Intruder

Trouble in Paradise

The two of us ended up eating at a cosy restaurant, where we just talked about all different kinds of things, over some bulgogi and japchae. After finishing our scrumptious meal, we then headed over to the supermarket, to stock up on our groceries for home. Since my past shopping trips with Himchan, have never seemed to go so well, I was expecting him to be filling up our cart, with expensive (yet pointless) items. But to my amazement, that didn't happen at all this time, as we for once, shopped together, in a much more agreeable level.

A tiny smile begins to form on my lips as I think about this, and how the lack of bickering from between the two of us, is a nice change. Himchan is now contemplating on which cabbage to buy, and as I continue to watch the pondering look on his face, it makes me suppress a secretive giggle. I still remember how in the beginning, he had no idea how to choose the right fruit or vegetable, so I ended up with a lot of unripe tomatoes. And when I would go to scold him about it, his excuse was that it was the market's fault, for giving him misleading information.

Which is something that I still shake my head about, whenever I go to find myself thinking about it.

"Yah, we can't buy this!" yells a sudden female's voice, from a couple of meters away.

The complaining continues on, and when I look over, I see a girl with long dark hair, returning a packet of chips onto the shelf. Standing next to her is a boy with crimson red hair, and the more I look at them, the more familiar the pair begin to appear. I feel as though I've seen these two before, but my mind is a little blank of where I could have possibly seen them.

The male frowns, as he then reaches out for the snack once more, only to have his partner narrow her eyes at him. "Hyeri-yah, please," he whines. "I need these chips."

But the pleading pout on his face doesn't seem to affect her, as she yanks the food out of his hands again. "Seyong, we can't!" she rebukes. "Umma only gave me enough money to get what we need for dinner, so you either have to pay for these yourself, or—"

"Pleaaaase," drawls Seyong, not even bothering to hear the rest of her comment.

He's now clasping his hands together, with begging puppy eyes, and judging by the female's sudden silence, she's probably trying to think of another response.

But after a few seconds, I see Seyong suddenly exclaim with glee, as he merrily tosses the chips into their trolley.

"Hyeri-yah, I love you!" sings the boy.

A miniature smile twitches onto Hyeri's lips, but it's soon replaced with her softly grumbling something to herself. "Sometimes I wonder why I'm even dating you," she says, with sigh. "Seriously, why can't you be more like—" Hyeri halts her sentence for a bit, as she now seems to be searching for something (or someone) in the place, because when I see her gaze about to land on Himchan and I, I make sure to turn away just in time, so that I'm not caught.

So then I move a little closer to Himchan, and attempt to busy myself by assisting him with the vegetables.

"—What, why do you want me to be like him?" questions Seyong.

"Because he's actually helping his girlfriend shop!" retorts Hyeri's voice.

"Aigoooo," sighs Seyong, in a dismissive manner. "But I do help you shop."

Hyeri lets out a snort. "Yeah, for junk," she dryly says. "Why can't we just shop normally like them?"

Hearing their little bickering makes me stifle back a laugh, because these two kind of remind me of—

"Hey," calls Himchan's voice. "What's so funny, huh?"

I look up at him, and allow my eyes to crinkle a little in amusement. "Nothing," I quietly reassure.

Himchan stares at me for a bit, but then shrugs his shoulders. "Fine," he carelessly says. "Don't tell me."

I giggle a little, at the unconvinced look on his face. "Okay then," I casually say. "I won't."

And just as I expected, his curiosity makes him let out a huff. "Aish," he grumbles. "You're supposed to tell me what it is, when I say that!" Muttering some more, he then shakes his head. "Ugh, whatever," he says, while placing the cabbages into our trolley. "Let’s go."

Pushing the cart alongside him, Himchan and I smoothly continue on with our grocery shopping, where I come to realise that he's really good with this. Himchan is able to remind me about what we do and don't need, which saves me a lot of time. Before, when I would do the shopping by myself, I would often forget what I do and don't have, so I would often spend a while, debating whether or not I should purchase the item. And then in the end, when I would come home to check on the said product, it would be there. And if it's something that I chose not to buy, then it would turn out to be something that I actually needed.

We soon pay for our groceries, and as I tuck my wallet away into my purse, I turn to see Himchan carrying all of the bags.

My eyebrow rises up a little, as I go to hold out a hand. "Let me carry some," I offer.

But Himchan shakes his head at me, and declines my help. "Are you underestimating the strength of the Himbear?" he skeptically asks, with a scoff. "Psh, I can hold it."

This makes me frown a little, as I press on. "Himchan, let me take one," I insist, once more.

The dark haired male purses his lips a bit, but after letting out a small sigh, he then holds out a bag for me, and I take it. Himchan then motions for us to go, and when I look down at what I'm carrying, I realise that it's the lightest bag amongst the three. And knowing this, it makes me smile a little in appreciation, as I continue to walk next to him. We’re now outside, and the sun is set, where in its place is the night sky. Street lights are now on, to assist people's way around the place, which are also accompanied by the lighting, from some of the stalls that we're passing by.

And speaking of lighting, a certain well-lit thing suddenly captures Himchan’s attention.

"Yejin, look!" he excitingly points out. "It's me!"

Confused by his sudden comment, I immediately try to lock my eyes onto whatever it is, that he's signalling at.

And when my gaze lands itself onto a cute claw machine, the further puzzlement in me rises a lot more. 

I'm about to ask him what he's talking about, but Himchan is already standing in front of the game system, and seeing this, it makes me hurry over to him.

Happy music greets my ears from the machine, and upon closer inspection, I now see that the plushies contained inside, are of rabbit-like characters. My eyes go to read the label of what these creatures are called, and learn that they're known as 'Matoki' rabbits. I look over at Himchan, to see him scanning through the pile inside for something, and when he finds it, he begins to dig inside his pants pocket for something. And when I see that he's taken out a shiny coin, the smirk on his face makes me quirk up a questioning eyebrow.

"I'm great at these games," states Himchan, rather confidently. "So which one do you want?"

"Um..." I blink at little, but then go to search for a plush to my liking. "How about...the red one?"

Himchan stares at the rabbit of my choice for a little, before frowning at it. "No," he gruffly says. "Not that one."

I give him a weird look. "And why is that...?" I slowly ask.

"Because," huffs the (suddenly) agitated male. "The red one makes me think of...yeah."

"'Yeah'?" I repeat, with flattened eyes. "And what is 'yeah' supposed to mean?"

With his gaze narrowed at the innocent black bunny, that's wearing a red gas mask, it looks as though Himchan is trying burn that poor toy into smithereens. "Yeaaaah..." he drawls, in a bitter mumble. 

I give the dark haired male another odd look, just before shaking my head at him. "Okay, fine," I nonchalantly say. "How about...the pink one?"

This seems to make Himchan light up. "The one with the pink mask?!" he animatedly guesses.

But I shake my head at him. "No," I say, and then tap onto the glass window slightly. "The one that's actually pink...I think it's the only girl there?"

Himchan's shoulders fall limp, as his eyebrows now crumple together in displeasure. "Ugh," he grumbles, with an annoyed click of his tongue. "You pick all of the dumb ones, so I'm going to pick for you instead."

My eyebrows knit together at his complaining. "You asked me which one I wanted, so I told you which one I want," I exasperatedly point out. "So why are you getting all angry about—"

"Because you're supposed to pick this one!" snaps Himchan, as he slaps his fist down onto the black button.

We both watch in silence, as the golden claw slowly descends down, to wrap itself around one of the black bunnies. My eyes widen in surprise, when it successfully picks up the plush, and then leisurely moves it over towards the escape hole, to drop down our prize. Himchan is the first to react, as he now bends down to push open the small door, and when he straightens himself back up, in his hand is the bunny. He holds it out for me, and when I eventually take it from him, I'm aware how it's the one with the pink mask.

And when I'm reminded of how Himchan had said something along the lines of this being 'him', I then go to ask him about it.

"So what's so special about this bunny?" I probe.

Himchan picks up the grocery bags with a roll of his eyes. "Because it's me," he haughtily says. "I mean just look at it, it's the stylish one of out the others, and you know how I'm all about style."

I examine the cute plush in my right hand for a bit, just before deciding to a little. "Oh, I see," I casually say. "But I still think the red one looks the best."

This makes Himchan breathe out a scoff. "Seo Yejin, I am appalled by your choice," he playfully chides. "I can't believe you prefer that, over our own son!"

"Our son?!" I confusedly exclaim.

Himchan nods his head at me, with a child-like serious expression. "Yeah," he says, with a pout. "As of now, I, Kim Himchan, shall crown that Matoki bunny, as our baby."

I laugh at his announcement. "Oh gosh, the image of you as a father somewhat scares me," I tease, with a little giggle. "Knowing you, you would probably lose the child at a park somewhere, and then tell me that you're playing 'hide and seek' with them."

"What?!" he yells out, clearly offended. "I'm not stupid enough to do that!"

A small amused smile curves onto my lips. "So you're saying that it's possible?" I muse.

But then Himchan takes me off guard, by smirking back at me. "And you're admitting that you'll carry my children?" he says, looking entertained.

My eyes round a little. "I—" Clearing out my throat, I then quickly shake my head. "Kids with you would be a nightmare."

Himchan chuckles at my insult. "Oh, you don't mean that," he coos. "But just in case you’re curious, I want a boy and a girl, so you better give me them, or else."

"Or else what?" I drearily say.

The cheeky smirk reappears on his face again. "Or else I'll just pin you down, and keep trying for our son and daughter," he replies, with a wink.

My eyes wearily squint at him, as he snickers to himself.

"You know," be brightly begins. "Since I'm hot, and you're hot, then we're going to have the hottest babies ever. And because of that, everyone is going to be so jealous of the hotness oozing out of our hot little family."

Hearing this, I can't help but laugh at his hypothetical family. "You're so weird," I amusedly say.

"And that's why you love me," he confidently claims, with a happy beam.

I playfully roll my eyes at him. "Right..." I softly mumble.

The two of us continue our chatter all the way home, where Himchan has now convinced me to play the “would you rather?” game with him. And as predicted from his eccentric self, Himchan doesn't fail to come up with such absurd questions that make me give him the weird eye. Such as, "Would you rather walk bare foot on boiling hot coal, or hug a giant ice cube, while being ?" is asked. And whenever when I would eventually come to a conclusion, he would somehow throw in an unexpected twist, as if to say that my answer is the more difficult route.

Which would end up making me let out an aggrivated sigh, as I go to reprimand him, ("I don't understand, do you want me to die or something?!"), and he would cackle away, ("Of course not, I'm just testing out your flexibility!") obviously enjoying himself. 

Now in front of our door, I take out my keys, and begin to unlock it.

But when I realise that the door is already unlocked, I halt my actions for a bit, as my eyebrows slowly draw together.

"This is odd..." I mumble.

"What is?" perks up Himchan's voice.

I turn over to frown at him. "The door is unlocked," I answer. "I'm pretty sure I locked it on my way out."

Himchan blinks a little. "Maybe you thought you did, but you didn't?" he says, as he slightly jerks his shoulders up, to show his uncertainty.

I ponder about the possibility for a bit, and then decide to accept that option. "Probably," I say.

Opening the door, I casually walk inside, but when an unusual item is spotted near the shoe rack, I stop in my tracks.

It's a pair of shoes that I've never seen before, and the fact that the unknown object belongs to a man, it makes me gulp, as I then quickly whirl myself back towards Himchan.

"Himchan!" I frantically squeak out, in a hushed whisper.

The dark haired male quietly closes the door behind him, just before turning around, to face me with a confused expression. "What?" he says, oblivious to my panic.

My eyes scan the room for any signs of the intruder, but he's nowhere to be seen.

And because he's currently not in sight, it makes my nervous level increase bit by bit. "I think there's someone here!" I guardedly hush out.

Himchan gives me an odd look, but when I direct him over to the pair of shoes that belong to neither of us, his eyes widen. "Are you sure you've never seen them before in your life?" he worriedly asks.

"Yes!" I hiss out. "If I knew who they belonged to, then I wouldn't be so—"

"No!" interrupts Himchan.

I watch as he drops down the grocery bags, and then begins to make his way over towards the coffee table.

There, sitting on the desk, is a bowl with some soup, which looks as though it's just been recently eaten from.

Himchan picks up the empty ramyeon packet sitting nearby, and frowns at it. "Someone ate my ramyeon!" he whines, with a pout.

I watch in disbelief, as Himchan continues to sulk over his 'loss'. "Oh my goodness," I grumble, with a sigh. "Himchan, there's a stranger in our house, and all you can think about, is the ramyeon?!"

The dark haired male slowly sets down the crinkly packet, with a sad nod. "But it was the last one..." he quietly says. He then abruptly straightens up, with a determined looking expression. "Where are they?" he sternly demands.

"That's the thing," I say. "I have no idea—"

And then as if on cue, the two of us hear the shower in the bathroom turn on, informing us of the person's whereabouts.

"Oh geez, this burglar is really something, isn't he?" sneers Himchan. "He breaks in here, steals our valuables, and because that's not enough, he takes our food, and also makes sure to pamper himself up, before he leaves."

When I think about it like that, it really is an unusual thing for a robber to do...

Because what kind of burglar would make himself at home, if they had the chance to escape without leaving a trace?

"So," I try to keep calm. "What do we do?"

The serious look on Himchan's face tells me that he's conjuring up a plan. "We will..." he slowly begins. Looking around the room, he then reaches out for the nearest object; "Confront him with this."

Blinking at my umbrella, it makes me feel a little unsure. "Why don't we just call the police, and let them take care of it?" I suggest, with a frown.

"Because by the time he's finished with the shower—" Unfortunately, Himchan doesn't get to finish off his sentence, as it's suddenly become extra quiet.

And when we both realise that the mysterious burglar-murderer-psychopath-alien-invader person in there is finished with their shower, our eyes expand, causing the two of us to go into a frenzy of panic.

", , ," curses Himchan. "It's definitely a burglar, since they showered so fast!"

"And it's too late for me to call Youngjae!" I whimper.

"Here," says Himchan, as he holds out the umbrella for me.

I stare at it, and then give him an inquiring look. "What?" I say, not quite sure what he wants me to do with it.

"Our plan," says Himchan. "I told you the plan, so do it."

And when it hits me that he's expecting me to be the one to go head on with the trespasser in our bathroom, I slap the umbrella back towards his chest. "You want me to take on the robber?!" I incredulously hiss out.

"Duh!" he retorts. "But it's okay, because I'll scare them for you."

My eyebrows uneasily pinch together. "I don't like this plan, I don't—" The rattling of the bathroom door is now heard, and in that split second, my hand straightaway reaches out for the umbrella in Himchan's hold.

The two of us then silently take our position on the side, as I go to clutch the life out of the object in my numb hands. We soon hear the door gradually open, and all is mute. The silence is so loud, that it’s making my heart palpitate at such a frightening speed, but I force myself to keep my composure together. Himchan now holds out his hand for me, and soundlessly begins a countdown with his fingers.

And as soon as his pinkie pops up, he then signals for me to jump out with him, where the two of us proceed to let out a shrieking battle cry.

Startled, the intruder joins our screaming with his own frightened one, and as I go to land a blow on his head, my eyes widen in recognition, when I watch him fall down onto the carpet floor.

Shock paralyses me to the spot, and it effectively makes the umbrella drop out of my hold, as I now cover my mouth, with a worried gasp.

I can't believe I've just accidentally sent my own father, into a state of unconsciousness!

———————————————

A/N: I was originally going to make Himchan and Yejin ambush her father while he was in the shower, but...I don't know, I thought it might get a little weird for them to have an unconscious man in the shower, hahaha. But anyway, thank you so much for reading, subscribing, commenting, and upvoting! ^^ All of your reactions to Himchan 'messaging' you made me laugh so much omg LOL