HMS-16

Heart Made of Steel

 

A week has passed and my dad’s still in a coma. My office is the hospital. I work here, and sometimes Joonmyeon visits me… he would update me about the progress of the construction. Some other times, Ms. Kim will visit my dad and buy me food, and every day I have the same visitor—Park Chanyeol.

I opened my laptop and checked my mail. A new mail has been sent for me, just a few hours ago… from Kang Heechul, the person I paid for to monitor Choi Eunjee.

SUBJECT: Update about Choi Eunjee

She’s living three blocks from the coast. She wakes up every four o’clock in the morning to go to the market and cook some breakfast for her five kids. Then she’ll walk her kids to a public school 4 km from their house before walking another 5 km to the preschool she’s teaching at. After 3 she’ll go back to fetch her kids and then they’ll return to their home. At about 4:00 they’ll be at home and then she’ll prepare for her night work as a waitress in the nearby food chain. She’ll be back at about 9 when her children will be waiting for her so that they’ll be able to eat dinner together. The same routine will be—“

“Yah! What are you doing there?” I quickly slammed close my macbook when I heard Chanyeol. He looked surprised from my sudden reaction and then he bent so that his eye level could match mine, and he looked at me with narrowed eyes.

“Yah! You’re watching ?” he then raised his left eyebrow with an accusing look. I think my mouth dropped and formed “O”. He then lifted my chin up to close it.

“What? It’s just that your face was like two-inches near the screen, what do you think should I be thinking?” he said defensively.

“What are you doing here?” I creased my brows.

“Visiting President Lee, what else?” he bluntly said as he stood back straight again.

“Again,” I didn’t make it sound like a question.

“What? He pays me bigtime, this is the least I could do. Where should I put this?” he asked me another question. He was holding a plastic of fruits and he’s finding it difficult to locate a place to where he should put them because the refrigerator’s full… from the fruits he brought when he visits every single day.

“Just put it there,” I gestured the table next to my dad’s bed and he obeyed.

"Hey, aren’t you sleeping?” he asked when I yawned. I’m pretty tired. After working, I added another load—Choi Eunjee. I just shook my head.

“Whatever, I don’t buy it,” he said bluntly. Right, he is Park Chanyeol. Even if I said I’m not tired a million times, he’ll only believe what he wants to believe.

“Sleep, I won’t leave,” he said and I rejected his offer.

“I said sleep. Don’t be stubborn, sleep. I’ll wake you up when he wakes up. Right President Lee? You’ll wake up soon, right?” he said. I rolled my eyes because it’s 80% impossible dad wakes up today. But I didn’t fight with him. Besides, I think I really need to sleep anyway.

 

Another week has passed. “When are you waking up, dad?” I held his hand and pressed it lightly. I rested my head on my free arm and was about to take a nap when…

“I’m here!” I heard that voice. Park Chanyeol.

“You never get tired of visiting are you?” I didn’t even need to lift my head up to greet him. Besides, I now it’s definitely him. Who else would own that annoying voice?

“Hey! I have a surprise,” he sat opposite of me as he also leaned his head on my dad’s bedside. His face was at least 4 inches away from me. I could’ve pushed his face away but I’m too tired to move, this day really exhausted me.

“I’d rather sleep, but what is it?” I softly said. I really feel tired… very tired.

“Look,” he sat straight and then he brought out a cake. I found some energy to sit with my palm supporting my chin to look at it. The first thing I noticed was the number 22-candle on top of the cake.

Happy Birthday Miss COO!! Love, the real Park Chanyeol.

“What is that? Is there an artificial Park Chanyeol?” I pointed at the word real and laughed softly. I can’t seem to have the energy to laugh as much.

“Well, after that contract he existed. But this comes from the genuine one,” he explained himself and I just nodded.

“Thanks, but my birthday’s still tomorrow. You’re very excited,” I told him and he just nodded.

“I know. But visitors aren’t allowed after 10. You should light this up when the clock strikes 12,” he anticipated that question.

“Ah,” I just nodded. He made sense. He then closed the box and put it on the near shelf while I returned to my leaning position. I closed my eyes.

I woke up in a comfortable position. I slowly opened my eyes and saw that I’m lying on the guardian's bed, with a blanket covering me. “You’re awake?” I almost sat immediately when I saw Chanyeol sitting beside and watching me.

“What time—“

“Yah, I told you to sleep! You’re taking care of your dad, I know, but you should not neglect yourself okay? And happy birthday!" he pushed me back to my lying position.

“How did I… Who put this blanket…?” I couldn’t find myself to finish what I’m trying to say.

“You were really exhausted so you catch a slight fever, good thing I was there. Geez, you really scared me. How are you feeling?” he explained while touching my forehead.

“I feel better… thanks,” I honestly said, and I slowly lifted my back to sit while he helped me.

“Hungry?” he asked while offering me an apple. I shook my head and politely declined.

“What time is it?” I asked again.

“6 in the morning,” he said while he walked away to get the same box he brought yesterday. With the help of a lighter, he put on a little fire on the candle and he started singing Happy Birthday. I laughed because he looked so awkward.

“What did you wish for?” he asked after I blew the candle out.

“Huh?” I creased my forehead and he returned me the same reaction.

“Don’t tell me you just blew that thing off without wishing?” he asked like I did something horrible.

“Oh, I forgot,” I grinned. Of course I know I should wish, it’s just that I don’t really blow candles on my birthday so I forgot.

“You forgot,” he repeated while facepalming himself.

“*sigh* Nope, this won’t do. We’ll do it again,” before I could say anything he lighted the candle again and sang me the same song. It took me so long… I couldn’t think of anything to wish.

“Yah… this can’t melt forever,” he was asking me to hurry up.

“I’ll let you wish for me instead,” I finally said and he plainly looked at me.

“I don’t know what to wish, help me,” I continued and his face softens.

“I can’t believe you have hard time with wishes. Okay… hm? I wish that you will ask me to breach that contract,” he said and he’s gesturing me to blow the candle. I narrowed my eyes and shook my head.

“What?” he asked innocently.

“That will never come true,” I was still shaking my head.

“Fine then. Hmm…” he was thinking so hard, and I can’t help but laugh.

“What? I don’t want to waste this wish… wait, I’ll think of something,” he said and I just amusingly looked at him. He blew the candle without another word.

“What? What did you wish for?” I asked him in curiosity.

“ I wish… it’s a secret,” he smiled cheekily and I creased my eyebrows.

“Don’t worry, it’s worth the wish. I’ll grab some plate, let’s eat this,” he said and then he pinched my cheek even before I could react. He just giggled so I threw him the pillow near me.

 


Yay! Update for you guys... Just because I don't know how to survive this week and the week after! It's the start of our hell week... Waa!! Comments are loved <3