Countdown

Trouble in Paradise

When Hyosung says that she hates waiting, she really means it.

Because not even a week has passed by, (possibly five days at most?) and she's already managed to somehow organise a huge, one day, cruise event.

Everything is glamorous, and the guests are just as talkative and loud as the host herself. I can recognise a couple of people here and there, as my eyes go to wonder around the huge white ship. They had also attended Jieun's event, and by seeing this, I can tell that the two must be connected to a similar clique of people. My attention then side-tracks itself over to Himchan, to see him laughing away at something, that a familiar, dark-orange haired girl has just said. I watch, as he now gives Sunhwa a skeptical expression, and the look alone, makes her snort out a laugh.

The two continue to converse away, with Jieun occasionally speaking here and there, so I find myself smiling a little, to know that Himchan is enjoying himself.

"Have you told him yet?" questions a sudden female's voice, on my left.

I straighten up slightly, and then turn over, to face an expectant Hyosung. "I—" My gaze can't seem to continue looking at her, as it now falls down towards the ground. "I actually haven't..."

Hyosung is not happy. "What?!" she exclaims, with creases of displeasure, in her eyebrows. "How come? You said you would, so I thought you would have done it by now!"

My lips frown at her snappy tone. "I know!" I respond, feeling rather annoyed myself. "I know, but...I just..." I let out a sigh. "I just need some time, to plan out exactly what I want to say, and how I'm going to say it."

The unconvinced expression continues to sport Hyosung's face. "And just how much more time do you need?" she asks, with a purse of her lips. "Because honestly, the more you delay it, the harder it will become."

Her comment makes that uncomfortable knot in my stomach tighten itself even more, because I know that she's right.

Turning to her now with a firm look, I then attempt to ease myself, with a steady exhale. "But the thing is, I will tell him," I sternly say. "I will tell him, and it will be—" The pressure of all of this, makes me hastily say out the first thing that comes to mind. "Some time during the boat ride."

Somewhat surprised, Hyosung looks as though she wasn't expecting me to say this, with how her eyebrows are now raised up so high. "Really?" she curiously says. "I thought you would wait until after we've all had our fun, but that's fine with me."

Once again, I find it hard to speak, and because of my spontaneous promise, I feel worse.

But even if I had been able to say anything, I wouldn't have had the chance to voice it anyway, as someone has just called out for Hyosung.

With a wave of her hand, she then gives them a bright smile, just before excusing herself from me, to make her way over to them.

I quietly observe, as she happily makes her way over to the circle, and when I see that I'm now by myself again, I can feel the uneasiness (now much heavier) begin to take over me.

Everyone is enjoying themselves, while I can't seem to do this, because—

"What's wrong, babe?" probes a concerned male's voice. "Do you get motion sickness, or something?"

I blink a little, just before shaking my head no. "I'm just...um, people watching," I quietly say, hoping not to sound too unsure.

Himchan tilts his head at me. "People watching?" he repeats, with mild interest. "Why? Is that your excuse to secretly watch me, so that I don't run off with another girl?"

His conceited answer makes me temporarily forget about the guilt in me, as I go to press my lips together, into a tight, skeptical line.

This causes Himchan pop out a chuckle. "Aw, you're so cute," he playfully croons. "You don't have to worry about anything, because you know that my eyes are only on you, right?"

I inwardly gulp down a nervous lump, before he decides to continue on.

"But hey, aside from my handsome self, I know something else, that you will like to see," enlightens the dark haired male, with a wink.

His somewhat shifty comment makes me lift an eyebrow up at him. "And what may that be...?" I slowly ask.

A smirk now decorates itself onto his sly face. "Not telling~" he haughtily sings. "Because where's the fun in that? Come on, I'll show you instead, if you come with me upstairs."

I'm confused. "Upstairs?" I say, with puzzlement.

Himchan bobs his head at me. "Yeah, the top deck!" he happily says. "Aigoo, Yejinnie is so weird; have you never been on a boat before?"

"I have, although...not one as big as this one..." I mumble. "And besides, I've never really been fond of boats, anyway."

Taking a hold of my hand, Himchan now begins to lead me towards the inside. "Hmm?" he questioningly hums. "Why?"

Himchan's obliviousness to my dislike for ferries and such, make me gloomily sigh to myself. "No reason..." I gently answer. "Anyway, have you been to the top already?"

"Yeah," he brightly chirps. "Hyosung showed me, so I want to show you, since I think the view is pretty cool."

Hearing the name of the person, who is constantly reminding me of my wrong doings, makes my mood sink a little more. "I see..." murmurs my voice.

The two of us eventually make our way towards the steps, of the indoor section of the boat, where we then slowly start to ascend them. An opening eventually greets us, and when we emerge from it, we're exposed to the warm sunlight, yet again. Himchan now gives my hand a gentle tug, telling me to follow him, and when I do, it's not long, before I find myself out in an open space. The bright sky, and sparkling water is surrounding me with so much blue, that I find myself slowly relaxing, as a smile starts to grow on my face. There doesn't seem to be anyone on here with us right now, because the sounds of their talking, is all coming from the space below.

Smiling over at Himchan, he returns the gesture with a grin, just before signalling me forward, to follow him again. He leads me a little more over to the edge, so that we're now able to have a closer look, at the rushing water. The breeze is nice here, and the rays from the sun aren’t too hot, so it seems almost perfect. And since there isn't any railings for us to lean or hold onto, I force Himchan to be extra careful in his movements. He flattens his eyes at me, as if to say, "really?" but when he sees how serious I am, he playfully rolls his eyes at me, just before deciding to step with more caution.

We're now at the centre of the roof again, and I can feel Himchan give my hand a tiny squeeze.

"You know..." he softly speaks up, making me curious. "You haven't really been yourself, lately. What's on your mind?"

His query surprises me a little; could this be my chance to tell him?

With that thought in my head, it makes me nervously swallow. "I'm...sorry, if I've made you worry," I say, genuinely grateful for his concern. "But you really shouldn't."

Himchan blinks at me, clearly confused. "What?" he cluelessly says. "I'm not allowed to be worried, about what's troubling the person that I adore the most?"

His sweet words cause a remorseful pang, to be felt in my chest. "Stop..." I inaudibly say, with a small frown. "You need to—"

"—Stop caring about you?" finishes Himchan, while giving me an odd look. "Seriously, what's with you?" 

And what he goes to say next, makes my heart skip a beat, as I didn't think that he would ever actually say those words to me.

"I care about you, because I love you!" reveals the affectionate male. "I love you, Yejin, so of course I'm going to be sad, when I see you upset about something..."

My breath is caught in my throat, as I go to mutely stare back at him.

Himchan delicately caresses my cheek, just before letting his fingers, play with the ends of my hair. "So tell me," he tenderly says. "Tell me what's wrong..."

My voice temporarily disappears for a bit, and I suddenly feel absolutely numb—I'm not ready; this is all too sudden. 

Due to my lack of response, it makes Himchan somewhat frown. "Hmm, are you thirsty?" he suddenly asks. "Because I am."

The innocent grin on his face, manages to make me smile a little. "I guess," I eventually say, with a tiny nod—maybe I can grab some time, to think of what to do?

"Okay, then what do you want?" he eagerly questions. "I'll bring it here for you, and then we can talk."

The last part of his comment makes me panic a bit. "Mm..." I hum a little, attempting to appear casual. "Surprise me," I finally say, with a shrug.

Himchan blinks at me a bit, just before letting a cheeky smirk appear on his lips. "Okay then," he lightly says. "I'll be right back~"

I watch, as he makes his way back over towards the stairs, and when his figure completely disappears inside, I breathe out a small, tired sigh.

How do I do this?

Turning my attention back to the front, I attempt to calm myself down, with the cool breeze, and sunny rays of light, but it's a little hard. My feet find themselves little by little, walking back over towards the edge, so that the view of the water is clearer for me. I make sure to stand at the section with the railing, as I don't exactly trust my dazed self right now, to be standing somewhere without anything, that I can immediately grab onto, for some support. My mind now travels back to Himchan, and the mess that I've dragged us both into. I nervously bite my teeth together, as my brain now tries to figure out a way, to tell him who he really is, but I honestly can't conjure up anything, as of the moment.

And because my thoughts are just so deeply distracted, in finding a resolution, I'm somewhat startled, to see that there's someone else, now standing next to me.

"Oh my goodness," I gasp, with a small jump.

The brunette male shows me a tiny apologetic smile. "Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you," he sheepishly says.

I shake my head at him, with a dismissive wave of my hand. "It's fine, really," I say. "But when did you get here? Actually, wait...you're here, too?"

Yongguk simply nods his head at me. "Yeah, I'm also surprised, that I'm here, as well," he says. "My friend, Hana, invited me to come along, since she says that I've been too cooped up in the studio, so...yeah. I didn't know that you would be here too, and I just..." His voice disappears slightly, and I can tell that he's feeling somewhat shy. "So uh, I mean—um, how are you?"

His awkward vibe, begins to rub off on me, as I find myself now unable to directly look at him. "I've been alright," I automatically say. "Yourself?"

"Oh, uh, yeah, same here, I guess," he nervously answers.

I turn my gaze back over to him, to see him rubbing the back of his neck, and I can't help but sadly smile at him. "You know," I gently start off. "You've never really been a good liar..."

This catches his attention, and with how quick he goes to look at me with surprise, I know that I'm right.

Yongguk doesn't say anything right away, and I know it's because he's feeling too embarrassed to do so. "...I'm making things weird, aren't I?" he miserably mumbles out.

My expression softens at him, as I now give him a comforting smile. "Not really," I quietly assure. "I don't expect you to act as though nothing had happened, so...yeah...?"

Yongguk frowns at my meek comment. "So I really did ruin our friendship, huh?" he dejectedly says, with a sigh.

I blink at him, and then go to hastily reassure him. "No, not at all!" I quickly (maybe too quickly) say. "I just, hmm, how should I say this...have always wondered what if would be like, if you had told me...sooner?"

He blinks at me. "Sooner...?" echoes Yongguk, rather curiously. "Why?"

My eyes find themselves gradually falling down, to the view of the water in front of us. "Because I've always kind of had this little crush on you, and—"

"What?!" blurts out the brunette, with shock. "Y-You used to like me...?!"

I sheepishly look up, to give him a tiny smile. "Yeah..." I softly confess, with a chortle. "I did."

Blinking at me in bafflement, his astonishment now changes into another frown. "How come I never noticed?" he confusedly says. "And...why didn't you ever tell me?"

"Because," I say, feeling fairly sad at the memories. "You were...always too busy, looking at Jieun."

The two of us are now engaged with a rather smothering silence, but I soon break it, with a small laugh.

"Sometimes, I kind of do think that maybe things would be better, if I were with you,” I lightly say. “And not...Himchan."

Yongguk stares at me, and I think I should have probably phrased that a little better, because a glitter of hope, is now evident in his eyes. "Are you saying that you might—"

Knowing what he's about to say, I instantly shake my head no at him. "I like Himchan," I confirm. "It's just that...things have been getting a little difficult, so I guess me thinking of being with you, is a selfish, and rather cowardly way, of me trying to run away, from certain things."

Melancholy sketches over Yongguk's features, and it makes my heavyweight heart, hurt with sorrow. "Does this mean that...he's finally remembered something?" he carefully questions.

"No," I answer. "He probably will, sooner or later, now that Hyosung is in contact with him."

My comment makes Yongguk arch up a puzzled brow, and his lack of response, tells me to continue on.

"Hyosung is his ex," I reveal, in a small voice. "She still has feelings for him, and is also quite keen to get him back..."

"Then..." I hear him say, in an equally as quiet voice. "What are you going to do...?"

A humourless smile forms on my lips, as I brush a lock of hair out of my face. "There isn't much I can do..." I slowly say. "Except...tell him everything."

Yongguk is quiet, as our gaze is now both on the view in front of us. "You said that...being with me, would be selfish of you, right?" I hear him murmur, after a moment or two. "So why don't you..." His voice drifts off, as I hear him move a little nearer. "Be a little selfish?"

Arms encircling me from behind, this sudden movement, where my back is now compressed against his chest, startles me.

"What?" I manage to utter out, with wide eyes.

"Be a little selfish," breathes out Yongguk, once more. "Be a little selfish...and be with me."

I can't seem to form any coherent sentences right now, as my thoughts are once again, jumbled all up. "We've already talked about this, and I can't—" I wearily begin. "I don't feel the same way, and you deserve someone a lot better—"

The way his arms now embrace me a little closer, effectively cuts me off. "But I love you," announces Yongguk. "I love you, Yejin...and I want to be with you."

My heart jumps, but unlike with Himchan, it makes me inhale from shock, choking slightly, from the revelation.

Breathing out a long, slow sigh, I sadly frown, while dropping my gaze back down towards the floor. "Yongguk," I mumble, with an aching heart. "Please...please don't do this to me."

He doesn't say anything, but with the way that his arms are now holding me, I can tell that he's afraid.

"I—" My sentence halts for a second, for me to forlornly swallow. "I will always love you, except that—"

"Yejin?" speaks up another voice.

And when both Yongguk and I, turn around to face a dark haired male, the confused-hurt look on his face, makes a section of my heart, somewhat rip a little.

"H-Himchan?" I stutter, with enlarged eyes. "I was just—"

"What the hell is this?!" he angrily demands.

His anger causes him to recklessly hurl the two cups in his hands onto the side, causing the glass to smash into pieces, just before marching his way over, to push Yongguk's arms off of me, and yank me towards him.

The force of his pull makes me stumble a little. "Himchan, I—"

But Himchan ignores me, and goes to jab a threatening finger at Yongguk.

"You!" he growls. "What the hell do you think you're doing?!" Himchan's glare continues to pierce itself through the unaffected brunette. "Seriously, I have had it with you, and your stupid home-wrecking ways!" His attention now directs itself over to me, and I flinch a little, from the harsh glare on his face. "And you," he says, in a rather frightening tone of voice. "We need to have a serious talk, right now." 

I don't even get a chance to utter a single word, before Himchan begins to forcefully drag me away.

The unusual iron grip that he has on my wrist is extremely tight, and as I struggle to make him slow down, while telling him that his hold is hurting me, I feel as though it's no use.

I'm about to slap him, that is, until I suddenly feel something grab a hold onto my other wrist, and successfully stopping me at a halt.

I look over, to see an equally cold glare on Yongguk's harden face. "Let go of her," he strictly orders.

The deadly expression on Himchan's face intensifies, as he whips his head back over towards the brunette. "Don't tell me what to do," he spits out.

And before either of us can react, a fist shortly collides into Yongguk's face, knocking him backwards.

"Himchan!" I screech, now feeling horrified.

Using that split second, where the dark haired male's guard is somewhat lowered, I use the opportunity, to yank my arm free from his hold.

I then immediately rush over to Yongguk, to frantically check if he's alright, and as soon as I see him remove his hand away from his mouth, I am furious, to see some blood.

My glare directs itself to Himchan, but before I can unleash my rage, he beats me to it, by letting out a snarky scoff.

"I knew it," he sneers. "I always knew that there was something weird going on around here, and I was right." Himchan now crosses his arms together, with his sharp eyes, viciously eying me down. "Something in me, had always told me that there was something...not quite right, about you and I," he bitterly says. "I always had this strange feeling that you were hiding something from me, that had something to do with your so called 'best friend'." Himchan then throws his hands up in a sarcastic manner. "And what do you know, I'm absolutely correct."

He continues his unsettling stare, and even though he's completely misunderstood this whole thing, Himchan's comment about me hiding something from him, makes me secretly tense.

"So why did you do it?" he interrogates. "Why did you lie? Did you really think that I was completely oblivious, to your secret relationship, with Yongguk?"

"No!" I yell out, but then quickly change my tone into a much calmer one. "Himchan, I need to explain something to you—"

"Oh, so now that you've been caught, you suddenly want to tell me things?" he sarcastically says. "Is this the part where you finally tell me about that Youngjae boy?"

At the mention of the younger male's name, it completely throws me off. "What the heck are you talking about?" I question, in irked confusion.

Himchan rolls his eyes at me in disbelief. "Don't act coy with me," he mutters. "What, do you honestly think that I'm not aware, of how much you both contact each other, on the phone?" Himchan lets out a disgusted scoff. "I'm curious now; just how many guys are you seeing, exactly?"

His sneering remark takes me by surprise, shocked at what he’s subtly calling me.

It’s somewhat hurtful, but I force myself to set that aside, as now stand up from where I am, to step myself closer towards him. "Himchan, let me explain," I firmly state.

But the stubborn male just scorns at me, with an expression of distrust. "You've already done enough explaining," he bitterly says. "I now know the reason why you've never told me that you love me." Himchan then nods his head over at Yongguk, who is still sitting on the floor. "It's because of him."

A grumble emits from me, as I can feel my frustration growing with every second. "You're wrong," I snap. "You are absolutely wrong."

"Ha!" Himchan's voice is dripping with mockery. "Don't try to deny this," he coldly says. "I heard what you were about to say to him with my own two ears, and I think it's enough to let me know that you're lying."

Turning away, he now begins to move away from me, so I power walk after him. "Himchan," I start off, in my most firm voice. "Can you just let me—" My hand goes to reach out for his arm, hoping to get a hold of it, so that I can prevent him from walking any further, but his response to my touch, is not something that I'm expecting.

Because when I find myself being shoved backwards, for my legs to give way to the unexpectedness, of the rough push, the shockwave of him doing such a thing, is enough to distract me from wincing at the fall.

And when I feel something suddenly whizz past me, to land his fist onto the icy dark haired male, the shock continues to numb me in my spot.

"How dare you treat her like that?!" barks Yongguk.

Himchan doesn't say anything, except continue to glare back at the furious brunette, after giving his mouth a slight rub. Neither male says anything, as the electrifying glower proceeds on, but something must have clicked, because they're now deciding to handle this, with their fists. My eyes widen at the two who have suddenly engaged themselves into a fight, and although Yongguk may be the kindest thing, who would never hurt a fly, I'm well aware that he's capable of punching someone's face off, if he really wanted to.

Which is why I'm trying my best to prevent this brawl from progressing onwards, because the hits that Himchan has been receiving, is making me more fidgety.

My yelling isn't working, and because I'm feeling really countdown desperate right now, I take off my shoes, and prepare to hurl the two objects towards them.

Although, the only thing that stops me from doing that, is when I feel the air in my lungs, suddenly disappear at what had just taken place.

Because Himchan's body has just fallen over the edge, and into the ocean.

———————————————

A/N: HELLO MY PRETTY LITTLE PETALS HOW HAVE YOU ALL BEEEEEN??? ^__^

Okay, first thing’s first; I am so sorry about this crazily slow update, so I give you permission to continue those evil eyes that you’re giving me right now, LOL .__. I’ve just been bombarded with so many assignments and tests, but thank goodness that's all over now, (breathing has never felt so good omg) because I can now FINALLY return back to letting my eyes be filled with hearts from all of these Korean guys *__*

LOL and of course, update this too, hehehehe :D

I kind of miss those 3am moments, where I would suddenly get this weird burst of inspiration, and would be all, "YES they're totally going to do this, because Himchan will find one sassy way or another to convince Yejin!" because...well, I was kind of sobbing at the crazy amount of work that I had left behind to do, all in one go LOL .__. 

But yeah, once again, I really do feel bad for disappearing without saying anything, but...I guess the main thing is that you now won't be having to wait for a month for an update any more so yay!? LOL :'D