The Interview

The English Teacher

A/N: Because this story is about someone who teaches English, what they are speaking in English, I will be putting in Italics.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Okay, so who wants to go first?" I asked "Anyone?"

They all looked away from me, avoiding eye contact.

"Oh, wait never mind," I said chirpily, "Ahjussi has marked your names beside the questions I have to ask you."

They all groaned again. Jongup shot Zelo a filthy glare, and Zelo shrugged his shoulders in a 'someone was bound to pick it sometime' sort of way.

I started quizzing Yongguk and Himchan on each of their love lives. They each did really well, only slipping up on a few words. I was really shocked at some of the things I learnt.

"Yongguk, you're a pretty scary guy," I read, blushing "How did you tell your first girl friend you liked her?"

Everyone turned around to look at him, Jongup got a quick translation from Zelo, and then starting staring at Yongguk as well. It was obvious none of them had ever asked him about it before.

"Oh . . . eh. Well, she was a close friend, so one day, in the middle of maths, I turned around and told her I liked her." he stated simply and easily. "It wasn't that big of a deal for me. She told me she liked me too. Case closed" he added.

"Yah! In maths class! You couldn't have picked some where more romantic?" I scolded. "Oh crap," I murmered as they all started looking at me, instead of Yongguk.

"Wae?" he asked me. "What happened your first time?"

"Ermm . . ." I stalled for time "Well, the truth of the matter is, since we are currently in a English class, I should tell you in English, right? Well, what happened was . . ." I tried to use as many words as possible and say it as fast as I could, "When-I-was-in-school-I-was-the-freaky-Asian-nerd-no one-liked-me, and that's the end of that" I smiled. Not even Laura, the only person who talked to me back home, would understand that.

"Y-yah! That was faster than Zelo doing his LTE rap!" said Youngjae in awe, while Zelo just nodded.

"Good," I said, satisfied. "Now, Himchan-ssi. How old were you when you got your first kiss?" I asked, moving on.

"Four . . . fourteen" he replied, unsure. I nodded my head at him, telling him, that he was right.

"Erm, Daehyun," I read out the next on the list "How did your first relationship end?" I frowned. Surely that was a bit of a weird question? Is that not a typo? Should it not be 'How did your first relationship start'? No, Ahjussi wouldn't make a mistake like that. I looked up at Daehyun expectantly, but I wasn't expecting his reaction.

His eyes were wide and he was shaking his head frantically. What was wrong . . .? He kept shaking his head back and forth. Finally, he hit the side of his head, like he was trying to get something out of his head. Youngjae grabbed his hand to stop him from doing it again.

"I think I should answer that question," he said in flawless English. I just nodded, still looking at Daehyun. "She spent too much of my money," he laughed.

I laughed back, I was unsure of what had just happened. Suddenly, Daehyun got up off the couch and went down the hall, probably to the bedroom, I guessed.

"Um . . ." I said, with a quizzical expression.

"Best not to ask," winked Himchan.

"Erghh . . . okay," I said uncertainly. "Jongup-ssiyou are the shyest member of the group. But, we heard you were a 'Player' how did that work?" Ah, jinjja Ajussi. Was he determined to embarass me?

Jongup looked at me for a while. I think he was either trying to figure out what I said, or if I was serious. He must have decided I was serious though.

"Erghh . . . really that is not t-t-truth--ful," he stuttered. I nodded encouragingly at him. "I was nice and kind to girls. And of course I could dance and sing so they liked me. I just accepted it," he finished slowly.

"Yah! You boaster!" complained Yongguk.

"Lastly, Zelo-ssi. Are you going out with anyone at the moment?" I flushed red.

Himchan laughed at me. "Are you sure it says that Joyce, or are you just trying to see if our maknae is single?" he teased.

"Yah!" I complained "It say's it right here, see?" I retorted, showing him.

"Sure," he winked.

"Back to me," said Zelo. "Right now, I am. But hopefully not for long." he said looking me straight in the eyes. I started feeling hot under the collar. What was going on?

"I guess that's it", I said, still red. "I better get going. You don't want me under your feet." I started gathering up my stuff.

"No, we should all go out for ice-cream!" said Zelo his eyes lighting up. "Oh please hyung!" he pleaded Yongguk.

"Fine, but only if you can get Daehyun to agree to come . . . I don't think he should be alone right now." he whispered the last part, but I still heard. I looked down, putting all the questions away in a folder.

"Here, Joyce I'll take that," said Youngjae. He took my folder and put it on the bookshelf behind him, as Zello bounded down the hall to get Daehyun to come.

 

                                                                            *                *              *

 

Ten minutes later we were all packed in the back of the company's people carrier, with Yongguk driving and Daehyun in the front. I was sat in the back between Jongup and Himchan. Zelo was left in the very back with Youngjae.

"Yah, you better not fall asleep!" warned Himchan. "I will dump you on the side of the road!" He smiled at me though, to show he was joking.

"Yah! I'd rather fall asleep on Jongup," I retorted. "He's a lot nicer and he doesn't have pointy shoulders."

"Aish, that hurt," he laughed, patting me on the head.

"Ah, stop. You'll mess up my hair." I complained.

"I doubt it. You look very pretty today," he laughed. "Are you dressing up for our maknae?"

"Yah! Stop teasing me! This was the only thing I had clean." I defended myself.

"Well, you still look very pretty. Doesn't she Daehyun," he said tapping Daehyun on the shoulder in front.

"Mwol?" he asked turning around. He looked at me up and down. I suddenly felt very self-conscious and started squirming in my seat. "Yeah, I suppose so," he finally said, looking me in the eyes.

 

"WOOHOOO! WE'RE HERE!!" shouted Zelo from the back. "aren't you excited, Joy?" he asked, hugging me from behind and resting his head on my shoulder.

"If you can't keep your hands off of her Zelo, I'm gonna turn this around, buy cherry tomatoes and eat them in front of you!" threatened Yongguk.

"Aish, hyung. Don't be so uptight!" Zelo cried, but he still let go of me and sat back.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________