Awkward

Trouble in Paradise

I'm not sure how to feel.

Actually, I do know, it's just that, I think that there's too much of this nervous feeling, that it's somehow manage to freeze my body.

And I feel as though the slightest thing can make me—

"Yejin-ah, are you home?" calls out Yongguk's voice.

An accidental squeak manages to escape through me, and I immediately clamp my mouth shut, with wide eyes.

...Is it too late to pretend that I'm not at home?

Knowing the answer, I slowly exhale, square out my shoulders, and then force myself to put on a composed expression. My hand then unlocks the door, making it look as casual as I can, where I then go to welcome Yongguk's face, with a tiny smile.

He returns the kind gesture, just before a look of concern appears on his face. "Are you okay?" he inquires. "I heard you scream just then, what happened?"

My eyes crease a little in embarrassment, as I give him a sheepish grin. "Oh, you heard that?" I say, laughing slightly. "I...kind of tripped on my way here to the door."

Yongguk blinks at my fib for a bit, just before shaking his head at me. "Aigoo, you should be more careful," he advises.

Chortling, (somewhat) nervously, I then go to ask him; "So...what brings you hear today?"

The happy air around Yongguk instantly morphs into one of seriousness. "It's obvious, isn't it?" he says. "I want to make sure that he's not some creep."

Astonishment washes over me, as I blink at him, not knowing how to respond. My mouth opens with the intention of voicing out how un-needed this is, but nothing comes out, so I end up just letting out a beaten puff of air. "Look at me," I murmur, while gesturing to myself. "I'm fine; I'm alive, and he hasn't stolen anything. He also isn't making me do anything against my own will, so I think he kind of passes the test, right? Anyway, I'm kind of busy today, so—"

My attempt of closing the door doesn't succeed, because it's stopped by Yongguk's palm, as he forces it back open.

"For all I know, you could be lying to me, like how you're lying to him," he firmly states.

This makes me stiffen up for a split second, and out of paranoia, I turn my head around, to spot for a certain whiney blonde.

And thankfully, Himchan is currently not in the room.

A bothered groan comes out of me. "Himchan is harmless!" I blurt out, in frustration.

My comment makes Yongguk crumple his eyebrows together, not believing my words. "Then I want to see that with my own eyes," he softly, yet sternly, remarks.

I open my mouth for a retort, but another voice interrupts me, before I can utter anything out.

"Yejin-ah!" calls out Himchan, sounding slightly muffled.

Hearing my name, I immediately turn towards his direction, but instantly feel confused, upon the sight of him. Himchan's entire head is completely covered by his sweater, most likely because he's having trouble slipping it over his head. His arms are outstretched in a weird angle, and because his vision is utterly blocked, his hands continue to blindingly claw at the air, as he steadily advances forward.

"Yejin-ah, I'm scared," cries the blonde. "It's dark in here, help me!"

I gape at him for a bit, just before shaking my head with a sigh.

If Himchan can struggle with putting a sweater over his head, then he'll definitely be able to find a way to choke on rice.

"Aish," I click my tongue in exasperation; "Come here, you silly dummy."

An unimpressed sound comes out of him. "Yah, how can I come to you, when I can't even see where you are?!" he whines. "Something's snagged itself onto my hair, so I can't put this stupid sweater on."

My feet then make their way over to him, where I then begin to help him out of his (quite bizarre) tussle. "Honestly, what am I going to do with you?" I wearily mumble.

Obviously, my remark is a rhetorical one, but Himchan, being the smart-arse he is, just has to cheekily reply back with something. "Well, you're going to make sweet, sweet, love to me," he chirps. Himchan's bright beam greets me, once his jumper finally manages to correctly sit itself on him like how it's supposed to; "Right?"

I make a face at him, but when my eyes find themselves landing on Yongguk, (who is still standing at the doorway) I suddenly feel extremely embarrassed. "You really need to stop thinking with your other brain," I hiss. "And especially when we have a guest!"

My hand signalling towards the door causes Himchan to turn around, and blink twice.

It’s quiet as the two males meet eyes, and I wait for them to greet each other; half expecting it to be an awkward "hello" of some sort, but that doesn't happen.

"What's he doing here?" sneers Himchan, with a scrutinizing glare.

Yongguk speaks before I can answer; "I'm here to visit my best friend."

Himchan squints his eyes at Yongguk's calm response, but his judging stare, doesn't seem to be affecting the latter male.

While their little staring competition continues on, it comes to my attention, that the atmosphere is becoming a little uncomfortable, to have the three of us just standing here, near the front door. So with a clear of my throat, I then eventually dive into the (fairly) smothering stillness, and motion for Yongguk to come inside. Disbelief flashes across Himchan's face as this happens, so I give him a sharp look in return, silently praying that he isn't going to be rude.

The three of us then migrate over towards the sofas, and as this happens, I find myself shifting a little, from the chilly environment. I mentally let out a sigh, to see that their staring competition has now turned into more of a glaring competition. The electric zap from their intense gaze, makes me want to smack my head against the coffee table. Or just bury myself underneath the couch instead, and not come out for a while. I inwardly groan at this edgy feeling, and I know that if I don't say something soon, then it will just continue to escalate, and make me go crazy.

So on the count of three, I force myself to put on a smile, and then begin some light conversation with Yongguk, all while trying to have Himchan be involved as well.

I'm glad that the three of us aren't exactly sitting in a heavy silence now, but unfortunately, the awkward vibe is still present. The two males have a semi poker-face expression plastered on their faces, but even so, I can tell that they're not at ease with one another. Yongguk's eyebrows are slightly joined, while Himchan's arms are firmly folded together, over his chest. I frown at these stiff signs, so as another attempt to get them to be on friendlier terms, I bring up the subject of age.

Casually throwing it out there, that they're both born in the same year, (or so I hope) I then go on, to encourage the two to talk less formally with one another.

But instead of getting the positive response that I was hoping for, I think I've just added more fuel to the fire...

And so because of this, I need to think of something else to make them get along.

"Ah, Yongguk, do you want a drink or anything?" I pipe up, with a clap of my hands.

He shakes his head, and when his eyes flicker over to me, they soften a little; "No, I'm fine, thanks."  

"Are you sure?" I press on. "I just recently bought this juice that—"

"You mean I recently bought that juice," interjects Himchan.

My teeth grit together, as I force myself to swallow down the vexation, provoked by Himchan's interruption. "Sorry, I mean, Himchan," I correct, with a sigh; "Has just recently bought this juice that tastes really good, and—"

The said blonde cuts me off again. "Yah, I bought that juice for you," he reveals.

My eyebrows furrow, as I then redirect my attention back over to him; "Yes, and your point is?"

Himchan lets out a scoff. "That I bought it for you," he points out, as if it were the most noticeable thing in the world; "And only for you."

If his comment was said in a different tone of voice, then I possibly would have felt touched, by his words...

But because of how harsh and snappy he was being, those thoughts instantly flew out of the window, as I put on an artificial smile.

Tilting my head to the side a little, I make sure that Yongguk can’t see the side of my face, from his seat. "But there's plenty, and it wouldn't hurt for Yongguk to have some," I say, through gritted teeth. "Right, Himchan?"

Himchan shoots me a furious look, and then proceeds to subtly shake his head 'no' at me, but I ignore it.

"Yejin-ah, it’s okay," assures Yongguk.

"See?" snaps Himchan, while holding his palm out, towards the other male in the room. "He's fine without the juice."

By now, the smile on my face was starting to falter. I can feel it getting a little bit harder to keep on the cheery expression, as Himchan continues to pigheadedly retort back to me. His unwillingness to share is making my fingers itch with crossness, and the urge to slap him silly is so great, but Yongguk's presence (being reminded, with the occasional "It's okay" from him here and there) prevents me from doing so.

And because of Yongguk's company, I can't afford Himchan to mortify myself any further.

With a conquered sigh, I then stand up from my spot. "Fine," I suddenly say. "I'll get the juice instead."

My announcement silences Himchan, as Yongguk quietly continues to watch me, where I soon leave the two, and then head into the kitchen.

Pulling out three glass cups, I then force myself to breathe in and out, as an attempt to sooth down my exasperation. The kitchen isn't too far away from the lounge room, so either Yongguk and Himchan are mumbling to each other, or they're both just sitting in an uncomfortable silence; a thought that makes me feel just as uncomfortable, as well. It makes me curious as to what they could possibly be talking to each other about, so I'm careful with my movements, making sure to make as less sound as possible.

Opening the fridge door, I then pull out the juice carton, but as soon as I turn around, I find myself doing a slight jump.

"What are you doing here?" I nippily question.

"Taking the juice away from you," replies Himchan, with a look of disinterest.

He then reaches out for the carton, and then snatches it out of my hold.

"Hey!" I yell, and then attempt to bring it back into my hands.

But Himchan raises his arm, making my reach just a tad bit more difficult. "He's not getting this juice," says the blonde. "It's sacred."

"Sacred?" I repeat, with a scoff; "Oh geez, sacred my ; we can always buy more!"

"But this is our juice!" stresses Himchan, with a pout.  

His comment makes me shake my head at him, where I can feel the vexation resurfacing. "Oh my goodness, what is wrong with you?" I hiss. "Haven't you heard, how sharing is caring?"

A discontent grunt comes out of him. "But that’s the thing, I don't care!" seethes Himchan, while crossing his arms together.

I stare at him for a bit, as he proceeds to stand his ground, by glaring down at me. Clicking my tongue in frustration, I then shove him out of the way. "You are unbelievable," I bitterly mumble. "Fine; I won't give him the stupid juice, so I'll get him some cider instead."

Himchan lets out a dramatic gasp, as I go to open the refrigerator door once more. "Yah, how dare you call our juice, stupid, huh?" he yells, clearly offended.

I ignore him, as I reach in to pull out two cans of sparkling lemonade.

Setting them down onto the counter, I then pull out a few snacks from the cupboard, but when I spin back towards the drinks, the sight of them being in Himchan's hands, makes me raise an eyebrow.

"I'll take the drinks, so you can bring the chips," he says, from out of the blue.

His shift in attitude makes me feel even more confused, and when I see the mischievous glint in his eyes, I suspiciously squint my eyes at him. "What are you doing?" I firmly demand.

Himchan blinks at me, with his fake (and sudden) angelic aura. "What are you talking about?" he responds, a bit too cheerfully. "I'm helping you bring out the snacks for our guest, like the good boyfriend I am."

My eyebrows are still crinkled, feeling slightly wary of his sudden perkiness.

But before I can further interrogate him about it, Himchan grabs out another cider can from the fridge. He then swiftly collects the other two that I had left out on the kitchen counter, and just as he makes his way back out into the lounge room, he gives me a wink.

A wink that informs me how he's obviously up to something.

I blink at his retreating figure for a while, and when I eventually return my attention back over to the chips, I force myself to quicken up my pace.

Kim Himchan, what exactly are you planning?

———————————————

A/N: Omg, all of your reactions to Yongguk appearing out of nowhere is so funny LOL hahaha, thank you for making me laugh! But wow, so a lot of you guys are actually Yongguk biased, eh? That’s pretty cool, because I wasn’t expecting that *__* And you know, just to throw things off a little more, my B.A.P bias is actually Daehyun LOLOL ;D