “Calling him right now.” She pressed the phone against her ear and waited patiently before hearing her brother’s bright voice to call out.

“Yo! What’s up Noona? I’m at work right now, so make it quick please.”

She smiled, “Jay…I was thinking…can I come to talk to you tomorrow at the hideout?”

“Oh? How come? Am I in trouble?”

Laughing, she responded, “No. I just want to talk about the business. Is that ok?”

He replied fast, “Oh yeah. Anything for you Noona. Come by for lunch, I should be having no appointments at that time. Good?”

“Yeah. Bye Jay, I’ll see you tomorrow.” She hung up and sighed, “Wanna come with me to see him?”

TOP exhaled deeply, “I don’t know…I don’t think it’s smart for me to go over there. It’d be too many minds to erase-“

Bom cut in, “It’s your idea. Plus, you have a car. Come on. Please? I don’t wanna go alone, all the guys in there give me looks, and it’d be better to have you by my side.”

“Why?”

She stared at him like it was obvious, “Because you look intimidating. And Jay isn’t enough protection. Please TOP. Please.” She cupped her hands together and pouted, making him scoff.

“Fine. Since you’re right, it is my idea and I do have a car.” He looked back at her again and smiled, “And I do look intimidating. Oh, by the way, I have a tip for those men who look at you.” Bom’s eyes sparkled with interest, “Keep your eyes forward, scowl, and don’t give them anything to talk about. Like no short skirts and no smoking.”

She jokingly asked, “Is that what you do?”

 

He looked at her and waved the knife in his hand threateningly, “Don’t push it.”