Yongguk

Trouble in Paradise

Once I finish getting ready, I make my way over towards the front door, and slip on my shoes.

"Alright, I'm leaving now," I inform. "This shift is three hours only, so I'll be back around seven or something, okay?"

With his eyes blandly glued onto the television screen, Himchan gives me simple nod.

"You can fend for yourself, right?" I ask.

Why do I sound like a single mother, leaving her fifteen year old son at home, alone?

Himchan nods again, letting out a hum to go along with his reply.

"Okay then, um—" I wave my hand around the room, "Make yourself at home, and, I don't know, look at stuff to help jog your memory or something."

And with that, I quickly close the door behind me, and begin dashing towards the stairs, groaning to myself for living at the very top floor of the apartment building.

Thankfully, by the time I arrive at the bus stop, my needed bus comes by, and I manage to hop into it. I make it to work on the dot, and let out a sigh, as I enter the store, to head into the back kitchen. There, Subin cheerfully greets me with her bubbly self, glad to see that I'm feeling fine, but I don't tell her about my misadventure to the hospital, in fear of things getting awkward.

Putting on the work apron, I then head out, to start assisting the hungry customers.

———————————————

Right when I finish my working hours, the vibration from my phone signals me a call, so I pick it up.

"Yejin-ah, are you busy right now?" asks a deep voice.

I easily recognise it as Yongguk. "Why, what's wrong?" I question, feeling somewhat puzzled.

Judging from the music and chattering going on in the background, I have a slight idea, where this is heading to. "I was wondering if you wanted to perform with me, tonight?" he asks, and I can hear the sheepish smile in his voice.

I untie my apron, and then walk over to grab my purse. "Yeah, I'd love to, but I kind of just finished work, and don't have anything to wear on stage..." I mumble.

"Don't worry, I’ve got that covered," he reassures. "I know this is a last minute thing, and I feel bad about it, but I’ve made sure to borrow a dress or two that you can wear."

I smile at his effort, "Alright, just tell me the location, and I'll be there."

———————————————

Entering the place, I then head over towards the backstage, to be greeted by Yongguk and his handsome smile. He's wearing a black suit, and drinking up the image of his dashing self before me, makes me question just what kind of song we're going to sing. I guess he saw the somewhat confused look on my face, because he lets out a small chuckle, and then presents me a bag.

Taking it into my own hand, Yongguk then motions for me to head into an empty room to change, and once I'm inside, he tells me from the outside, that we're going to be performing 'Secret Love'.

A silly grin makes its way onto my face, because that song holds a somewhat special place in my heart.

We both wrote it together, and I’m proud of how well it had turned out.

Thinking about it, I find myself humming the tune to it, as I open up the paper bag, to pull out a dress. I'm slightly confused though, as there’s only one, but I shrug it off, and proceed to put it on. Oh well, at least this saves me the trouble of standing in front of the mirror, and trying to figure out which one I prefer.

After slipping on the simple black dress, (which I’m aware is quite cute) I'm amazed to find that there is also a pair of matching shoes, in the bottom of the bag.

And when I was finish, and make sure that I look presentable enough, I happily leave the room, only to find Yongguk standing in the hallway nearby.

His eyes light up once he see me. "You look great," he praises.

I shyly smile at him, "Thank you."

"I guess the sales assistant was of use, after all," he muses. The weird look on my face makes him chuckle, "I'm sorry for lying to you. All of my female friends are busy out somewhere, or weren't picking up their phones, so I went out and bought this for you."

He didn't—!

My jaw drops, and I blink at him in disbelief; he went out and bought this for me?!

I can feel a warm bubble of appreciation spread across my chest, at his thoughtfulness. My conscious then bluntly points out how unattractive I must be to him right now, with my mouth hanging out, along with my goldfish-like eyes, so I quickly straighten myself out.

And with a clear of my throat, I manage to find my voice again. "You really shouldn't have done this," I meekly say.

He dismisses my comment, "But I wanted to. Now come on, we'll be up in a bit."

With a smile, he beckons me forward, where the two of us then proceed to go and get our microphones checked.

———————————————

Handing our microphones over to the host, both Yongguk and I give another bow towards the crowd, as we then head off the stage. It was another successful performance, and with the cheer of the crowd, we both soaked up their encouragement, by just basically enjoying the feeling of being on stage. I go to grab my things, and when I exit the room, and begin to make my way out to the club, I manage to spot random girls trying to chat up to Yongguk.

It's funny though, watching how they would praise him in a playfully flirty way, only to have him humbly accept their compliments, as he stayed oblivious to their intentions.

Yongguk's eyes somehow meet with my own, and I show him a grin. Seeing that, he then quickly turns back to the others, and from the look of things, it appears as though he is politely dismissing himself from them. Some of them pout, sad that he can't seem to stay and chat for longer, while the others giggle to each other, as they watch him make his way over towards me. I playfully nudge him when he’s close enough, joking about him having a fan-base, and he just shakes his head at me in amusement.

Letting out a sigh, I then decide that it's now time to leave, so I say my goodbye to him.

But Yongguk stops me at the last second though, and pulls me back.

I curiously eye him, as he shows me a small smile. "Hey, do you want to go and get something to eat?" he suggests.

At the mention of food, I suddenly feel my stomach react to it with a tiny rumble, and I nod. "Okay, sure!" I beam, "Sounds good."

Happy at my response, Yongguk then asks me to wait for him for a second, as he hurriedly disappears off to grab his things. He's fast though, because he manages to zoom back within a minute or so. As the two of us leave the place, and into the cool night air, we start to talk about anything and everything. It reminded me of us hanging out like old times, and I smile; it's been a while since we've done something simple together like this, and it feels nice.

We soon reach his car, and after he unlocks it with his keys, I then casually plop myself into the passenger's seat, set down my bag, and then click in my seat belt.

"So what are you in the mood for?" I ask, once he connects his own seat belt together.

"Anything, really," he answers. "How about you, are you craving for anything in particular?"

I shrug, "Not really...I kind of want a burger, though."

Yongguk chuckles at this, his deep voice making me giddy; "Alright, where's the nearest burger place?"