HMS-1

Heart Made of Steel

 

“Dad, take your medicine,” I tried to keep my tone down. He stayed silent, he’s being stubborn again. I sighed as I placed the tablets back on the tray.

I’m inside the hospital for the nth time, but I’m used to this place. Hospital has been my home for two years and every now and then I live here. Dad was diagnosed with leukemia two months after the woman who gave birth to me left us. Good thing he was attended as early as possible, and after two years of chemotherapy, the doctor declared he was a survivor. After a year, his doctor told him the cancer cells became malignant again. Stress was a factor.

Of course I was too young that time, everything only made sense to me after another two years or so. Dad never thought of remarrying though. He spent all these years, with the help of Uncle Jaesuk, expanding the company their late father handed down to them.

“I want you to look for her,” he spoke in his usual calm voice. People wouldn’t believe he is the President of that multi-national company with that gentle voice. I acted oblivious. Just then the nurses came to check-up on him.

“Dad, I’m going to be late for my first proposal if I stay another minute. Drink your medicine, okay?” I kissed him on the forehead and he gave me a smile that doesn’t reach his eyes.

“Dad. Your medicine. Don’t be stubborn,” I pointed at the tablets again while looking at him. He nodded in surrender.

I checked my face on the mirror of the sun visor once again. I got satisfied looking very professional. This is my first major proposal as the Chief Operating Officer of my Dad’s company. Yes, being the only daughter of the president of Golden Lee Corporation has some perks. I didn’t have to spend so many years to get promoted. I didn’t wait for the position of COO; instead, the position was there all years waiting for me. All that’s left for me was to study and get very outstanding grades.

But reality bites, people who stayed longer in the company think it was absurd. They didn’t find my grades enough to run a company. Besides, I have no direct experience in the first place—what in the world do I know about running a company? But again, it’s reality. Dad owns almost half of the stocks of the company; he is very influential among his colleagues—I won the vote of the majority.

“I’ll win this bid dad. I’ll live up to our family’s legacy,” I took a deep breath before I stepped out of my car.

“Morning ma’am,” Ms. Kim, my executive assistant, handed me my everyday Starbuck’s coffee upon seeing me walking the hallway leading to my office. I slightly smiled as a sign of acknowledgement. Aside from her, nobody in the company really wants to talk to me… unless there’s no other choice but to do so.

“I’m not late,” I said after I stared at the watch Dad gave me as my High School graduation gift. “Just in time!” she assured me. “By the way, Director Park called, he said he couldn’t attend the meeting—“

“Dial his number, I’d propose another date for a meeting with him,” I didn’t realize I cut her off. “Uhm, that wouldn’t be necessary ma’am—“ “What? I mean why is that?” disappointment was evident in my tone. I worked damn hard for this, and he didn’t even give me the chance???

Business is not plain business in reality. To win someone’s yes in a corporate bidding proposal, sometimes getting personal is inevitable. So I searched for some background information about our major investors.

Mr. Park Chanjo, just like my dad, inherited their company from his father. They own hundreds of elite night clubs in the world. Mrs. Park owns a clothing line of her own that has more than 300 branches worldwide. And they have three children, Donghee, Minha and Chanyeol. Donghee graduated in Yale and is now running half of his dad’s businesses while Minha’s still taking up her master’s degree in Harvard. However, no family’s perfect. Even the family of Mr. Park wasn’t spared from this.

Party boy, a leader of a well-known fraternity during his college years, nationally known cassanova, aka his family’s black sheep—that is Park Chanyeol.

“The meeting will continue ma’am, you’ll be presenting your proposal.” I snapped back from reality. Did I hear her right? “Excuse me?” I asked her as we entered the room to where I should be presenting my proposal. “Director Park said that he will send someone as his proxy,” she said while assisting me in preparing my presentation.

“Yes… she is ready… I’ll usher him until here, wait for me,” she ended the phone call as she excused herself. When Ms. Kim left the room, I inhaled again. After a minute or two the door finally opened. I stood up from my seat ready to greet whoever it is I shall present my first major proposal to. “Ma’am, this is the representative of Director Park, his youngest son—“

“Park Chanyeol, honored to see you,” he took my hand and kissed the back of it. I gritted my teeth.

 

 



First chapter's done. Please wait for my next chapters. For now, do comment. :)