An Awkward Silence

The English Teacher

 

 

"Mr. Kim." I squeaked. "What are you doing here."

I grabbed the cast of my left arm, and scratched at it while my hands were behind my back. Did he see it? More than likely he did.

"I'm not allowed to come and see the two of you? You're both hurt." Mr. Kim told me.

"I think that I should go." Daehyun said and tried to get away, but Mr. Kim wouldn't let him go that easily.

"Where do you think you're going, Daehyun? I need to speak to both you and Joyce together." Mr. Kim told us.

"Now?" Daehyun asked. "It's not the best time, hyungnim. Nana is in hospital and Joyce was just hurt, and-"

"Daehyun." Mr. Kim said in a voice of warning. "Stop it."

I gulped. This wasn't going down the way that I had ever pictured it.

"You two, go and get your things." Mr. Kim ordered us.

"Why?" Daehyun asked curiously.

"Because you're coming back to the office with me, I need to speak with you both, and this isn't the place to do so." Mr. Kim told us. He ruffled a hand through his hair, messing it up. He gave the two of us a stern look. "What are you waiting for? Christmas? Go, get your things."

We didn't need telling twice. The two of us turned around and started power walking back to the hospital. Once we were inside and out of Mr. Kim's eye, we slowed down a little.

"What are we going to do?" I asked fearfully.

"What do you mean? We're going to tell him the truth. We were going to tell him today, anyways, so it doesn't matter." Daehyun told me positively. However, I could hear the unsure note in his voice.

"But we were going to tell him before he found out, not the other way around." I said.

"Well, it doesn't really matter now, does it?" Daehyun asked me.

I wanted to tell him that it did matter. I wanted to tell him that now we would have to face Mr. Kim's look of disappointment. I wanted to tell him that Mr. Kim would be madder at us now.

I wanted to tell Daehyun, but I didn't. Why stress him out? He was probably already scared, just like I was, even he wasn't showing it.

 

The squeaking of our shoes was the only sound as we walked down the hall. Without hesitationi we walked staright into Nana's room. We didn't bother to say anything, but we went straight over to our belingings and started to root through them.

Daehyun found everything that was his, and he walked over to Yongguk. He whispered briefly in his ear, and I knew that he was telling him what had just happened.

"What's going on?" Nana asked me, and gave me a hard stare. Instead of telling everyone, I just walked up to her side and bent down to her ear.

"Mr. Kim found out. We have to go and talk to him now." I told her and gave Zelo a filthy look when I saw that he was trying to eavesdrop.

"What?" Nana asked. "Seriously?"

I gave her a curt nod.

"Good luck." She told me.

"Thanks."

"Mwoh?!" Yongguk asked, and Daehyun lowered his hand, trying to tell Yongguk to keep it down.

"Hyung, please." Daehyun pleaded.

"Fine, fine. But I swear if you screw up . . ." Yongguk didn't need to finish his sentence for Daehyun to know what he was threatening.

"Okay. Thanks, hyung!" Daehyun said gratefully and looked at me. "Ready? Let's go."

"Yeah." I said timidly, I didn't want to face Mr. Kim again. I took a deep breath and walked towards the door and opened it.

"Don't be worried, hyungnim's bark is worse than his bite." Daehyun assured me., and gestured for me to go through the door.

"Hyungnim? What's going on?" Himchan asked in confusion.

"Don't worry, Himchan, I'll tell you as soon as they're out of earshot." Nana promised, thinking that I was couldn't hear her.

"Yah! Nana! I can hear you." I told her, coming back. "You could at least wait or something."

"Oh, sorry." Nana blushed. "Sorry, Himchan, I'll have to tell you another time."

"Aish, you're so infuriating." I shook my head."You know I could always tell Zelo what you tell me earlier about-"

I dodged as a cushion came flying my way.

"Missed." I called out to her, and followed after Daehyun, who was already several steps ahead of me.

 

When we got back to Mr. Kim, there wasn't a lot said. He told us to get into his company car. I could tell that it wasn't the same one as the one we had gotten that morning, but there wasn't much difference. It was the same make, model, year, everything.

The car journey was unbearably awkward. No one said anything at all, and no one tried to change that. I twiddled my thumbs and only looked at them. I didn't even look out the window. I was too on edge.

I don't know if Daehyun was the same. He was on the opposite side of the car and Mr. Kim was wedged between us. I didn't even dare try and look across Mr. Kim.

When we got to the building, everyone quietly got out of the car. It was a silent elevator ride up to the office. Daehyun caught my eyes at one point, and he smiled at me, trying to reassure me. I smiled back at him, and Mr. Kim coughed, and we quickly broke eye contact.

As soon as the elevator doors dinged open, Mr. Kim strided out. He walked down the hall to his hall. I scurried after him and Daehyun, who turned around to me and one point.

"Listen, Joyce, don't worry. You're not going to get in trouble." He whispered to me, and quickly caught up to Mr. Kim.

When we were inside the office, Daehyun and I had to sit across from Mr. Kim. It was very intimidating. The mahogny desk that sepertated us, seemed to be bigger than ever.

"Now, does someone want to explain?" Mr. Kim asked and looked pointedly at me.

I let out a shaky breath and summoned whatever courage I had left in me. Daehyun cast me a worried look, which may be because of the squeak I had let out.

"Umm, where do I start? So, basically . . . We really were going to tell you, sir. We were supposed to tell you today, but we couldn't because they had to go to a schedule and we didn't get the chance. And, I would have told you sooner, but I didn't even know myself that we were back together until yesterday. And that was only because of Nana and Zelo. Everything had had gotten messed up, and then we finally fixed it, and it's all screwed up again." I was rabbling, I knew that, but I couldn't stop the hige stream of words that came out of my mouth.

 

"Erm . . ." Mr. Kim said. "Daehyun, do you care to explain? I didn't catch a word of that."

"Neh, hyungnim. So, what happened was that Joy used to be our English tutor. Seungpyo hyung had told us that we weren't allowed to go out with Joyce, but I didn't listen to him. I wanted to have Joyce as my girlfriend. When she agreed, I was really happy.

"The happiest I had ever been in a long time. We were happy, but then Seungpyo hyung found out and Joyce and Nana had to leave. That was an awful experience.

"I didn't get to see Joyce for ages on end. When we had the concert with Big Bang, Joyce came. She was the fan who was hurt, and it was horrible knowing that because of me, she was hurt.

"We never got a chance to talk before she went back to England. We left so many things untied, and we never got an opportunity to fix everything.

"When she came back to Seoul, I made it my mission to get her back. We had a few . . . misunderstandings inbetween it all, but I finally got her back, hyungnim, please don't take her away. I won't ever forgive you if you do." Daehyun said sincerely.

I stared at him, wide-eyed. Did he really think that way? Daehyun grabbed for my hand out of Mr. Kim's sight, and gave it a reassuring squeeze.

I looked back at Mr. Kim, and his face was soft. He quickly put back on his mask, however, when he noticed that we were both looking at him in interest.

"Well," was all Mr. Kim said. I had a sneaky feeling that he was touched by Daehyun's heartfelt speech.

"Mr. Kim, please." I added in my plea as well, for good measure.

 

"I told you young love only brings problems." Mr. Kim told me and pointed a finger at me.

"I thought you agreed that there was some benefits to it, as well?" I retorted.

"True." Mr. Kim said and broke out in a smile.

I frowned in confusion. Why was he smiling? Shouldn't he be biting our heads off now?

"Listen, because I like you, Joyce, I am going to hear you out." Mr. Kim told us.

"What do you mean?" I asked in confusion.

"Tell me what you were going to tell me this morning. I'll make a decision based on that, and inform you of it tomorrow." Mr. Kim told us. "So, who will start us off?"

"Daehyun." I said at the same time Daehyun said my name. I glared at him.

"Fine, I'll start." He conceded. "I think I pretty much covered everything I wanted to say . . ."

Daehyun launched into a huge speech, and he let go of my arm to make gestures. He was like a clown making extravangent actions at a circus.

At one point, he made a wild swing with his arm, and knocked into my arm. He had apologised a hundred times to me, and I had to tell him a thousand times that I was fine, before he continued with his story, not using his hands as much.

Daehyun talked about the benifits of the company helping us have a secret relationship, and he also mentioned that it also helped him sing, as he now had someone to think about as well.

When it gt to my turn, I was a little lost for words. In the end, I just ended up saying that it shouldn't matter that Daehyun was an idol, or that it was "young love". The point was that it was love.

I rehashed a few words and phrases that I had used before, and to be honest, it was a little weak compared to Daehyun's, but it was all I had.

 

There was a moment of silence after I had finished.

"You can go now." Mr. Kim told us.

We both got up, a little startled, and left.

"What;s going to happen now?" I asked Daehyun, as we headed back down.

"I don't know, we'll hear tomorrow." He told me, and entwinned our fingers again.

"Hey, you know that you're really mushy, right?" I teased, trying to lighten the mood.

"You know you're really philosophical, right?" Daehyun joked.

I nodded. "Yes, I do. And I'm proud of that."

"Good." Daehyun told me and pinched my cheek.

I was both dreading and looking forward to tomorrow. It was the final say. Mr. Kim either agreed to it, or he didn't. Daehyun had told me about the time he was auditioning for TS, he thought that he had failed the auidtion, when, in reality, he had passed it.

I was worried that it might be like that situation, only in reverse. Mr. Kim had smiled, but only once. What if it mean the worst?

And besides, if Mr. Kim told me to, could I really give up Daehyun?

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________