HMS - 25

Heart Made of Steel

I took a deep breath before heading towards my office. Just when I closed the door behind me, I snapped out when I suddenly heard three knocks.

“Ma’am, your coff—are you okay?” Ms. Kim looked worried when she saw me.

“Eh?” I wasn’t able to answer her question correctly.

“You look like you’ve seen a ghost?” but this time I caught her pressing her lips to suppress a laugh so I took my cup of coffee from her hands and told her I’m really fine before darting towards my desk.

“Then, I’ll excuse myself ma’am. I’m glad you’ve reconciled with Mr. Park.” It didn’t sound like a question and I almost choked the hot liquid that I started sipping—I coughed again.

“Ah, y-yes. Thank you Ms. Kim, I’ll call you if I need anything.” I said once I’ve gained my composure back and then she slightly bowed before finally exiting my office.

I rested on my seat before starting anything when my eyes landed on an empty space a few meters from my left. His desk has already been removed. I never realized how spacious my office is before he became my business partner.

Being my workaholic self, I finished my pile of work for the day even before my ‘normal’ working schedule ends. It’s only four in the afternoon. I’m trying to think of anything I should do to make my remaining hours of the day productive when a certain folder on top of those finished files I segregated caught my attention. It is the last, supposedly, collaborative work of me and Chanyeol.

I flipped through the pages and was amazed because they don’t look any bit familiar. I remembered not taking another look at this when Ms. Kim handed this to me two weeks ago. On the outside, it looks like it was left untouched—I am wrong.

Chanyeol reviewed my proposal regarding the operations of our in-process business. The pages still include my opinions, some with simple revisions, but they also include Chanyeol’s own words.

I thought he didn’t even scan these pages.

I thought he didn’t understand anything about my first proposal or any other things concerning this industry.

I thought he was just a good-for-nothing playboy who used his family name to woo a certain COO.

I thought he was just a boy trapped in an exceptionally good looking 22 year-old body, who wanted to prove something I thought he would never attain.

But I am wrong… again. And I’ve lost count of how many times he’s proven me wrong.

My thoughts drifted away when my phone vibrated. The message came from the same person I was just thinking of asking me if I’m still alive. And I found myself unconsciously smiling from how childish he can be most of the time, and then turn serious when he needs to.

Maybe he’s right. And maybe it’s time I’d try admitting it to myself. It would make things a lot easier, I know. I’ve grown a little crush in him. Just a little.

 

 

 

And I admit I got surprised a bit, when my dad didn’t call for me. We’re both stubborn, it’s an absolute truth—runs in the family. But still, he’s old, and I just couldn’t escape the thought of losing him anytime, especially since he’s been in and out of the hospital much frequently than usual this year. And yet I’m still mad, I just hate him still.

When I decided to wrap the day, I took a taxi cab to drive me back to my rebel place. I feel a little relieved when I saw my car still in the parking lot, and in the same good condition. I hurriedly went inside my car, but before starting the engine, I attempted to remember what happened yesterday, but I didn’t. And so I just promised myself never to drink so much again.

I stepped on the gas and drove to a nearby grocery to buy ingredients. Just to be safe and since I don’t have any idea what he would like, I decided to cook him, as my sign of gratitude, my dad’s all-time favourite—chicken roulade.

I mentally face palmed myself when I realize I still need to cook this, and since I’m not in the mood to go back home, I only have one place in my mind. I turned the wheel and drove to his house. After getting lost for some time, I still found my way to his unit.

I pressed on the buzzer that would call for him, but it dawned on me that he wasn’t in. I should’ve texted him, but I decided to just sneak in and leave after cooking him my sign of gratitude and my better-than-late peace offering. Besides, I firmly believe that if I texted him, he will surely ask me to wait for him, and I’m definitely not assuming in this state—just stating the fact.

So I began preparing the ingredients while having some hard time locating the whereabouts of his pan and his other cooking apparatus. In the end, I still managed to be able to cook the chicken roulade. Truth be told, I got a little curious to where he is. I know he is busy, considering the fact that he wouldn’t re-apply in my dad’s company for some reason I did not care to ask, but would he be here anytime soon? I scribbled some note on a post-it that I always bring with me then I made sure to clean everything before finally leaving his unit.

 

 

The day has finally ended when I witness the moon lighting the darkness that’s wholly embracing the city of Seoul. There weren’t any hint of star, so I predicted it might rain anytime soon. It did.

Taking a deep breath, I decided to go back home. Of course, I could sense the weird looks from our housekeepers, but I shrugged it off. Besides, I still have to meet someone who’s going to be much more awkward than these people when he comes back.

“Young lady, the Director just left. He said he’ll come back the day after tomorrow.” She said upon seeing me walk upstairs. So, he didn’t fly to Busan yesterday? I thought so.

“Oh, okay.” I just nodded. I wanted to ask where he went, but my pride told me to just keep that question to myself.

After taking the shower, I checked my mail to see if some of our investors sent me an e-mail. After giving my reply to Mr. Seo, Mr. Choi and Mrs. Lee, some of our minor investors, I decided to lie on my bed. Reflecting wasn’t part of my plans, but in the end, my mind found its way to reflect on everything that’s happening in my life.

Maybe I just need time. I’m sure I can’t stay mad at my dad forever, he’s my dad afterall. And why does it sound so one-sided? How can I not say the same to her? Maybe because in any way I see it, there’s a big difference. I love my dad… I love him still, even if I hate him. With regards to the other one responsible for my birth, there’s only hate.

My thoughts floated away when my phone rang. I wanted to slap myself from feeling all giddy when I hurriedly answered upon seeing Chanyeol’s name on my phone’s screen.

“Hello?” my calm voice escaped my mouth, thankfully.

“Hey, beautiful.” The hairs on the back of my neck rise upon hearing the deep voice on the other line. I rolled my eyes, but I realized he wouldn’t see my reaction so I thought that was a rather stupid response.

“You should’ve told me you dropped by, thanks for the food by the way. This is really delicious, I’m trying to reconsider my favourite food right now because of your cooking.” The sweet talks of Park Chanyeol.

“Right.” I wanted to see him so badly though, and raise my eyebrow at him. I could even imagine how he’d react.

“You always think I’m kidding. Tsk, tsk.” now, I could imagine him either shaking his head disapprovingly, or creasing his nose.

“Just because you always do.” I said matter-of-factly and I heard him chuckle. If what we’re currently doing isn’t flirting, I do not have any idea what this is.

“Do you ever know that you have this charming ability to appropriately mock a man? But seriously, this is really good. What do you call this?” He cleared himself and I diligently answered his question. I smiled since I realized he isn’t there to witness me.

“And I really wish that I’m with you right now, I so badly want to see your smiling face.” And I pressed my lips to stop from smiling. It literally freaked me out. Someow, I felt like he’s watching me from somewhere.

“Who says I’m smiling?” I tried sounding as monotonous as possible.

“I know when you do.” He said arrogantly, and I just can’t believe how conceited of a man he is.

“I always need to remind myself I’m talking to you.” I responded while noting the sarcastic tone in my voice, and this time he laughed, and soon I laughed too.

“I uh, I saw your dad today.” He changed the topic and I unperturbedly asked him how he was. Chanyeol answered me that my dad seemed to be ‘normal’ and since I’m expecting that kind of answer from him, I just told him I’m back home and that my dad just left to some place I do not know. It’s pretty weird, since I’m initiating a conversation with him, and it’s weirder since I’m being pretty comfortable.

“You wanna know what we talked about?” his tone is dead serious, and I think I know why. But if ever I’m right, why did my dad talk to Chanyeol for that specific matter? So I still asked him to check, and soon I found my thoughts correct. They talked about her. This time though, I wasn’t mad. Maybe because I don’t want to argue with Chanyeol and because I remembered I told him to do whatever he wants.

“How is she?” I just wanted to know a little detail, maybe catch-up with her life. Or no? Or I don’t know.

“She’s fine. Better than when you last saw her.” He assured me and I pressed my lips together. I wanted to ask him another question but I figured I needed to earn some courage first.

“Hey, I need to go. It’s pretty late, you should sleep.” A hint of disappointment surfaced me. A new feeling, since I was always the one to push him away or end our discussion.

“Yeah, I should.” I literally face palmed myself when my tone didn’t hide my true feelings, thus, gaining an arrogant chuckle from the other line.

“Missing me already? Tsk, tsk. That is so not the Ms. COO I know.” He chuckled again and I got a little irritated.

“I do not miss you, excuse me! I’m hanging up!” I countered at once.

“That’s what I wanted to hear. Fierce as always. Goodnight, beautiful. Dream of me.” I even heard a kissing sound from the phone. Yuck.

“You wish!” and then he laughed heartily. “I’m really hanging up now!” I ended the call and lie down on my bed with a sheepish grin while unnoticeably pressing my phone on my chest. Darn it, I miss him!