HMS-17

Heart Made of Steel

Joonmyeon visited me on my birthday despite his very busy schedule and brought me some flowers. It wasn’t too long of a visit; he needs to fly to Jeju the same day for some business meeting.

After another three days, dad finally woke up. The doctor insisted he rest for three more days until he's allowed to be discharged. “Dad. Rest, okay? I’ll limit it to one week, and we’ll see… maybe I’ll allow you to go back to work,” I said before I went to office.

I went straight to uncle Jaesuk’s room since he needs to give me some papers. “Director Lee,” I greeted and he returned me the respect. He gestured me to sit on the seat opposite his desk.

“How’s he?” he asked without looking at me. He was sorting some folders that were stacked at the side of his desk.

“Stubborn as always. He wants to work, I told him I’ll give him at least a week to rest,” I answered him and he chuckled.

“The same as always…” he remarked as he gave me a piece of folder. “…that’s the contract of lease from Mr. Chen of CHO company, I just had to ask for another opinion. It’s quite of a deal,” he said while arranging the now disorganized stacks of folders on his desk.

“I might be able to pay him a visit later. I’ll call for a family dinner,” he looked at me and smiled. Time flies, even uncle Jaesuk has those wrinkled lines from years and years of work. It was too long since we last had a family dinner together. Uncle Jaesuk seemed really busy,so it actually surprised me how he has found the time today.

“I’ll tell him. I’ll see you for dinner then, Director Lee,” I excused myself.

“Ma’am, this was mailed for you,” Ms. Kim handed me a sealed white envelope. It was from Kang Heechul.

“Thanks, I’d like a cup of coffee please,” I told her and she nodded. I went inside my office and there I saw Chanyeol playing with a rubics cube.

“Good morning!” he greeted me when he saw me enter the room.

“Morning. Done with your paperworks?” I asked while walking towards my desk. I quickly arranged my things and sat on my chair.

“Piece of cake,” he answered.

“Kai’s having a birthday party tonight, if you’re not that busy… you know,” he stopped playing the rubics cube and I see he’s done with it. It's amusing how he knows so many things.

“Um… can’t. Have a family dinner scheduled today,” I said as I quickly grab the white envelope sent for me.

“Oh, I see… anyway, you have some new newspapers in there? I’m bored,” he asked. I pointed at the stack-up newspapers at the side of my desk and he stood from his seat to get them.

More pictures of her were sent for me. “Who’s that?” I didn’t realize Chanyeol was looking at the pictures so I gracefully inserted them back to the envelope.

“Someone… I know… from way, way back,” I forced a smile.

“Hm,” he nodded and I waited until he’s back to his seat.

 

She is really living a hard life. Much to my observation, her bones can clearly be traced even from her wrinkled skin. She’s tan from sunburn. I couldn’t finish scanning the pictures so I diverted from them and read the note Kang Heechul sent me instead.

She’s sick. Level 3 cancer. She only happened to find out last Thursday when there was a free medical check-up on their public hospital, sponsored by the governor. The doctor told her to get treatment as soon as possible, but she couldn’t afford, so she declined. She—

“You okay?” I heard Chanyeol ask. He was standing a few meters away from me, looking worried. It’s when I happen to realize I crumpled and slammed the paper on my desk.

“Hey… what was that?” he was slowly walking near me.

“Don’t!” I gestured him to stop and he did. I don’t know why I’m finding it hard to breathe. Suddenly, the room felt so small, I need to run…away from here.

I quickly dumped the pictures and the paper under the compartment of my desk. I stood up and left the room. “I’ll be back after,” I told Ms. Kim who was surprised to see me walking towards the elevator.

She’s sick! And still she managed to put that smile. LIAR!!! This is not how I planned it. She must die, but not from cancer! But from shame; from realizing she’s useless, she’s hopeless, she’s helpless! She cannot die… not until she’s aware of what becomes dad… of what becomes of me, the child from years and years ago she heartlessly abandoned.

“Airport,” I told the taxi driver once I entered the car.

I bought the day’s plane ticket for Busan. I still have to wait for 3 hours until the flight.

*ringggg* I heard my phone. Park Chanyeol.

"Where are you?” he was almost shouting.

“Tell Ms. Kim, I’ll be reporting tomorrow, something came up.”

“What are you saying!! Tell me where you are, what are you up to? Don’t do something reckless, that’s my job!" he said.

“This isn’t some business matters, I’m hanging—“

“Don’t you dare hang up!! I don’t care, just tell me where you—“ I ended the call. He’s shouting, and angry for no reason at all.

I forgot about dinner, so I called dad and told him something really important came up, and that Uncle Jaesuk will be visiting him. After that I turned my phone off, Chanyeol keeps on calling me, it’s annoying.

It took another 3 hours until I finally arrived at the far coast of Busan. Strangely, I don’t feel anything. I first checked in at a nearby hotel and waited until 5 o’clock. She's working as a night waitress by then.

I asked the frontline person at the hotel I’m staying where the Busan Hut is. They were considerate enough to drive me there. It only took me a minute to locate her, at the side of the counter, wearing a plain white blouse and faded jeans.

“Annyeonghaseyo! Table for how many ma’am?” another waitress greeted me with that plastered smile never leaving its place.

“One,” I monotonously answered as she guided me towards an empty space.

“Eunjee-ah, customer here,” I wasn’t able to blink when I heard the waitress call her for me.

“Yes,” she said. No sign of weakness in her voice. The devil must’ve been laughing.

“What a beautiful woman you are. In for a vacation?” she said once she saw me.

“Visiting someone,” I bluntly answered her and she just smiled.

“I see. So, is that someone coming?” she asked again, still smiling. Then she handed me the menu.

“She doesn’t have any idea,” I said while flipping through the pages of the menu.

“Oh, whoever she is, she must be delighted to see you,” she added and I slammed the menu to close, she looked surprised.

“Eunjee-ah, customer here,” someone called her.

“Ah, yes, yes! Wait,” she shouted and she went back to focus on me again.

"Today's auch a busy day, it's a peak season after all." She murmured before waiting for my order.

“Everything,” I said while returning her the menu.

“Excuse me?” she was confused.

“Give me everything,” I repeated, pointing at the menu.

“But…--“

“Eunjee-ah~” she was cut when her name was called again.

“Oh? For a while ma’am,” she excused herself and darted towards the counter.

After twenty minutes, my orders keep on coming. I think the other waiter looked amused because I ordered everything. They needed to add two more tables just to set up everything. Suddenly she came near me.

“Are you sure about this, ma’am?” she asked. Now, every employee was encircling me, even the manager. I think they’re curious how I should pay everything.

“Give me the bill,” I ignored her question. One of the waiters beside her quickly went to the counter to give me what I asked for. When he returned and handed me the bill. I took out my credit card.

“The Black Card,” I heard the manager mumble, when he saw my card. All the other employees were clueless of what he said. The Black Card. Only 50 people from all over Korea have this kind of card. The most exclusive credit card in the country, given to the 50 people of Korea with the highest net worth.

The manager called the other waiters to go back to working so I started eating the tropical fruits near me.

“Try this. It’s the best beef in Korea,” another waitress as old as Eunjee pointed at the grade A beef near me.

“Throw it, I don't eat those kind of foods,” I think I sounded irritated, and she was silenced.

“Excuse me?!?” she shouted at me, and I saw their manager coming towards our table.

“I don’t eat meat,” I bluntly told her.

“You ordered these knowing you don’t eat these kinds of foods?!? Do you know how wasteful you sound!” she looked at me with raged eyes.

“ Minji!! You stupid woman!” the manager came near her and pushed her temple with his index finger.

“Apologize to her! Now! Do you know what kind of person you’re talking to?” she was forced to kneel, but she wasn’t saying anything. Suddenly, all the other employees started encircling me.

“I’m sorry. She shouldn’t have treated you this way—“

“Throw everything, or do whatever you want to do with these. I lost my appetite.” I cut him off and stood up from my seat. Suddenly, she also stood up, but the manager looked as angry as she was.

“I don’t know what kind of parents you have for spoiling you this way!! But I can’t tolerate this!” and then I felt a calloused hand hit my cheek. I clenched my fist ready to hit her back. But it’s those times when I felt so numb, I couldn’t think of anything to do. It’s like my soul’s separated from my body, I'm in no control.

Just then, a pair of arms wrapped around me. “Stop!” she shouted.

 

 



Hey. I just thought I needed to update before my exams. Thanks to my new subscribers, wee! <3 keep them comments coming! :)