Car Trip

Trouble in Paradise

The car trip to (wherever it is that we're going to go to) wasn't as awkward as I had originally thought it was going to be. Both Yongguk and Himchan had put in effort (like how they had promised) to be civil with one another, and seeing them try their hardest to keep their words true, eased me up quite a lot. Although, a majority of the time, their opinions and thoughts would go against one another, and I was starting to get worried that if this kept up, then the possibility of an explosion (of yelling) happening would be more likely, but...

Surprisingly, they actually ended up finding a common interest.

Yes; both Yongguk and Himchan, two completely different people, have at long last, managed to find something that they can (amazingly) agree on.

And I'm a little unsure of how to feel about this, because the thing that's allowed them to click a little better, is me.

Teasing me, to be exact.

"—and that's how she came to be known as 'that-peppero-explosion' girl," says Yongguk, as he then settles with a chuckle.

Himchan snorts out a laugh. "Ha, you loser!" he obnoxiously exclaims, while looking over at me. He then pretends to wipe away a tear. "Did you have the typical nerdy-looking braids, and giant reading glasses, like those mousy girls in those dramas, too?"

I shoot him an unamused look. "This isn't a drama," I note, and then direct my attention over to Yongguk; "And you, do you really have to tell everyone about my peppero incident?"

Yongguk's entertained eye-smile meets me through the rear-view mirror. "Of course," he happily says. "And the best part about it is that I'm only just getting started."

I'm about to open my mouth for a protest, but Himchan swiftly clamps a hand over my lips, to prevent me from uttering out a single word. "There's more dirt about Yejin?" he excitedly asks. "Come on, share the juicy gossip!"

"There is no juicy gossip," is what I want to say, except that it comes out as an incoherent muffle instead.

A cheeky smile appears on Yongguk's face, as he pretends to ponder.

I know he's finding Himchan's curiosity amusing, and as much as I've been trying to get them to interact with one another, the two of them ganging up on me, isn't exactly the reality that I was hoping for. Yongguk starts off by telling Himchan about our first (and extremely embarrassing) encounter, where I had accidentally walked into the guy's bathroom at the university, instead of the female's. I remember drinking a lot of water that day, and just desperately needing a toilet, so I rushed into the nearest restroom, without thinking.

Slamming the door shut, I quickly lock it, and then undo my pants at lightning speed.

I don't think I've ever been so glad to sit on a toilet before, as the feeling of relief gradually soothes me. When my kidneys feel better, my hand then reaches out for the toilet paper, but to my horror, the roll is empty. I gawk at it for a bit, letting the unfortunate sight sink into my head, just before mentally cursing at it.

My blank mind frantically attempts to formulate a plan, when the sound of someone washing their hands perks up my ears.

And because of this, I then decide to take the chance, (since it’s probably my only chance) to call out for them.

"Excuse me," I say, while cupping my hands together, to amplify my voice. "Is anyone out there? If there is, could you please hand me some toilet paper?"

Silence greets me, and as I wait for a response, I slowly begin to feel the glitter of hope in me diminishing.

What if they didn't hear me?

Or worst; what if that it was just a fragment of my imagination...?

My shoulders eventually sag down in misery, as I quietly exhale out a miserable sigh.

If I don't think of something quick, then I might not be able to show up to my next class.

Or the one after that, or

Suddenly, a handful of toilet paper appears from the small gap underneath the cubicle door. I recoil at the startling sight, as my hand goes to place itself over my hammering heart. My eyes blink at it, as I’m a little frozen, and the person doesn't say anything, except patiently holds it out for me to take it. I eventually come to accept the bundle after a bit, making sure to repeatedly voice out my thank you, to notify them of the immense gratitude.

When I'm finished with my business, and am feeling a lot better, I then make my way over towards the sink to wash my hands, hoping to be able to properly thank my saviour.

But as soon as I'm faced with a red-haired male, the happy look on my face instantly turns into one of confusion.

"I'm sorry, but" I give him an odd look; "This is the lady's bathroom, what are you doing here?"

A curious curved eyebrow is visible on his face. "This is actually the male's restroom," he informs.

Puzzlement consumes me more, as I now go to turn on the tap. "No, I'm pretty sure this is the"

My sentence comes to an abrupt stop, when my gaze follows to what his index finger is pointing at, and when the sight of an exposed urinal hole reaches me, I suddenly find it hard to stop my jaw from dropping down onto the tiled floor. The shock becomes greater as I take in the many others scattered about, where I then begin to question how I had even managed to miss those from the beginning.

Placing a hand over my stunned mouth, an accidental gasp slips out of me.

It’s a bad move, but I manage to work my way around it, to keep my composure together. “Aish, why did they put those here in the female’s toilet?” I mumble, feigning confusion.

The red-haired male just stares at me, perplexed by my comment.

I then shrug my shoulders, and go to casually wash my hands, where I then begin to lightly talk about the strange design of the room to the guy. It makes him look even more confused, and after I dry my hands, I then leave the place, with my calmest poker-face. When I’m far away from the bathroom, my mind then goes to make a mental note to myself, for attempting to avoid that red-haired male, for the rest of my time here at Kyunghee University.

I eventually dismiss the unfortunate event to the side, and then start to make my way towards the lecture hall, quite unaware how impossible that mental note was going to be. 

Himchan's cackling laughter overflows the car, and if it could, then I think it was possible to make the actual vehicle shake.

"Oh, Yejinnie, you are just so..." The blonde's voice trails off, as he shakes his head at me, with a snicker.

"Yah," I begin, feeling much too embarrassed. "Yongguk, you promised me that you wouldn't tell anyone about our real first meeting!"

But Yongguk just quietly laughs to himself, and being surrounded by the teasing from the two, eventually causes me to lean my head against the car's window, with a groan.

And since Himchan is a little -head who is visibly enjoying me being humiliated, he then goes to further question Yongguk about me, and what I was like.

Yongguk thinks about it for a bit. "Even though we weren't in any of the same classes, I know that Yejin was an exceptional student," he praises. "She always gave it her all when we were in the practice room, and Kyungwook sunbaenim would often tell me how she would score 90 and above."

"What?" I give Yongguk a weird look; "That's not true, because I received an 85 before."

Himchan dismisses my comment, as he then shows me a bright smile. "Wow, Yejinnie is a smart cookie, huh?" He then wraps his arms around me for a hug; "That's my girl!"

As I'm practically being smooshed against Himchan's chest, the crinkle in Yongguk's brow, (which are visible from the rear-view mirror) make me force Himchan to let go of me.

He surprisingly cooperates with much ease, as a questioning look then appears on his face. "But who is Kyungwook?" he asks, with a bent eyebrow. "I feel like I've heard that name from somewhere, before..."

I watch as Himchan goes to repeat Kyungwook's name in a mumble for a bit, just before quieting down with an uncertain purse of his lips.

Yongguk goes on to explain how Kyungwook was one of the university's top students.

Kyungwook would never score below a 95 in any of his assignments and tests, and would always be ready to assist you in your studying, if you needed a hand. He was extremely nice, and because of that, it made him very approachable, and therefore, likable. The students aspired to be like him, and the teachers adored him, as they never hesitated to brag about how wonderful he is and whatnot; anyone who went to Kyunghee university, would eventually learn of his name, and his well-rounded character.

I remember how I would sometimes see him visiting the place, and at one point, had even become a temporary teacher there.

He was a really nice individual and all, but—

"—he had a thing for Yejin," says Yongguk, from out of the blue.

"A what?" asks Himchan, with a curious expression.

I shake my head with a tsk of my tongue. "He did not," I mutter, loud enough for Yongguk to hear.

But the male at the front chuckles. "Yeah he did," says Yongguk, clearly entertained. "Why do think he kept coming back all of the time?"

I shrug a shoulder; "To be a good role model, what else?"

The amused look is still on Yongguk's face. "Are you sure about that?" he questions, with a knowing grin.

I stare at him through the rear-view mirror, and then slightly frown.

"And that's all for today," announces the male teacher, from in front of the lecture room.

Instantly, the place becomes ensued with murmurs, as the students begin to assemble their belongings together.

I quickly finish off my last sentence, just before packing away my own things, and then eventually filing out of the room with everyone else. The sun is bright once I'm outside, and depending on their timetable, some students were getting ready for their next class, while others were making their way towards the bus stop. I smile to myself, knowing that I'm part of the latter group, but the happy look on my face suddenly turns into a surprised one, as one of the books in my hand, accidentally slip out of my hold.

Bending down, I'm about to reach out to pick it back up, when somebody else beats me to it.

"Sunbae," I say, feeling surprised at his sudden appearance.

Kyungwook just gives me his signature eye-smile, just before holding out my book for me. "Someone's a little clumsy today, huh?" he muses.

I accept my book back with a tiny chortle. "Thanks," I say. "I'm just a little tired, that's all."

A look of genuine concern appears on his face. "Tired?" he repeats. "Would some coffee wake you up, then?" And then he happily adds; "It’ll be my treat."

I smile a little, but then shake my head. "Sorry," I politely decline. "I can't; I have a tonne of readings to do, and if I don't do them, then my teachers will grill me."

He seems a little upset, but that quickly passes by. "Alright," he concludes. "Study hard, and remember; if you need any help, then don't hesitate to ask me."

I nod my head, acknowledging his kindness, and just as I say my goodbye to him, a group of students happily rush over to him.

"Hey sunbae!" exclaims a male. "I didn't know you were here today."

"Yeah!" adds his female friend. "Will you be coming to our lecture, later?"

Kyungwook shows me one last warm look, just before diverting his attention to the two students in front of him.

"Geez, I'm surprised that he didn't shower you with roses, and then sweep you off the floor, to carry you into the sunset or something," grumbles Himchan.

I frown at the muttering blonde. "You're over-reacting," I state. "It was just a friendly offer for coffee."

"But guys don't ask you to go for a drink with them for no reason," comments Yongguk.

His teasing tone of voice then shifts into one of genuine curiosity, as he then asks me if at one point, I had ever developed the slightest crush on the (much) older, male.

I don't need to think twice about this, before shaking my head no. Yongguk slowly nods his head at this, as the somewhat surprised look on his face proceeds on. He then asks me why, (since Kyungwook was quite popular amongst the female students) and I shrug my shoulders, telling him how I only ever saw him as a senior, and nothing more. I then force myself to elaborate on, pointing out how our age difference (with him being seven years older) made me feel a little odd, causing Yongguk to chuckle.

When in reality, all of my attention had been (and quite sadly is still) on Yongguk.

Himchan finally decides to contribute to the conversation again, except slightly steering it in a different direction. "So did you date anyone, during university?" he queries, looking mildly curious.

"Sort of," I nonchalantly say. Himchan gives me a look that signals for me to continue on; "His name was Suho."

This appears to grab Yongguk's interest. "Ah, I remember him," he comments. "You never really told me why you guys broke up, though?"

My expression softens, as the image of a specific angelic-faced brunette, appears inside my mind. "Suho was..." I pause for a bit, as a fairly sad smile, bit by bit, makes its way onto my face. "Suho was just too nice," I quietly conclude. "I know that’s a good thing, but...he was just so wonderful to me, that it made me feel bad, because I couldn't do anything for him."

Yongguk and Himchan both silently listen to me, as I go on to inform them of my one-sided relationship that lasted for almost three months.

Suho was the type of person who would go out of his way for someone, because it was just in his caring nature to do so. I remember how he would sometimes buy me my favourite kind of cupcake from out of nowhere, or how he would magically appear by my side with an umbrella, to save me from the rain, whenever I would forget my own. Sometimes, he would even surprise me with flowers, as we both made our way towards the lecture hall together, and everything he did was just so very sweet.

His smile never seemed to dim whenever I saw him, and not once, did he appear to be hurt by my inconsiderate actions.

Like the time when I had completely forgotten about our picnic date, or when I accidentally got caught up in an assignment, and was late to his birthday; it was the things like these that made me continuously feel awful, for keeping someone as good as him, by my side.

And it hurt even more, at how he had never once blamed it on me, for he always had the heart to forgive my unintentional thoughtlessness.

After I finish telling my story, a silence takes over the three of us, allowing my thoughts to linger around Suho. Things such as how he is, and what he’s doing come to mind, but then I find myself being pulled out of my reverie, as the car suddenly stops moving.

“Are we there yet?” asks Himchan, while straightening up his posture.

Yongguk gives him the affirmative; “We’re here.”

———————————————

A/N: I know this chapter isn’t very interesting, but I wanted to show you all that not only is Yejin a horrible (yet great, since she makes her lies work in some crazy way?) liar, but she’s also a workaholic, which is another reason of why she’s not so easily developing feelings for Himchan like how we want her to, hahaha. I also know that you guys want to find out more about Himchan, and I can assure you that will! ^^ ...Eventually, but it’s just not right now, haha. Hints will continue to be dropped, but yeah; it won’t be exactly revealed until later. So for now, I hope you can just enjoy the weirdness, of them learning to care for one another, hahaha.

Anyways, thank you so much for reading, subscribing, and commenting! :’D