HMS - 29

Heart Made of Steel

“Ma’am, you have a visitor.” my wandering mind has been awakened by Ms. Kim’s voice coming from the speakers.

“Who is—?” that unfinished question has been concluded once I craned the back of my neck to see the person now entering my office door. Subsequently, I was greeted by the person who’s also worth his billion-dollar smile.

“Joonmyun!” I found myself exclaiming in excitement because 1) how long has it been since I last saw him, and 2) I really missed our conversations. It’s rare for me to meet someone who thinks almost the same way as I, whose perceptions about life and anything under the sun are exactly like mine.

Rather than a response, a wider and a more handsome smile curved his lips while I finally stood from my seat. I would be lying if I say I didn’t end up flushing.

Just then, the same office door opened and both Joonmyun and I shifted our focus to the person entering. My heart sank remembering how distant he’s been since he told me that truth about his identity. Maybe it’s my fault, because that morning, I didn’t even mention a single thing about that topic. But, should I? I don’t have any idea how to start. And I have my own issues unsolved, how can I advice him if I can’t even fix my own problems?

“Hello, Mr. Park.” Joonmyun who spoke with a concerned tone was the first to recognize his presence because no words escaped my mouth. I looked at him just to check if my eyes aren’t playing with me, and I was more disappointed to know they weren’t. Chanyeol’s lips are raw and bruised. Did he get into fight? And why wasn’t he answering my calls this morning? And why is he late? And I hate it, but why am I sounding so clingy? But really, what’s with that bruise?

“Ah,” what pissed me more was that discourteous reply he gave Joonmyun. He didn’t even look at him. Instead, he walked briskly towards his desk. And maybe I was too flustered to lately realize he’s smelled of alcohol.

“Chanyeol,” but instead of an angered voice, I ended up sounding concerned. Maybe because I am. His head shifted to my direction with a waiting expression, but upon realizing we weren’t alone inside the office, I raised my index finger signaling that I’m going to attend to him soon. Then, I gestured Joonmyun to have a seat, but he stood still and politely declined.

“It’s okay, I’m in a hurry anyway. I just thought I’d check up on you while I’m here. And I thought I needed to inform you about my latest proposal.” Another flash of smile, softer this time, escaped his lips. I would like to believe he’s born with that kind of smiling ability. Aside from him, who does that?

“I’ve heard and I’ve seen them myself. That’s really original. Is it a lock-out?” I asked while arranging some papers scattered on my desk. Still, with my eyes fixated on him. It’s something I’ve grown to learn from watching my father talk to his colleagues or investors.

“No. Actually, we’re teaming up with your company.” He flashed me yet another smile and I found myself smiling too. His smile is just so contagious, I don’t even have to make an effort to return him one.

A minute or two has passed and before anything get any bit awkward I told him that I’m really happy to see him and he told me he should really go, so I offered to walk him out.

“I almost forgot! It’s our company’s 15th year anniversary on the 13th.” We were walking towards the elevator.

“Oh? I thought it’s on December?” I asked. I’m really sure their anniversary is on a December and not November.

“Yes, next month. December 13.” He concluded so I told him he invites so early and he answered ‘because I know you’re busy’ and I just flashed a smile and he continued, “So save me that date. I won’t take no for an answer.” Then, the elevator door slid open and he gracefully walked in.

“Have a safe ride, Joonmyun. Thanks for taking the time to visit,” I waved at him while he nodded and after a second, the elevator door closed before me. December 13 then.

 

 

After I closed the door behind me, I immediately darted towards Chanyeol’s territory. The reek of alcohol washed over me, and I find myself feeling annoyed by the second.

“Chanyeol,” I sternly called out to him, but the response I got was silence and the same waiting expression.

“What’s up?” he said with a bored tone. I tried to calm myself but the irritation has finally won over me.

“Seriously, Chanyeol?” It was surprising that he didn’t even look at me. Instead, he just kept on typing something on the keyboard of his laptop. More than irritated, I pushed his laptop close using my left hand and that made him shift his focus on me.

“What?” there was a sound of annoyance in his tone but I couldn’t care less.

“What’s your problem?” I unconsciously crossed my arms in defense.

“Nothing. Get back to work,” I almost gape at him. I’m trying my best to reach out to him, which is definitely not my forte (and it’s obvious I’m doing a terrible job), but he wouldn’t let me. I breathed an abnormal amount of air and when I believed I’ve calmed myself, I decided to walk beyond my allowable place and stopped when I was already beside him.

Without much thought, I rested my left hand on his shoulder and sighed. “Hey, talk to me. What happened?” I decided to ask him because it’s the right thing to do rather than planting assumptions in my mind.

Then, his hand hovered on my hand for a couple of seconds before claiming it for him to hold. When he gave me another silence, and realizing this isn’t going anywhere, I found myself embracing him from the back and then I rested my face on his neck.

“She’s coming home again,” I muttered and he loosened my grip on him. Next thing I know, he’s pulled me towards him in a way that I’m sitting on his lap, my side facing him.

“When I talk about her, you couldn’t even control your excitement. I’m getting jealous, Chanyeol,” I have no idea where in the world that came from, but his chuckles comforted me. At least, I think we’re good. Are we really? I wish so.

“You don’t have any idea how much you amuse me, miss COO. I’m sorry. Got into a petty fight back in the bar. When is the arrival?” he planted a soft kiss on my nape so it took me more time to process what he said. I wanted to ask him about the bar incident but his kiss distracted me.

“Tomorrow morning,” I thank myself for having left some sanity with me to answer him. Seriously, how could he make me feel all giddy and happy and crazy at the same time? Even with that single, stupid kiss, I’m overjoyed. This is insane!

“Great! Since I’ve been such an , I’ll make sure I’ll make it up for you tonight?” he wiggled his eyebrows while I tried so hard to hide my flushed face. I failed, so instead, he received a light smack on the arm from me.

“Sorry loverboy, but I’m staying at home.” I confessed. He looked confused with his eyes bigger than usual and his lips agape.

“Keep your door open though. I might end up changing my mind, you need to be a good boy—“ I cut myself when I realized I almost said something I shouldn’t. “I mean, you promised me that if it wouldn’t end the way you thought it should be…” I left my sentence hanging, I knew he’s smart enough to understand.

“It’s good enough that you’re trying. It’s the first step. You still have the keys to my house?” he cupped the side of my cheeks as he kissed me intimately. Just like that, I’m enthralled. He kisses me like nobody else had. I have no idea how he does it, but everytime feels like the first time, and I just couldn’t get enough. And it was him (take note: again) to pull away. He gave me a cheeky grin while brushing my cheeks with his thumb, “I’m a great boyfriend, aren’t I?”

 

 

 

 

That strange feeling in my chest since the time I entered my house hasn’t disappeared. If so, it has worsened. To distract myself, I headed straight to my room and took a quick shower. My phone rang, it was Chanyeol.

“Hey,” I said while drying my hair with another towel. He was asking what I was doing so I told him I just came out of the shower and he said he wished I was with me. I have no idea if he’s thinking of something erted when said that, but it was too vague I decided to let it slip.

There were three knocks on the door, so I told Chanyeol that I need to go. I could hear him silently ranting, “I’m hanging up, annoying,” I smiled when he said he was the most handsome annoying I could lay my eyes on. I think he’s right.

It was our housekeeper, Chaejin, informing me that my Dad has arrived and that he’s calling for me to eat dinner with him. I walked towards the dining area to find my dad talking to someone over the phone. When he saw me approaching, he gave me a nod and gestured for me to sit opposite him.

“Give me two days, I’ll take care of the stocks,” I hear him saying through the phone while I ask Chaejin to bring a pitcher of water. “We’ll be calling for a Board Meeting next Thursday, I’ll be seeing you there?... I’m hanging up,” he ended the call just when Chaejin was pouring my glass water.

“How are you feeling, dad?” I offered him some salad, taking note that I wouldn’t give him beans. “You’re stricter than my nurse, darling,” he commented with his nose scrunched in miniscule irritation.

“You wouldn’t want to have arthritis on the days when you’re taking care of our stocks, would you dad?” I raised him an eyebrow and caught him pouting. Such a kid! Just like a man I miss right now.

“So, any man diverting my daughter’s attention away from me?” he teased, now getting himself some salmon.

“And yet you say I’m stricter than your nurse? Haven’t I given you enough attention, dad?” I scoffed before taking a bite of my own fillet. He shrugged while wriggling his eyebrows, “Is that Chanyeol being good to you?” I almost choked on my food the time he said Chanyeol’s name.

He gave me a heartily laugh, almost coughing, “I don’t like that guy.” I frowned when he said that, but he’s just like me. “Is that so?” It was just a question that escaped my mouth. I’m not even waiting for an answer.

“Well, but I think he’s quite a man. I can tolerate having him around,” he was about to eat a piece of bean, “Don’t even think about it!” but I quickly grabbed his fork and ate that bean instead.

 “Annoying,” he remarked, but I took note of that smile.

Neither of us talked about Choi Eunjee during dinner or even after that. Maybe he wasn’t expecting anything, he’s my dad after all. And I don’t want to expect either. I don’t want to end up disappointing myself.

As the night got older, the strange feeling returned. How will I be able to approach her tomorrow morning? But more than that, Chanyeol’s bruise still lingered on my mind. Sometimes, I feel like he isn’t comfortable with me. There is so much about him that I couldn’t point my finger on, and it frustrates me. I know, I shouldn’t be like this. It sounds rather snoopy and clingy and basically, that isn’t like me.

The time went by so fast, I didn’t even realize it’s already morning and I wasn’t able to pretty much sleep. I tried, but I failed. There are just too many things running on my head—work, Choi Eunjee… Chanyeol. Even after I prepared myself for the day, and still even after I ate my breakfast, there was no sign of her. I just knew she’ll arrive this morning, but I don’t have any idea what time exactly. Somehow, I felt at ease to know that she wasn't yet around because as much as I hate to say this, I wasn’t able to figure out anything.

 

 

When I closed the door behind me, I was surprised to be greeted by a bouquet of tulips and a warm and long embrace. I was in the middle of analyzing my current situation when Chanyeol whispered I’m sorry and I felt my face automatically turned into a soft tint of crimson. I told him he doesn’t have to but he just shrugged and blew his bangs. It’s quite ironic, but I’m starting to find that mannerism of his likable.

“Uh,” when I realized he was trailing behind me instead of walking towards his desk I gave him a questioning look. “I was wondering…” his tone was cautious while he rubbed the back of his neck, and I pursed my lips to stifle a giggle because of his awkwardness. “…are you free next Friday?”  and he finished with another blow of his bangs before flashing me a slightly crooked smile, it was really attractive.

“Let me check my schedule,” I looked for my phone to check my calendar. Unfortunately, I have a scheduled meeting with Joonmyun’s dad that day.

“It’s my mom’s birthday… my biological mom,” he continued and a feeling of guilt and nervousness and excitement hit me like lightning.

“I might be a little late, but I’ll come. Of course, I’d love to meet your mom. What time is it?” In an instant, his face lit up and he kissed me on the cheek. It’s not like that meeting will last forever anyway.

 


HAPPY NEW YEAR GUYS! <3