Chapter 3

Always There For you

" Professor! Wha... Welcome!" I was shocked. My professor from college came to the coffee shop to have some breakfast.

" Jaelin ssi? You work here?" Professor Kim asked.

" Yes. You see, I have some financial problem, so I need to work to pay for college." I said.

" Ah... I didn't know... Well... Can you give me and egg tart and a cup of americano?" 

" Sure! I'll send it here as soon as possible." I turned around and walked to the kitchen.

" Are you kidding me? Do you know jow much this cost? My dad bought me these!" I heard someone shouting outside. I rushed outside to see what happened.

" Is everything all right Hansun?" I asked. Hansun is the new girl. She just started working here last week and she is still learning.

" Unnie, I... I..." Tears are filling her eyes.

" So, you're in charge here?" The girl who shouted asked.

" Yes, may I help you?" 

" This girl here spilt coffee all over my handbag! Do you know how much this cost? I'm sure you couldn't afford it even if you saved up your salary for a year!" She said.

" Excuse me?" I was kinda angry by what she said.

" What? Isn't it true? A barista like you could earn how much a day? 1000 won? 1500 won?" She mocked.

" I shall pay you back. In three months, by using my own salary!" I said.

" Hahaha... You think you can do it? In three months? That's unbelievable!" 

" I..."

" Stop all this at once!" Professor Kim said suddenly. " Ah, Hana, it's been such a long time." 

What? Professor know that girl?

" Uncle Kim..." Her face changes. She looked scared. 

" Hows your father Hana? Is he fine? Since when are you back in Korea?" 

" He's fine... We just came back here last week." She answered quietly.

" Now tell your father I'm sorry about your handbag and I will pay for it. So there's no need to shout at the barista anymore right?"

" Yes uncle."

" Now Jaelin, go back to work. And Hana, you run along." 


" Professor Kim... Who's that girl?"

" She? She's my niece. Went to the states when she was just a little girl. She's scared of me even since she was young. Hmm don't know why."

" I'm sorry professor. I'll pay you back when I receive my salary." I said, bowing.

" There's no need. But if you really want to pay, you can pay by helping me as my lab assistant. As you can see, I'm having an experiment and my old lab assistant graduated already. A girl as smart as yourself will be perfect for me as a lab assiatant." Professor said.

" Can I really? Wow. What an honour!" I said.

" But I have to warn you, I might call you anytime to the lab if anything changes on the specimen. I might even call you in the middle of he night!" He said.

" Don't worry professor. I can handle it!" I said. " Thanks professor!"

" Whoa look at the time. You have classes with me later right? Come an hour early, I'll need you to do some research and paperwork for me." 

" Yes sir!" I said and smiled brightly.

" Unnie, thanks for everything." Hansun said.

" Hey! Are you ok? No need to thank me. You're my junior and I'll need to protect you okay?" I said.

" Too bad Minjae oppa and Jisun unnie are not here. They could have just solve this problem easily. And I... You just got insulted because of me. " She said, still feeling guilty for what she did.

" Hey... Don't felt bad. This is just the beginning of your working life. It's part of life. Everyone faces challanges. Now, go run along and see if the chocolate cake is done. If it is, then turn off the oven."