HMS-21

Heart Made of Steel

Next day and the days after, I went back to work. I didn’t talk to Chanyeol, not even a ‘hi’ or ‘hello’. Since being civil is not working, maybe being indifferent should do the trick.

“Just a sec,” I told Joonmyun when I saw him enter our office.

“Good morning to you too,” he said while slowly approaching me. He’s in a good mood. He’s always in a good mood, and somehow, he manages to lift my mood a little everytime he’s there.

“Sorry. Good morning, Joonmyun,” I chuckled a little, and when he came near me, he gave me a peck on the lips. I would be lying if I say it didn’t surprise me because 1) it did and 2) I’m well aware that another pair of eyes saw what he did. But I still smiled at Joonmyun because I thought it’s my responsibility to let him see that it’s okay with me.

“Oh! Good morning Mr. Park,” he flashed a smile to Chanyeol who greeted him without showing a hint of emotion. It was getting awkward, so I quickly organized my things and took Joonmyun’s hand.

“I heard there’s a new salad bar nearby…” I said while dragging him outside the office.

 

 

 

“It’s Park Donghee’s birthday on the 22nd, you know him?” my dad, handed me a beige paper with black linings on each side. A birthday invitation from the Park family.

“I read about him. Chanyeol’s older brother,” I uttered and my dad nodded. He grinned at me for a while before continuing.

“You know I can’t go, I’ll be on Japan for a contract signing. At least be my representative, love? I heard Joonmyun’s family is invited too. You’ll go with him, right?” he said and I just nodded.

On the day of Park Donghee’s birthday though, Joonmyun had an emergency meeting, so I ended up going alone. It was the latest nightclub of the Parks, and for this night, it is closed for their oldest son’s 26th birthday. The club really isn’t the place for me. It’s dark, though compared to normal nights, the dimness of the club’s pretty bearable for my eyes. Mr. Park Chanjo was the one who first saw me, and when he called my name, I greeted and approached him. He introduced me to Park Donghee and we talked for a few moment.

“I’ve heard a lot about you. Martini, Whisky or Vodka?” he gestured at the drinks and I chose the first one, which I know has a lower alcohol content.

“Tell me if Chanyeol’s harassing you or something, I’m going to break his neck,” he laughed and I laughed. Compared to his younger brother, I guess I can actually get along with him.

“Speaking of Chanyeol, there he is!” I turned my head to locate him, and there he is, wearing silver long sleeves and black skinny jeans. I admit, he looks really good.

Chanyeol nodded at his brother before he shifted his gaze at me. He’s holding his own glass of wine in his left hand and was about to approach us when a random girl, I think in her early twenties, threw her arms around him and kissed him intimately. I was shocked when that happened, but I was more shocked when he kissed her back.

“Goodness, Chanjo! Can you tell your son to stop? We have visitors, and he’s being an embarrasment!” I think I heard Mrs. Park say. It was supposed to be a whisper, I think, but I ended up being able to hear it despite the loud noise.

“It’s okay mom, it’s on me. Let him have a good time, it’s his day too,” Donghee said and I think Mrs. Park walked out with Mr. Park following him.

“Sorry about that,” he apologized and I said it was nothing and he said he felt sorry for Chanyeol and before I could ask him why and what he meant by what he said just now, Chanyeol was there in front of us.

“She’s mad?” it was the first thing he said. Donghee just shrug and said that it’s fine before patting Chanyeol’s shoulder.

“Oh, I was just asking her how you are at work. I could say I’m proud of you, bro,” Donghee smiled at me and I returned the smile, though it would really help if I can finally leave this place. Donghee hugged his brother and I think he whispered something I couldn’t hear.

“Thanks, really,” Chanyeol said and then he shifted his focus on me.

“Donghee! People here want to meet you! Come, son,” it was Mrs. Park and so Donghee said ‘for a sec’ before giving Chanyeol a knowing look and then he excused himself to us and we were left alone in the dimness of the night.

“Didn’t know you were invited,” he broke the silence.

“Sorry to disappoint. But, I’ll be leaving anyway. I just thought I need to greet your brother a happy birthday personally,” I was about to leave when he pulled my grip.

“No, I didn’t mean it that way,” he dropped his head trying to explain himself.

“It’s okay, I don’t demand an explanation. I’m going then, Mr. Park” I didn’t wait for his reply and briskly walked my way out of the club.

I realize he was following me from behind, when I heard him call my name. I ignored him while looking for my car keys inside my sling bag. He called me again, but I acted like I didn’t hear him until I am wrapped around his long, strong arms, the smell of mint, alcohol, smoke and his strong perfume washed over me then and there, and I am intoxicated.

“Mr. Park, let… l-let go,” I stuttered on my words when he hushed me. Good thing there wasn’t anyone except us in that parking lot.

“You’re drunk,” I said, raising my hand and trying to remove his grip from me.

“No, I’m not. Please stay…” I didn’t know why he sounded so vulnerable, so longing in that moment. But I can’t, if I chose to stay, it would be anything but right because 1) I remembered I’m with Joonmyun, and I am with him because I said so, not because I was forced too. I don’t even know if I liked my decision, I just thought it’s not a bad idea to end up with a Kim Joonmyun; and 2) I’m not in good terms with Chanyeol. And whatever relationship we have, it’s not even a relationship.

“You can have all the girls there Chanyeol. Just now, you have that girl kissing you. Go back inside, I really have to go,” I politely declined before he held my hand again, squeezing it gently. I looked up at him, and even in the darkness, I see the longing desire from his stare.

“You know what, you’re right. I can have all the girls that I want, they would swoon over me, it’s a piece of cake! I can even sleep with anyone I like and they’d even feel like they’re the luckiest girl for having to be in the same bed with Park Chanyeol… except you,” he paused before uttering the last two words.

“God! Why does it have to be you?” he finally let go of his grip as he runs a frustrated hand over his hair. Just then my phone rang, I immediately took my phone from my bag—Joonmyun’s calling. I was about to answer but Chanyeol stole my phone.

“What do you think you’re doing? Give it back, it’s Joonmyun,” I grimaced at him. I knew trying to get my phone back from him is impossible if I’d fight with his height.

“God damn it! Can you stop this act? You don’t even love this guy, why did you let him kiss you? You’re… you’re playing him!” he’s raising his voice, giving me a disappointing look. It sting. He almost spit the last sentence on me, like I was the most disgusting woman alive.

“So now you’re lecturing me about whom to love? What are you now, the love expert? Try asking that to yourself, huh? What do you know about love, Chanyeol? What right do you have for you to accuse me of playing with Kim Joonmyun, when all you did was play with someone’s heart all your life? When you slept with for God knows how many girls and left them next thing in the morning? What do you know, Chanyeol? What—“ And before anything gets more complicated, it came to my realization that I was cut by his mouth devouring mine. It

wasn’t romantic, not even close to that.

The first few seconds, I fought him, pushed him away, but he was too strong. I figured out that neither will win this fight and that one of us should just give up, and that someone is me. It took him a few more minutes before he pulled away, both of us grasping for air. Slowly, he pulled away from his embrace and that’s my cue to finally slap him right straight in the face.

“You deserve more than that,” I harshly spit those words to him, as I wiped my mouth with the back of my hand.

 

 

 

The next few days, I haven’t seen Chanyeol, and I am truly grateful because I know it’s worse than awkward to be in the same perimeter as him. How he will finish all his works undone? I have no idea, and I’m not lending him any hand, not after everything that’s happened.

Joonmyun’s being the better man, making sure to spare me a part of his golden time. But we’re both busy souls, who would spend gold just to buy even a miniscule amount of ‘more time’. Of course, the world didn’t have the resources, which makes me unable to have enough time to contemplate my real feelings for the other soul.

I skimmed through the last two pages of the final blueprints of the hotel me and Joonmyun worked on for the past three months. But just as I finished, the office door opened, and the first thing that greeted me was that strong scent… he’s back.

I didn’t have to raise my head, I could see him stride his way towards his territory. And it didn’t even took a nanosecond when everything that happened that night, flashed back right in front of me.

“Yeol-oppa! I’m looking everywhere for you! Happy birthday!” I heard Jiyeon say with that chirpy voice of hers. She was admiring the man in front of her, who’s currently planting a plastered smile on his just-slapped face.

Did I hear her right? Happy birthday? Is today…

“Thanks Jiyeon, you shouldn’t have,” he thanked her. Jiyeon was smiling until her eyes fixated on me, it turned cold.

“God! You again? What the hell is that woman doing here oppa?” she pointed at me, so I rolled my eyes. Chanyeol then held her pointing hand and asked her to go inside.

“Okay fine, but be there oppa! It’s your birthday, spend time with us, not with her,” she wrapped her slender arms around Chanyeol not forgetting to give me a fierce look before leaving out of my sight. Did she just say it’s also his birthday? But—

Just then, Chanyeol tucked his hands inside his pockets and left without saying another word.

A sound of forced cough awakened me from my senseless daydream. It was Chanyeol asking me what he missed from the couple of days he’s been absent. I fought the urge to roll my eyes on him, thinking I could not forever escape the reality that he is currently my business partner. So with the thought that explaining to him everything is for the betterment of our company, I figured I need to act professionally.

“Sorry I was absent. I kinda, run some few errands—“

“It’s your prerogative, Mr. Park. I do not intend to ask you any explanation.” I said before going back to focus on my work, and he just said okay, and maybe he was waiting for anything, so I gave him a questioning look, but he just flashed a smile that, for the first time, didn’t reach his eyes before shaking his head and walking back to his desk, and for a minute I was perplexed, but soon enough, I shrugged it off and went back to working on some files.