Meeting At Last

Trouble in Paradise

Hyosung stares at me for a bit, before a look of relief spreads across her features. "Good," she says, sounding satisfied. "Now that you've made the right choice, I think we should put our agreement into action."

Both of my eyebrows rise up in surprise. "R-Right now?" I stammer, not prepared for this.

The brunette gives me a definite nod. "Right now," she assertively confirms. "The faster Himchan remembers everything, the faster I can bring him home, so that everything can return back to how it used to be."

So that everything can return back to how it used to be...

Her words make me swallow with discomfort, as I force my poker-face, to continue masking my facial expression. "May I ask you what your plan is?" I ask, as calmly as possible.

But all Hyosung does, is give me a secretive smile, and by seeing that, I can't help but feel a little wary. "How about I explain it to you, on the way to my home?" she suggests.

I give her a strange look. "Why are we going to your house...?" I carefully question.

"Because there are a few things that I need to get, in order for my plan to work," she explains, with that small smirk.

Finishing the rest of her water, I watch as she now takes out a note from her wallet, to place onto our table.

And once again, I'm filled with confusion, by her actions. "What are you doing?" I ask, with clear puzzlement. "You didn't order anything, so why are leaving money?"

Hyosung chortles. "This is for you," she happily says. "The line is too long, and I hate waiting."

Her random act of kindness makes me feel a little suspicious, as I continue to listen to her.

"And besides," chimes the older female. "You're giving me Channie, so I want to hurry up and see him!"

Hyosung's excitement seems to get the better of her, because after grabbing a hold of her handbag, she then links her arm around mine, and begins to forcefully pull me out of the cafe, besides her.

And apart from feeling astonished from the large amount of money that she has just casually left behind, the corner of my lips, bit by bit, fall down into a frown of dread, as the last parts of her comment, echo inside my head.

Because although I agree to help you, I don't think I ever said anything, about throwing away my affections for him.

———————————————

During the trip to Hyosung's place, the two of us continue to answer each other's questions, as she has urged me to start off first, with how I had found Himchan. My story then leads me into telling her how I had come to take him in, but because of how upset she looks right now, I make sure to leave out the main motive that drove me to do so, at the time. Hyosung finds herself shaking her head at me, as I continue to tell her about the false things that I have been telling Himchan, and the more I hesitantly carry on, the more agonised, her expression becomes.

I uncomfortably shuffle a little bit in my seat, and when my gaze finds itself landing on the rear-view mirror, I catch a glimpse of the disappointed look on the taxi driver, who is obviously eavesdropping on the two of us.

Out of nowhere, Hyosung suddenly straightens up, as she then slams her hands onto the car seat. "Wait, how far have you gone with him?!" she frantically yells out. "You haven't kissed him, have you?!"

Her explosive question takes me by surprise, and as I go to blink my wide eyes at her, I can see that the driver is also shocked, from that mini jump of his.

"No," I instantly lie.

And as Hyosung squints her eyes at me in suspicion, it makes me cautiously move a little closer over to the door.

For some reason, this makes me think of the time when Yongguk had asked me something similar, except that...this probably feels ten times worse, as Hyosung looks like she could flip this car upside down, at any given moment.

"Are you lying?" she harshly demands.

But despite her intimidating aura, it doesn't exactly mean that I can't continue to fake my confidence, either.

"We just cuddle," I fib, with a casual shrug of my shoulders. "Because if he's going to buy my lie, then some form of skin-ship needs to be done, for it to be believable, right?"

With a displeased frown, Hyosung grumbles something underneath her breath, but that's about it.

The car soon comes to a stop, and as we climb out of the vehicle, I politely thank the driver, as Hyosung goes to shove him a couple of notes.

"Ah, miss, wait!" calls out the driver. "This is a bit too much—"

"It’s okay!" replies the brunette, with a dismissive wave of her hand. "Keep the change!"

I gawk at her. “Hey, I’m supposed to help pay half of that!” I hastily point out.

But she just shakes her head at me, and with a tug of my arm, she then begins to drag me away, into a certain direction.

———————————————

Hyosung's energy makes my eyebrows crumple together, as I don't like to be handled around like this, and so I politely tell her. She blinks at me a little, and even though she ends up letting go of my arm, she still beckons for me to hurry. The two of us soon enter a huge building, where stepping into the elevator of the place, eventually allows us to reach the floor of her apartment. We continue our questions once more, and thankfully, my inquiry on why people are thinking that Himchan is dead, makes her forget about our previous topic, as she finally goes to tell me.

And once again, I am hit by yet another, wave of surprised-confusion.

"What?" I say, in astonishment. "Everyone thinks that Himchan is dead, because...because they think that he committed suicide?"

Hyosung nods her head. "Mm," she gravely hums. "They think...they think he went and decided to kill himself, because...of our break up. I got told that it was my fault, that if I hadn't decided to get into an argument with him, which lead to me calling off our relationship, then...none of this would have happened."

This honestly doesn't make any sense to me, as I know that Himchan is the type of person, who would react so drastically, to something such as an argument.

Although, depending on how heavy the topic was, and...and his love for Hyosung, then it's...probably possible.

I know there's more that she wants to say, and so I continue to keep mute.

Hyosung lets out a small sigh. "We were the type of couple that was often on and off, so...I thought it was obvious that we would eventually make up, at some point," she quietly says. "But I guess talking to him, about his lack of ambition, was a rather sensitive topic..."

The two of us have now reached a particular white door, for Hyosung to give the electronic lock a quick swipe, of her key card.

"You know," she speaks up, while swiftly typing in a code. "There was some wine at the scene, and the police said that it was mixed with some type of drug, that makes the user sleepy. They said that before Himchan had decided to jump, he drank all of that, to help him lose consciousness faster."

A soft beep is suddenly heard, and when Hyosung pushes the door open, to invite me in, I'm greeted by a huge white space, decorated with posh, black, furniture.

I follow the older female into her glamorous home. "So how did you find out, about this?" I curiously ask.

Hyosung kicks off her heels, just before placing her handbag down onto the glass coffee table, from nearby. "From Himchan's assistant," she replies. "I was in Paris for a business meeting, so I wasn't able to properly comfort his family...or even attend the funeral."

And when I go to hear the assistant’s name, my actions freeze to a stop, from the amount of shock at the familiarity of it.

"What?" I murmur, with a bewildered face. "Did you just say that his name is...Park Kyungwook?"

A wary, yet slightly odd feeling now stirs within me; this can't be sunbae, can it?

But more importantly, why does it feel like he's almost everywhere I go?

And as my mind continues to think about this bizarre coincidence, learning about this, brings my thoughts back to a particular scene.

Yongguk thinks about it for a bit. "Even though we weren't in any of the same classes, I know that Yejin was an exceptional student," he praises. "She always gave it her all when we were in the practice room, and Kyungwook sunbaenim would often tell me how she would score a 90 and above."

"What?" I give Yongguk a weird look. "That's not true, because I’ve received an 85 before."

Dismissing my comment, Himchan shows me a bright smile. "Wow, Yejinnie is a smart cookie, huh?" he muses. He then wraps his arms around me for a playful hug. "That's my girl!" cheers the blonde, with a delighted coo.

And as I'm practically being smooshed against Himchan's chest, the crinkle in Yongguk's brow, (which is visible from the rear-view mirror) makes me force Himchan to let go.

He surprisingly cooperates with much ease, but now a questioning look, appears on his face. "But who is Kyungwook?" he asks, with a bent eyebrow. "I feel like I've heard that name from somewhere, before..."

I watch as Himchan goes to repeat Kyungwook's name in a mumble for a bit, just before quieting down with an uncertain purse of his lips.

"—so do you?" questions Hyosung's sudden voice.

It makes me snap out of my trance, and blink at her. "I'm sorry, what did you say?" I query, feeling somewhat disorganised.

Hyosung gives me an odd look. "I asked if you know Kyungwook, since his name is making you weird," she indifferently answers.

I frown a little. "Possibly," I say. "Could you describe him to me?"

Pressing her lips together in thought, Hyosung then starts off with the obvious. "Dark hair, quite handsome, is in his late twenties, although he could pass as being Himchan's age, um..." Hyosung now lifts her arm up, to a certain point in the air. "Around this tall, maybe?” she estimates. “And...ah, he's a very well-known role model, at Kyunghee University."

Bingo.

"Wow," I mumble. "So it really is sunbae..."

Hyosung blinks at me. "Hmm?" she probes. "Kyungwook is your sunbae?"

I gently nod my head at her. "Yeah, and..." I pause for a bit. "Finding out that he's...Himchan's assistant, is just...really odd."

Kyungwook and Himchan are two completely different people, so the image of them standing next to each other, is quite offbeat.

Clasping her hands together, the loud noise brings my attention back over to the brunette. "Okay, come with me!" chirps Hyosung, changing the atmosphere. "I need your help in carrying a few things."

I slip off my shoes, and then set down my purse, right next to her handbag. "Like what?" I ask.

Hyosung motions for me to follow her, and I do. "Like photo albums," she responds, with a grin.

Upon entering her room, I watch as the older female, immediately makes her way over to her black draw, to begin rummaging through it. The sounds of her moving random objects around, is the only thing you can hear, as I noiselessly walk around the intricate space. My feet mutely take themselves over to her vanity desk, where my eyes find themselves being occupied, by the photos that she has displayed there. The images seem to consist of her family and friends, and judging by the amount of photos that I see of her, Jieun, Sunhwa, and another girl, it must mean that the four of them a close.

And when my eyes land on a male, whose sharp eyes, high nose, and sculpted lips, that I'm very familiar with, I find myself scanning for more photos of him.

There are countless pictures of Himchan together with Hyosung, doing all sorts of cute couple-y things.

And the more I look at these photos, the more this ache in my chest, continues to keep twisting an uncomfortable feeling into me, making my shoulders gradually sag.

Because when I move on from an image of them happily smiling, to a picture of their lips locked together in a kiss, I suddenly feel something inside me break a little.

"Okay, all done!" sings Hyosung's perky voice.

I quickly turn around, to see her holding a purple photo album. "Is that all?" I question, with a lifted brow. "Because you made it seem like there was a lot to take...?"

Hyosung gives me a sheepish smile. "Eh, I thought there was, but...this should be enough, for Himchan to see," she casually says. "Hopefully, it'll spark something, so...fingers crossed!"

The two of us now walk back out into the lounge room, to grab our things, and then put on our shoes. I quietly watch, as Hyosung sets up her security alarm again, just before shutting the door to her apartment. We soon reach the elevator, and then enter it, to arrive at the bottom floor. Neither of us seems to be in the mood to speak, as we're both busy with our thoughts. This silence continues on for a bit more, until Hyosung eventually leads me over towards her exquisite, bright red car. The vehicle is so stylish, and beautifully designed, that everything about it, seems to match quite well, with the owner herself.

Taking out her car keys, Hyosung presses a button, to unlock it. "Hop in!" she eagerly gestures.

I reach out for the handle, and then seat myself into the leather seat, at the same time as herself. "This is a very nice car," I compliment.

My praise makes Hyosung beam. "I know, right?" she chirpily says. "Himchan's parents gave it to me."

Her nonchalant answer makes my eyes almost fall out of their socket. "Really?!" I exclaim, in pure surprise. "Wow..."

Amused, Hyosung giggles at my reaction, as she begins to start up the engine, and from there, my amazement increases a little more, at the tiny 'Matos' label, situated on the corner of the dashboard.

So not only is she beautiful, and has a successful enough job, that allows her to travel overseas, but his parents like her that much, to give her a car...?

Hyosung's sudden voice, asking me for my address, makes me temporarily discard my uneasy thoughts, as I now go to direct her of where to drive. The trip isn't so far, (probably fifteen at most?) but thanks to her speeding, we arrive there in ten. I don't think I've ever been so scared for my life, and the fact that Hyosung is so blasé about her intense driving, (and not to mention, road rage) it makes me kind of worry for her safety.

And now that we're out of the car, with me leading her up to my apartment, she's bewildered to find out, that we will have to climb a few levels of stairs.

"Are you kidding me?!" she complains, with a groan. "Stairs are the worst, especially when you're going up!"

I exhale out an exasperated sigh. "You're not the one who lives here, so you have it easy," I gloomily say. "But it's the only option, since the elevator is still being fixed..."

With an aggravated huff, Hyosung then reluctantly starts to ascend the many steps of stairs with me. "Come on Hyosung, you can do it," I hear her quietly mutter. "If it's for Himchan, then you can do anything!"

Hearing that, I can't help but shake my head at her in amusement, as she now clenches her fist together, for a soft, "Fighting!"

And since I feel slightly bad, seeing that she’s wearing heels, I tell her to take it easy, as there's no rush.

Although, my assurance makes her give me a weird eye. "What do you mean, there's no 'rush'?" questions Hyosung. "Himchan's waiting for me, so of course there's a 'rush'!"

I decide not to say anything, as we're still moving at the same snail-like pace, that we started with.

"Anyway," speaks the brunette. "How does Himchan put up with you? You're so...quiet, that it's bound to drive him crazy. Or are you only quiet right now with me, because you feel awkward?"

I frown a little. "Well, I guess I'm only quiet right now, because...I'm still a little shocked at all of the things that I've just learnt from you," I truthfully answer. "And...usually, when I don't say anything, it's because I have nothing to say."

"Hmm..." ponders Hyosung, out loud. "Are you sure about that?"

No, not really.

"Because even the quietest people, manage to become really talkative with me," she positively says. "If it helps, just think of me as your amazing unnie, since I am older than you."

Thinking about this, I then decide to take in her advice, about becoming more 'responsive'.

"Alright..." I quietly say. "Tell me about Himchan."

"Himchannie?" perks up Hyosung, as we climb another set of stairs.

I nod my head at her. "Yeah," I say. "It'd be nice to hear things about him, from someone who actually knows him."

Hyosung's eyes seem to sparkle at this. "Well...you see this bag?" she asks, while holding out her elbow.

My eyes take in the cream coloured handbag that she has been carrying, all this time. "Yes?" I reply, signalling for her to continue on.

A bright smile appears on her face. "Himchan designed this for me," she proudly says. "He made it for me, and I'm the only one in the whole world, who has it."

That same hurtful pang is felt in my chest, as I force on a believable smile. "Wow," I murmur. "You must feel...special, huh?"

Hyosung lets out a giddy chortle. "Very!" she excitedly agrees. "Every time I think about it, it makes me feel like I’m the luckiest girl in the world...which I obviously, am!"

Hearing her swooning remark, I can feel that small crack inside of me, little by little, break a bit more, as I go to swallow down this uncomfortable lump.

Thankfully, the topic of Himchan now ends, as we currently reach the last floor, because hearing about him from his ex-girlfriend, (whose mission is to take him back) was a mistake, of attempting to make me feel more 'relaxed'. I take out my keys, and pretend to be as casual as I can be, when deep down, I actually feel quite...terrified, of opening the door, to let Hyosung reunite with Himchan. There isn't really any other way to delay this, because within a couple of seconds, my hand is robotically giving the doorknob a twist, for the both of us, to enter inside.

Hyosung's eyes now straightaway, go to scan the place for a certain dark haired male, as she takes off her shoes. I do the same, wondering where Himchan can be, as I close the door, and then go to set down my purse. Turning over to Hyosung, I then assure her that he's probably just in the bathroom or something, and then suggest for her to take a seat on the sofa. Surprisingly, she cooperates with this, by slowly making her way to the couch, with her curious eyes, still wondering around. I politely ask her if she wants anything to drink, but she shakes her head no at me, all the while, still looking rather preoccupied.

The two of us don't have to think about his whereabouts for long, because we suddenly see him emerge out from the kitchen, in an apron.

Hyosung's eyes instantly light up at the sight of him. "Himcha—"

"Yejinnie!" chimes Himchan, completely oblivious, to cutting her off. "You're finally home, and just in time too, because I’ve just made us some patbingsu!"

I'm suddenly enveloped into a warm embrace, and for a second there, my heart feels at ease. "Yes, I am," I gently say. "And that sounds great, because we have a guest."

Himchan pulls away from me, to adorably tilt his head at me. "We do?" he asks. "Where?"

I gesture my hand over to Hyosung, with a small, weary smile. "Right here," I say. "This is Hyosung..."