Encounter

Trouble in Paradise

The audience lets out a round of applause, as I finish off my last note. I smile, feeling their support, as they continue to let out their loud cheers. Just before I make my way off the stage, I give a bow, to show them my appreciation. The host then thanks me with a smile, and I grin back as a response. Taking the microphone from me, he then begins to talk to the spectators, until he decides to 'wrap it up' for the evening. And as that was said, people slowly went back to chatting amongst themselves, as soft music proceeded to play in the background.

Everyone went back to socialising away, with either having a drink by the bar, or just having fun in the dance floor. I ran a hand through my hair, and then grabbed my things, feeling exhausted from a long day out, and just couldn't wait to get back home into the comfort of my bed.

You know, sometimes I considered on marrying my bed, but then I realised that my name would be Mrs Bed Yejin, and I don’t think my parents would be too happy about that.

Out of nowhere, the sight of a bottle of water appears before my eyes, slightly surprising me.

My gaze travels up the source, where I was met with a pair of familiar dark orbs. They crinkle with warmth, followed up by his cheerful gummy smile, and seeing that, it instantly makes me smile back at him.

"You did great tonight," compliments Yongguk.

Accepting his drink, I try my best to ignore the butterflies fluttering in my stomach, as I take a sip of the refreshing liquid. "So did you," I say. "But then again, you're always good."

He gives me a sheepish smile, and then shyly thanks me. I couldn't help but chortle at how conflicting it was, to see this timid male, who was practically tearing apart the stage back then, with his powerful charisma. It's amusing, and that was one of the things that I liked about Yongguk. He was always so humble and modest about his talent, of being a great rapper. It was amazing to see how fierce he looked when on stage, with his explosive deep voice, and then the moment he steps off the platform, he would somehow morph into this shy and very gentle person.

The two of us find ourselves talking a little more, and somehow, just being in his presence was able to make me forget about my tiredness. I guess I've always had a crush on Yongguk, since we had randomly met in university, during one of our lectures. It started off as just me admiring him for being a hard worker, but as we got to know each other more, it kind of grew, to the point where my conscious was getting a little angry at me, for always denying my feelings for him. It made more sense, to see how my mood would automatically light up, whenever I would hear his voice.

That, or I would feel like I was the luckiest girl in the world, whenever he would ask me to perform a gig with him. He said he liked my voice, and thought that we went smoothly well together, and I was happy. Oh, and not to mention, but whenever there would be some form of skin-ship, or either of us having to be physically closer to one another, it would make my heart a tad bit crazy. But I chose to keep my feelings to myself, for the past four years, so this...uh, 'crush' thing, had been like an on and off thing. I chose to keep this to myself, because I knew Yongguk only saw me as a friend, or as a younger sister, at most.

But also, I chose to keep this to myself, because I knew he liked Jieun very much.

Song Jieun is simply beautiful. She was elegant, very lady-like, and not to mention, extremely talented as well. Yongguk told me that he liked both of our voices just equally, but I knew he preferred Jieun's much more, because he would always try to work and perform with her, whenever possible. His masculine voice would flow so well with her soft and angelic voice; they pretty much complimented one another so well, so it wasn't much of a surprise, to see the two eventually end up dating. They were the ultimate couple, and I remember just how thrilled Yongguk was, when she had finally agreed to be his girlfriend.

I was pretty sad when I found out, (actually, I tried to cut off as much contact from him as I could) but then I realised that it was much better to see him happy, and gummy-smiling his pants off, than to be heartbroken.

The couple had to eventually split though, when Jieun's family needed to move to Japan (due to her father’s job), and Yongguk was devastated, when she told him that she wouldn't be able to handle a long-distance relationship. It's been two years, and he hasn't spoken (much) about her. I know he's still hung up on her, and is probably waiting for her to come back, or for his job to allow him to save up enough money to go to her instead. My feelings were (and are) very confused, whenever I would think about this. Should I support and encourage him to still chase after her, even though she has already lost feelings for him?

Or should I just tell him the truth, and plead for him to move on...?

"Yejin-ah?" calls a voice, bringing me back to reality.

I blink at the confused blonde male in front of me, "What?"

Yongguk lifts an eyebrow, "Are you okay?"

I nod (probably a little too eagerly as well), and give him a sheepish smile. "Yeah," I reply, "Just a little tired."

A small, somewhat concerned smile makes it way onto his face. "You should head home; it's been a long night," he states.

At the mention of the word 'home', I automatically think about my bed, which makes me stifle back a yawn. "Mm, I really should."

Seeing this, Yongguk nudged me towards the exit of the place. "Go home and rest," he advises. "And make sure you have a safe trip back, alright?"

I nod, blinking back the tired moisture in my eyes that my yawn had managed to create. "Yes sir, appa," I sing, with a cheeky smile.

He chuckles at my response, and then shakes his head in amusement. "Do you want me to take you home?" he asks.

I shake my head, declining his offer. "It's okay, I'll be fine," I reassure.

And then with a little wave, the two of us say our goodbyes, just as I turn around, and begin to weave myself through the crowds of people, with the exit in my mind. I was a couple of meters away from leaving the place, when someone suddenly hollers out my name, making me turn towards them.

"Seo Yejin-sshi?" speaks a male's voice.

I slowly nod, taking in his appearance. His blonde hair is styled in a fashionably spikey way with little wisps, and the colour of it strangely reminds me of Yongguk. A mischievous spark can be seen in his eyes, which makes me a little curious. His nose is high and his mouth is small; overall, his appearance strangely reminded me of a sly fox. Or maybe I only thought of that, because of the bright red blazer that he was wearing, on top of his black outfit. And to top off his stylish attire, he had a simple (yet expensive looking) gold chain, sitting around his neck, which basically screams out “look at me!”

The guy flashes me a smile. "You did a great job up there," he praises. And then without warning, he takes a hold of my hand, and plants a gentle kiss on it; "Of course, as expected, with a beautiful voice, coming from an equally beautiful girl."

Okay, his grease is making me feel weird, and it's not the good kind, either.

Glad to finally have my hand back, I don't hesitate to give him a weird look, as I secretly rub the spot where he had kissed, onto a random part of my dress, in hopes of removing this sudden dirty feeling within me. "Thanks," I manage to say, with an awkward clear of my throat.

Judging from the look on his face, he is either oblivious to my being uncomfortable, or he’s just ignoring it. I then quickly excuse myself from him, and then turn the other way to leave, but unfortunately, he doesn't seem to get the hint, because I can feel him following me.

And my suspicions are correct, as I can hear him introduce himself, while matching my pace.

"Anyway, my name is Himchan," he begins. "Kim Himchan, but you can call me later."

His cheesy comment makes me want to throw up, but not wanting to create a scene, I held myself back, and forced myself to face him with a weak smile. "Okay, that's nice to know, but I have to go," I say.

Himchan's eyes widen at my response, and he chuckles. "Aw come on, I want to dance with you," he pleads. "Or how about I buy you a drink instead, eh?"

I shake my head at him, and decline him as politely as possible; "No thanks, I really have to go."

Just when I take another step forward, something holds me back, and when I turn to look, I see Himchan's fingers lace themselves around my arm. He manages to swiftly yank me towards him, and due to the unexpected motion, I slightly stumble, so now my back is firmly pressed up against his chest. His arms then slowly snake themselves around me, as he lowers his head down next to my ear.

"Come on, stop playing hard to get," he whispers. "I know you want me just as much as I want you."

I shiver at his husky voice, and he chuckles. "Look," I begin, trying not to let my temper get the best of me. "I have to be somewhere right now, and it's quite urgent, so will you please let me go?" Twisting and turning, I try my best to weave myself out of his grip, but he just annoyingly continues to coo in my ear, persuading for me to stay.

Seeing how useless trying to be nice was causes a small sigh to come out of me.

I guess I have no choice but to resort to my next plan.

Angling my elbow towards his stomach, I jerk it into his gut with as much strength as I can conjure up. It's effective, because he lets go of me with a grunt, and I can't help but smirk, seeing him clutch onto his stomach. The crazy weirdo tries to reach out for me again, and as a reflex, I swing my bag in the direction of his face, which causes him to fall down onto the floor. A few ladies and women let out frightened squeals, as they try their best to move out of the way from getting hit. People are now staring at us now with curious eyes, wondering what on Earth had just happened.

I mentally sigh, and shake my head to myself; so much for not wanting to cause a scene...

Himchan lets out a growl, and then points his index finger at me. "Yah!" he yells, while his other hand covers his nose. "D-Did you just hit me?!"

I roll my eyes with a snort, "No, my bag just flew towards your face on its own."

Murmuring is present within the crowd, and I know that at any second now, security would come over, and everything would just get messier.

So not wanting to deal with that, I made sure to quickly slip out of the place, before anything could happen; all while ignoring the aggravated yells and protest of that Himchan guy.