HMS-6

Heart Made of Steel

“Ma’am, this is Mr. Kim Joonmyun...“

“The eligible son of Director Kim. It is kind to finally meet you, Mr. Kim,” I complimented him before extending my hand. He is the older son of Director Kim, currently running the corporations of his father.

“I am delighted as well,” he smiled and shook my hands. From what Ms. Kim gave me, I saw that he is the same age as me. A graduate of Seoul University—Suma Cumlaude.

“How is Director Kim doing?” I started a conversation when the elevator door opened. We walked in.

“To tell you honestly, he’s not doing good. I think he’s getting pretty old,” he smiled though it didn’t reach his eyes.

“Is this the start of a new era then? Now, I do think I’m getting old,” I remarked and he chuckled.

“That was odd. When I tell people this, they usually say ‘Oh, I’m sorry’ or ‘Don’t worry, he’s going to be well soon’,” he then laughed from under his breath.

“Oh, is that the right thing to say?” I asked confused. Did I insult him?

“No, no! It was just that I—“ *ting* the elevator door opened, he wasn’t able to continue what he was saying when the other employees greeted him.

“Oh my gooood! He’s more handsome in personal!!/ He looks like an angel~/ How can someone be so handsome and filthy rich at the same time??” I heard the girls squeal. I looked at Mr. Kim and he smiled awkwardly. I’ll just have to reprimand these women later for acting that way.

“Shhh! Aren’t you ashamed, be professional,” finally Ms. Kim did me the job and soon the employees went back to their cubicles.

“I’m sorry for that,” I apologized.

“No, it’s fine… I remember this place,” He commented when we entered my office.

“I assume you’ve met Mr. Co” he was the COO before me. Maybe if he was actually performing well, I could’ve sympathized when he has no choice but to leave because his contract ended. I could’ve, but didn’t—I think he was able to stay so long just because he’s a friend of Appa.

“No. But this was the office of your father before. My father used to do some business with him, and sometimes he let me come here,” he was looking everywhere, touching the side of every tables, chairs with the tip of his index finger. Wow, how come I’ve never remembered him.

I opened the bigger compartment of my deska and when I finally found the blueprints, my focus was back on him only to find out that he was just looking… and still standing.

“Oh, sorry. Please have a sit,” I smiled apologetically.

“You are one workaholic woman. Have you been with anyone?” he asked a personal question, but I let it off and smiled.

“I did, but it didn't work out. Here are the blueprints Mr. Kim,” I handed him the blueprints and watched him as he scan through the pages.

Just then Ms. Kim entered the room offering the both of us coffee. After that she left. “For a first proposal, this is fine,” I think I almost stopped breathing when he said the last word. FINE. It pinned through me, but I tried to keep my composure.

“This, I believe, is rushed. If you won’t mind, please ask your architects for a redo. Or if they wouldn’t accept any compromise, breach the contract,” he straightforwardly said every word. All the time, he kept his tone in formality.

“Excuse me Mr. Kim, but do you know that if we breach this contract, we’ll pay for damages. Suing them because you think this is rushed, in any way you see it, they are prejudiced,” I questioned him trying to keep my tone in moderation. He is out of his mind.

“I know—“

“—then we are not breaching any contract,” I cut him off and gave off a sarcastic smile.

“Breaching the contract, as I said, was an option. If they don’t accept any compromise. You must be able to see the long run. The damages you’ll pay will more than offset the annual expense this project will cost you if you accept... this,” just then his phone beeped. But he’s right. I never really thought the blueprints are outstanding myself.

“I have given you my opinion, Ms. Kim. I don’t even think you’re satisfied with this. I must leave,” he took the blueprints and we both stood up. He excused himself, but I insisted to usher him towards the elevator.

He pulled out something from his wallet. I found out it was his calling card and he gave it to me. “It was nice meeting you, Ms. Kim. I hope we’ll be good friends… I work better with friends,” the elevator door opened.

Kim Joonmyun. CEO of CKD company. I stared at the small white paper in front of me. His name is printed in gold. Very simple.

Another calling card. I grabbed my phone and saved Mr. Kim’s number. How many calling cards have I received since the first time I’ve stepped as the COO of this company? I remember my dad giving me his calling card. I was 8 years old that time and it was the first calling card I’ve received. I remembered being really happy that time; I thought it was the most precious thing in the world.

I pulled the compartment at the right side of my desk, and placed it on the compiled calling cards I’ve received from random people. I remember Mr. Park's calling card. Come to think of it, I haven’t seen him for a week. Good.

I turned my seat and stared at the wide horizon in front of me. I am surrounded with buildings, built by very powerful people. This is the life I was made for, and I always believe this is the life I ever wanted.

 



Woohoo. New character!! Please do comment! :)