Father

Trouble in Paradise

"Hey..." I warily begin. "You can't...you can't really kill someone, with an umbrella like that, right?"

Himchan stares at me for a bit, just before breathing out a small sigh. "Yejin," he calmly assures, for the umpteenth time. "Your father is breathing, so I'm pretty sure that he's fine..."

My nerves make me swallow, and even though Himchan's reassurance is supposed to help me, I still find myself frowning. "I know, but..." The anxiousness in me makes me wince a little. "I don't know, this is just..."

And because Himchan can be a bit of a jerk at times, he suddenly decides to shrug a shoulder at me, with a sarcastic expression. "Actually, now that I think about it, the way that you swung the umbrella—"

I don't let him finish off his taunting sentence, because my elbow instantly makes contact with his stomach. "Don't say that!" I yell out, in panic.

Himchan lets out a pained grunt from my hit, as he now goes to clutch at the sore spot. "Sheesh, make up your mind," he coughs out. "You don't want there to be damage, and I tell you that there's no damage, but you don't believe me. And when I go and pretend that there's damage, then you just explode in denial!"

Frowning some more, I don't have the energy to respond back, so I just allow for my shoulders to slowly descend down.

Neither Himchan nor I say anything, as my gaze gradually returns back over to my father's knocked out form. The entire room is now engulfed with silence, and it's only after a brief moment, that the stillness is shattered, by the sound of a minor exhale. "Your father will wake up soon," eases Himchan, in a tender tone. "It'll be any minute now, so don't you worry your pretty little head, okay?"

I suddenly feel his warm fingers go to tilt my chin up at him, and when he shows me a comforting smile, it makes me lightly brighten up a little.

Out of nowhere, a groan of discomfort is heard, startling us both, and when I see that it's from the man on the couch, I immediately hop over to his side.

"Abeoji..." I gingerly call out. "Are you okay?"

My father winces a little, as he slowly begins to sit himself up. "Argh, my head..." he mumbles, with a grimace.

Seeing the pained cringe on his face, I automatically reach out, and mildly begin to tug him back down towards the pillow. "Please don't get up, if it hurts," I worriedly say. "Do you want me to take you to the hospital?"

"No-no," he softly says. "I'll be alright."

His small response makes my eyebrows draw together in further concern. "I'm so sorry, I feel absolutely terrible," I dejectedly say. "Why didn't you give me a call, before coming here?"

And even though his head is throbbing away, my father somehow manages to quietly laugh to himself. "Because I wanted to surprise you," he answers. "At least I now know that if anyone ever tries to break in here, then my daughter is able to defend herself, in some kind of way...right?"

I let out a sigh, as he continues to chuckle away.

How does he always manage to find the bright side in things?

"Sir," speaks up a sudden voice.

Dad and I turn over to see Himchan holding out two medicine pills, along with a glass of water. "I think you should take this," he says. "It's a pain reliever, so it'll make you feel better."

My father blinks at him for a bit, just before gradually accepting the offer. "Ah, why thank you, young man," he says. "And who may you be?"

"I'm Kim Himchan," replies the dark haired male. "And I'm—"

Time suddenly slows down, as my mind knows what Himchan's next two words will be, but because I haven't prepared myself for this moment, all I can do is let it slap me across the face.

"—Yejin's boyfriend."

Those words leave Himchan's mouth so easily, and so does the water, that my father was in the middle of sipping down.

His coughing and spluttering makes me panic. "Abeoji, are you okay?!" I hastily ask, while giving his back a firm pat.

The wheezing from my father eventually dies down. "B-Boyfriend?!" he chokes out, with wide, astonished eyes. "My daughter has...a boyfriend?"

And the only thing that I can seem to do, is show him a nervous smile. "Yes..." I meekly say. "I do..."

The amount of disbelief on my father's face causes me to gulp, as I begin to brace myself for the worst.

I can already imagine his not-too-happy (and rather explosive) response, where I will have to try and find a way to calm him down, somehow. He's going to yell at me, and then possibly begin an endless lecture, about how it's not good for me to ‘hide things from him’ (or something along those lines), where the two of us will just end up really grouchy. It's going to put me in a horrible mood, and not only that, but what will happen to Himchan?

What if dad ends up forcefully kicking him out, because he doesn't approve of him?

What if

The sound of my father chuckling from out of the blue, makes me do a double-take at him; is he crying, or is he laughing?!

"My daughter has a boyfriend!" he exclaims, in absolute glee.

Himchan looks over at me, and his clueless face tells me that he's just as confused as I am. "Um," I carefully begin. "So you're—"

"—Ecstatic?" cuts in my father. "Yejin-ah, appa is very happy for you!"

My mind still can't seem to process his unexpected merry mood. "What?" I say, with puzzlement. "You are?"

Dad regains his composure, and then nods his head at me. "Yes, I am," he confirms. "You always seem to have your head buried within your work, so I was always afraid that you might...well, end up alone."

His comment makes me soften a little. "But I'm still young," I quietly say. "I still have all the time in the world to find someone."

"I know," he softly agrees. "I like how you're not rushing, but...knowing that you're able to find someone, just makes me feel a little bit more at ease."

Curious, my eyebrow arches up slightly. "So you’re saying that I can't find anyone, to properly be with?" I ask, with a small frown.

This makes my father let out a nervous laugh. "Aigoo, of course not!" he happily (a bit too happily) says. "I know that you're more than capable to get anyone that you wish for, but the question is; can they get you?" The perplexed look on my face encourages for him to keep speaking. "I may not be around much, but I do know that it takes a lot to impress you, which is why..." Dad now turns his attention over to Himchan, and shows him a warm smile. "—I'm looking forward to getting to know Himchan."

And as soon as he says that, my father doesn't waste another second.

"So son, what is your occupation?" interrogates dad. "Who are your parents, and where do you live?"

Himchan blinks at him for a bit, but before he can say anything, I swiftly jump in. "Why don't you ask Himchan about himself, after you get some rest?" I suggest, as casually as I can.

But my father declines my proposal, and continues to try and question (or more like bombard) Himchan things that I know he can't exactly answer.

And so because of this, I then decide to ask Himchan to go and make some tea, using that excuse, as a way to have a quick talk with my father.

Himchan eventually agrees to my request, and as soon as he disappears out of the room, I start speaking.

"Abeoji, you're scaring him," I fib.

My dad stares at me. "I am?" he asks. "How am I scaring him?"

"Well," I frown a little, trying my best to look as serious as possible. "You're asking too many questions."

This makes my father lift his eyebrows up at me. "And since I am your dad, doesn't that give me the right to do so?" he firmly says. "Yejin-ah, although appa is very happy for you, I still have to check whether or not, you're with someone decent."

And for some bizarre reason, I am suddenly reminded of Yongguk, except that...dad's questioning is less harsh. 

I now go to quickly tell my father about Himchan's job at Mrs Lee's flora shop, and then briefly pretend that he doesn't live here, and actually resides in an apartment elsewhere, that's fifteen minutes away; he just sometimes stays over here, and today happens to be one of those nights. My lie also involves telling dad how Himchan's parents are just average folks, and when he asks me if I've met them yet, I truthfully tell him no. And as I continue on with my extremely vague false-tale, I start to wonder what Himchan's parents are really like. Are they just as strange as him, or are they the complete opposite, and are actually very serious people?

And the more I think over that, the more I begin to wonder why they haven't looked for him yet.

My father's sudden sigh pulls me away from those thoughts. "Knowing that you have a boyfriend now makes my visit a little more pointless," he says.

I tilt my head at him; "What do you mean?"

Dad smiles a little. "Well..." he slowly begins. "I came here today to not only see how you're doing, but...because of my fear of you ending up alone, I wanted to introduce you to someone."

Taken aback, I blink at him with surprised eyes; "What?"

My father waves his hand at me, probably as an attempt to keep a neutral environment. "I think you might like him, if you got to meet him," he blithely says. "I met him through my new job, and he's a very well groomed man."

Something inside me, suddenly tells me that this isn't exactly heading into a good direction, and so I cautiously speak up. "Wait..." I slowly say, now feeling somewhat skeptical. "You're not...actually thinking of me being with this person, are you?"

For a split second, amusement flashes across my father’s face, but then he gives me that nervous look of his, whenever he's just been caught with something. "Maybe?" he sheepishly reveals. "The down side is that he might be a little too old for your liking, but I promise you that he's not a grandpa or anything."

Hearing that, I find myself frowning some more, because an old man is now all I can imagine.

My father continues on. "Anyhow," he says. "If things don't go well for you and Himchan, then you should take this boy into consideration. He seems interested in you, and that I think you should give him a chance, if you can." Dad then shrugs his shoulders at me. "If it somehow helps, he's also in charge of a company," he adds in, rather casually.

With my unimpressed expression, I continue to show my disapproving look. "Abeoji, this isn't one of those silly arranged marriage fanfictions," I dully say.

My accidental comment makes him confusedly look at me. "Fan...fiction?" he slowly says. "What is that?"

The palm of my hand meets with my forehead, as I go to shake my head at him. "Nothing," I mumble out. "It just means that I have to yell at Himchan about something."

And at the mention of the said male, I look up in time to see him enter back into the room, with some tea and snacks.

Setting down the editable items, Himchan then takes a seat down next to me. A smile lights up his face when our eyes meet, and in return, the corner of my lips lift up, at his warm gesture. I now hear my father exhale out a sigh of content, and when I look over, I see that he's just taken a sip of the hot tea. He then goes to comment on it, and I tell him how Himchan had found this brand, and that I really like it as well. Himchan proudly grins at this, as my father now goes to say something about him having good taste.

The conversation continues to flow forward, and I'm not sure how, but the subject somehow ends up setting itself on me.

And just when I thought how both Yongguk and Himchan teaming up together, to tease me about my embarrassing moments was painful, my father just had to go and take it up a level, by asking Himchan a question that...is somewhat startling.

"What do I like about Yejin?" repeats Himchan. "Hmm..."

I slowly look over at the dark haired male, to see him pursing his lips to the side in thought.

Himchan taps his chin for a moment, before eventually beaming at us both. "Everything!" he chirps. "Your daughter is perfect."

I secretly shift a little in my spot, (half uneasy and half pleased) as this fluttery feeling begins to swim inside my chest.

Amused, my father appears to like this response, as he's now chuckling, and I'm not sure if he's genuinely curious, (or just continuing to test Himchan out) because he now goes to ask him, if there is any specific...'thing' about me, that makes him deem me as 'perfect'.

"Well..." Himchan ponders about this for a second or so. "I like how...she doesn't like strawberries in her pancakes," he begins, with a small laugh. "I thought everyone liked that combination, but apparently not, so...this is different, and I like it."     

Now looking somewhat surprised, my father smiles at him. "Yejin also doesn't like sprinkles," he states.

And to that comment, Himchan cheerfully nods his head at him. "She really doesn't," he agrees. "And neither do I, so I also like how we can endlessly talk to each other about our dislikes."

Himchan continues to tell my father about the little quirks that he's noticed in me, and how they weirdly entertain him.

I find myself occasionally commenting here and there, and as I proceed to listen, I feel myself softening at him. Himchan's eyes seem to hold so much warmth as he continues to talk about me, and the way that his fox-like eyes crease together, they tells me that he is sincerely happy. For all I know, he could just be doing all of this to please my father, but every grin he smiles, and every bubbly response voiced out from him, is filled with too much affection, for it to be fake.

His perkiness now tones down a little, and when I see the doting look on his face, I can't help but blink at him.

"But what I like most about Yejin..." says Himchan, rather fondly. "Is how she pushes for me to be a better person."

Not expecting that, my eyes round a little in surprise, as he now goes to show me a caring smile.

"Before I met Yejin, I...didn't have many goals or aspiration in mind," reveals Himchan, rather solemnly. "I wasn't very motivated, but after seeing how she’s always putting use of her time towards something, I realised that...I should also take responsibility, and do my very best in everything that I do, as well." Himchan flashes a tiny grin at me. "And since Yejin has helped me a lot, I...want to be someone that she can lean on, and be comforted by," he delicately concludes.

By now, my heart is swelling with warmth, due to Himchan's amorous words.

Dad seems to be enjoying the little moment, as he quietly gazes at the two of us, with his warm drink in his hold.

Eventually, the conversation topic ends up shifting over onto other things, and as my father and Himchan converse over really strange things, (such as UFOs, and their thoughts on aliens) all I can do, is inwardly smile to myself, about Himchan’s thoughts on me. The tea and snacks soon disappear, and because time flies by with it, we all soon decide to call it a night. I was a little worried at first, with where my father and Himchan will be resting, but we all managed to work out an agreeable arrangement; Himchan will take the sofa as usual, while dad will take my bed.

Which leaves me, to be setting up multiple blankets and pillows, for the floor space in my room, next to my bed.

At first, my father didn't agree to this, but with me ushering for him to take my bed, ("Honestly, I sleep on this bed every day, so one night on the floor will be okay,") he eventually gave in. Himchan had offered the couch for me, and said that he would (surprisingly) take the floor, but I shook my head, and told him that I wanted to have some quality father-and-daughter bonding moment, just before sleeping. The three of us all individually prepare ourselves for sleep, and as I go to pull the covers over my torso, I frown at how uncomfortable the floor actually is.

But then when I turn my head a little over to the right, to see my father fixing up his pillow, I suddenly forget about my discomfort, and smile to myself.

"I approve," he speaks up, from out of nowhere. "Himchan is a good boy; I like him."

Hearing his support makes me happy. "I'm glad you do," I murmur.

My father chuckles a little, where he then slowly goes to exhale out. "Something tells me that you two will last for a long time," he softly says.

Intrigued by his comment, I blink at him. "What makes you say that?" I ask.

"Because..." he quietly says, with a small smile. "The way that he looks at you, reminds me of the way that I look at your mother."

My lips open a little in surprise. "Do you..." I pause for a bit. "Do you think she would like Himchan as well, if she was still here?"

The corner of my father’s lips curve upwards a little more, just before he tears his gaze away from the roof, and brings it over to me. "She would have loved him," he confidently answers. 

The two of us smile to each other a bit, just before returning back to staring at whatever that’s in front of us.

I now go to ask him about his life, and he tells me that he's been attending a rehab centre for his gambling addiction, which surprises me. And when I learn that the amount of loan sharks after him has been dying down, I light up. He then goes to tell me about this new job that he's been working at for a while, as a simple taxi driver. I continue to listen to him tell me about the weird customers that he would sometimes encounter, and although it makes me laugh, I also can't help but feel a little concerned for his safety.

Apparently, there was a man who didn't have enough cash on him to pay for the ride, and so to compensate for that, he ended up handing my father the latest version, of an extremely trendy phone.

"Are you sure that phone isn't stolen, or anything?" I ask, with a suspicious raise of my eyebrow. "There could be a tracking chip in there or something..."

My father hums a sound of agreement. "I thought of that too, which is why I haven't opened it or anything," he says. "I'll just wait for a bit more, and see how it goes."

The room now goes back to being silent, as I go over the things that my father has just told me.

And the more I think about it, the more relief I begin to feel, knowing that he's slowly picking himself back up again.

I'm suddenly broken out of my thoughts, when the sound of his soft chuckle, makes me look over at him. "I guess that Kyungwook fellow lost his chance before it even began," he muses. "It’s a shame though, but he'll just have to look for someone else."

My eyebrows bit by bit, pinch together in recognition of that name, and I immediately sit up from my spot. "Kyungwook..." I slowly say. "Does this happen to be Park Kyungwook, or...?"

Dad nods his head at me. "Yes," he replies. "He's head of the Matos Company, and—do you know him?"

"Know him?" I echo. "He's my sunbae, and now that I know that you were planning to have me marry him, I'm really weirded out."

My father laughs, as he goes to shake his head good-naturedly at me. "Aigoo, I wasn't really planning for you to marry him!" he says, with a dismissal flick of his wrist. "Maybe if you weren't with Himchan, then possibly...so I was only half wanting you to marry Kyungwook."

I flatten my eyes at him. "Abeoji," I blandly say. "That still means that you wanted me to marry him."

But my father shakes his head at me, with a ‘tsk’ of his tongue. "Did you not hear appa?" he mockingly says. "I said half, which means half—"

"But it still means that you want me too—"

"--Haaaalf," drawls my father, cutting me off. "Yejin-ah, appa says half, so it doesn't mean that I was thinking of going all the way with this plan, and that's all that matters."

I stare at him for a bit, (as his defending comment doesn't make any sense whatsoever) just before turning away, and settling myself back down into my pillow. "No wonder you and Himchan get along so well," I mumble, to myself.

Now that I think about it, why are all of the men in my life so odd?

Dad just laughs at my reaction, before letting out a yawn. "Alright, I'm going to rest now," he informs. "So sleep well, okay?"

His yawn is contagious, because I now find myself letting out a small yawn of my own. "I will," I softly say. "Goodnight."

And even though my eyes are now closed, I can tell that he’s smiling, from the care in his voice. "Appa loves you," he gently tells me. "Sweet dreams."

His fatherly affection relaxes me, and I realise that it's been far too long, for me to hear those words from him. "Me too," I murmur, as the tiredness begins to engulf me. "I love you too, appa..."