Effort

Trouble in Paradise

It's been five days, since the awkward Sunday afternoon event, where Himchan, Yongguk, and myself, were sitting together, in a very stifling atmosphere.

Which means that it's been quite a while, since I've last spoken to Yongguk, and because of that, it explains the surprise that I'm currently feeling, as I stare down at my vibrating phone.

"Hello?" I casually say, upon picking it up.

"Hey," greets Yongguk's voice, from the other side.

I smile a little, just before asking him; "What's up?"

"Are you doing anything today?" he enquires.

My lips purse to the side in thought for a bit. "No," I answer, after a second. "I have the day off today."

"Great," is his relief sounding response. "Can I come and pick you up in half an hour?"

I do a double take at my phone. "Wait, what?" I say, now feeling baffled. "W-What's happening?"

"I—" Yongguk halts his sentence for a bit, just before letting out a minor sigh. "I want to apologise," he gently says. "I know that you're probably really annoyed at how nosey I've become with your life, and for that, I'm sorry for being a huge burden to you."

My muscles gradually loosen up, as I slowly lower my gaze down towards the floor.

Yongguk continues on, now sounding a little weary. "The reason why I'm reacting this way is because I care," he murmurs. "You're very dear to me, Yejin; I don't want anything bad to happen to you."

I feel gratified. "Yongguk, I..." My voice trails off, as I'm temporarily stunned by his sombre tone of voice.

"Yejin-ah," he softly says. "I hope you understand what I'm trying to say..."

Straightening up my posture, I then clear my throat, to get my voice going. "I-I do," I stammer. "I know that you're worried, and I'm sorry for making you anxious, so...uh..." I wince a little, at how jumbled up, my feelings and thoughts are at the moment.

And even though I don’t exactly finish off my sentence, I think Yongguk has an idea of what I want to say.

He lets out a tender chuckle, which instantly eases up the quietness. "I'm glad you understand," he notes. "Come on, we can talk about this some more, later. As for now, let me whisk you away somewhere, where we can just forget about our troubles, and have fun."

I lift an eyebrow at his proposal. "...Why does that sound so suss?"

"Aigoo, don't you trust me?" comes Yongguk's amused comment.

"Of course I do," I lightly reply. "But you're making it sound as though we're going to Jeju Island, where you'll assassinate me, or something."

This makes Yongguk laugh, and I can imagine himself shaking his head good-naturedly at me. "Someone's been watching too many movies, huh?" he muses.

"Hey, I can't help but think like that, when you say something as simple as; "lets hang out", in such a weird way," I tease.

"Alright," surrenders the male, over the line. "I guess you're right. Well, enough about this; go and get ready now, and I'll see you in twenty."

"Twenty?" I blurt out, with an incredulous brow. "What happened to it being thirty?"

"Hmm, I changed my mind," he answers, and I can hear the grin in his voice. "Anyway, so I'll see you soon, okay?"

And with that, we both end the call, where I let out sigh.

Where could he possibly be taking me?

The sound of the balcony's door sliding open from out of nowhere, snaps me out of my reverie.

I twist my body over in time to see Himchan step through it, and am suddenly reminded about the laundry. A while ago, the two of us were outside, about to do the chore together, when my phone going off, had caused me to enter back inside. Either Yongguk's phone call took a little longer than I expected, or that Himchan has become an expert in hanging up the washing, but the frown on the latter male's face, tells me that he's upset about something.

"What took you so long?" asks Himchan, with a pout. "I was so lonely out there."

I give him an apologetic look, and then hold up my phone for him to see. "Sorry, I got carried away," I admit.

Himchan strolls over towards the coffee desk, and begins to pack away some of the books on there. "Who was it?" he blithely questions.

"It was just a friend," I lie, feeling a little uneasy.

Maybe it's best to avoid mentioning Yongguk for a while...

"Oh, okay," is Himchan's absentminded reply.

With no more words being exchanged between the two of us, I then begin to make my way into my room, to change into some suitable clothes. I then fix up my hair to make sure that I look presentable, just before grabbing my purse, to have it hold my essentials. Once that's done, I do another check in the mirror, but as I give myself an uplifting smile, Himchan suddenly pops his head into the room. He stares at me for a while, just before opening the door a little wider, to step inside.

I blink at him for a bit, pretending to be oblivious to his curious gaze, just before returning my attention back to my vanity desk.

"Where are you going?" he finally asks.

"Out," I vaguely say.

Himchan raises a snooping eyebrow at me. "Out?" he says, in a questioning tone. "Out where?"

I shrug a shoulder, hoping to look neutral. "Somewhere," I respond. "To be honest, I'm not actually sure where."

This makes him tilt his blonde head to the side a little. "And you're going by yourself?" he queries, stressing out the last part, to emphasis his doubtful expression.

"No, I have a friend with me," I quietly inform.

But Himchan manages to catch that, and it makes him step closer with more interest. "Who is it?" he probes. "Is it Subin?"

I can't seem to reply right away, so I pretend to be inspecting my eyebrows.

And before I can nod my head for another fib, Himchan beats me to it. "It's him, isn't it?" he bluntly says.

A name isn't even uttered, but I know that we're both thinking of the same face.

"What does he want this time?" demands the blonde, now looking annoyed.

I let out a sigh, suddenly feeling drained. "I'm just going to be hanging out with Yongguk for a bit," I say. "I'll be back soon—"

But Himchan lets out a huff, easily cutting me off. "Um, excuse me, but where was my invite?" he dramatically says, while flinging out his hands. "If you're going with Yongguk, then I want to come along as well!"

I blankly stare at him for a bit, just before my hand meets with my forehead.

And just as I'm about to try and convince him to not go, he whizzes pass me, and immediately begins to pick out an outfit, from the closet.

In a matter of ten minutes, Himchan emerges from the bathroom, and then quickly zooms his way over to me. "I'm ready!" he announces, beaming rather brightly.

My eyes blink at him for a bit, just before I give him a nod. "Okay, I just need to put on my shoes," I say, feeling a little uncertain.

As I go to do this, Himchan proceeds to lock the balcony door for me. When I'm finished, and step outside of the apartment with him behind me, he double-checks, and asks me if I have everything in my purse. I nod, and when that's confirmed, I go to lock the front door. The two of us then begin to descend the stairs together, and as we do so, Himchan begins to ponder on where Yongguk wants to take me.

Or in this case, us.

And because Himchan is a rather melodramatic person, he kept pumping out bizarre scenarios, where I was going to get killed, because Yongguk is secretly an obsessed stalker of some sort.

The scenarios continue on, and no matter how ridiculous they all sound, they made me laugh at some point. Himchan's gibberish continues on until we're outside, and as soon as I see Yongguk's car parked in the distance, I then turn back towards the blonde, (whose mouth runs like a motorboat) to hush him.

"Himchan, before we go any further, can you do me a favour?" I calmly request.

He blinks at me, just before giving me the okay. "Anything for you, baby-doll," he boldly coos.

I brush his flirtatious remark to the side. "Alright then, I want you to be nice to Yongguk," I reveal.

"What?!" Himchan explodes; "Nuh-uh, no way!"

His juvenile reaction doesn't seem to surprise me so much, as I slowly exhale out. "Himchan..." I softly say, feeling exasperated.

The blonde now has his arms folded together, with an expression of annoyance, decorating his face. "How am I supposed to get along with someone who constantly has angry eyebrows?" he says, with skeptic expression.

I give him a queer look; "What?"

Himchan lets out a scoff. "They look like this!" he exclaims, and then proceeds to squish his eyebrows down towards his nose bridge like a V.

My unimpressed eyes continue to stare at him. "Seriously, just try to be nice, okay? Yongguk is a very lovely person, so please," I stress out, in a fatigued voice.

It's now quiet, as my stern gaze meets his bothered orbs.

Himchan is the first to break the firm eye-contact with an irritated click of his tongue, though. His fingers itch for a bit, as they then ball up into a fist, and for a split second, I thought he was going to punch the nearest brick wall.

But instead of hitting anything, he swings that arm in the air with a frustrated growl, just before letting out a huff.

"Ugh, fine!" he snaps, as his shoulders drop down in defeat.

I dismiss his cranky behaviour, and press on with my serious expression. "No really," I firmly say. "Just try, okay?"

Himchan rolls his eyes at me, and then glares at a random spot on the floor. "Okay, okay, I will," he bitterly mutters.

I know it's not exactly a confirmed 'yes', and that Himchan is also quite an unpredictable person, because his agreement isn't exactly promising.

But no matter how reluctant he's currently sounding, there's something in me, that's telling me how he might just possibly try.

It's not long before Himchan and I reach Yongguk's car, and I can tell by the semi stunned look on Yongguk's face, that he's a little dejected, by Himchan's' unexpected presence. And because of this, I feel a little shamefaced, for not informing him beforehand. The two males exchange a quick (and slightly awkward) greeting, just before falling back into a rigid silence. I know they're still not fond of each other, but seeing this is a lot better, than how things had begun last time.

I nervously rub the back of my neck, as I flash Yongguk a guilty smile. "Himchan wanted to come along as well, so..." I let out a timid laugh; "I hope you don't mind?"

Yongguk hesitates for a nano second, but ends up shaking his head. "No, it’s fine," he politely says.

Gesturing for us to get into the car, Himchan and I both end up sitting in the back together.