HMS - 27

Heart Made of Steel

The next morning, I hurriedly took a bath and ate my breakfast. One of our housekeepers told me that my dad is looking for me, so I stopped by at his study before leaving for work.

“Dad, you were looking for me?” I said after knocking three times at his opened room. He peeked through the newspaper and caught my gaze. I was aware we still have some issues left unsolved, but some things are not meant to be solved instead simply forgotten.

“Actually I wanted to talk to you about it yesterday, but you weren’t at home when I arrived. Out somewhere?” he started as I make myself comfortable in one of the cushioned seats.

“Chanyeol invited me for dinner.” I told him the truth minus the latter part and I saw my dad giving me a quizzical look for a brief moment.

“It’s obviously surprising, but we’ve managed to become… friends.” I suddenly felt hot uttering the last word. I don’t know how to really describe our friendship, since we’ve been doing activities beyond what normal friends would do.

“I always thought Chanyeol’s a nice man.” He continued and I find myself agreeing because what my dad said is basically agreeable. More than nice even, Chanyeol is great.

“Anyway, what do you want to talk to me about?” I changed the topic because 1) we’re starting to get awkward again and 2) I’m going to be late for my schedule and I don’t want to be late again—the first and last time I was late… okay, maybe I don’t find it that bad.

“I've talked to her.” He told me and he doesn’t need to elaborate because I understood what he meant.

“I know it’s hard love. It still is, but I’m getting old. I want to forgive and be forgiven… I want to forget.” The sadness in his voice echoed in the four walls of his study and I couldn’t get mad at him anymore.

“I can’t face her, dad. I’m so sorry.” I walked towards him and for the first time since we had our fight, I wrapped my arms around him.

“I can’t understand you, but I want you to know that I’m so sorry for acting that way last time. I love you dad, you’re too important than everything in the world combined… that’s why I won’t stop you. But I can’t forgive her dad, not yet…” or not ever I thought. And the soft whimper and my dad’s tears broke my heart. I couldn’t stand seeing him like this.

“I’ll be late for work, dad. Bye,” I kissed him on the cheek before finally pulling away from his embrace. I turned my heel and exited the room before wiping a tear that has fallen on cheek.

 

 

 

 

I saw a high-spirited Ms. Kim on my way towards the elevator as she took my folders and ushered me inside.

“Something good happened, Ms. Kim?” I knew I was being rude for being nosy trying to know what’s behind her good aura, but I thanked her for not minding it. Instead, she flashed me a cheerful smile and told me the good news is waiting for me inside my office. I became more curious by the second, and when I started walking through the hallways of my office, the odd-in-a-good-way stares of my employees did not help either.

“I’ll prepare you some coffee ma’am.” Ms. Kim excused herself so I took my files from her hands and decided to enter my office.

I almost dropped my files and felt my knees tremble when I finally saw the ‘good news’ Ms. Kim was telling me about. How is this even possible?

Hey partner!” my mouth literally fell when I realized I wasn’t being delusional. Chanyeol is inside MY office, in his suit and tie, walking towards my direction.

“What—What are you—“ I stopped myself from continuing when he raised his arms and closed the door behind me.

“I thought—but you were supposed to be in Busan!” I almost yelled at him, still stunned from his impulsive visit.

“The last time I checked, you wanted me to stay. So,” he walked near me, and I couldn’t keep my heart rate stable.

“So I thought I’d grant your little wish…” he tilted his head to the side and I involuntarily closed my eyes. I felt his thumb brush the side of my cheeks and my lips unconsciously curved to a smile.

“And I just wanted you to know,” he brushed my nose using his own and I creased my eyebrows. He’s such a tease, so I opened my eyes.

“What?” I whined. “Can you just shut up and kiss me already?” I rolled my eyes and he playfully chuckled while pinching my cheeks. I blushed again.

“I just want you to know that I miss my partner so bad.” He finished his statement and I fought the urge to wrap my arms around him. He makes me so happy and I don’t even know if this feeling is legal. He just sounded so sincere and somewhere deep inside me, I wanted to believe him.

“And I’m going to kiss you right now, so if you don’t mind.” He took my files away from my hands with his one hand and embraced my waist to close the distance between us with his free arms. I believe our lips were a little less than two inches apart when I suddenly heard knocks from behind me. I instantly pushed Chanyeol away from me and moved towards the side of the door to open it.

“Ms. Kim.” I said surprised when I moved to make way for her.

“Your coffee. And these came from Director Lee.” she handed me a thin manila folder and hurriedly exited our room. I knew in her facial expression that she was feeling as uncomfortable as I was.

“I, uh. Need to get back to work.” I swiftly got my files from his hands and darted towards my table. Without looking up, I sensed Chanyeol briskly heading towards his place. At my peripheral view, I could see a familiar desk a few meters away from my own. I pressed my lips to hide my smile. I also miss my partner.

 

 

“Chanyeol.” I lifted my head and called him from my desk. He was done with his load and now he’s playing with a hexagon rubix. He immediately turned his attention to me and I smiled because he didn’t hesitate even when he looked like he was so absorbed playing with his toy. But I hesitated to continue, I know what I wanted to ask of him is too much.

“No, nevermind.” I shook my head and told him to proceed from whatever he was doing and I proceeded to my own. I still couldn’t escape the reality that my dad wouldn’t give her up. What did she do to deserve dad? With all the years and all the hurt she’s put him through, what did she ever do to deserve my dad?

“Are you done?” I snapped back from reality upon hearing that deep voice. I didn’t monitor him striding towards my territory, I think I’ve drifted for quite some time.

“Mm. You need something?” instead of answering my question, he grabbed my bag and offered his hand.

“Where are we going?” I asked him while reaching for my bag to search for my car keys.

“What are you doing? I’ll drive. Don’t you think it’s weird if we’re on a date but we’ll be going to a certain destination by ourselves?” he said and I figured he was right.

So I ended up in an ice cream parlor with my favorite blueberry cheesecake ice cream and a handsome figure as my company. It was my time to ask him about his random re-application and his answer was as blunt as I told you I miss you but it was the answer I wanted to hear. I couldn’t help but adore the kid within him as he happily savored every bit of his peppermint ice cream. It’s also his favorite, and he tells me it’s the kind of ice cream for every man. Mint—cool and manly. I must agree it’s a convincing choice for bachelors like him who wanted to show off their masculinity to some ladies, but the fact that he’s eating it like a 5-year old kid would make me ponder on that matter.

I took a look at his mouth—plump and messy (because of the ice cream)—and tried to note it to self. This look of him would be good for me to remember during rainy days when I feel really down. People could not understand how the weather greatly affects my mood. I don’t understand it too, but I deeply abhor the rain.

Satisfied, I grab some tissue and wiped the side of his mouth. He looked back at me when I did it and I told him he has some ice cream on his mouth and I just have to clean it up for him.

For a couple of minutes, we stayed at the ice cream parlor. The sun was beginning to set as I felt his left arms around my waist.

“Can I stay at your place for the night?” I had the courage to ask. Truth be told, I don't want to stay at home. And a generous part is because I want to spend the rest of the day with him. He looked at me with bewildered eyes and so I thought it was just as bad of an idea as I thought it was.

“Forget I asked you.” I lowered my gaze but then I could still feel his eyes on me.

“What’s the matter?” he asked and I said nothing and he said to spill it out and I don’t have any idea how I openly relayed to him what my dad said to me this morning. I’m getting comfortable telling things to Chanyeol every single day, and sometimes it scares me. Sometimes I think I’m telling him more than what he should know but before I could stop myself, I spilled every little detail.

I don’t know why we ended up in a department store but I let myself be dragged by Chanyeol for the very reason that I don’t want to check-in at the hotel at the moment. And for another reason that I like the company of Chanyeol.

“Good evening ma’am, sir! We have great finds for you here ma’am!” a saleslady greeted us when she saw Chanyeol scanning some apparel. I got confused why we’re in the women’s section, and got more confused when Chanyeol asked me what type of working clothes I prefer. He was busy putting random clothes in a basket but stopped when I held his hands.

“I’m sorry I didn’t tell you.” He squeezed my hand that was holding onto him gently while I saw him blew his bangs. “I know everything... it was me actually. He didn't ask my help, I kind of-- I insisted,” he explained even before I didn’t ask him anything. Before I could even process everything he said, we both got distracted when, “Oh my god! Is that Park Chanyeol?” and a flash of camera blinded my eye.

In an instant, Chanyeol wrapped his arms and embraced me protectively. Everything happened so fast and still I was enveloped around Chanyeol. I couldn’t see anything but I could clearly hear him asking those girls to delete certain photos—our photos—in their cameras.

“Are you okay?” he lifted my chin up so he could examine my face and I felt myself blushing. It wasn’t anything extreme so he doesn’t really need to exaggerate with it.

“I’m okay.” I pulled my face away and looked away because I suddenly felt conscious.

“Sorry about that.” he held my hand and squeezed it gently. I heard him telling the saleslady to wrap everything up but even the saleslady, who wasn’t reacting earlier, happen to also know Chanyeol.

 

 

So we ended up in Chanyeol’s place. He asked me to change in his clothes when he figured we forgot to buy comfortable clothes. I had to admit, I know I needed to buy some pajamas when we were shopping earlier but I purposely forgot that necessity because I preferred his clothes.

“Are you mad at me?” he sat on the bedside and for a couple of second, I tried to remember why he’s asking me that question. I almost forgot that he told me he knew about my dad’s decision and his unspoken 'helps', but my good memory didn’t fail me. But the thing is, and I have to admit, I wasn’t even surprised that Chanyeol would tell my dad because 1) I already have an idea that my dad knows what Chanyeol knows and 2) just because I can't find myself getting mad at Chanyeol. I just want to know him. I wan't to decode everything about him..

“No.” I didn’t sound convincing so I immediately repeated it with more conviction, “No, Chanyeol. I’m not.” I even shook my head as I look straight into his eyes.

“And I don’t need to know anything.” I added and smiled at him. He nodded and then he leaned closer to me as he kissed my cheek.

“Chanyeol," it was almost a whisper but I wasn't surprised to know he heard me well enough to look straight into my eyes and wait for the next words I'm ought to say.

"I need you to stay with me.” I bit my lip and moved to my side to give him enough space. And Chanyeol didn't even have to think for a second as he kissed me so lovingly and responded, "for as long as you wish."

This is scary, but I've gone too far. I'm in the danger zone, and if ever I'll be damned, I can't blame anyone but myself. Even my smart mind has been telling me how risky and stupid this man is, but still I ended up tresspassing that danger zone, and I can't rewind. He's done so much harm that the walls I've built crumbled to ashes, much to my dismay. And now I can't go back, I can't endure, I can't resist him.

Unlike before, I can't get mad at him and I can't hate him, and it frustrates me... Because I trust him. Because I think I love him.

 

 


so sorry for my sloooow update, loves. Anyways, enjoy the holidays <3