HMS - 31

Heart Made of Steel

Joonmyun arrived the next day as scheduled and he headed straight to the hospital. I happen to meet him there because I decided to stay at the hospital knowing that Joonmyun couldn’t. Director Kim is my friend’s father and even if we’re not each other’s fiancé anymore, I promise to be his loyal friend.

He was the one to wake me up, when he saw me sleeping at a daybed meant for the relatives of patients in ICU. “Sorry for the troubles, but thanks for looking out for my father,” he said with an apologetic face. I shook my head and told him it’s the least I can do so he flashed me a heartwarming smile.

“You should get some rest. I asked Mr. Kang to drive you home,” he looked behind and called for Mr. Kang.

“Joonmyun,” I whispered his name so he shifted his attention on me. “Your dad’s going to be okay. Don’t push yourself too much. You look out for yourself too, okay?” I gave him a long embrace. I believe he needed that.

 

 

When I entered my office, I knew there is something else I needed to settle. I happen to be earlier than Chanyeol again, so I diligently placed my gift to his mom on his desk. After twenty minutes or more, he finally came while giving me a nod.

“It’s my gift, could you give it to your mom instead? Sorry, again,” I quickly explained once he sat on his seat.

“Okay,” he answered without looking at me. I don’t know why he’s giving me the cold shoulder, but I think I’m just over-thinking so I let it slip as I proceeded to working some files.

When lunchtime came, Chanyeol said he’s going to meet Kai. I said it’s okay, “Actually, I’m thinking of really missing out lunch for today, I’m checking on Director Kim,” I admitted and he didn’t say anything. We silently walked towards the elevator, and although I found it weird that he wasn’t talking, I let it go as we separated in the parking lot.

 

On the way to the hospital, I bought salad for Joonmyun and a rice meal for Mr. Kang. I know how inedible hospital foods are, so I figured I needed to bring Joonmyun something he could enjoy. He needed energy more than I should.

I happen to see Joonmyun outside the ICU, with his laptop. “Hey, I thought I told you to rest, didn’t I?” I scrunched my nose in disapproval while he gave me a guilty smile once he recognized my presence.

“I brought food for you and Mr. Kang,” I showed him the plastic I was holding and he told me he didn’t know he was hungry until I offered him salad. I told him he’s neglecting his health and he told me that he probably needs to find a wife that would nag and take care of him.

“No, you just need a phone that would alarm and remind you to eat during eating times. That’s all,” I mocked and he laughed. I smiled when he laughed because it’s always genuine. He offered me food but I declined and told him I just ate (see: I was lying).

“Are you happy, Joonmyun?” I started asking to start a gracious conversation.

He looked at me as he shrugged his shoulders before looking at the wall of the room his father is in, “How do you define happiness?” he returned me a question which I am sure he didn’t intend for me to answer, so I remained silent.

“It’s all in the mind. What do you think of this?” he brought a glass of water and held it in the air.

“A half-full glass of water,” I vocalized what I know he wanted me to say, and then he smiled before he chugged everything down.

He nodded before leaning his head at the wall behind us and mumbled, “I thought so.”

 

 

The next three days, Chanyeol was out of Seoul. He needed to attend a three-day convention because I am currently in charge of reviewing the summarized feedbacks of operations about my first project. I’ve been really busy that I know I’m neglecting Chanyeol in a way, but I’ve warned him before that getting me is difficult enough and staying with me is worse. But I am thankful for him, because he understands and I appreciate him for that. I just wish I could have more time, because it felt like he’s giving me so much while I don’t have resources to return him at least a quarter of attention he deserves.

On another note, Director Kim has finally become stable, and yesterday he was transferred to another room. He thanked me for saving his life, but I said he doesn’t have to thank me for it. In fact, if it wasn’t for that meeting, he might not be lying in a hospital bed.

I’d like to think that Director Kim’s attack wasn’t that bad after all because it was an opportunity for me to get to know Joonmyun in a much deeper way. He really is an intelligent man, which is really appealing because how many men think the same way like him?

He confessed to me that he had a girlfriend back in college, and he really loved that girl. Unfortunately, after graduation, which happens to also be their break-up, they’ve lost contact.

“As I grew up, I realized that there are much more things outside the four corners of my comfort zone,” he gave me a small smile which I returned just because he has the ability to. I was asking him why he decided to break up when he said he deeply loved her. “I figured, there are much more powerful things than love. Even before I felt it, I knew right then that there will come a time where love will no longer be enough, so I broke up with her,” he shrugged as he stood up to brush invisible dusts from his pants. I stood up as well because the doctor has arrived to do his daily routine.

I excused myself because I needed to leave and get something at my dad’s house. “Soulmates doesn’t always need to end up together,” he ended his statement with his signature smile before waving goodbye. I insisted to walk myself since he needed to hear what the doctor has to say, which I believe, is ninety-percent crap as of that moment.

 

 

I didn’t call my dad that I was visiting simply because I didn’t intend to stay. I just intend to get some files that I needed for reference and then leave. But I guess, my plan doesn’t always go as how I planned it when I was greeted with three pairs of surprised eyes. “Noona,” Chunji greeted me once he walked the hallway directing towards the stairs.

“How have you been, Chunji?” I couldn’t understand my attachment towards Chunji. I don’t hate him, it’s not that. But his eyes always looked so guarded, I could see my own reflection in them.

“Chunji, can you help me open this— Jieun?“ she paused midway once I caught her attention. She handed Chunji the bottle of ketchup and slowly walked towards me. I flinched the time she held my hand, and I think she noticed so she immediately pulled her hand away while looking at me with worry.

“I—I… just needed to get something,” I managed to say, but I wasn’t able to look her in the eyes.

I realized she was trailing behind me, even until I entered my room and I left my door open, just in case everything could get a little suffocating.

“That boy, Chanyeol…” she started and I thought I stopped breathing.

“The people in Busan miss him. After the storm, he came back and helped to build some ruined houses, and then after a week, he came back again just to play with the children. We weren’t even able to say our thanks. But he’s your friend, isn’t he? Could you extend our gratitude to him?” she asks while sitting at the side of my bed.

Silence was the next thing that comforted us, and when she realized I wouldn’t say anything she spoke again, “Are you in a hurry? Why don’t you join us for dinner?”

I shook my head, “You don’t have to tell dad. I won’t take much time, Ahjumma.” I quickly searched the files I am looking for at my drawers.

“Is it really that hard?” she mumbled, now standing, while I catch the compelled smile that formed her lips, and I paused to look at her.

“It’s my fault. I can’t blame you if you won’t recognize me as your… mother,” her voice was starting to shake, so I acted like I didn’t notice and continued looking for my files. Thankfully, I’ve found them, so I quickly put them inside my briefcase.

“Can I just ask for your forgiveness? What… should I do?... Tell me, what I should do for you to at least forgive me?” she was about to touch me again but she stopped herself. I noticed some tears that started falling on her cheeks, but she hastily wiped them off her face. I pushed my drawers to close and walked, and stopped once I’m next to her, our side facing each other.

“Don’t feed him beans, peanuts, and deep fried foods. At the maximum, he could only eat two bars and only dark chocolate every week. Remind him to drink his medicines, but you still have to check if he did because he often times forgets. Make sure that he drinks at least six glasses of water everyday. Don’t let him drink coffee because he will palpitate.  The pills are at the counter next to his study table, he knows but remind him again. Everyday, remind him. Just—“ I paused as I held on tightly on my briefcase, my tears begging to fall.

“Just look out for him. And maybe, I might consider forgiving you… Ahjumma.” I quickly left the house not even minding to answer any of the housekeepers’ questions. I figured that the open door to my room didn’t help at all. I still ended up grasping for air.

 


A/N: I don't know how many chapters left before the end of this story.. but it'll end soon. lol :))