A Very Long Sunday Afternoon

Trouble in Paradise

When I emerge from the kitchen, I then make my way over to the coffee table, to set down the two bowls of chips. Himchan and Yongguk still seem to be glaring daggers at each other, and the tension makes me mentally sigh, once more. I then take another stab at engaging the three of us into some light conversation again, but it's hard, with Himchan's arrogance, and Yongguk's one-word answers.

So because of this, I then decide to go with my next idea, and suggest for us all to watch a movie.

I know this movie idea can possibly make us all fall into an even deeper awkwardness, but I think it's better than sitting in pure silence.

And thankfully, the two end up agreeing to go through with this suggestion.

"Yeah, I don't mind watching a movie," says Yongguk. "What do you have, again?"

Himchan lifts an intrusive eyebrow at this. "'Again'?" he echoes. "What do you mean by that?"

Yongguk calmly turns his attention back over to the scrutinizing blonde. "Yejin and I use to have movie marathons together," he briefly clarifies.

For a split second, Himchan widens his eyes slightly, but then eventually narrow them down once more, when he turns to face my direction. "Yah," he begins, in a tone where I can assume that a whine will come out next from his mouth. "You have movie marathons with him, but not with me?!"

With an expression of disinterest, I slowly exhale out, and then turn over to look at Yongguk. "Please ignore him, he's always like," I mutter, with a flick of my wrist.

Yongguk chuckles at my remark, and this makes Himchan fume even more.

I return my attention back to the DVDs, and then hold up a zombie movie for the two to see, as my other hand continues to skim through another disk. "How about this?" I propose. "I haven't watched this in a while."

This seems to grab Yongguk's interest. "Hey, is that the one, where that random zombie made you scream?" he asks, in an amusing tone of voice.

He doesn't even have to describe it any further, and I already know what he's talking about.

I slowly put the disk in my hand down, and then turn around to face him again. "You're never going to forget that, are you?" I grumble.

"Nope," is Yongguk's entertained response.

I shake my head at him, but his little laughter makes me smile any way, as I turn my gaze back towards the DVDs.

But not before I can even scan my eyes over the next disk, I hear Yongguk call out my name.

"Yejin-ah," probes his voice.

"Hmm?" I idly hum.

And what comes out of his mouth next, is (somewhat) expected; "Omnomnom."

Bit by bit, I gradually begin to crane my neck around, with an unimpressed expression.

Yongguk's eyes crease into amused crescents, as he proceeds to chuckle away, at the frown on my face. His teasing continues on, and so does his laughter, when I start to wave the DVD case in the air at him, in an intimidating manner. He knows very well that I won't hurl the object at him, and it's not long, before I find myself giggling along, at his enactment of the strange zombie.

"Usually, zombies have that deadly-sounding groan, but this one..." Yongguk pauses to laugh for a bit; "This one, sounds like that blue cookie monster. And because you got so scared, to the point where you had almost jumped on me, it just makes the whole thing so much more hilarious."

My frown deepens at the memory. "But that thing came out of nowhere," I say, hoping that it didn't sound like a whine. "And it's not like I was the only one who got scared, because you screamed as well!"

Yongguk shows me a sheepish smile. "I only screamed, because you screamed," he admits.

His comment makes me bend an eyebrow; is he implying that I'm scarier than the cookie-monster-sounding zombie?

I'm about to question him that, when the sound of someone else clearing their throat, interrupts the two of us. Both Yongguk and I turn our heads over to Himchan, who appears to be looking rather sour. His arms are firmly crossed together, while his eyebrows are drawn towards the middle, with discontent.

"No zombie movies," he mandates. "And especially the one that you're holding."

I blink at him; "What, why not?"

Himchan gives me a weird eye, as though I've just asked the most ridiculous question. "Because the special effects in there are so fake," he states, in a matter-of-fact tone of voice. "Seriously, the slow motion backflips that she does has got to be recorded and edited, with the cheapest camera that I've ever seen."

My eyebrows go back to knitting themselves together, as Himchan continues to list the reasons on why he doesn't like zombie movies.

Or more like why we shouldn't watch the one that I’m suggesting.

I then go to throw out other movie ideas, but he would scrunch his nose up at each one of them. Yongguk was trying to be polite and help me, (I really applaud him for doing that) but Himchan was quite snappy with his offers, rejecting them right away, without a second thought. It was agonizing for me to see how immature Himchan was being, and I had to keep sending Yongguk an apologetic look every now and then, which he (thankfully) accepted, with a small weary smile.

Letting out a grumble, I then eventually place the DVD back in its spot, and then unenthusiastically tell Himchan to pick a movie himself.

"Oooh, how about that dance one?" pipes up the obnoxious blonde.

"Which 'dance' one?" I monotonously ask. "The one where this girl goes to a dance school, and then she meets that guy, where they fall in love or something?"

Himchan eagerly nods his head. "Yeah, that one!" he happily confirms.

I then turn my gaze over to Yongguk, and gently ask him; "What do you think, is this movie okay with you?"

In the corner of my eye, I can see Himchan rolling his eyes at us.

Yongguk blinks for a bit, just before giving me the affirmative. "Of course," he replies. "You know that I'm fine with whatever."

His attempt to ease up the awkward vibe makes me feel so much relief, but it soon turns into exhaustion, when my eyes land themselves back onto Himchan.

If only he can do the same thing, and not be such a mood-wrecker, then maybe—

"By the way, here," speaks the said male.

I watch in astonishment, as Himchan picks up the cider can, and then offers it out to Yongguk.

"This is yours," he lightly states.

My eyes slightly round at the scene unfolding before me, as I try to keep my composure together.

I can't believe what I'm seeing; is Himchan actually trying to be friendly...?!

Yongguk must be thinking of the same thing as well, because it takes him a few seconds to respond. "Uh, thank you," he cautiously says, while accepting the fizzy drink.

Himchan replies with a small grunt, just before grabbing another can nearby.

He casually opens it, and then takes a small sip, as though nothing had happened. Yongguk and I continue to stay quiet, as we allow (yet another) silence to sweep over the three of us. Except, this time, the stillness is of curiosity and bewilderment, instead of a stifling tension. I'm still amazed at the small (and civil) interaction that had just taken place, so I quickly turn around, and allow myself to smile to myself about it.

From what I've gathered, I know that Himchan isn't exactly the friendliest person in the world, so to see him do something like this, makes me feel really—

"Oh ," cusses a voice.

Suddenly feeling confused, I then turn myself towards the source, to see Yongguk being covered with soda. His free hand is cupping the bottom of the overflowing can, as an attempt to stop the clear liquid, from falling onto the floor. I immediately drop what I'm doing, and then grab the tissue box from the table, to assist him. Luckily, not much gets onto the floor, and as we set the can down aside, the soft drink gradually stops itself from flowing out any more.

But as I continue on to help Yongguk out of this sparkling lemonade mess, my eyes succeed in catching sight of Himchan's secretive snicker.

And when our eyes meet, for a split second, that same impish glint shown to me from when we were both in the kitchen, reappears again in his dark orbs, and I just know.

So because of this, I don’t hesitate to shoot him an accusing glare, just before silently mouthing to him; "How could you do that?!"

Himchan sniggers a little more to himself, and then shrugs his shoulders with a mocking expression, as if to say; "What?" A proud smirk then slowly makes its way onto his face, as he then crosses his arms together, in a snobbish manner. "It was worth it," is what his silent expression tells me.

Ending our soundless tiff, I then shake my head a little at him, just before returning my attention back to an oblivious Yongguk. He's now trying to wipe the drink off of his (fairly) soaked shirt, which suddenly makes me have this strong urge to use the tissues in his hands, to wipe the haughty smirk off of Himchan's face instead.

"I'm sorry," I mumble, while lending him a hand.

Yongguk is a little puzzled, but his facial expression ends up softening. "Why are you apologising for?" he asks, with a small chuckle. "I should be saying sorry, for causing such a mess."

I don't say anything after this, and just frown a bit.

My eyes then notice some moisture on his cheek, and it makes me reach out to wipe it away, with the tissue in my hand. "That must have been one heck of an explosive can, huh?" I softly say, making sure to fire another pointed look over at Himchan. "Did you get any in your hair?"

At the mention of this, his hand then makes its way towards his head, only to give me a shake, signalling no.

Yongguk then tries to reassure me that it's okay, and that I should be more worried about the cushions on the couch that the drink had managed to also spill on, instead of his t-shirt. And as this goes on, I become aware of a very grumpy-looking Himchan, who seems to be sulking away on the couch, not too far away. His eyes seem to be burning with rage, and it's probably due to the lack of attention he was currently receiving, but I'll deal with that later.

Letting out a sigh, I then tell Yongguk to wait for a bit, as I'm planning to go and get him a new shirt to change into. He instantly declines the offer, but I refuse his refusal, and begin to head into my room, and towards the wardrobe. But right when my fingers wrap themselves around the handle, a hand appears out of nowhere, to prevent me from opening it.

And when I look up, to discover the source, I realise that I'm looking into two pairs of very angry eyes.

"What are you doing?" hisses Himchan.

My eyes narrow back at him. "I'm getting Yongguk a shirt," I snap. "Did you not hear me tell him that?"

Himchan easily ignores my question. "But your clothes don't fit him," he points out, as he continues to glare at me.

I yank open the cupboard door, taking him by surprise; "Which is why I'll be giving him one of your shirts."

Hearing this, it causes Himchan to show me his disapproval, by closing the wardrobe door shut. "He's not wearing my clothes!" barks the blonde.

I force the cupboard open once more. "Well, you should have thought about that first, before you went and shook up his can!" I angrily yell.

Shoving Himchan to the side, I then begin to dig through the various possible tops that Yongguk can fit into. He seems to roughly be the same (or if not, quite similar) size to Himchan, so this shouldn't be too hard. Although, it wouldn't have been so much of a hassle, if Himchan didn't try to close the wardrobe's door on me, every now and then. At one point, he had almost slammed it on my fingers, and if it wasn't for Yongguk patiently waiting outside in the lounge room, then I would have shrieked at him.

By now, I think Himchan had figured out how shutting the closet's door wasn't going to be enough, so then he went and began to try out a new tactic.

In which, he attempts to pick me up, and then lock me outside of my own room.

That didn't work though, because as soon as his arms encircled me, I kind of elbowed him as a reflex.

It caused him to let out a cough, as he bent over in pain, and for a split second, I did feel a little guilty, for what I had accidentally done...

Although, the guilt didn't last very long though, because I then used this chance to dive back into my search.

Himchan eventually gave up (sort of), as he eventually crawled over next to me, and then proceeded to curl up next to my leg, like a foetus. He would occasionally complain and wail, whenever I would pull out a top to inspect, saying things like how this one was his favourite, or how he hasn't been able to wear that one yet, and how it would be unfair if Yongguk got to.

In the end, I pulled out a simple white t-shirt, and although it was literally just an average top that you can easily buy, from any clothing shop, Himchan was still whining.

"I don't like Yongguk," grumbles the blonde, from out of nowhere.

My lips form a tight line, as I give him a stern look. "I don't understand your dislike towards him, when he hasn't even done anything to upset you," I hardheartedly say.

Himchan lets out a scoff, as his index finger goes to draw in some imaginary circles on the floor. "Well, within the span of half an hour, he's managed to take my couch, my lemonade, and now my shirt," mopes the male, rather spitefully. "And to make it even worst, he's also taking you away from me!"

Caught off guard, I'm taken by surprise at his outburst.

And then, slowly, bit by bit, I then gradually kneel down towards the floor, blinking at the unimpressed Himchan.            

A displeased pout is still visible on his face. "Why are you so...nice to him?” queries the blonde, in a fairly perplexed tone of voice. And when his eyes finally look up into my own, his next question paralyses me for second; "What is he to you?"

What is Yongguk, to me?

"He's my best friend," I robotically respond.

"Best friend, huh?" repeats Himchan, in a soft murmur.

And for some reason, he doesn’t sound very convinced.

Himchan continues on, in the same small voice; "Does that mean that...that Yejinnie likes her best friend, more than her amazingly handsome boyfriend?"

My eyebrows lift a little, as my mouth circles into one of further surprise.

The answer is obvious, but for Himchan's sake, I force out a laugh. "Aish, stop being so silly," I nonchalantly say, with a dismissive wave of my hand. "I like you both equally."

Himchan doesn't seem to be satisfied with my response, though. "But..." he slowly begins; "Himchannie will always be loved by Yejinnie, right?"

"...Yes," is my delayed answer.

Himchan silently gazes at me for a few seconds, just before breaking out into a grin. "Okay then," he brightly concludes. "That's all I need to know."

Getting up from his lying down position, I then watch, as he casually saunters out of the place, and then back into the lounge room.

I find myself spacing out a little, due to his odd questioning, but then manage to shake myself out of it, when I look down at the shirt in my hands, and am reminded about Yongguk. Standing up from my spot, I then make my way outside, and hand the top over to an awaiting Yongguk. He gradually accepts it, and I guiltily apologise for making him wait so long, in his sticky shirt. Yongguk tells me that it's fine, and thanking me once more, he then eventually heads over towards the bathroom, to change into it.

And as this happens, I then use the time to grab out the DVD, and then to prepare the awaited movie.

Yongguk is quick with the change, because he's soon back in his seat. The top is a good fit on him, and I mentally yell at myself, for staring at his arms and toned chest, for a tad second more than I should be.

But then all of the sudden, I suddenly find myself being placed into another pickled situation; where am I going to sit?

And then as if he can read my mind, Yongguk shuffles over a little from his spot. "Yejin-ah, come and sit over here," he kindly offers.

But Himchan doesn't like this suggestion, and it makes him glower at the other male in the room. "Um, no, she's going to be sitting over here with me," he announces, rather cockily. Himchan's bothered expression then quickly thaws into one of innocence, as he then expectantly blinks at me; "Isn't that right, Yejinnie?"

"Uh..." My eyebrows crinkle together with uncertainty. "Actually, I'll just sit over here," I quickly say, and then hastily plop myself down onto the floor.

Himchan frowns a little, looking a little perplexed. "What, why?" he asks. "We both know that that's the worst angle to see the TV." The blonde continues on, and what he says next, makes me wordlessly squirm in my spot; "Come on, we cuddle all the time, so why are you being shy now?"

The way that Yongguk's eyebrows look as though they can fly off of his forehead from the amount of shock, makes me shift a little more uncomfortably in my seat.

I am at a loss of words, and the only thing I can think of doing, is to avoid the comment.

"Himchan, just..." My voice comes out somewhat strained, as I awkwardly clear my throat; "Just watch the movie."

The said male blinks at me, just before jerking his shoulders upwards in a nonchalant manner.

And as his gaze is focused on the screen, I can feel Yongguk's stare on me, as I try to busy myself, by appallingly nibbling on a chip or two.

This is going to be a very long Sunday afternoon.