HMS-3

Heart Made of Steel

“Yes, Director Lee… I understand… I’ll take the responsibility…I’ll win that proposal, I assure you,” I waited for Uncle Jaesuk to end the call. He is dad’s younger brother, and he is the CFO of this company. He has no family of his own, and when dad was in and out of the hospital, he took care of me. Next to my dad, he is the person I respect the most. But the day I became the COO of the company, he made it clear to me that I should be professional and that I should start calling him Director Lee. The position he has and the position I have now built a thin wall between us.

I sat on my chair and sighed. Patience is a virtue. That’s how my grandfather, my father, and my uncle built this company.

“Ms. Kim, it’s lunchtime, you should eat,” I dismissed her, but she was waiting for me. “Go on Ms. Kim, I’ll be leaving soon anyway,” I told her and she slightly bowed to me before leaving my office.

I checked my watch, 12:20 pm. I stood from my seat and got my bag when a piece of paper embellished with tiny gold vectors caught my eye. It’s Mr. Park’s calling card. “I guess I won’t be needing this,” I picked it up and went back to my desk. I pulled the compartment on the right side of my desk and placed the calling card on top of the many calling cards I’ve received since I took a step in this company.

I drove my car to a nearby salad resto and ordered myself some macaroni salad. I also bought assorted fruits for appa and then I started driving again to the hospital.

“How’d the meeting go?” appa asked me after I gave him a piece of banana. “You haven’t taken your medicine,” I crossed my arms when I saw his medicines on the hospital tray. “I did. It’s for lunch,” he defended himself and I realized he was telling the truth. I sighed.

“Are you okay, honey?” Appa held my hand. “Director Park sent a representative instead, he needed to be in another city for some matters,” I smiled without looking directly at his eyes. “Ohh…I wonder what might have happened?“  he sounded worried.

Dad is a close friend of Director Park. They were pretty good friends and classmates during their elementary years; they drifted when my dad moved to the States to study middle school until college. They met again during a business meeting, and now, they are good business partners. But this is MY project. I want to win this at my own capability, at my own resources, at my own expense.

“Don’t worry dad, I already asked Ms. Kim to schedule another meeting with him,” I said while lightly massaging the hands that held mine, being cautious not to touch the dextrose that’s injected in his skin.

“Aren’t you looking for anyone?” he started another topic again. “I’m a COO appa, that’s the job of an HR. Do you want another piece?” I showed him a piece of orange. He shook his head.

“You know that’s not what I meant,” he looked concerned.

“No. No dad, I’m not looking for anyone,” I said calmly but with conviction. Romance isn’t a priority for me now, it was never a priority for me really.

“You shouldn’t spend your time taking care of me. I want you to be happy,” he said in a low voice, still looking at me with those warm eyes.

“I am happy appa. I have a good career. Uncle Jaesuk’s helping me, so don’t worry, and I have you. I am happy,” I whispered to him and he just looked at me.

 

 



 

wow. It's pretty hard thinking of what to write next, when I'm writing out of boredom. Sorry, if it's a little boring. I'm trying hard to do my best~ ^^