Lies

Trouble in Paradise

"Yah, don't you dare act dumb with me," I sneer.

Himchan ignores my comment, and then proceeds to tap his chin, all while still examining me from his bed. "You know," he slowly begins, "You're quite pretty, so I'm definitely sure that we've met."

A cheesy smile then appears on his face, "And if we haven't, then you look like someone I'm about to get to know."

My hand meets with my forehead, as I shake my head.

This guy is probably the shallowest thing in the history of man-kind!

Either that or he just likes anything that's a female. I don't know what's going through his head, but this guy is unbelievable. Looking away, I turn to see a nurse make her way over to me. Her eyes light up at the sight of my face, where she then she asks me about my well-being. I tell her that I'm feeling so-so, and she nods. She then tells me how I had overworked myself, which was the reason for my sudden sickness.

As the nurse lightly scolds me for not taking better care of myself, I can't help but give her a sheepish smile.

She's nice, I like her; they should have more nurses like her, instead of those really grouchy people, who don't give a rat's , whether you're on the floor or not.

The nurse then goes to peel off the bandage on my hand, and I knew that she was getting ready to remove the IV needle. Normally, I would have shrieked from fear, but hearing her let out a small sigh, perks my attention.

"I feel sorry for him," she softly says.

This is enough to help distract my thoughts away from the needle completely.

I blink, showing her my confusion. "What do you mean?” I ask. “You feel sorry for whom?"

Her lips curve up slightly into a sympathetic smile, as she nods her head into the direction of a certain dark haired male on my left. "He's suffering from some temporary amnesia, and has no idea who he is, or where he is," she answers.

Now filled with surprise, my eyes slowly linger back over towards Himchan, to see him innocently straightening out his blanket. And for a split second there, the strange harmless act somehow makes my anger towards him, slowly dissolve. I can feel this odd pang in my chest, and it’s making me feel uncomfortable.

Turning my attention back to the nurse, I then ask her, "Hasn't anyone come looking for him?"

She slowly shakes her head with a solemn expression. "No one," she replies. "He doesn't seem to have any identification on him, or even his phone, so we can't figure out who to contact, either." The frown on her face deepens a little, "They were probably all lost in the water..."

I lift an eyebrow, "The water?"

She nods, "Mm, someone found him washed up on the shores, unconscious. He must have had a boating accident, or something."

As the nurse informs me that she has just removed my IV needle, I feel a mixture of wonder and relief from being completely distracted to not panic. My throat is a little dry, and upon informing her of it, she decides to go and get me some more water. Once her figure disappears out of the room, I find myself looking back at Himchan again. And for some reason, this sad, churning sensation begins to poke at me, with the more I watch him, noticing how incredibly confused he currently is, to his surroundings. His gaze seems to be focused on something, and when I look over to see what it is, I feel even worst.

A family of four, (a husband, wife, and two kids) happen to be visiting the father.

"Appa, are you feeling better now?" asks his son.

The father nods with a bright smile, "I sure am; the doctor said that I can finally go home with you all, today."

Hearing this, the two kids cheer with happiness, as his wife tenderly smiles at him. Himchan's gaze then moves onto the next bed, where a group of males and a girl stood. From the way the male patient had his arm wrapped around the girl, it was obvious that the two are a couple.

"You idiot, I told you not to force yourself, and look what happened!" yells the girl.

One of his friends gives him a small smile. "Yeah hyung," he agrees. "Please don't drink like that ever again."

A weak smile appears on the male patient. "I'm sorry for making you guys worry," he says, followed up with a forgiving chuckle.

The girl grumbles something under her breath, which makes him turn to face her.

She speaks a little louder this time. "Do you have any idea how dangerous it is, to have eight shots, within the span of an hour?" she growls. "Huh? Do you? Do you?!" Her lips begin to tremble, causing her voice to shake, "Seyong, I was so worried, I—"

The girl suddenly has her sentence interrupted, as he swiftly pulls her in for a kiss. Seeing this, his friends take the hint to leave the two lovebirds alone, as they gradually exit the room. Once the couple pull away from each other, he caresses her cheek, gently wiping away her fresh tears.

"Hyeri-ah, I'm fine," reassures Seyong. She was about to open to speak, but he hushes her with his index finger. "I promise I'll be more careful next time, so don't you worry your pretty little head, okay? And besides, when you worry, you talk really loud, and you have to remember that I'm not the only person in this room."

Hyeri mutters something, and then buries her face into the palm of her hands, causing Seyong to laugh at her embarrassed self.

Realising that I had been too absorbed into this couple's drama, I then force myself to shift my gaze elsewhere. It lands back on Himchan, and I see how his shoulders slightly drop, as he continues to watch the other people in the room, being surrounded with their loved ones.

Where are his parents?

Or that girl that he brought with, (who I’m assuming is his girlfriend) to the restaurant?

He should have at least one friend, right?

Or was he just so insanely cocky and difficult to get along with, that he actually didn't have anyone by his side...?

That thought made me frown, with a crinkle of my eyebrows.

No matter how annoying someone could and can be, it just wasn't right for them to be alone like that. I shake my head and then try to shrug off the thoughts with some reassuring ones; someone would eventually be here for him.

———————————————

Soon, it was time for me to be discharged, since the doctors are now confident with me leaving.

As I grab my things, for some reason, my body automatically turns to have another look at Himchan, curious to see how he is doing. He's currently poking at his yoghurt (that's barely been touched), with an extremely bored expression, and for some reason, I find myself sighing at the sight.

What could be taking his family so long?

Himchan's gaze suddenly meets with my own, and he blinks at me. I swallow, and then take a deep breath, as my feet gradually make their way over to him, with a mind of their own.

Maybe it’s because I pity him, but what I'm about to do next, I don't even know if it's the right thing.

I'll probably regret it later, but seeing someone look so helpless really sinks my heart, no matter how big of a jerk they are.

But on the plus side, he still owes me a bike, and—

"What do you want?" he bluntly asks.

The clueless look on his face completely clashes against his somewhat rude tone of voice.

I bite my lip, assuming that he had not purposely meant to sound impolite. "Hey oppa, how are you feeling?" I carefully ask.

Himchan's eyes enlarge to the size of an egg, "What did you just call me?"

I force on a meek smile, and then slowly take a seat on the edge of his bed.

This makes him instantly withdraw his legs towards himself, as he squints his eyes at me in a suspicious manner.

I continue on with my lie, "You really don't remember me...at all?"

Still looking guarded, he his head to the side a little, with a scratch of his head. "Well...there is a strange feeling, that's tugging me towards you, but..." Himchan pauses for a bit, and then shrugs his shoulders; "I don't know."

I slowly nod, and then put on my best sob face. "Well the truth is," I wait for a bit, making sure to let him see my eyebrows draw together with worry, "I'm your girlfriend."