HMS-18

Heart Made of Steel

 

“Are you hurt? I’m sorry, Minji must have a bad day. I’m terribly, terribly sorry,” she kept on examining my face when I found the courage to slap it away. Surprisingly, she looked more worried than angry. She went closer to me again and then she cradled my cheek.

“I won’t hurt you… it’s okay,” she whispered to me.

“Don’t touch me…!” I pushed her away.

Just then, a familiar voice shouted my name from behind. I turned to look at him. What is he doing here?

“There you are,” he smiled warmly as he hugged me… tight… and then tighter before he released.

“What are you doing here?” I asked him, curiosity was evident in my tone.

“Hello," he ignored my question. He greeted her and she greeted him back. He held my hand tightly, and for some reason I let him be.

“She wasn’t able to eat her meal. Please follow me, we don’t have much, but it’s my way of apology,” she gestured us to follow her and when Chanyeol started walking, I let him drag me.

We were greeted by five kids…her children. “Mama~ you’re back!” a skinny girl, maybe at the age of four run towards her.

“Who are they, mama?” then the eldest, I think, asked her when he saw us.

“They are visitors, Chunji,” she kissed him on the cheek, and then she kissed her other kids.

“Please come in, let’s have some dinner,” she invited us in, and I just stayed behind Chanyeol.

“Here. I don’t know if you eat that, but it’s not meat,” she served me and Chanyeol a piece of fish. They only have 3 pieces of fish on their table, but she still gave us two.

“Thanks you for these,” Chanyeol thanked her and he immediately ate with them.

“You’re not eating?” he asked me.

“I’m not hungry. What are you doing here?” I asked him again. I'm not letting him get out of this.

“I worried. Come on, at least eat something, here, let me,” he offered me some flesh from the fish and was waiting for me to eat it.

“I said I’m not hungry,” I told him slowly.

“Just one bite. Chunji’s cooking is awesome!!” he said while smiling and then I realized everyone was looking at me. I slowly opened my mouth and allowed myself to be fed by him.

“Ahjumma, please have her share. We’ll share this one, thank you,” Chanyeol told her. She declined first but then Chanyeol insisted.  I didn't even have to blink, the fish was gone before I could even swallow the food in my mouth.

“Unnie, is your boyfriend an actor?” Naeun, the second to the eldest ask and I saw Chanyeol giggle.

“He isn’t my boyfriend,” I told her honestly and they all looked amazed.

“See. They even think it’s a shame we’re not a couple. Should we turn to be one then?” Chanyeol nonchalantly said and everyone laughed except me. I'm in no mood to even react.

And then I was left alone. Chanyeol offered to wash the dishes.

“I’m sorry about what happened earlier. I hope it wouldn’t affect your view of this place,” I heard Eunjee tell me. She’s cradling her four-year-old child.

“I separate people from places,” I told her.

“Do you regret anything in your life?” I asked her before looking at the night sky above us.

“Regret...?” she chuckled. “I guess no one can escape from regrets,” she continued.

“Really? Mind telling me about it?” I asked again.

“It’s actually my first regret… when I loved the right person at the wrong time,” she paused before uttering the last phrase. It wasn’t even that she left her daughter! No, she doesn’t regret it.

“Loved the right person at the wrong time?” I repeated, sounding like I mocked her. I stayed oblivious.

“Because of loving, I was able to neglect someone I shouldn’t… I neglected my daughter,” she continued. I don’t want to hear anymore, but I couldn’t seem to move.

“You know what, maybe she’s the same age as you,” she combed my hair with her hand. I’m her and you don’t even realize it.

“You didn’t do anything about it?” I still asked another question.

“I did… but then I realized I can’t do anything. I stayed four years with the most powerful man I’ve ever known. He took away my every right of her,” irony was in her tone, I sarcastically laughed from her response. I can’t believe her.

“You think I’m kidding?” she chuckled.

“I know, it’s pretty unbelievable. But that’s really my story. Everyday, I am thinking about her, and imagining how she has become… and hoping she’ll be able to find me… before I leave this world…” she stated.

“…but I wouldn’t blame her if she wouldn’t. Maybe she doesn't even know I exist, maybe she has a new mama now... I don't even know how she looks like,” I looked at her and a tear fell from her right eye. She immediately wiped it with her right palm. Why are you crying when you left me in the first place??

 

“Ahjumma, thanks for the dinner,” Chanyeol suddenly sat next to me.

“We’ll be leaving,” I stood up.

“Oh, have a goodnight sleep. And oh, we’ve been talking but I never got your name? I am Choi Eunjee.” she asked us.

“My name is Park Chanyeol,” Chanyeol introduced himself first.

“Nice meeting you, Chanyeol,” she hugged him.

“I am… my name is…” I can’t tell her.

I didn’t wait for her to say anything, or do anything. I turned around and run until I can no longer feel my feet. I hate her. She keeps on lying!

Before I could hit the ground a pair of strong arms caught me. That was the last thing I remembered.

When I woke up, I was on the bed of the hotel I checked-in for. I internally panicked, searching for Chanyeol, but he wasn’t here. I was about to panic again, thinking what could have happened to him, but then I heard a knocking from the door.

“Chanyeol,” I almost gasped from immediately standing to open the door quickly. I think I got dizzy; I also think my astigmatism helped.

“Hey, are you okay?” he sounded worried as he suddenly held my arms so that I could find my balance.

“What happened?” I didn’t answer his question; instead, I asked him something I wanted to know the time I woke up today.

“You fainted. Good thing, there’s a keychain logo of this hotel on the key… sorry, I think it was the right time to check your bag,” he explained, looking apologetically.

I chuckled from his response while looking sarcastic, and he creased his forehead from confusion. “You apologize for that, but not when you followed me through here. I’m guessing you trespassed my territory. How the hell could you find me?” I told him bluntly and he automatically looked elsewhere. Bingo.

“I… uh… I was just… I thought it was a business matter… and you know, I’ve nothing to do... So, I followed… uh, I thought you needed assistance… and uh—“ I didn’t let him finish whatever explanation he has. I’m too tired to listen to his useless alibis anyway, so I slammed the door close.

“Are you done packing your things, we have a flight to catch!” he shouted. I almost forgot I have to go back to Seoul. There must be some good reason to why this skyscraper knocked on my door.

“I know,” I shouted back and I could hear the sound of his descending chuckle as well as his footsteps.

When we stepped outside the hotel, it’s raining hard. Is there a storm?

“Is there a storm?” I heard Chanyeol ask me. I shook my head, thinking it was my same question. “If there is then, flights from and to Busan will be canceled right?” he asked and I was alarmed. No, it can’t. I have to go back.

“No. It’s just rain, it will end soon,” I couldn’t even hear any conviction in my voice. But I need to go back to Seoul. The hotel driver was kind enough to drive us to the airport.

Now for the weather….The low pressure area that was on the part of east of South Korea yesterday has already turned into a storm. Storm signal number 1 is ____ on Seoul……. However, storm signal has been raised from 1 to 2 in the province of Busan..... all flights from the said places will be canceled until the storm has passed.

What the? No. Just no. I still have to meet with Joonmyeon and I haven’t read the papers uncle Jaesuk gave me yesterday. This can’t be. “I guess we’ll be heading back to the hotel,” Chanyeol said while the driver started for u-turn.

“No!” I shrieked as the both of them turned to me.

“Haven’t you heard? All flights are canceled, I don’t want to sleep in the airport,” Chanyeol explained himself and I hate it when he’s right.

“But—“ I cut myself. No matter what my explanation is, I can’t stop this weather.

“What do you mean there’s only one room? We were just here an hour ago,” I questioned the lady that was on the front desk. There is no way I am sharing a room with this man.

“Sorry ma’am, but the foreign sailors have settled in since there’s a storm coming. If you’d like, there’s a hotel about 14 kilometers from here. However, I can’t assure you if they have available rooms either, it’s a peak season after all,” I clenched my fist from her response since her tone was so rude. I think I was raising my eyebrow at her but then I saw her staring, while battling her eyelashes at Park Chanyeol, who was unknowingly cheekily smiling at me.

“We’ll take it,” Chanyeol said while still looking at me.

“What do you mean we? Go find your own room,” I tried to snatch the key away from him but he used his height against me.

He was sluggishly shaking his head while putting off a smug. “I paid for this first. Take it or leave it,” he said and I looked at him with disbelief.

“I found this hotel first,” I ranted while folding my shoulders.

“I can also find this without your help,” he said in defense. Before I could say another word, he winked at the girl on the counter and grabbed his things to take the elevator.

“You’re a flirt,” I told him coldly when the elevator door shut.

“Fascinating…” he said without looking at me. “You should have told me you’re jealous, I would have stopped,” he leaned closer to my ear and he received a smack on the stomach.

“Aw!” he rubbed the part where I hit him. “You like hitting me, aren’t you?” he said while crunching his forehead. I laughed from my nose with satisfaction. You deserve it, idiot!

Just as I expected, Chanyeol isn’t a gentleman. He is rather a maniac, a ert! He told me I could sleep on the bed… with him. “In your dreams, moron,” I said and he just laughed. I think he wasn’t surprised to get that remark from me.

“Does your father know you speak those words?” he asked me out of the blue. I was trying to get some signal on my phone, just so I could tell my dad I can’t come home.

“Are you going to blackmail me with that?” I chuckled, while giving him a bored look.

“Could I use it for you to realize you like me?” he was now sitting on the couch beside me. I ignored him.

“you like me…” he said it again and this time, his arrogance irritated me bigtime. “You’re a ing idio—“ “and it's ing mutual,” he cut me and then he stared elsewhere. He blew his bangs before looking at me again. It took me three seconds... he just confessed?

“I’m serious…” he repeated now looking at me again and I’m trying to search for anything in his eyes that would tell me his bluffing. But no, there isn’t. This man is damn serious. But then, I managed to softly laugh.

“Park Chanyeol, I’m sorry, but I’m not the right person to love,” I smiled at him apologetically. I couldn’t hide the fact that I am flattered with his honesty, but he is Chanyeol… and as much as I hate him, as much as he’s a walking nuisance, I realize he is not someone I should play the game of love with. Not him.

He returned me an apologetic smile while shaking his head, and I creased my eyebrows. Does he ever listen? “I know. You’re not the easiest person to love. But it’s harder to control my feelings. I still like you, can you just let me be?"

 

 



It's officially the start of our hellweek! Last chapter to uodate for this week, and maybe I can start updating fast the week after. Though, don't keep your hopes that much, I really have no idea what will happen next. Lol :)) muchlove <3