A Lesson On Manners

Trouble in Paradise

After we finish eating dinner, I ask Himchan to help me bring the empty dishes and used cutlery, back into the kitchen, but he whinges. He complains about being tired, so then I bring up our 'deal', reminding him about it, and because of that, he eventually gets up from his spot. Himchan reluctantly helps me carry everything into the kitchen, sulking during the whole process, and before he can run away, I make sure that he also assists me on storing away the leftovers. Although, as soon as I’m about to ask him to help me do the dishes, he somehow manages to flee out of my sight.

Grumbling to myself, I make another mental note of one of the things that I should lecture him about, as I scrub away at the dishes.

When they're all clean, I dry my hands, and then make my way out, with my bedroom in mind, but am shortly stopped, as Himchan suddenly calls out for me.

“Sit here,” he happily says, while patting the spot next to him.

I stifle back a yawn, feeling worn-out. “Himchan, I’m really tired, and I want to go to sleep,” I say, while blinking away the moisture from my sleepy eyes. “I have work tomorrow, so I need to rest for that.”

Himchan's eyebrows instantly draw together at this, with a pout of disapproval. “But you promised!” he cries. “You said you would watch the drama with me!”

Letting out a defeated sigh, (which is followed up by a small groan) I hesitantly drag my feet over to the couch, and plop myself down on it. “Only for half an hour, okay?” I attempt to bargain.

Himchan lets out a huff. “That’s not even a full episode,” he mutters, visibly unimpressed.

I close my eyes for a few seconds, and then open them up again. "Ugh, only one episode," I agree, through gritted teeth. "Okay?"

He stares at me for a bit, still not looking very satisfied. "We'll see," he eventually replies, in the same bitter tone.

"Himchan!" I growl, out of tiredness.

My hand then reaches for the nearest cushion on the couch, where I then go to throw it at his face, and as a response, he lets out a yelp at the sudden contact.

"Yah!" barks the blonde. "Can you stop damaging my handsome face?!"

I glare back at him; "Well if you let me sleep, then maybe I will!"

Brushing my irritated comment to the side, Himchan pouts. "Haven't you heard?" he asks. "Violence again Kim Himchan, the whole world says no."   

I give him a weird look, but it quickly turns into a shocked one, at what he says next.

"So since you hit my beautiful face, you have to kiss it better," he smugly declares.

The scowl doesn't leave my face. "Kiss your own damn face," I grumble, underneath my breath.

"Well," he begins, rather coolly. "That's kind of hard..."

Blinking at him for a bit, I then give him a strange look, just before my hand meets with my forehead, as I give my head a small shake.

He sure has an abnormal amount of self-confidence, it really is something...

Himchan then goes on to poke me, asking, or more like demanding that I kiss him better, but I continue to refuse, which makes him throw an even bigger tantrum. I then realise that the longer this goes on, the less time I will have to rest, so I come to an abrupt agreement, out of my frustration.

It's only a peck on the cheek, so it shouldn't be too bad.

Excited by my decision, Himchan boldly inches his cheek out towards me, but before I can move, he shoves my face away with his hand. "Jokes!" he yells out, rather obnoxiously, which is then followed up by an evil cackle. "I don't want your gross saliva on me."

After saying this, he snickers away, as I feel a huge wave of embarrassment wash over me, staining my pink cheeks with annoyance.

I'm exhausted from the lack of sleep, so I don't exactly need this right now.

"That's it," I snap. "I'm going to bed."

This immediately grabs his attention, as it effectively ends his sniggering. "No!" wails Himchan, as he reaches out to clutch onto me.

"Himchan," I firmly say. "Let go of me."

But the blonde boy shakes his head, and then proceeds to stand his ground. "You promised!" he yells out, trying to remind me.

"I know, but you being a little ruined it," I harshly point out.

"But..." Himchan then looks up at me with the most sparkliest puppy-dog eyes, I have (probably) ever seen. "But I'm your little ..." he softly coos.

My limbs fall limp at his attempt on being cute, and the more I stare back at him, the more my brows begin to crease together, to give him a (yet another) odd look. "Okay, you know what?" I say. "If you tell me the magic word, then I'll watch an episode with you."

Himchan instantly groans. "But I don't know this stupid magic word!" he growls, in exasperation. "Is it peanuts? Bunnies? Robots?" Himchan's guesses become more ridiculous; "The Mexican wave?!"

He then begins to shake me, as though physically moving me, would make the answer appear right in front of him. When he lets his guard down, I then use that chance to push him away from me, which makes him let out an agitated noise.

"Do you honestly not know the word, 'please'?" I question, with a small huff. "When requesting for someone to do something for you, it's common courtesy, to say 'please'."

Himchan blinks at me for a bit. "Oh," is all he says, until he goes back to nagging at me. "Please, you have to watch one episode with me!"

I slightly frown; "That's not how I was expecting you to use it, but...I guess it's something."

His eyes bright up, as I go to lean back into the couch, showing him my willing to stay. "Yes!" cheers Himchan.

I raise a skeptical eyebrow at him; "Okay, now that I've decided to watch your little drama with you, don't you have something else to say to me?"

"That I'm the best, for convincing you?" assumes the blonde, rather confidently. My eyes flatten at him, and seeing this, it instantly wipes the smile off of his face. "Ugh, that you're the best?" he grumbles, with a roll of his eyes.

I smile a little. "Why thank you," I say, in the same cocky tone. "But sadly, that's not the answer that I'm looking for."

Himchan taps his chin for a bit, until he claps his hands together. "Oh!" he exclaims, as a serious expression forms on his face. "You want y time!"

Flinching back slightly, I do a double take at him. "No, you dummy, I'm talking about saying 'thank you'!" I incredulously snap.

His eyebrows slowly draw together in confusion. "Thank...you...?" he repeats, sounding unsure.

I let out a small drained sigh. "You know?" I say, while gesturing my hand around. "You say this, when someone has done a good deed for you, to show them your appreciation?"

Himchan blinks at me for a bit, and then shrugs his shoulders. "Whatever," he dully says, but then changes that tone into a perkier one. "Drama time!"

Unamused, I watch as Himchan bounces over to the DVD case, takes out the disk, and then smoothly inserts it into the player. He then turns on the TV, sets the volume, and then, with a cheery beam, hops back over to me, now with the remote control in his hand.

"I'm excited to start watching this, because it sounds good!" he happily comments.

But my expression of disapproval is still on my face, and because Himchan seems to be so oblivious to it, (or that he's just blatantly ignoring it) I let out a yell, when I find him snuggling closer to me.

"You can't just say 'whatever' like that, because that's very rude!" I rebuke, while crossing my arms together.

With angry eyebrows, Himchan glowers; "Honestly, why do you keep yelling at me?!"

"Because you are a very rude person!" I reprimand.

"No I'm not!" he argues.

"Yes you are!" I defend. "Now apologise!"

"Apologise?!" he repeats, with a scoff. "Psh, I'm not grovelling at your feet."

I frown at him. "I didn't ask you to do that," I hard-heartedly say. "A simply 'I'm sorry', is efficient enough."

But Himchan is stubborn though, so after a couple of more seconds of not wanting to say anything, my patient wears out, causing me to rise up from my seat. "Fine," I simply say, giving up. "Since you can't seem to use these three magic words, then I'm going back to my room."

My feet only manage to move a couple of steps, before I feel something reach out for my wrist, to prevent me from going any further.

"No, wait!" pleads Himchan; "Yejin-ah, please."

Hearing this makes me eventually turn around, to see a dejected looking blonde, frowning at the ground. A mixture of unhappiness and hesitation creases his face, showing me his uneasiness. Himchan gradually lets go of me, as the silence between us continues to stretch out, and when I'm able to withdraw my hand back to myself, I neatly fold my arms together. Seeing this makes him shuffle a little in his spot, looking somewhat wary, and I can tell by the look on his face, that he wants to say something, so I continue to stand there, and wait for him.

Himchan is able to pick up on my signal. "Can we just..." His trails off for a bit, until he his shoulders drop down in defeat; "Can you just watch the drama with me?"

I stare back at him, with the frown still on my face, but because he genuinely looks upset, I let out a small sigh.

He might not verbally tell me, but his body language makes it obvious that he's feeling some shame.

Walking back over to the couch, I go to take my seat once more.

Himchan is right behind me, but when he plops himself down onto the sofa, I raise an eyebrow, at the gap between us.

"Why are you so...far away?" I ask, feeling rather perplexed.

He makes it seem as though I'm actually going to claw his eyes out, this time.

Himchan frowns. "I don't know?" he says, sounding just as puzzled. "I feel as though this has happened before, and that I'm supposed to keep my distance."

I blink at him, "Huh?"

Scrunching his eyebrows together in thought, Himchan scratches his head a little. "I don't know if it's with you or with someone else, but I get this weird feeling that...sitting down closely, after something like that, isn’t a very good decision?" he carefully explains.

This perks up my curiosity, as I begin to wonder what this could mean.

Maybe someone that he's close to, has a short temper?

Could it be his parents, or some other family relative?

Maybe it's his best friends, or even perhaps...a possible girlfriend?

The last thought makes me inwardly gasp, as my eyes round with shock; what if Himchan actually has a girlfriend...?!

I then go to shake this ridiculous idea out of my head, because there are a few things that don't quite add up.

Firstly, if he did have one, then why isn't she looking for him? Unless she actually doesn't care for his wellbeing, then I guess it would make sense, in some strange way. Secondly, why would anybody want to even be with him? He has the worst personality, and is probably the whiniest person that I have ever met. Not to mention, he seems to be quite unhelpful, it really is making me wonder what he use to do for a living. And thirdly, I'm starting to question why I'm even bothered by this, more than I am about his parents.

Maybe I feel this way, because I don't want some psycho girl chasing after me, for stealing her boyfriend away.

Out of nowhere, something can be felt on my shoulder, which causes me to snap out of my thoughts.

And when I turn my head over to my left, I can't help but stiffen up slightly, to see Himchan's head resting there on my shoulder.

I must have been really absorbed with my theory on him having a possessive partner, to not have sensed him scooting over, and now become this much closer to me.

"I'm good-looking, huh?" comments Himchan, without taking his eyes away from the screen.

Hearing this, it makes me shove his head off of my shoulder.

Himchan clicks his tongue in annoyance at this. "Yejinnie, why did you do that?" he drones, with a pout.

Shuffling himself closer to me, Himchan prepares to nuzzle against my shoulder again, but I swiftly stop him, by pushing my palm into his face.

"Aish, fine!" huffs the blonde, after removing my hand away. "If you don't want me leaning on you, then you could have just said so."

I'm about to inform him of how his actions just so happened to be quicker than my words, when I all of a sudden, feel him drape an arm around me, and with a little push, the unexpected gesture, is enough to make my head bump over onto his chest. I try to get back up, to straighten myself out, but Himchan prevents that from happening, with his arm still over me. My eyebrows knit together with uncertainty, as I contemplate on a way to get myself out of this unusual position, and I think the worst part about this, is how I can't seem to think of anything, to help me wriggle my way out.

And what I hear Himchan say next, baffles me a little more.

"Because you can lean on me instead."

I don't know what to say to this, so I just keep quiet, while trying my best, to figure out what's happening on the television screen.

"You're comfy to lean on," he says, with a small chuckle. "But I'm just as comfy, as well."

Silence envelopes the room after those words, and the only sounds that can be heard, comes from the TV in front of us.

The last time I did something like this, was back in high school, with my then boyfriend, so that was quite a while ago. I didn’t really date anyone during my time in university, and with the jobs that I have now, they’re keeping me occupied, with the thought of dating.

Letting my muscles gradually relax, I eventually allow myself to feel slightly comfortable, against Himchan’s chest.

Maybe it’s because I’m getting drowsier, as the minutes tick by, but he’s surprisingly quite cosy, and the warmth from him is nice.

And it seems to be so pleasant, that I can’t fight back the sleepiness any longer, because in the end, I gradually allow the drowsiness to finally wash over me.