In The Club

Trouble in Paradise

“Are you serious?!” blurts out Himchan, as he continues to gape at an elderly couple, walking by.

I laugh, fairly enjoying the shocked (and disappointed) look on his face. “Oops,” I say, with mock innocence. “I guess I kind of forgot to mention that this club is more family friendly, than your usual one.”

Himchan frowns, obviously not liking this turn of events. “So you basically sing for oldies,” he states, not very impressed. “Don’t tell me your style of music is trot, or something?”

Amused, I give him a shake my head. “No, I can’t do trot, although I kind of want to try now, just to spite you,” I tease. “But come on, I don’t exactly just sing for ‘oldies’—I can perform for people our age, too.”

“Well why couldn’t you do that today?” he mutters, with a sour face.

I let out a sigh, and decide to dismiss his comment. “Come on, let’s just go and find a table to sit at,” I suggest, and then begin to lead the way.

We soon end up finding a spot on the side to settle ourselves in, and it's an alright space, with the view of the stage being fairly decent. The night starts off with a young male, who has incredible vocals that can (still) make my heart do a flip, because his long notes never fail to stun me with amazement.

Actually, his voice in general is very mesmerizing, I'm pretty sure that it’s capable of making the older ladies (and men?) swoon, as well.

Leaning over next to Himchan, I then nudge him slightly. “See, the place isn’t just filled with ‘oldies’,” I whisper.

He rolls his eyes at me; “Oh that’s right, I forgot that they have babies, as well.”

“Babies?!” I repeat, with great surprise. “Daehyun’s only a year younger than me!”

Himchan scoffs. “Well, he looks like a baby,” he mumbles. “A very sneaky baby, too, I mean look at him and that sleazy smile, trying to seduce everyone in the room, right at this second. I’ve got my eye on you, boy; I know what you're up to.”

I elbow him a little. “You weirdo, how is his smile sleazy?” I say, while giving him a weird eye. “Have you looked at yourself in the mirror?”

“Every day,” he coolly replies. “I mean, if you’re fortunate enough to look like me, then it would make sense to always marvel your appearance, with every passing mirror, right?” He then lets out a small sigh; “You know, sometimes I wonder how it's possible for me to be so perfect...”

His ridiculously cocky comment makes me snort out a laugh, as I go to shake my head at him.

How can someone be so incredibly vain about their self-worth?

Himchan then changes the subject. "By the way, how do you know him?" he asks, while nodding his head towards Daehyun's direction.

I blink at him for a bit, as the memories of the performer on stage, begin to fill my mind. "Uh, well...we...kind of had a 'thing', I guess?" I slowly begin.

My response makes Himchan gasp rather dramatically. "He seduced you, didn't he?!" he says, while pointing a horrified finger at me.

The table a few steps away on my left, can be seen giving him looks of puzzlement, and noticing this, makes me give his hand a slap, to push it down. "Shush, you're so loud!" I hiss, in a scolding tone.

"So he did seduce you, huh?" continues Himchan, with a skeptical eyebrow.

I frown at him. "No, he didn't," I calmly respond. "We didn't even date."

Curiosity makes Himchan tilt his head at me; "Huh?"

My lips slightly purse to the side in thought. "We flirted, and did some cute things, like hold hands, hug, and whatnot," I explain, with a small shrug. "I liked him, and he liked me, but...I decided that I couldn't begin a relationship, while getting the marks that I wanted, with it being my final year of school. He was sad, and so was I, but he thankfully understood, so the two of us agreed to not start anything, and then...I guess we kind of lost contact once I got into university, and him concentrating on his entrance exams."

Himchan slowly nods his head, as he takes in my little story. "You must have been a nerdy girl," he says, with a crinkle of his nose.

I arch an eyebrow at him. "There's nothing wrong with being a nerd," I sternly say. "I was somewhat of a bookworm, but I wanted to work hard, to get into what I wanted."

A sly smile then causes Himchan's lips to slowly move upwards, in a shifty manner. "Hmm, then I guess you must have been an extremely impressive student, because it's obvious that you got what you wanted in the end," he says, and I suddenly feel something snake itself around my waist; "And that's me."

Himchan proceeds to grin at me, as I furrow my eyebrows at him, and when I go to nudge his arm away, he would just casually slip it back on, as though my actions are nothing.

When Daehyun's performance comes to an end, I then use the chance to make my way over to the bathroom, to prepare myself. Himchan lazily waves me off, as I go to inform him of this, so because of that, I’m able to quickly scurry away, without feeling too worried, of him possibly doing something stupid.

———————————————

It doesn’t take me too long to change into my dress, and then fix up my hair, so that it looks presentable. With the soft sounds of the music coming through the walls, I use the acts being performed, as a rough way to time myself, of when to leave the room.

And after I finish applying on some suitable makeup to enhance my features, I then exit the bathroom, and begin to head my way back over to my spot, where Himchan is sitting.

Setting my bag down on the table, I then retake my seat. “So how have the performances been?” I loudly whisper, over to the blonde.

Himchan shrugs a shoulder. “Eh, it’s been okay,” he indifferently replies.

After a few seconds of looking uninterested, his dull face instantly turns into one of wonder. Himchan continues to blink at me, looking shell-shocked, as his gaze then eventually travels up and down myself, as though he can’t believe what he’s seeing. His gawking makes me shuffle a bit in my spot, feeling a bit self-conscious, as I go to smooth out the end of my dress.

Seeing him eye me like that, sends a wave of déjà vu through me, of the first time we had met.

I then decide to speak up; “What?”

“If this is how you look, when you go to sing for these people," he breathes out; "then I wonder how you would dress, when singing for a younger crowd...?”

I ponder for a bit. “It’s actually not much of a difference, really,” I respond, not thinking greatly of it. “Although, I probably shouldn’t have worn this dress tonight, since it’s a bit tight—”

“No!” interjects Himchan. “I think you should always wear this dress, or at least something similar. This type of clothing is something that you should live in, and especially when we’re alone.”

My brows pull together, as I watch him wriggle his eyebrows at me, in a suggestive manner. “I have a better idea,” I say, with some sarcasm. “How about you stop thinking with your other brain, and start showing these people your manners, by enjoying their performances, yeah?”

“Well it would be a lot easier, if you didn’t look so amazing,” replies Himchan, sulking somewhat.

Choosing not to respond, I then focus my attention back on the man, who’s currently doing some strange dance moves, that kind of resembles of one riding a horse.

And after he’s finished, I then grab my song sheets, and tell Himchan to take care of the rest of my belongings, as I then make a beeline towards the backstage.

———————————————

I give another grateful bow towards the crowd, as they all clap for me.

While expressing my thanks, I manage to catch Daehyun’s eye contact from the crowd, where we then exchange a little smile, just before I go to return the microphone back to the host. When that’s done, I then make my way down the stage, and then over to Himchan, who is sitting with my belongings. He still has that awed look on his face, that formed as soon as I began to sing, and I had to force myself not to look at him too much (during my performance), unless I wanted to start laughing at the sight of his dropped jaw.

Once everything is over, with me collecting my prize money, I then grab my things, and begin to exit the place.

“I still think you should have won first place,” comments Himchan, as we walk out of the building, together.

“Well, it's kind of hard to be in first place, when you're also up against Daehyun,” I remark.

“Psh, Daehyun, Smaehyun—how could anyone not give you first place, when you were moving against the microphone stand like that?” says Himchan, rather dramatically.

I give him a strange look. “Um, I just walked around it,” I blandly point out. “Why do you make it seem as though I was practically grinding on it, or something?”

Himchan lets out a low whistle. “You have to make that happen,” he demands. “Except instead of it being with the mic stand, it’s with me.”

I scrunch my nose at his request, and then cringe. “You are disgusting,” I gag. “Get away from me.”

And with that, I begin to pick up my pace, to walk ahead of him.

Seeing this, Himchan quickly rushes after me. “Aw, Yejinnie, I was joking!” he quickly says, with a pout. “Or was I…?”

His immediate shifty tone of voice makes me stop in my tracks, to face him with flattened eyes, but Himchan just grins at me with the peace sign in return, which then causes me to shake my head at him.

“Okay,” surrenders Himchan, with an inflated sigh. “I’ll stop commenting on your luscious body…for now.”

“Himchan!” I rebuke.

But he just laughs at my scolding voice. “Okay-okay, serious time!” he announces, in a strange singing voice.

And it’s so weird, that I know that he should (probably) never ever become a singer.

“I just want to let you know, that I remember watching you sing, before,” he announces.

My eyes widen, as I turn to him, feeling some hope escalate within me; “Really…?!”

Himchan nods at me. “Yeah, I remember you singing, but...I don’t think it was at this place,” he says, with a scratch of his head. “Something tells me that it was somewhere else.”

Absorbing that information in, I feel a light wash of relief run over me.

We’re moving forward with his memory loss!

“By the way, that man trying to rap back there was horrible,” says Himchan, with a frown. “I bet I can do it better than him, because he should have done it like this—”

Himchan then begins to recite the lyrics, and his deep voice, with a twist of its huskiness, makes me almost drop my bag.

He can—!

“You can rap?!” I yelp, feeling completely blown away, by this brand new piece of information.

I wonder if there are any other possible talents that he’s keeping from me.

Himchan just gives me a strange look, as I then open up my bag, to hastily pull out a song sheet.

Pointing to the first line, I then ask him to try and say it out as best as he can, and when he does, my mouth drops, as I feel an odd shiver crawl up spine.

I still prefer Yongguk’s voice for rapping, but…Himchan isn’t bad.

“Why does this song sound like a stalker song?” he points out, with a lifted eyebrow. “It sounds pretty good though. I bet if there was a music video for this, then I would be cast as the role of being stalked, because who wouldn’t want to stalk me, eh?”

“Me,” I monotonously answer, with a frown.

Himchan pouts, “Aw, you’re only saying that, because I’m your amazing boyfriend!”

His comment makes me sigh, as I go to place my hand on my forehead.

It’s strange how one second, he would forget about us being a 'couple', but then at the next, make it sound as if we've been together for a really long time.

“Come on, let’s just go home…” I mumble, with a shake of my head.