Why Umma?

Strangers with Memories. (ON HIATUS!)

"How do I look Umma?", I asked her. I was wearing the new uniform of my job. The color was light brown, but when I started the color was blue.
"I heared you'll have some special guest in the restaurant.", said my mom. She was sitting on my bed, while watching me how I looked myself in the mirror.
"Yes, mom. I don't know who they are, but I'm going to serve them.", I said a bit nervous. This was the first time, that I would take the order of some VIPs.
"Oh really? But don't worry, I'm sure that you'll do your best!", she smiled.
"But I'm still nervous...what if they order so much food, that I can't carry it and I'll drop everything all over the floor?", now I began to get more nervous then before. There were so many 'what if' questions that I almost got crazy.
"You have to chill down K! Relax!", said my mom and we both burst into laugher.
"I love the teenage language! Check this out!", she began doing some weird moves with her arms. I couldn't stop laughing.
"Umma stop! Please, my stomach is already hurting!", I said under my laughers.
"Arasso, arasso.", she stoped but was still smiling.

"Mom, you seem happy today.", I said happily. 
"Are you so happy, because you don't have to work today again?", I asked her curious. Suddenly she had a sad smile on her face.
"No...I'm going to visiting someone.", she stood up and at herself in the mirror.
"It's a while ago since we met each other.", she said with a strange voice.
"Is it someone I know?", I asked her still curious. At first she didn't answered, then she suddenly jumpend and ran out of my room.
"Umma?", I asked confiused. I was about to follow her but suddenly she stand on my threshold. She came towards me and put something little in my hand.
"It's your birthday present...I forgot.", she smiled shy, what was absolutly untipical for my mom. I looked down on my hands and I began to scream.

"A mobile phone Umma?!", I yelled. She nodded.
"B-but...wasn't it expensive?", I asked still in a shock. This was the first time that I would have a mobile phone.
"Yah! You dare?", she hit me on my back. "Shouldn't you not just be happy and grateful, that you've got a mobile phone? And now you're asking me if it was expensive? Can't you just be happy. Brazen girl.", she shook her head, but I saw that she tried to hide a smile.
"Umma!", I hugged her tightly. 
"Thank you so much." I said very serious. I knew that it must have been cost very much, for our conditions of course, but I was still grateful.
"You're welcome my dear.", then we both looked at the clock and our eyes almost popped out of the orbit.
"I'M LATE!", I screamed and ran towards the door. My mom was right behind me with my bag and food. As fast as I could I put my shoes on, while my mom tried to put my lunch in my bag.
"Here!", she put it over my shoulder.
"Thank you mom.", I was about to go, but she hold my wrist. I turned around and looked at her face. Her eyes were full of tears.
"I'm so proud of you.", she whispered.
"Be strong Katara ok?" she looked now in my eyes. I smiled. Sometimes my mom was really weird.
"I promised you, didn't I? So don't cry, ok. I will just take the order and give my best!" She nodded and hugged me.
"I love you Katababy, never forget that ok?" I was a bit surprised, that she used this nickname. When I was young, she always called me like that, but one day I went angry and I told her that I wasn't a little baby anymore. She should just call me Katara, nothing else.
I hugged her back.
"I love you too Mommy."
"Go now!" , she pushed me a bit.
"Yes, see you later Umma!", I waved and began to ran. She waved back and went back to the house.





Hara's view

I waved and went back into the house. I sighed. Everything was ready. She only has to find them, but where I'm going to hide them, until she comes back? I thought a bit and I got an idea. In her room of course. When she's going to change her clothes, she'll find it.
I went to her room and but the things on her bed.
"She will be strong!", I said loud to myself.
I went to my room and made me ready.
"I didn't thought that we'll meet so soon again.", I smiled at the little foto I had in my hand and joyful tears came on my cheek.





Katara's view

"Thank god, you're here!", said my boss and pushed me in his office.
"Listen Katara.", he began. "Today we have VIPs in our restaurant. I know that you're still new, but I see that you always give your best."
I nodded. I wasn't so nervious anymore. My mom brought me to laugh and I relaxed.
"I know all my employee. But you're the first one who really impressed me in only one month. That's the reason why I took you, to serve our VIPs."
"Thank you.", I said happy.
"Don't be nervous, arasso? Only take the order, smile all the time and be friendly. I have my hopes in my Katara."
"I'll do my best boss."
"Good!", he clapped his hands, "Then let's go now." We walked until we were infront of the counter, but then my boss whispered in my ear:
"They have a strong accent! But please try to understand them ok?" *Accent?* I thought confiused. Were these VIPs foreigner?

"Welcome, Mr and Mrs Jung!", greeted the boss.
"It's really a pleasure, to have you here as my guests. I hope you'll feel comfortable.", he bow down.
"Thank you very much.", the man smiled a bit.
"She will be your waiter for today.", he pointed at me and I bow down immediately.
"Welcome Mr and Mrs Jung, my name is Park Katara and I will take all your orders."
"Really? But you're really young.", asked the woman. Now I understood what my manger mean...they had really an accent...but a Busan accent.

"I hope we can end our discusion fast. I want to play soccer with my friends.", said a very familiar voice. When you looked up you saw, Deahyun coming. *Daehyun?*, I thought. *Busan accent?*. I was really stupid. These adults were his parents! Although it was Daehyun, I had to be politly and friendly.
"This is our son, Jung Daehyun.", announced Mr Jung. Me and my boss bend down.
"Welcome Mr Jung...Junior?", asked my boss with a laugh, but I could hear his nervousness.
"Daehyun is enough.", he answered. Then he looked at me.
"Katara?", he asked irritaded. *Stupid idiot! If you dare doing some strange things, I could lose my job* I thought angry, but a placed a little smile on my face.
"Welcome Mr Jung.", I bow down again.
"You know each other?", asked Mrs Jung. Daehyun didn't answered, he just looked down on me. *Daehyun you idiot, don't say something about the thrown out!*, I felt like crying.
"Daehyun?", his mother asked again.
"She was in my school.", he answered and shrugged. "Can we go now? I want to get the discusion over with."
"Would you please follow me.", I said turned to his parents. I began to walk and they walked after.

I show them their table. They sat down and I gave them their menus.
"What would you advise us?", asked Mr Jung after a while. I advised them to eat special court.
"Well then I will take your special court.", Mr Jung winked. I smiled, he seemed to be a very friendly man.
"I'll have a little salade please.", said his woman. She had a really strong accent and it was a bit hard to understand.
Daehyun didn't said a thing. After I while I decided to ask him.
"Did you already chosed your court Mr Jung?"
"First: Just call me Daehyun, not Mr Jung or other ok? Second: I don't want to eat anything. Just give me some coke and that's it."
I was a bit shoked he never talked so rude to me. But I tried to hide my shock.
"Of course. Mr and Mrs Jung, your court will be ready in a few minutes...Daehyun I'll bring your drink right now." I bow down and went downstairs to my boss.
"What did they ordered?", he asked curious and nervous. I gave him the note and he ran immediately to our cook.
"Yah Cook! You have to do the best special court and salade you've ever done, arasso?!", he went inside the kitchen, to control our cook. I smiled a bit. Our boss was full with power and really funny. I liked him a lot. I went behind the counter and took a glass. I put some coke in there and upstairs, to Daehyun and his parents.

"But you have to prepare yourself!", said his dad with a very firm voice.
"You can't just hang out and meet your friends!"
"Look the Daehyun, the comapany of your father...", began his mother, but Daehyun interrupted her.
"I don't give a damn about this stupid company.", he said angry.
"You dare talking so rude with your mother?", Mr Jung's face was red.
"Honey...", she put one hand on his shoulder to calm him down.
"I already told you, that I don't want to inherit the company!", he said still angry.
"But what do you want to do then? Sell Puffed Rice on the streets?", he asked sarcastically.
"You both know what I want to do.", he whispered.
"Do you really think, that you could become an idol?", asked his father. Suddenly he began to laugh.
"Do you laughing at me?", asked Daehyun annoyed.
"Of course I do! Beeing an idol? Jumping on the stage and singing a bit? Please.", he laughed again.

"Your coke.", I said und surprised the family. They didn't noticed that I was standing all the time on their side. I put the coke on Daehyuns place and bend down again.
"Your food will come in a few minutes.", I said and went downstairs again.

He wanted to become an idol? Daehyun? I was confiused. He had money and he could just inherit the company of his dad and everything would be fine. His future was saved. But he had a dream, he wanted that his dream became true. *stupid boy* I thought with a smile *risking his future, just because he had a crazy dream*
I had also a dream. My dream was to become lawyer. I hated unfairness and surppression. But it was only a dream. How could I become a lawyer when I don't had any money. How could I become a lawyer, when I couldn't go to school, neither to university? I would just stay a little loser who takes the order of people.
But Daehyun could just inherit the company and he could help people. Donate money for poor people or something...but he wanted to become an idol. Ridiculous.

"Food is ready!", screamed my boss and ran towards me.
"Take it.", he put the both plates in my arms and pushed me a bit.
"Be friendly and smile!", he advised me and I went upstairs.

"You know, that there is a big risk to become an idol.", said Mrs Jung. When my gaze fell on Mr Jung and Daehyun, I only saw 2 red tomatos.
"You would have stay 13 years with the same company. If you're ill they won't care, you would just have to perform on stage."
"There is no difference for me, between your company or another company. Both would take me under fog...oh no wait, there is a difference. Only one could really make me happy."
"Ridiculous!", said his father and hit with his fist on the table.
"Do you really think, dreaming is ridiculous?", Daehyund asked provokating.
"Did you never had a dream father?"
"I had. But in contrast to you I was a realistic thinking guy, who knew that it won't work, so I inherit the company of my father and you see I'm happy about my choice!"
Daehyun just shook his head.
"Mr and Mrs Jung.", I said. Their gaze where on me.
"Here are cour courts.", I placed each court on the right side.
"Bon appetite.", I said. When I was about to go, Daehyun's father called me.
"Ms Park, could you wait for a minute.", I turned around surprised and went back to their table.
"Is something missing Mr Jung?", I asked in fear. If anything goes wrong, I'm dead.
"No, no Ms Park, everything is fine, I have just some questions." I nodded. Now I was very curious.

"You know my son, right? "
"Yes, sir."
"Did you ever see him dancing?", he asked. I was confiused, but I answered honstly.
"No, sir."
"Did you ever heared him singing?", he continued asking. I thought about that.
"Yes, sir. But only once and it was just accidentelly.", I answered. His gaze was now on Daehyun.
"You see, not even me saw you singing or dancing. Do you really think, that you could be an idol if you're so shy infront of other people?"
Daehyun stood up.
"I go now.", he was on his way to the stairs.
"Daehyun, please.", his mom begged but he was already gone.
"Aish, this boy...", Mr Jung said behind his teeth.
"Can I may say something?", I asked Mr and Mrs Jung.
"Of course.", Mrs Jung smiled at me.
"You know...I-I know your son...although he was a bit rude today, I think in the end he'll do the right thing. He never act thoughtless, so I think you just have to give him time...you know...to think." I said. Actually this was very stupide of me. I didn't knew his parents. The only thing I knew was that they were the managers of the Jung Company in Busan. Their problems were not on my bisnuess. But I felt sorrow for them...for having problems only because of the stubborness. The stubborness of Daehyun and his dad.
"Thank you, young lady.", Mr Jung smiled.
"I think my son should be grateful to have such a supporting friend like you."
"Thank you sir.", I bow down and went downstairs.

Mr and Mrs Jung thanked for the wonderful food and praised me. They said to my boss that I was a good waiter and that they will tell their friends to come here and eat. My boss was so happy, that he gave me a salary increase. That really made my day.

When I was outside on my way home, I felt hand on my mouth.
"If you scream, I'll kill you.", said a very deep voice. I reacted. I steped with my feet on his. He screamed in pain. Then I turned around and kicked him with my knee between his legs. Again a little scream then he fell on the ground.
Only now I recognized him.
"YONGGUK?"
"Why Katara, why?" he whimpered on the ground. **. 
"I-I'm sorry!", I helped hin on his feets.
"But why did you had to scare me?", I asked. I felt really really sorry.
"I just wanted to make a joke.", he was still whimpering.
"Then you're stupid. It's already dark. I have to defeat myself!"
"But I didn't expected, that you were so strong...or your kicks." 
He looked into my eyes and I looked back. Only now I felt how much I have missed him.

"Where were you?", I asked. "I missed you.", I whispered.
"I'm sorry.", he hugged me tightly. He put his chin on my head.
"I was at my parents house...my dad went ill and I wanted to visit him."
"Is he alright?", I asked shocked. His dad was a very friendly man. He teached me so many things...he was like a father for me.
"Yes he is now.", he smirked.
"I wanted to spend your birthday with you, but at once I had to visit my dad. I talked with Himchan. I told him to spend the day with you." I nodded.
"But he didn't came.", I simply answered.
"WHAT?", he yelled. "He didn't came?"
"No.", I gave back. He ruffled his hair in frustration.
"This guy, really."
"But fortunately...", I began, wellknowing, that he wouldn't be happy now."...I spend my day with Daehyun."
"What did you do?"
"Your so called friend Himchan send Daehyun to my house, so I couldn't help but spend the day with him."
"Himchan did what?" He couldn't believe it. I just nodded.
"It was really a pitty. But I had much fun with Daehyun...oppa." I wanted to tease. Oh, how bad I wanted it.
"How did you just call him?", his face went pale.
"Daehyun oppa." I blinked innocent.
"We both discussed if we should bring our friendship to the next level...at first I wasn't sure. But then we were at his home...and he took of his t-shirt..."
"PARK KATARA!", he yelled, now red of jealous.
"Just kidding!", I laughed and ran away.
"You should know me better!", I said.
"Wait, you little brazen girl!", he ran after me. He grabed me on my waist and began to tickle me.
"No...hahaaha..stop!", I hated when people tickled me. And he knew it.
"This is for your effrontery", he contiuned tickling me.
"And this...", he stopped and bend down to kiss me. "...is for your missed birthday."
In this kiss he put so much passion that I felt like pudding in his arms.
"Apology accepted.", I smiled and continued kissing him.

He walked me home, his fingers with mine interwined.
Infront of my door he stopped. I sighed.
"We are already together since one month and you still not dare facing my mom?", I asked sad. He also sighed.
"I still feel ashamed.", he whispered. I hold his hand tighter.
"You don't have to and you know that. She always visited you in prison. She brought you food and talked to you. You know, how thankful she was, that you always taked care of me...now please do me that favor and come in with me."
"Katara."
"Pleeeeeeeease!", I began to make my best aegyo I could.
"Ok, ok, but please stop that.", he tried to pretend annoyed but he couldn't hide his smile.
"Yes!", I lifted my fist in victory and opened the door.

I switched the light on called my mom.
"Umma, are you home?" But there was no answer. Yongguk was still staying on the threshold.
"Come in.", I pushed him inside. Then I remembered something.
"Yongguk, next time if you can't or something you can call me now.", I smiled. But he just looked confiused.
"Look!", I showed him my new mobile phone.
"Finally!", he said happy. We both laughed and entered the living room. But we both stopped laughing. Immediately.

My mom was laying on the couch. Vomited was on the ground. Saliva on the right side of .
Then I saw 4 big yogurt cups on the table, with 10 white little packets.
"U-u-umma?", I was in a daze. Suddenly Yongguk ran towars her and shook her a bit.
"Hara?", he called her name and put his hand on her face but she didn't reacted.
"Hara?", he asked again. Now his hand was on .
"K-katara call an ambulance! Now!", he yelled. I didn't moved. I couldn't move. He stood up and took the mobile phone out of my hand.
"W-we need an ambulance. Please come fast!...I don't know...there is everywhere vomited...she don't move...I don't know!...No hear are only yogurt cups...no wait, there is something else..." He went to the table and took one of the white packets.
"...Sleeping pills..." he whispered.


Finally I got out of my daze and tried to wake up my mom. But there was no reaction. Ater 15 minutes the ambulance arrived.
"Please!", I cried. "Help my mom! Please.", I was sobbing and I couldn't stop crying. The man pushed me slightly away and felt .
"Please, help her, please! She is the only person I have! Please save my mom, please."
The man stood up. His face was full of sorrow.
"I'm so sorry.", he said.
"No.", I shook my head. "No, no, no, no!", I pushed the man away and kneed down. "Umma, wake up.", I shook her.
"Umma, don't pretend, arasso, umma.", I shook her again. "Wake up umma!", I screamed. "Wake up!", I cried.
"We have to take her with us, young lady." said a female voice. I shook my head. "No."
"Young lady..." "I said NO!", I screamed.
"Wake up umma! They want to take you with them! Please umma!" I was still shaking her.
"Katara..." Yongguk kneed down and hugged me. "I'm so sorry.", he whispered. "Leave me.", I tried to get out of his handle but I couldn't.
His hugg went tighter and he brought himself and me on our feets. Still holding me closely on his body, he took a few steps back and I began to scream.
"Leave me! LEAVE ME!", I screamed. The more I tried to get out of is his handle, the more his grab went tighter. The man lifted my mom up. She didn't move.
"LEAVE MY MOM ALONE! PLEASE! SHE IS THE ONLY ONE I HAVE! PLEASE", my voice broked all the time but I contiuned screaming.
"Please, my brother is already dead! Please don't take her with you, please!" But the man kept on. He put her on the carrying and the woman helped him to bring her out.
"NO!", I screamed. "DON'T LEAVE ME UMMA! MOMMY"
Yongguk was still holding me. "Katara, please..." I couldn't breath anymore. I began to hyperventilate.

My mom...she was dead.