Chapter 1

Always There For you

" Jaelin ah! You're gonna be late if you don't go now!" Jisun unnie shouted at me.

" Nae unnie! Just this last cup of coffee and I'm off!"

Jaelin is my name. Jung Jaelin. My parents passed away when I was just a little girl and my grandparents raised me and took care of me. They moved to the countryside when my grandfather retired because they wanted some quiet environment.

I rushed to subway station to take the train to my college. I was just in time. 

" Annyeong!" I shouted to my friends.

" Yah Jung Jaelin! You're late again today!" My friend- Suzy said.

" Mianhae... I was busy making decorations on my coffee and forgot the time." I said.

" Aigoo... You need to treat us with some of your coffee then." Hyosung said.

" Sure!" 

I worked at the local coffee shop or some people called it cafe. It was a sweet and nice place. The aroma of coffee every morning just made me feel so happy to be working there.

" Oh there he is! Park Minjae sunbaenim. Isn't he cute?" Suzy said.

" Good afternoon Jaelin!" Minjae sunbae said.

" Hey! Your class just ended?" I asked.

" Yup. Going to the coffee shop now. Umm hey, you think you could take my shift tonight? I need to go back home. It's my sister's birthday today." He said.

" Oh sure! No problem! I can handle it." I said.

" Thanks! I owe you this once! I'll treat you to lunch some day!" He said.

" Remember what you said!" I said, waving to him as he walked away.

" You're so lucky Jaelin ah.." Suzy said.

" Yeah, I'm jealous." Hyosung said.

" Come on girls, he's just a sunbae. We worked together. Nothing else." I said.

" Well still, you got to see him every single day!" Hyosung said.

" Let's get to class okay?" I pulled the both of them to class.


" Jaelin ah, where's Minjae?" Jisun unnie asked me.

" Sunbae said he'll be going home because today is his sister's birthday. I'm taking his place today."

" Aigoo.. That guy.. You sure? I'll leave you in charge then." 

" Yup! Sure!'

" I'm leaving okay? Lock the door when you go home." Jisun unnie said.

" Okay!"

I sat there, by the counter. Trying to think up some new flavors for the coffee. Hmmm.... What should I do? Aha! Dark chocolate coffee! I mmade some and taste it... Wow! It's more nicer than I imagined.

I glanced around, no customers, and my eyelids are getting heavy. Before I knew it,I fell asleep.

" Emm... Excuse me. Are you guys still open?" A guy asked me. " It's not safe to fall asleep alone you know. You might get robbed." He added.

I woke up with a shock. " Yes! Oh I'm sorry. Thanks for the concern. Hehe.. May I help you?" 

" Can I have a cup of coffee? A hot one please."

" Do you want to try my new invention? It's the dark chocolate coffee." I said, smiling.

" Sounds nice. Okay! I'll have that." He smiled back.

He sat down by the table. And looked at the shop. 

" Here you go." I said.

" Thanks. What a nice shop." He said.

" Yeah. I liked it here too. That's why I worked here." 

" Would you mind sitting down and chat with me? Being alone is no fun." He said.

" Okay. Since there are no more customers."

" Do you know who am I?" He asked.

" No. Why should I? I just met you today." 

" Oh then never mind. My name is Myungsu, but just call me L." 

" My name is Jaelin. Jung Jaelin." I said. " Nice to meet you." 

" Are you about to close your shop? Cause it say ' Open hours: 8am to 9.30 pm.' And now it's already 10 pm you know." He asked.

" It's okay. You take your time first." I said. 

" So, do you live around here?" He asked.

" Yeah, just a few blocks from here." I said.

" Really me too! You know, there's a place that sells the best sushi ever!"

" Where? Oh my I love sushi."

" You know the grocery store down the junction?"

" Yeah?"

" It's just upstairs. You need to go upstairs. "

" It sells sushi up there? I thought it was a bookstore or something."

" Its actually something like a sushi bar/library. You can read books there while enjoying sushi! " And he smiled at me.

" Whoa.. Cool.."

" This is such a nice place. I'll bring me friend over next time. He's a coffee maniac you know."

" He sound interesting. I am a coffee maniac too."

" Really? Then you two should meet." He drink his coffee and finished it. " Thanks for the coffee. How much was it?"

" Emm... Its okay. It's free, a treat from me. For making a new friend." I said. 

" Really? Wow. Thanks then. Let me help you close up your shop." He said. " It already so late and it's dangerous for a girl to be alone you know."

" Don't worry. I'll be fine. Besides, you're the customer! I can't ask you to help me do my job!" I said.

" Do you see me as a friend?"

" Yeah I do."

" Then I should help my friend right? Don't tell me you're gonna refuse a frined's help!" He said.

" Well okay... If you insisted..."

He smiled. And he looked so cute when he smiled.