New Home

Trouble in Paradise

Fishing out my keys, I then slip it into the doorknob, and with a couple of twists, the door opens.

I step inside, and with a sigh, toss my belongings onto the nearest couch, just before heading into the kitchen. My hands make way for the fridge, and once I pour myself a glass of water, it hits me that I'm not alone. Himchan is still standing near the entrance, and his wondering eyes, tell me that he is still taking in his surroundings. I quickly gulp down the rest of the liquid, and then hastily head over to him, to close the door, but he still continues to stand there, looking like a deer being spotted in the middle of the night.

And then finally, after what seems like a decade, Himchan turns to face me with an unsure expression on his face.

"I...live here, with you?" he carefully says.

I put on an artificial smile; "Yep!"

Himchan blinks at me for a bit, just before his gaze goes back to examine my apartment. "Are you sure?" he asks, while taking a step forward. "Because something tells me that I...use to be somewhere with much more...well, room?" He then turns back to look at me again, and scratches his head, looking very puzzled.

I force out a laugh, (which probably makes me look as though I was either cringing or crying) as I find myself giving him a playful slap on the arm. "You're so silly; this has always been your home!" I reply, a little too chirpy.

Yeah, I definitely deserve the worst-actor-of-the-year award.

Himchan eventually nods at me, but the uncertain expression still lingers on his face. "Okay then..." he slowly says.

A wary smile makes its way onto my face, as I gesture towards the couch for him to take a seat. He does so, but in the most cautious manner, and I realise why, when my eyes spot my mini pile of used tissues, and lolly wrappers. An empty can or two of soft drinks accompany it, and it doesn't help how I have a few pieces of clothing scattered about, along with some DVDs. Nervously swallowing, I then attempt to lighten up the mood, by asking him to make himself at home, all while trying to discard the embarrassment that I’m feeling.

His eyes continue to roam around for a little more, just before they land themselves back on me. "Geez, why is everything so messy?" he openly points out, with a scrunch of his nose. "It should be a crime for anyone to be this disgusting."

I frown at him, "Hey! I haven't had any time to myself to clean up, alright?"

Himchan ignores my comment, and then stands up from his seat. "So where can I go, to change out of these clothes?" he asks.

Ah great, how did I manage to forget that he had just walked out of the hospital, in their clothes?

And as my so called 'boyfriend' who lives with me, that means that I'm supposed to have a whole wardrobe for him, something that I obviously don't have.

Oh no, what am I going to do?

Taking a hold onto the sleeve of his top, I tug him with me into the direction of the bathroom. He blinks at me, and I motion for him to wait in there, as I go to grab his clothes.

Or at least something that can be considered as 'his clothes'.

Giving me the affirmative, Himchan steps inside, and then closes the door behind him.

And now, this is the part where I frantically search high and low around the place, for something that he can change into.

I quickly dash into my room, and open up my closet. The harshness of my pull causes the doors to make a bit of a noise, as they slightly rock a bit. My eyes desperately dart from corner to corner, skimming for anything that could work, but I just want to cry, from the amount of pressure.

I feel like I'm going to—

"Yah!" echoes Himchan's impatient voice, from the bathroom. "What's taking so long?"

"Um," I begin to dig into a random pile of clothes like my life depended on it, which is kind of did. "Hang on, I'm just..." A frustrated sigh comes out of me, "Ugh, just wait, okay?!" 

In the midst of my frenzy, something grey catches my attention. I instantly pull it out, and the amount of relief that can be felt bursting inside my chest, is probably enough to make me cry tears of happiness. Yes, I'm actually getting somewhere! Dad had left his sweat pants here, from that one time he came to visit me, just before having to be on the move again. At the thought of this, an idea clicks in my head, and with a new burst of energy, I rapidly dug through the pile, now with some hope.

And when I finish, I quickly scramble towards the bathroom, and give the door a small knock.

Himchan opens it right away, and a displeased frown can be seen on his face. "Geez, took you long enough," he grumbles, with a roll of his eyes.

And as a response to that, I carelessly throw the garments of clothing at his face.

Honestly, this ungrateful thing, who does he think he is, the king of the world?

He needs a lesson on appreciating the things that he has, because I'm starting to regret helping him at all.

Himchan clumsily catches the pieces, and with a glare, proceeds to slam the door in my face. I can feel my urge to strangle him rising, as I slowly exhale. The annoyance in me is soon replaced with some nervousness, when I hear him respond to the choice of clothing that I had just given him.

"What the hell is this?!" he shrieks. "It's hideous!"

"Well it's either that, or those hospital clothes!" I retort, "Your pick."

I hear him mutter to himself, and force myself to bite back an amused giggle.

Taking his silence as a sign of him getting changed, I then make my way into the lounge room, to tidy up the place a bit. I want to be quick, so I hurriedly grab all of the wrappers and empty snack packets, to discard into the trash. Stacking up a couple of the DVDs, I then go to pick up a few pieces of my clothing, just in time to see Himchan emerge into the room.

And I can’t help but snort out a giggle, taking in the sight of him. His eyebrows are furrowed together, and it’s obviously because he’s cringing at his attire.

"Honestly, did I really use to dress like this?" he asks, while gesturing to his outfit.

My father's grey sweat pants seem to be a tad bit short on him and noticing that, it suddenly makes me become aware of just how tall Himchan is. A white shirt with a tacky design accompanies those pants, and over that, he had my old hooded navy jacket.

Thank goodness I decided to buy that huge thing, but really, this outfit just screams out disaster.

I clear my throat, and try my best to stop the silly grin from appearing on my face; "Yeah, of course!"

Himchan shoots me a sceptical look, and it’s enough to have me laughing. "Hey, you're lying!" he states.

I bite down my lip to stop myself, and rack my head out for another lie. "Actually, all of your clothes are still at your house," I smoothly begin. "You're still in the middle of moving your things in here, and have only managed to get just a few things here, so...yeah?"

He lifts an eyebrow, "Okay then, why don't you just take me there, and let me grab my things?"

"Um...well, that's because..." Shoot, I was really at a lost right now. "—Y-You just had a fight with your parents!" I blurt out.

Himchan blinks, "Really? What did we fight about?"

"Uh, you never told me," I casually say, with a shrug. "I didn't want to bug it out of you either, because it seemed like a personal thing."

Himchan slowly nods, "Right...so where are my parents? Should we go and visit them, to let them know about my whereabouts?"

I quickly shake my head, with an uneasy laugh. "Ah, that's not really necessary," I say, and then attempt to reassure him, "I spoke to your mother on the phone while you were, um, changing."

"Oh? What did she say?" probes Himchan.

"Um," I inwardly squirm a little, in my spot. "I didn't tell her about your...memory loss, because I'm worried about what it might do to her health. She's at that age where her immune system is somewhat frail, you know? But anyway, my plan is for you to regain your memories, before your parents become suspicious of anything. We don’t want to worry them, right?"

Oh wow.

Wow, just wow...

How on Earth did I just come up with all of that?

"I see..." answers Himchan.

I give him a small smile, and upon seeing the clock on the wall behind him, I let out a gasp. "I have work in half an hour?!"

Panicking, I then hurriedly scramble into my room, in search of my work clothes. Thankfully, they were easy to find, and I didn't hesitate to strip out of my home clothes, to change into them. But as my top flies off of my head, I realise something, and my eyes widen.

I don’t live alone anymore!

Hugging my garment close to my chest, I turn my head around to see Himchan standing there at the entrance of my room. "Oh my God, get out of here!" I screech.

A pout appears on his face, "You say that we're a couple, but you treat me as though I'm some sort of stranger."

I can feel the heat increasing on my face, with the way his eyes travel around my body, and because of that, I don’t bother to comment back on what he had just said.

Grabbing onto the nearest object, (which happened to be a tissue box) I don’t hesitate to throw it at him. "Just get out of here!" I yell once more, feeling really embarrassed.

Himchan somehow manages to avoid the object, and with a huff, saunters back out towards the lounge room.