HMS-14

Heart Made of Steel

 

I didn’t expect this day to be different until it passed. I wouldn’t be surprised if he actually did talk to me… but he didn’t, except when he greeted me this morning, and when he said goodbye when he left. He was just doing his part. I didn’t breach the contract, and in turn he finally stopped annoying me. Different. I shouldn’t have felt anything… it’s usual for me to feel numb. This day, surprisingly, made me feel different, but I have not much time in my hands to comprehend.

Another three days passed, I thought he was just playing with me, but he didn’t talk to me unless it concerns some business matters. We we’re in one room. He is only a few feet away from my territory, but it feels like we’re miles apart.

“Mr. Kim arrived,” I welcomed Mr. Kim before dismissing Ms. Kim.

“Please, sit,” I gestured him to sit at the chair opposite my desk.

“Oh, this is?” he was about to sit when he realized another soul was in the same room. Park Chanyeol stood from his seat and greeted him back.

“This is Mr. Park Chanyeol, youngest son of Director Park Chanjo of CKD enterprises,” we walked near his desk and Mr. Kim extended his hand. He took it, and he shook Mr. Kim’s hand—professionally. He is entirely different and something inside me doesn’t feel so good. I don’t prefer this man standing in front of me, and it’s peculiar of me to even have my preference of what or how he should act because it’s not my business… and because I’m not like this.

“Mr. Kim,” I gestured him back to my desk. In my peripheral view, Chanyeol sat back on his seat as well and continued whatever he was doing.

“The materials will be delivered this Friday. We should start by then,” he started while flipping through the pages of the original proposal I made.

“This looks good, why did you change it?” he asked about the VIP bar that I once included.

“I don’t think it’s a very good idea. Same drinks. Different price. Just because it’s from another bartender from another expensive-looking counter. Price discrimination, I suppose. Not a very good idea if my objective is to market this to people of different classes. Plus, it costs more space,” I explained in detail.

“I see,” he nodded and gently slammed the cover of the thick proposal. I looked at him.

“What?” he asked with a chortle. It was the first time he looked his age, I couldn’t help but softly laugh.

“Nothing…” I shook my head. “…anyway, Friday should be good. Director Lee will meet you tomorrow,” I continued and he smiled in agreement.

“If the weather cooperates and all the other things, this would take approximately five months to construct and another three weeks maybe under the interior designers’ hands. Maybe another week again before we start actual operations,” he was scribbling on a piece of paper.

“That sounds great,” I smiled. “How’s Director Kim?” I initiated another topic.

“He’s doing better. Doctor’s given him prescriptions. Maybe a week and he’ll be able to be discharged off the hospital,” he said while organizing his things to leave. I stood up to usher him out.

“I’m actually about to eat lunch, if you have nothing else to do…” he didn’t finish what he was saying, but I know what he means. I checked my watch, it’s really lunchtime.

“Sure. I’m planning to eat my lunch after this meeting anyway,” and then I realized he was still there, in front of his laptop. Working… I guess? Wouldn’t he eat his lunch?

“Oh… Mr. Park, we’re about to grab some lunch, do you want to come?” Mr. Kim was thoughtful enough to ask him too. He looked at us and stood, but he shook his head.

“Go on, I have to finish this. I’ll eat when I’m done. Nice meeting you Mr. Kim,” he slightly bowed and when Mr. Kim returned him the respect he sat back on his chair, never looking back at us again.

“You have pretty shallow relationship, I assume?” he said before consuming his salad. I was more than surprised when I learned he’s also a vegetarian.

“Sorry, I don’t understand what you’re saying?” I asked him before I start digging up my own share of salad, he softly laughed.

“I don’t know. It’s just that everytime I come to your office, I don’t know if the air conditioner’s set up to somewhere near zero degree. It’s very cold…” he wiped his mouth with his hanky and then we both laughed.

“I can’t believe you have some humor with you, Mr. Kim. But no, I don’t have any relationship issues with Mr. Park. It’s simply…” I was thinking of the right word. “…professional,” I finally said and he nodded, however, looking dissatisfied with my answer. I rolled my eyes. Our laughter was interrupted by a beep from his smart phone.

“Oh, I must be meeting another client, I’m afraid I couldn’t send you back,” we both stood up and he smiled apologetically.

“No, it’s okay. I’m used to heading back alone anyways, piece of cake,” I said and smiled at him.

“You really are an independent woman. Then, I’ll be going,” he bowed to me and I returned him the respect.

Our building’s just a few blocks away. Can’t believe even Mr. Kim realizes the strange relationship I have with Park Chanyeol. Speaking of Chanyeol, did he eat? I didn’t know why I ended up buying him lunch. He’s being really serious about this work… and that’s another thing that surprises me. I don’t even realize I’m thinking about him too much. Okay, ignore.

I entered my office and he wasn’t there. He must’ve gone to eat lunch. I turned my heel around to give this food to the janitor near the elevator instead until I saw him. “God, you scared me!” I almost jumped from shock.

“Uhm? Sorry…” he grabbed both of my shoulders so that he could gently push me to the side and walk past me. “Finished eating your lunch?” he added while sitting back to his desk.

“Uh,” I said. From what I remembered, this is the longest conversation we had since that day. He didn’t look back at me; instead he opened his laptop again and focused on it.

*cough*he didn’t react. I walked slowly near his desk. *cough* he slowly tilted his head up to find me in front of his desk. “You need something?” he casually asked. His voice was monotonous, but different. He is distant, and somehow, I don’t know if agreeing to that contract was the best idea. I agreed to this, therefore I wanted this… and he’s just doing his part.

I carefully placed the food I ordered for him on his desk. “It’s meat,” I said and he looked too surprised. At least there was a reaction. I think I stood for about five seconds before I turned my heel again, about to go back to my territory.

“Thanks,” he said and then he smiled. I smiled back, because in that moment he was the Park Chanyeol I knew.

Another week has passed and everyone’s busy than ever. Mr. Kim started working directly with me last Friday and slowly I’m seeing the foundation of my project. “Excellent,” I mumbled to myself.

“Congratulations,” I heard Mr. Kim say. He must’ve heard me. I smiled and he returned it.

“Mr. Park, please forward the new blueprints to Mr. Co. And would you mind giving me a copy of your list of sponsors, we would be needing them for future reference,” I told him as soon as I saw him enter my our office.

“Good morning,” he greeted me instead. Right, I was too preoccupied with work; I wasn’t even able to greet him first.

“Sorry. Good morning Chan—Mr. Park,” I cut myself off, and he looked astonished for a second.

Whatever delights you,” he gave off a smug smile as I watch him dart towards his desk.

“You’re pretty outstanding keeping your word,” I remarked, monotonously, still keeping my eyes in his direction.

“Are you regretting not breaching the contract?” he said teasingly. I automatically raised my left brow in defense and he chuckled.

“Not at all,” I didn’t know why I sounded unsure. I was waiting for another respond, but he just chuckled again leaving the last statement from me.

We were busy doing our individual works again when Ms. Kim entered our office to call for me. “Ma’am, your father’s calling for you,” she said.

“Anything?” I asked before standing.

She took awhile before answering me. “Another marriage proposal, I suppose,” she finally said.

“I’m working, Ms. Kim. Can’t it wait?” I asked her and she doesn’t answer. I realized Park Chanyeol was looking, so I immediately organized my desk and darted out the office.

“Mr. Kim?” I was more than surprised to see him inside dad’s office and I realized Director Kim is also present.

“Director Kim, an honour to finally meet you. How have you been?” I asked after greeting him and he answered me with a warm smile.

“Sorry… I have no idea about this either,” Mr. Kim finally spoke. I understood immediately what he meant, and why he’s here… and why I’m here.

“It’s okay, it’s not like we’re getting married for real anyway,” I assured him it was fine, because it is. I’ve tons of marriage proposals, from my dad’s friends, from the owner of another company… but none of the parties took it seriously, and I’m pretty confident this would end the same.

“It’s just rather weird, I should be getting used to calling you Joonmyeon now?” I asked and he smiled.

“Don’t worry, I told you I work better with friends. Let’s reap the benefits of this,” he proposed so I nodded in agreement. Besides, even if Dad and Director Kim ended up being serious about this, I don’t really care. Marriage is nothing but a business deal for me. If it’s meant for the success of our name, and our company, I’ll do it.

 


Hey guys!! So sorry for the late late late update. Pretty busy with studies and my organization.. Anyways, I'll be double-updating as a sign of my apology, kay? Peace y'all! :)