HMS-15

Heart Made of Steel

 

It has been a week since that marriage proposal, and thankfully, Joonmyun is as professional as I expected him to be. However, things had become pretty much… very professional between me and Chanyeol. I wanted this in the first place, I’m not regretting anything. It’s just really frustrating, he’s making me think of him and the way he used to be at times when I’m not doing anything.

I heard my phone ring. Joonmyun’s calling. “Yes. Sorry Joonmyun, I’m really busy today… Sorry, maybe some other time?... I’ll see you this wednesday. Maybe after work?” I suggested we eat lunch this coming Wednesday. I can’t seem to spend some time with him today, I still have many things to finish.

“Thank you. Bye,” I ended the call.

“I don’t know pretty much about salad, so I just told the salad lady to give me anything that has green and chicken,” he lightly placed a box of salad on my desk.

“At least have some protein,” he added and then he blew his bangs. I don’t even know if I’m getting used to that maddening habit.

“Thank you for this Mr. Park,” I told him. Now, it was him who gave me food.

“Who’s Joonmyun?” he asked suddenly.

“Mr. Kim,” I nonchalantly said before opening the box of salad in front of me. Surprisingly, he took a sit opposite of my desk. When was the last time?

“When did you start calling him Joonmyeon?” he asked again. Lines were evident in his forehead and he gave me an accusing look.

“When I knew he was the one my father wanted me marry,” I bluntly said and he just stared at me like I was saying something he couldn’t understand.

“You know, marriage prop—“

“It’s ing 21st century and you agreed to that?” he sounded annoyed. I don’t get why he needed to raise his voice.

“Watch your mouth,” I narrowed my eyes and he just blew his bangs. That again! When will he plan to stop doing that?

“No,” he said it like he was concluding something. He stood up from his seat and crossed his arms.

“…No,” he repeated with stronger conviction and I rolled my eyes.

“Who are you, my dad?” I sounded sarcastic.

“Besides it’s not like I’m taking this seriously. I’ve experienced this since dad became the president of this company, it’s typically a normal thing,” I don’t really know why I ended up explaining this to him. I started eating my salad.

“Good. Because you shouldn’t marry him,” he spoke again… still with a serious face.

“And why is that?” I can’t believe I asked him. It means I’m letting him talk to me, and it’s not even some business matters!

“Because you like me,” he said it arrogantly. I nearly choked from what I’m eating. Seriously, I wanted to throw the salad he gave me on his face. I’ve never met anyone in my life as straightforward and as thick-faced as him.

“Get back on your seat, you’re starting to get into my nerves,” I pointed his desk and he obediently walked his way back to his territory.

“Dad!!” I dropped the cupcakes I bought when I saw him lying on the floor of his room, unconscious…….

“Yes, Director Lee… he’s stable now… I told Ms. Kim to cancel it for me… No, I can handle—… thank you…” I waited for uncle Jaesuk to end the call. He was on his way back to Korea to meet with Mr. Han. Dad’s in a coma, I don’t know what happened.

“Ma’am,” I woke up when I heard a voice call me… it was Ms. Kim.

“Ms. Kim,” I stood up to greet her. She was holding a basket of fruits. I offered to put it in the refrigerator but she insisted it on herself.

“How is the President?” she asked when she walked near dad’s hospital bed.

“He’s stable now. The doctor said he had a heart attack… ahhh, I kept on telling him to rest and he still kept on working. He’s an old man, and yet he’s very stubborn,” I crossed my arms and leaned on the wall.

“President Lee loves his company. I think other than his family, the company’s his whole life,” she commented. I know that Ms. Kim likes my dad, but it doesn’t really bother me in any way. She is kind, and composed. She used to be father’s executive assistant until he became the president.

 “Ma’am, you should at least get your things. I can stay for awhile,” I hesitated first but she’s right, I have no clothes, no money, no anything. I immediately asked our driver to drive to this hospital so I ended up bringing nothing with me.

When I went inside the house, Chaejin, one of our housekeepers greeted me.

“Ma’am, I saw this on the floor when I cleaned President Lee’s room. I don’t know what this is, so I decided to just handle it to you,” she handed me a white envelope and I accepted it.

I went straight to my room and headed to my closet. I’m used to packing my things, I’ve done this all my life. I remembered the white envelope Chaejin handed me but before I could open it, I heard my phone beep.

From: Park Chanyeol-Office

Heard what happened from Appa. On our way to the hospital, but I don’t know what room number?

I effortlessly tapped the screen for a reply. And then my phone rang… Joonmyeon’s calling.

“No, I understand… Thanks for calling, Joonmyeon… It’s really okay, I’ll be back on the hospital… I already asked Ms. Kim to deliver me the paperworks tomorrow morning… yes, bye,” I ended the call.

I ended up bringing the white envelope with me and drove back to the hospital. When I entered the room, I was surprised when I only saw Chanyeol.

“Hey,” he greeted me while putting on a warm smile.

“Where’s Ms. Kim? Director Park?” I asked confused.

“Ms. Kim told me she needed to excuse herself, something came up in the office I think. Dad just left, he has a meeting so…” he didn’t finish what he said.

“Aren’t you busy?” I asked while leaving my bag at the sofa near him.

“I already finished most of it. Besides, I need some rest,” he explained. Judging from his look, he’s really stressed. Dark circles started forming under his eyes.

“You’ve been working hard Mr. Park, somehow you’ve exceeded my expectations. You should go back. Thanks for watching him, until I came back,” I complimented him, I know he deserved that.

“Ahh, I shouldn’t have made that contract,” he was smiling ironically, and then he stood from his seat. I just returned him with an uninterested look.

“I really miss talking to you…” he continued and suddenly that alien warm feeling in my stomach started forming again.

“You just annoy me. Anyhow, we should comply with the agreements, Mr. Park,” I managed to tell him instead, and he chuckled.

“Can I just breach the agreement and pay for damages?” he walked near me and lowered his head so that our eyes could level.

“It’s very costly. I suggest you should stick to the agreement,” I raised my eyebrows twice and he just wrinkled his nose. I managed not to laugh.

“Fine, keep that up. Just tell me if I should stop,” he finally raised his head again.

“Stop what?” I creased my forehead, curious of what he means.

“Stop this act. Until then, I won’t annoy you,” he ruffled my head and started walking past me.

“Don’t wait for something that wouldn’t happen,” I nonchalantly told him.

“You already said I exceeded your expectations. Call me if you need something,” he said without looking at me. Instead, he raised his right hand to gesture goodbye and walked out the door. Idiot. He only really believes what he wants to believe. I will never be able to fix him.

I settled myself on the sofa when I remembered the white envelope Chaejin handed me. I took it out my bag and carefully tore the edge of it.

Choi Eunjee.

It was a profile of a woman, age 44. On the upper-right side, a 2x2 picture of her. Through clenched teeth, I barely managed to utter that name again—Choi Eunjee. It didn’t take me too long to figure out who she is… just a different name, but it’s the same heartless woman who left us years and years ago.

Choi Eunjee, the widow of the deceased Choi Kyunghee, a once renowned architect of their place who lost everything they had because of his sickness, cancer. Choi Eunjee, now living in the far coast of Busan, currently an urban preschool teacher with little less than a dollar of salary per day, and with five kids left to feed.

The information imprinted on the fine white paper would have concluded everything… she lives in poverty. She’s having a difficult time surviving because Karma has played her, but flipping through another page are 3R pictures of what becomes of her life. Pictures that tell a different side of what must’ve been the story.

She is smiling in every picture. I wanted to question the one who took these if these are indeed candid, stolen shots. These are too good to be true.

The permanent lines on her forehead are evidence of a difficult life… but she is happy. As if she isn’t regretting anything… but she should. Because the lives of the people she neglected are way better than the life she’s living, and the only wrong thing is that she isn’t aware of it!

I found myself crumpling the side of the white paper full of her hideous information. Thankfully, I was able to stop myself before losing my sanity.

All these years, I could never forgive her for what she’s done. I’ll make her regret everything… in front of her children. I’d gamble everything that I have to make her feel as little and as useless as the littlest and the most useless creature in the world. It wouldn’t even take me a bullet to end her life… depression will eat her alive.

With trembling hands, I managed to put the papers back into the envelope and hide it on my bag. The hate that consumed me all these years hasn’t vanished. Irony must be playing with me all my life… It’s funny how the person who is supposed to take care of you, to make you feel alive, is the one who actually killed you. I’m coming for her and I wouldn’t feel anything, because she was the one who taught me how to be lifeless, to be numb. I’m coming for her and soon enough, I’ll be the death of her.

 

 


Yay! Double-update done! I'm guessing more dramas on the next chapters. And who's loving chanyeol? Well, I am! Till my next update~