Mystery

Trouble in Paradise

Zipping up my wallet, I then turn over to Himchan, for him to hand me back my ice cream cone.

The two of us have decided to grab some of the cold dessert, just before heading home, to start on his hair. At first, Himchan was rather reluctant on returning back to his natural hair colour, but with me continuously bringing up his possible baldness, he eventually agreed to it with a huff. It's a little funny, but now that I actually think of it, I don't think I can imagine Himchan with dark hair. The thought just seems a little odd to me, but that's probably because I've only seen him with light hair.

So because of this, it's now making me wonder, if the colour adjustment in his hair will help change the look on his face.

My mind temporarily places this to the side, as my eyes now find themselves taking a peak over at him.

Himchan looks content with his ice cream cone, and seeing this, I can't help but smile a little to myself. Even though I do this silently, it somehow manages to catch his attention, as he now looks over at me, to show me the joyous crinkles in his eyes.

And when I see a small smidgen of the white chocolate ice cream, smeared on the top part of his lip, it makes me chortle.

"Himchan, you have something here," I comment, while pointing to that section, but on my own lips.

The blonde stops in his tracks, to look at what I'm motioning at, and then proceeds to try and at that particular spot.

It doesn't seem to be working though, and so I continue to guide him there. "No, a little bit more to the left," I say.

But Himchan's efforts don't seem to be genuine, and as soon as I see that cheeky gleam in his eyes, I know that he's just playing with me.

"Oh, you little butthead," I mutter out. "You're just pretending not to know where the ice cream is, huh?"

Caught red-handed, Himchan doesn't even bother with his innocent act anymore, as he's now laughing away. "Aw, you caught me!" he confesses. He then swiftly away the ice cream on his lips, and then pouts at me. "But I was hoping you would kiss it off me..." he mumbles.

His mopey comment makes me laugh. "Seriously?" I muse, while giggling some more.

Himchan nods his head, with the pout still on his face. "Quite, actually," he says. "So since my plan didn't work, then I'll just kiss the ice cream off of you instead."

Now feeling alarmed, it makes me return my attention back to him. "What?" I quickly say. "But I don't have any ice cream on my—"

Without warning, I suddenly feel something cold being smeared onto my lip, and when I see that it's from Himchan purposely marking it with his ice cream cone, I blink a little.

"Now you do," he happily says, with a grin.

And before I can it off myself, I feel his lips descend on my own.

The exchange is similar to our first kiss, except in this one, I can feel his tongue glide over my bottom lip.

Himchan eventually pulls away, but when he does, he then goes to gently rest his forehead against my own. My stunned eyes blink back at his fond ones for a second or so, until he finally leans away, to chuckle to himself. I can still feel the tingling touch of his soft lips on my own, and because of that, it makes me unconsciously bite my bottom lip. Half of me feels a little flustered, while the other half of me feels that familiar sense of guilt, causing me to nervously swallow.

But when I see Himchan suddenly hold out his hand for me to take, the odd fluttery sensation in my chest, temporarily pushes away the feeling of unease in my head, as I eventually go to lace my fingers together with his.

The two of us then proceed to continue our walk back home, as we silently finish off the rest of our ice cream together.

And now that the sweet treat is consumed, Himchan begins to swing our connected hands a little, and the little motion is enough to make me gently smile.

The peaceful moment is suddenly interrupted, when out of nowhere, we hear someone scream at the top of their lungs.

"Watch out!" cries a woman's frantic voice.

A couple of frightened shrieks accompany her warning, as Himchan and I both look up in time to see a car, speeding towards our direction.

Horror strikes me, as I immediately pull at Himchan's arm, for us to bolt out of the way.

We run, and the two of us are insanely lucky, as the vehicle manages to miss us both, by a meter. But even so, this rough meter is still much too close, as my heart is viciously hammering away, at our near-death experience. The car has collided into an accessory shop next to us, and although the front of the store has smashed to bits, the owner of the place is extremely lucky, to not be present (along with anyone else), as the store is closed.

Himchan and I (along with the bystanders nearby), continue to stare at the startling scene before us, shocked to the core. After a while, we then see two men emerge out from the back seats to hastily escape, but my frozen mind is still too paralysed, to do anything about it. They manage to swiftly get away, and are long gone, before the police and ambulance show up, to start investigating the scene. I soundlessly watch, as the men of authority all file out of their vehicles, to go and inspect the damaged car.

Everything is currently happening so fast, that I don’t have the time to properly think about anything.

And as the area gradually becomes marked with police tapes, where random witnesses are now being questioned as to what had just happened, I see a man's unconscious body, slowly being brought out, from the driver's spot of that car.

The loud whispering and chatter from around, inform me that he's dead, and I wince.

If Himchan hadn't yanked me forward, for us to both dive out in that split second, then I wouldn’t be standing here.

I now see him being placed into a black, life-sized, zip-up bag, and it makes me gulp.

Suddenly, I feel something begin to shake me a little, and bit by bit, my head then gradually turns over towards the cause.

"Yejin," calls Himchan, and judging by the tone of his voice, I think he's been trying to get my attention for quite a while. "Yejin, speak to me; are you okay?"     

I can hear the major concern dripping from each syllable, as I finally look up at him.

His hands go to cup my face, as he then turns my head from side to side, in search of any injuries, and when he doesn't see anything, his apprehensive eyes then travel downwards. Himchan pats my shoulders, and then gradually moves down my arms, where he then takes a hold of both of my hands.

And when he sees that my right one has been grazed from our fall, the corners of his lips instantly tug downwards.

Himchan's gaze focuses on me again, with that frown. "You're hurt," he quietly concludes, with worry.

I shake my head at him, and then clear my throat to get my voice back. "I'm fine," I try to assure, but more to myself. "Are you alright?"

Himchan tells me yes, but my concern makes me check his body for any injuries anyway, and from what I can see, he seems to be fine, which fills me with relief.

After my exhale, I then hear a familiar voice call out to me, as they begin to make their way over here.

Both Himchan and I spot a brunette eventually approach us, and as soon as he's in front of us, his eyes start to hastily scan over the two of us. Youngjae instantly asks about our well-being, to which I go and nod my head, but Himchan stops me halfway, as he goes to hold out my scratched palm. Seeing this, it makes Youngjae pop the collar of his jacket up, to firmly speak into it, and it's not long, before a woman with a medical kit, sprints over to us.

My wound gets treated in no time, and as the lady begins to bandage it for me, I see Youngjae subtlety angle his head over at Himchan, as if to say; "Is he the missing person?"

I return the sign with a secretive nod, ("Yes, he is") and when Youngjae picks that up, surprise flashes across his face for a brief second, just before his professional expression appears once more.

We all voice out our gratitude, right before the woman makes her way off elsewhere, to attend to another person's needs.

And now that it's just the three of us, Youngjae sees that it's time to begin his questions.

He asks us the obvious "What happened?", and I tell him how we were just casually walking, when that car just all of a sudden, drove towards us. The car is apparently a stolen vehicle, and when Youngjae goes to ask us if there was anyone else inside the car, (aside from the (now dead) driver), Himchan brings up the two suspicious men escaping from earlier back.

Although being aware of them is a good start, but because they were both covered so well, their identities are pretty much masked, making us all sigh.

But as Youngjae gets Himchan to repeat his vague description of the men's height, hair, and build, I get pulled away to the side, by the brunette himself.

"Noona, there's been something that I've been meaning to ask you," he says.

And the uneasy look on his face makes me anxious. "Go on," I beckon.

"On the day when you filled out the missing person's form, at the station..." he slowly begins. "You specifically saw me place them into a folder, correct?"

I give him a nod of my head. "Yes, I believe so," I say. "Why, what's the problem?"

Youngjae's face hardens a little, as he shows me a bitter frown. "It's missing," he reveals, with a sigh.

"Missing?" I repeat, in bewilderment. "How can that be? Maybe you misplaced it somewhere, or they're just lost amongst the other documents?"

But the young male shakes his head, with a stern expression. "That's not possible," he answers. "I'm very careful and precise about my things, so it can't happen. I think the strangest part is that I've literally searched every single part of the station, but haven't found a trace of it. It's as if you've never filled out those forms, at all."

A frown comes onto my face, as I try to find a possible reason for the document's sudden disappearance, but I'm blank. "Do you think...maybe someone could have moved it?" I suggest, after a second or so.

"Yes," replies Youngjae, right away. "I think it was moved, to then be discarded elsewhere."

A baffled crinkle makes me pinch my eyebrows together. "But why would anyone do that?" I say. "The only thing I can think of, is—"

"—if someone has a grudge against the person," finishes Youngjae. "It's a little intense, but with the right amount of loathing, I think it's possible. And if I'm on the right track, then don't you find it a little strange, at how those files disappear, with this 'crash' suddenly happening?"

I'm silent for a good few seconds, as my lips now purse into a tight line. "You don't think..." I swallow, and then force myself to voice out the dreaded possibility; "You don't think that they're linked, do you?"

But Youngjae unfortunately gives me the dreaded affirmative. "I do," he responds. "I really do, noona. Can you think of anyone that might not be very favourable of Himchan hyung?"

His question quiets me down once more, as I furiously begin to search through my mind.

But how am I supposed to answer this, if I still haven't found a single person, that's connected to Himchan, in some kind of form?

My eyes glance over at the blonde for a second, who is currently nodding at an officer, just before returning them back onto Youngjae. "I have absolutely no idea," I confess, with dejected shoulders.

Seeing my solemn expression, it makes Youngjae give me a reassuring pat on the shoulder. "Hey, it's okay," he gently says. “I'll try to see if I can snoop around for a background check, so that's a start."

I weakly nod, feeling upset about not being able to be as much help to him.

"And while I'm at it, I'll be making sure to keep an eye on the other workers here, in the police force," concludes the brunette.

I carefully look up at him. "Do you really think that there's a mole of some sort?" I ask.

And when he gives me a simple bob of his head, I frown, suddenly feeling a little guarded with every police officer passing by.

———————————————

A/N: Okay, this...turned out to be a LOT more dramatic than I thought it would be, so...yeah o__o LOL but thank you for reading, subscribing, commenting, sharing, upvoting, and supporting this story! Bah I honestly can't thank you all enough ;__;